The King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match

Gotham Ranger · 6389

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
on: March 15, 2009, 08:15:08 AM
After a generous trade in at Gamestop, I decided to pick up King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match for the PS2. I really loved the first game, so its 10 year anni game should be awesome.

Well, I'd love to enjoy the game, but the problem is I'm having real problems pulling off the DM's in Arcade Mode. Yeah yeah, I've got a normal PS2 pad, they're terrible, blah blah. But I ran through practice mode with my usual mains and I was pulling them off easily. In NeoGeo(Arcade) Mode and in its Practice Mode, I'm having alot of trouble. All the other commands work fine, though. It bugs me because in order to unlock the rest of the boss characters, you NEED to be able to use DMs, as getting to RotB Iori/Leano and Orochi/Goenitz requires you to beat every round with a DM or SDM.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game. Post the usual tripe about how awesome King of Fighters is :P

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:20:15 AM
Y'know, I'm not much a fan of fighting games, but I've also been interested in trying some King of Fighters, since I loves SNK so much.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:22:22 AM
KoF...
I only remembered playing it on the GameBoy, and I Ralf'd through everything... XD

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 08:42:41 AM
Tried my arcade pad that I got second hand. THAT went swell. Probably because it was a crummy pad to begin with :P

My best success seems to be an old PS1 pad because the D-Pad is raised in relation to the PS2 pad. Still having trouble with double qcb's, though. And I played 98 beautifully on the PSP D-Pad >>

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:01:22 PM
KOF, my favorite game series ever :)

I've had the JP version for a while, it's an awesome game, but I'm forced to play it with an awful controller until I can buy an arcade stick >_>

I really want to buy 2002 Unlimited Match soon, it looks so awesome.

Oh, and for those waiting for KOF XII, yesterday we got awesome news (read the scan) ^_^

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 11:51:45 PM
Yeah, 2002 Unlimited Match looks like a good one too. I was thoroughly disappointed by the lack of King in the original and in 2003 they really toned her down.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 11:53:08 PM
I really want to buy 2002 Unlimited Match soon, it looks so awesome.

Oh, don't worry, it is. It's still very much a "funny" game though, if you catch my drift.  8D

Oh, and for those waiting for KOF XII, yesterday we got awesome news (read the scan) ^_^

Yep. A viewtiful game, most definitely.

...Of course, part of me wishes that SNK had a Last Blade 3 in the pipeline, which looked akin to this...  ;O;

Last Blade 1 + 2 are among my favorite FGs ever...a pity that it looks to never get continued...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:53:27 AM
I feel your pain. I really, truly do ;_;

Oh, don't worry, it is. It's still very much a "funny" game though, if you catch my drift.  8D

I think I do, but I'm not sure if I really do.

Random KOF related note to self: In 97, NEVER roll behind a CPU O.Yashiro that has stock, never. X_X

Question to everyone: Who here uses 2DF?

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 01:03:07 AM
I think I do, but I'm not sure if I really do.

Go look up the random vids of a user named "dark geese" on youtube. That should do it.  8D

Random KOF related note to self: In 97, NEVER roll behind a CPU O.Yashiro that has stock, never. X_X

Well, that's just silly, any way. At "best", he'll just do a normal command grab, that will make you eat some damage.

At "worst", he'll DM you, and your soul will then be used as fodder for the Orochi clan.  [eyebrow]

Never forget that the CPU has the obvious advantage of reading your inputs....  8)

Question to everyone: Who here uses 2DF?

Been meaning to, just never got around to doing so...how's your experience with it?

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:12:40 AM
Go look up the random vids of a user named "dark geese" on youtube. That should do it.  8D

Oh, but I have 8D

Well, that's just silly, any way. At "best", he'll just do a normal command grab, that will make you eat some damage.

At "worst", he'll DM you, and your soul will then be used as fodder for the Orochi clan.  [eyebrow]

Never forget that the CPU has the obvious advantage of reading your inputs....  8)

Pretty much, but they just block so much that I get desperate and do it anyways. I blame it on having to use a keyboard XD

Been meaning to, just never got around to doing so...how's your experience with it?

Perfect emulation, but I can not say anything about lag until I can use it in my PC instead of my laptop which would [tornado fang] everything up because of the wireless connection.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 06:58:52 AM
Last Blade 1 + 2 are among my favorite FGs ever...a pity that it looks to never get continued...

Me and my Brother feel you Ben, we really do.

for now, my Brother is loving the [parasitic bomb] out of Breaker's Revenge XD

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 07:05:42 AM
Ooh, that's another NeoGeo game I used to love. I should play it again sometime soon.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:51:34 AM
I should really try some more of their non fighter arcade games, truthfully. Problem is, my only mode of emulation is the PSP and the caches for those damn games are massive space eaters.

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 09:03:29 PM

Terry Bogard is all I want from a SNK game.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 10:09:06 PM
Everyone knows the main attraction for SNK is the incredibly gay Ash

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 12:46:55 AM
Terry Bogard is all I want from a SNK game.

Yeah, but you and I know that some people are never pleased, specially if the game doesn't have the amount of boobs they require =/

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 06:51:14 AM
People forget that we now have flame-less Iori and HE STILL KICKS MOTHERTRUCKING ASS  :V

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 07:05:16 AM
People forget that we now have Freeman and HE KICKS MOTHERTRUCKING ASS  :V

8D

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 07:13:38 AM
Oh U *hand flaps*

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 06:02:03 PM
That's perhaps one thing that does indeed tick me off about Flame-less Iori. For all that he seems to be now, we could have just had Freeman, who, along with Tizoc the Griffon, B. Jenet and/or Gato, would have made a killer "MOTW Team". Screw the fact that they really don't have much in common, this would have been just a team made up for the purposes of a dream match any way.

Alas...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 07:06:20 PM
Screw your MOTW Team, I want my Real Bout Team, there's already been a MOTW team >=(

I want to see Xiangfei, Rick, and Alfred team up to kick some ass in KOF for once. And no, I don't care that Vanessa is pretty much a female Rick.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 07:20:07 PM
Screw your MOTW Team, I want my Real Bout Team, there's already been a MOTW team >=(

Yeah, but it wasn't MY MOTW team.

No Kevin or Freeman? Such a MOTW team could only hoped to be but so good...and that's coming from a guy who loves Tizoc and B. Jenet.  8D

I want to see Xiangfei, Rick, and Alfred team up to kick some ass in KOF for once. And no, I don't care that Vanessa is pretty much a female Rick.

Sad thing is, continuing the tradition from years ago: the "KOF" team and the old "AOF/FF" teams never saw eye to eye on too many things. Among them being how the KOF team was often more prone to just make up their own designs and ideas, rather than utilize already available (and imo, MUCH BETTER) ones.

So, yeah...they'll be willing to add in Strowd, as soon as they're willing to kick out Momo and give us a proper Capoiera user like Bob Wilson or Richard Meyer...  8D