Fighter's Log: So I Finished Building a Controller (1 year ongoing project)

Copy X · 2026

Offline Copy X

• B-Class Hunter
  • RPM's Forgotten Warrior.
    • View Profile
Everyone has his or her own special hobby and for myself being a competitive gamer in the fighting genre, I always had the notion to use my technical skills to build an arcade stick to not only show off when competing in tournaments but also because I wanted to try something new thing. The nostalgia factor is a plus.

I was never found of using the standard pad controller since I grew up playing when arcades were popular and did not have the money at the time to get a console so you can assume how many quarters were spent. as well as I learned execution on the arcade scene and my thumb can only endure so many strict timing moves. (Mostly 720's and Just frames)

I decided to take on the task of atleast puting aside 1 hour per week to invest in this project (11 hour work shifts and life in general of course make it difficult for spare time) and I finally finished it after so long. Please note that for the original case I used an existing Tekken 3 Hori Stick (1st generation) due to it's compact size. The materials used were of course Sanwa Parts for the buttons and the stick itself, an original PSX controller (killed a good controller :/), a drill, plexi glass for the cover, some wiring and a little bit of soldering techniques and a voltmeter to ensure there are no shorts/open circuits. After everything was set and done I was happy with the results. Looking back I'm happy I was able to accomplish my goal.

Through hard work and dedication anything can be accomplished if you put your mind into it. Take it from someone who also does real life fighting and the such. Hard work does pay off my friends. ;)

Without further ado here are some pics.

http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad109/FDKArtist/Kenichi%20Stick/?action=view&current=102_0644.jpg
What a mess!
http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad109/FDKArtist/Kenichi%20Stick/?action=view&current=102_0676.jpg
I didn't like the yellow buttons I installed, so I changed it to black and white to match the custom yin and yang washer. =)

http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad109/FDKArtist/Kenichi%20Stick/?action=view&current=PICT0056.jpg
Tadah!

Also just because if you stumbled upon this page and it seems like I'm more a fighter than a Rockman fan like you guys, I address thee to this last pic.

http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/ad109/FDKArtist/?action=view&current=PICT0089.jpg  8)

Thanks for your time. I enjoyed writing this up and sharing a little info on myself. Feedback, comments, and questions are appreciated. Until the next project.

-Copy X

To try something new, is to explore your true potential.

-CX

Offline Emiri Landeel

• M i s s i n g   i n   a c t i o n
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Put your faith in me and I'll show ya.
    • View Profile
Great stick! owob
Hmm... if it's Tekken stick, it must be 4-ways.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Holy.......

That is IMPRESSIVE! Excellent work!

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Copy X

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Great stick! owob
Hmm... if it's Tekken stick, it must be 4-ways.

I put a square gate in it to make it 8-way adjustable. Need them diagonals afterall. The original one was 4 way. Couldn't feel them corners. lol.

Thanks for the compliment fellas.

Posted on: February 10, 2010, 15:47:11
It has asquare gate in it but got one that is 8-way adjustable. Need them diagonals afterall.  lol.  The original one was 4 way. I couldn't feel them corners.
 8)

-CX

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Hoo, glad to see another fans of The strongest disciple Kenichi! awesome design!

Though I'm not a fan of fighting game, I assure you, that's one slick arcade stick.  owob

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Cpie

• Master Artist as well
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
excellent work! :)

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Cool. I wish I knew anything about electronics

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Awesome :O

Also, judging from the last pic, you've gone to EVO? How is it? I'd love to go, but it's impossible for me unless someone buys me plane tickets.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Copy X

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Out of all the tournaments that I've been to, EVO is truly the epitome of the fighting game scene. Besides meeting new people and fierce competition, the atmosphere as a whole is amazing. I only entered for Tekken since the sign up fee is quite high and to be honest, I put more time in that game than I did with the others at the time so I felt comfortable. Out of 130+ constestants I was able to make it to top 60 which almost got me into the semis. Ran out of steam and got impatient with chasing people that are scared.  :| XD

ninja edit- Here's the vid for the last match of mine:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSA4aSWi09I

Truth be told though Taiyo, I was fortunate that my 2 weeks vacation landed around the time frame when it was held so I planned (along with some friends) to make a trip to Las Vegas Nevada. To be honest, you really have to plan out ahead of time as far as where you'll be staying, transportation method and such. Everything is pretty expensive in the end if you don't book far in advance, so I did manage to save some money in that aspect. Also I won $180 in gambling so it turned out great and stopped once I did. haha. owob Seeing slot machines in the weirdest of places did make it have that "authentic" Vegas feel. This would include when you arrive in the airport, 7- Elevens, supermarket and even bathrooms... XD Out of the entire trip.Though the women constantly approaching you for "you know what" is funny at first but man I tell you what, they are some *Hor... net women* that can't take a no. haha. My gentlemen status won't fall to their succubi powers rest assured. The Belmont's have taught me well.

-CX