Video games take so long to get to the "game" part these days.

Sub Tank · 5838

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
What's with all these unskippable CG cutscenes?  Tutorials?  Training missions?  Buttloads of story and dialogue?

You're supposed to be thrown into a game in the middle of immediate danger, with little to no idea what to do, and an unhelpful instruction manual.  It's all part of the magic.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Innovation!

Plus the fact that everything is to feel like you're watching a movie now...
Developers wants to attract more people into games, and tutorials is gonna help them.

I'd gladly prefer being thrown into the game right away instead of waiting.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
That's why I love Metal Gear Solid.

Oh wait, no, I don't.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
What's with all these unskippable CG cutscenes?  Tutorials?  Training missions?  Buttloads of story and dialogue?

You're supposed to be thrown into a game in the middle of immediate danger, with little to no idea what to do, and an unhelpful instruction manual.  It's all part of the magic.

Differences in generations my friend. It's also the reason why games with shorter lengths, little to no emphasis on story or multiplayer, yet stellar gameplay (Mirror's Edge, MadWorld) are frowned upon. :(

Since this is related to the thread, one of my nerd wet dream games would be something in the vein of a 3D Zelda 1 using Motion+. *drools*

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I think its because they're mostly targeting the story.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Differences in generations my friend. It's also the reason why games with shorter lengths, little to no emphasis on story or multiplayer, yet stellar gameplay (Mirror's Edge, MadWorld) are frowned upon. :(

I dunno though.

More and more, shorter games are starting to become much more acceptable again. Itoi wanted Mother 3 to be a reasonably shorter game. Vanillaware's new baby, Muramasa (CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO GET HERE!), stands to be a shorter game than its predecessor. And so forth, and so on.

Developers realize that as gamers are growing up, they may not have the time to plop themselves into another 40+ epic. This is especially becoming more of a standard for Japanese audiences, where the overall gamer-base has decreased as the old guard has grown up, and the economy has made it so not as many children are being born to replace 'em.

A greater part of me is hoping that this type of climate would be conducive for beat 'em ups like Double Dragon and Streets of Rage, as well as other Arcade-styled genres to make their come-backs, much like Fighters have done so in the last year and some change. But we will have to wait and see...

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Never play Star Ocean.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Actually, you should play Star Ocean for the opening cutscene.

"Would you like some coffee, captain?"
"Yes, I'd like that. Thank you."

<3

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
BATTLETOADS!
It just came to mind, that's all.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Buy a pinball machine

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 11:40:16 PM
Until you realize you get one of the pinball machines that wants to tell you a story before the game starts. >U<

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 11:41:48 PM
That only happens until you insert a coin.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 11:44:35 PM
I think Demon's Crest is one of the few, maybe the only, games that start right away with a boss fight.
No [tornado fang]ing around. Just pure survival.

I liked that about MMX back when it was released. I hit start and WHAM, I'm right in the middle of sofullofactionyourasswillbeblownaway, which was supported with kickass music.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 11:51:20 PM
which was ruined with IHX.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 12:00:59 AM
I did like that about DMC3 as compared to DMC4. Yeah, there were some tutorial screens, but other than that, HERE COME THE ENEMIES!

I played that stage a number of times having fun trying to get Rank S before I finally decided to come back to it later.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 02:52:33 AM
I think Demon's Crest is one of the few, maybe the only, games that start right away with a boss fight.
No [tornado fang]ing around. Just pure survival.
Castlevania Symphony of the Night would like to have a word with you.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 02:59:57 AM
As you can see, this is a Playstation Black Disc. Cut number one contains computer data, so please don't play it. But you probably won't listen to me anyway, will you?

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 05:21:11 AM
Megaman Battle Network! *argh*

Really, the first two games.. Okay, a tutorial, but by game 3, if you're just jumping into without having played it before you're doing it wrong.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 06:11:58 AM
Ahhhh MegaMan 9. How I love you so!

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 08:08:10 AM
You know, I agree completely. Then again, this goes back to the fact that most devs are focusing on making the games pretty and attractive as opposed to making the game fun. Sad but true.

If there's story segments in games, they should be integrated in gameplay segments, I find. Cutscenes can be good, but if a game overuses them too much (as is often the case nowadays), then it pulls the people out of the experience... well, the people who play for the gameplay at least. The sad truth is that lots of people are graphic whores nowadays. Take what was my class as an example... a total of 3 out of 12 students (myself included) truly understood what gameplay is, the rest were mostly concerned about if it looked good. From what I see at other sites, the graphic whores are a lot more prevalent than I'd like, and most companies are concerned about focusing on them.

Not to say that all companies are like that, quite the contrary. But if you look at some of the games that have come out recently (New Prince of Persia comes to mind immediately), you'll see where some companies are aiming.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 09:52:17 AM
Castlevania Symphony of the Night would like to have a word with you.
Allow me to correct myself -- Werewolf The Last Warrior for the NES would also like to disagree with Acid.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 11:19:56 AM
Which is handy, because it means you realise that Werewolf The Last Warrior is a terrible terrible game and stop playing it that much more quickly.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 02:25:12 PM
Allow me to correct myself -- Werewolf The Last Warrior for the NES would also like to disagree with Acid.

I do not know that game, but Castlevania was less direct than DC in those regards.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 07:23:28 PM
Want to know what's godly? A skip cutscene button.

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 07:25:40 PM
Want to know what's godly? A skip cutscene button.
I usually press the start button.