New Super Mario Bros. Galaxy 2 Wii Turbo Edition

HyperSonicEXE · 136328

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: October 05, 2009, 02:47:43 AM
Any info or thoughts on the upcoming Wii Mario games, post 'em here!

Looking forward to the Groovy, Tubular, Mondo, Way Cool Spin Jump in NSMBWii!

And, of course, Galaxy 2, more of my girl! Talkin' 'bout, my giiiirl' my girl~~

I'd like to see Bowser go back to being SMB3 badass again. Skulls, military equipment, laser statues, hand of doom, heck yeah! /wii

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:06:43 AM
I just want some new super mario galaxy 2, yoshi action FTW, the new super mario bros. is okay but it doesent matter for now since the four player idea seems odd to me but whatever.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 04:15:43 AM
New Super Mario Bros. Wii will be an excellent game to play if only because everyone in my house knows how to play Mario and I love games where Magnificent Bastardry is rewarded. XD

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:17:58 AM
I just hope my brother will play NSMBWii with me, it could be so much fun. Oh well, if not I always have my friends on the rare occasion they show up =/

Oh yeah, and 7 koopalings + Bowser Jr. was confirmed for it right? That, 4 player co-op, classic Mario gameplay, how could this game even be anything short of greatness? 8)

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 05:04:35 AM
4P multiplayer, co-op, Yoshis, Koopalings: that game is going to ROCK!

So, I wonder what the final boss is? Both games, actually. We already got Dry Bowser...Dry Koopalings? And Galaxy 2; I predict Red Star Bowser. Ooooh, that's a scary thought. Oh wait, since they're shooting for SMW influences, we might see the Koopa Klown Kopter!

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 05:33:43 AM
I have an idea for that, make it Super Nova Bowser and say that he somehow absorbed the energy from that super nova in the ending of Galaxy. It could be cool if done right.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 05:40:32 AM
Since I'm just a BIT more excited for a new 2D-style Mario than a 3D-one? NSMB Wii is definitely high on my list atm.

The fact that Roy and the other members of the "Magnificent 7" are also back makes me VERY happy.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 05:47:48 AM
I'll be a bit disappointed if they're not in Galaxy 2, there's no reason for them to not be there. In fact, it'd be better than the Jr->Bowser->Jr->Bowser-Jr->Bowser from the last game.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 06:05:09 AM
I'll be a bit disappointed if they're not in Galaxy 2, there's no reason for them to not be there. In fact, it'd be better than the Jr->Bowser->Jr->Bowser-Jr->Bowser from the last game.

Well, we've already seen Megaleg 2 lugging around a Grand Star. Plus, we'd have seen the Koopalings, by now.

Perhaps they'll shift SMG1 Midbosses to Boss status. Who knows.

I have an idea for that, make it Super Nova Bowser and say that he somehow absorbed the energy from that super nova in the ending of Galaxy. It could be cool if done right.

They'd play up Bowser having the same Spin that Mario had. He uses it in the second Bowser battle in SMG1. Where he got it from, I don't know.
Save Giga Bowser for SMG3. OOOOH YES.
Also, I just replayed this game, and noticed Bowser uses that Rolling Bowser attack from M&L3 in SMG1 as well. That's gotta be an SSB4 move, now.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 04:07:19 PM
Koopalings will be in NSMB Wii, I'd say they probably feel they've covered that gap.

I will have stupid amounts of fun with New Super Mario Bros. Wii. My friends aren't really the most hardcore gamers, but everybody loves Mario, so I'm sure the 4P thing will be the perfect excuse for awesome parties.

As for Galaxy 2, I try not to think about it too much because it won't be available for a while. But it's my most anticipated title of 2010, by far.

Offline Jazz Shaking

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 10:32:32 PM
So big new on the "Demo Play" feature from New Super Mario Bros. Wii...

http://kotaku.com/5374432/kind-code-demo-shows-new-super-mario-bros-on-auto+pilot

The mysteries about Nintendo's experimental helper-mode (aka the "kind code") are no more, as today Kotaku was finally able to see the innovative feature in action in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

The assistance mode will be introduced in Nintendo's marquee November title for the Wii and is officially called the Super Guide. Using it, players who struggle with the classic side-scrolling action in New Super Mario Bros. Wii will be able to let the Wii run through a level on its own, automatically playing through the content without the gamer's input. Players will have the option to re-assume control at any time.

Nintendo's attempt to introduce a special helper mode in Wii games was first reported by Kotaku in January when it came to be known, informally on this site, as the "kind code." In June, Nintendo's development director, Shigeru Miyamoto, confirmed the mode's inclusion in New Super Mario Bros., though the company seemed conflicted at the time about spilling the beans.

Any hesitation about revealing the mode ended this morning when, in a hotel demo suite in New York, Kotaku was shown how the Super Guide works. Nintendo is using this new help option to offer an unprecedented amount of in-game assistance, but it will only be available to players using the game's single-player mode who have failed at a level eight times. Nintendo's intent is to offer Super Guide as a helper for its less skilled customers and to allow its designers to make some of the game's levels devilishly difficult.

New Super Mario Bros. gives a starting player of the game five lives. So, to activate the Super Guide option this morning, a Nintendo representative had to sacrifice her Mario character five times, then use a Continue option to replenish her lives before losing the rest needed to enable the help. Once she did that, a floating green box appeared at the start of the level she had repeatedly failed at. Hitting it with Mario — the only available playable character in single-player — will restart the level in Super Guide mode. Mario is replaced with a computer-controlled Luigi, who then proceeds through the level on his own.

The recorded Luigi playthroughs are run in-engine, not as pre-recorded video. They are, essentially, the equivalent of "ghost modes" commonly available in racing games, though the player can only watch Luigi do his thing, not play alongside him with Mario.

The Nintendo rep showed Kotaku two Luigi super-guide runs. She explained that these would be simple zips through the game's levels and would not reveal shortcuts and secrets. The runs were definitely not the perfect playthroughs that a gamer might find if they searched YouTube for an expertly played Mario Bros. speed run. A more faulty human hand was evident. In fact, in this pre-release version of the game, the first Luigi run that I was shown ended prematurely when Super Guide Luigi died halfway through the level. That's not supposed to happen in the final build, Kotaku was told. In the second Luigi run, the Mario brother got through the level on his own without any trouble.

What separates Super Guide from traditional video-based playthroughs of game levels is that the player can assume control during the Luigi run. At any moment, the player can press a button and cancel the computer control of Luigi. An indicator showing that that game is in Super Guide mode stays on screen, and the player assumes control of Luigi, rather than switching to Mario. But the breakthrough in the feature is that the player is not starting the level from the beginning. They are taking control in the midst of the Super Guide run. Thanks to this, players who repeatedly struggle with a tough part of a level in New Super Mario Bros. Wii will be able to let Super Guide Luigi get past that tough part for them. Even though a player takes over as Luigi using this help system, the completion of the level counts and they can play deeper into the game.

The levels of New Super Mario Bros. Wii I saw today seemed harder than those of the last side-scrolling Mario platformer, New Super Mario Bros. on the DS. Super Guide does appear to have given Nintendo license to make the new game tougher and may provide the relief some players need to get to the end of the latest Mario world-hopping adventure.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 10:46:07 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if that topic on the new "Kind Code" feature still exists.  If not, it might be worth a new one.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 11:33:09 PM
What kind of "devilishly hard" are we talking about, here?

If it's SMB2JP-esque, forget it, this game's going back after I'm done.
If it's SMB3 World 8 with Small Mario Only-esque, fine, I can appreciate a non-cheap challenge.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 11:36:15 PM
You think that little boswer could absorb me? More like he tries to contain my power but I control his body and destroy the galaxy muahahaha!
All I want to do is fly like crazy on both games.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 11:38:59 PM
Quoth Kotaku:
Bosses in the campaign include the cast of Koopalings from earlier Mario games. Bowser and Bowser Jr. are nemeses as well. In the one fortress level that we played, the first Koopaling was not any tougher due to four of us fighting him. In fact, even though the platform on which we fought him was crowded with our quartet, he took his beating more quickly.

Ah ha. So the Koopalings will be taking up some of Bowser Jr.'s slots, going by NSMB(DS) standards.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 11:47:17 PM
Well I just want it to be harder if your playing with more people, I mean wouldnt it just be easier and not really a challange?

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 11:54:06 PM
Well I just want it to be harder if your playing with more people, I mean wouldnt it just be easier and not really a challange?

Like the reviewer said in the full article, that really depends.

On small platforms over bottomless areas, it'd be worse.
Boss fights, or in places with a lot of enemies, it's a snap.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 12:00:25 AM
Possibly, also the fact that Nintendo wants it to be more friendly, but its a MARIO game, its supposed to be fun and slow coming
Like the reviewer said in the full article, that really depends.

On small platforms over bottomless areas, it'd be worse.
Boss fights, or in places with a lot of enemies, it's a snap.
well since this new game is talking about co-op then I believe that we will have more ground levels and sea levels, oh yes, we need a space level, with ME as the boss.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 08:51:23 AM
Dying 8 times to unlock hand-held mode? That seems a bit much..

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 08:52:05 AM
I would think kids would give up at 4-5 lives lost.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 09:03:00 AM
Dying 8 times to unlock hand-held mode? That seems a bit much..

wazzat?

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 09:03:55 AM
Hand-holding mode, sorry.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 09:06:39 AM
Hand-holding mode, sorry.

I still don't know the mode you're talking about <.< Was it in NSMB DS or SMG1?

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

So big new on the "Demo Play" feature from New Super Mario Bros. Wii...

The mysteries about Nintendo's experimental helper-mode (aka the "kind code") are no more, as today Kotaku was finally able to see the innovative feature in action in New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

The assistance mode will be introduced in Nintendo's marquee November title for the Wii and is officially called the Super Guide. Using it, players who struggle with the classic side-scrolling action in New Super Mario Bros. Wii will be able to let the Wii run through a level on its own, automatically playing through the content without the gamer's input. Players will have the option to re-assume control at any time.

Nintendo's attempt to introduce a special helper mode in Wii games was first reported by Kotaku in January when it came to be known, informally on this site, as the "kind code." In June, Nintendo's development director, Shigeru Miyamoto, confirmed the mode's inclusion in New Super Mario Bros., though the company seemed conflicted at the time about spilling the beans.

Any hesitation about revealing the mode ended this morning when, in a hotel demo suite in New York, Kotaku was shown how the Super Guide works. Nintendo is using this new help option to offer an unprecedented amount of in-game assistance, but it will only be available to players using the game's single-player mode who have failed at a level eight times. Nintendo's intent is to offer Super Guide as a helper for its less skilled customers and to allow its designers to make some of the game's levels devilishly difficult.

New Super Mario Bros. gives a starting player of the game five lives. So, to activate the Super Guide option this morning, a Nintendo representative had to sacrifice her Mario character five times, then use a Continue option to replenish her lives before losing the rest needed to enable the help. Once she did that, a floating green box appeared at the start of the level she had repeatedly failed at. Hitting it with Mario — the only available playable character in single-player — will restart the level in Super Guide mode. Mario is replaced with a computer-controlled Luigi, who then proceeds through the level on his own.

The recorded Luigi playthroughs are run in-engine, not as pre-recorded video. They are, essentially, the equivalent of "ghost modes" commonly available in racing games, though the player can only watch Luigi do his thing, not play alongside him with Mario.

The Nintendo rep showed Kotaku two Luigi super-guide runs. She explained that these would be simple zips through the game's levels and would not reveal shortcuts and secrets. The runs were definitely not the perfect playthroughs that a gamer might find if they searched YouTube for an expertly played Mario Bros. speed run. A more faulty human hand was evident. In fact, in this pre-release version of the game, the first Luigi run that I was shown ended prematurely when Super Guide Luigi died halfway through the level. That's not supposed to happen in the final build, Kotaku was told. In the second Luigi run, the Mario brother got through the level on his own without any trouble.

What separates Super Guide from traditional video-based playthroughs of game levels is that the player can assume control during the Luigi run. At any moment, the player can press a button and cancel the computer control of Luigi. An indicator showing that that game is in Super Guide mode stays on screen, and the player assumes control of Luigi, rather than switching to Mario. But the breakthrough in the feature is that the player is not starting the level from the beginning. They are taking control in the midst of the Super Guide run. Thanks to this, players who repeatedly struggle with a tough part of a level in New Super Mario Bros. Wii will be able to let Super Guide Luigi get past that tough part for them. Even though a player takes over as Luigi using this help system, the completion of the level counts and they can play deeper into the game.

The levels of New Super Mario Bros. Wii I saw today seemed harder than those of the last side-scrolling Mario platformer, New Super Mario Bros. on the DS. Super Guide does appear to have given Nintendo license to make the new game tougher and may provide the relief some players need to get to the end of the latest Mario world-hopping adventure.

http://kotaku.com/5374432/kind-code-demo-shows-new-super-mario-bros-on-auto+pilot

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 09:20:29 AM
...scroll up, read text?