So, I wanna watch some giant robots

Gotham Ranger · 8420

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
on: June 28, 2009, 04:49:03 AM
Wasn't sure if this belonged in Anime & Manga since its more of a suggestion topic.

So, RPM, I'm bored. Only twice have I actually gotten into anything involving large robots, that being Gundam Wing and Neon Genesis Evangelion. Really, I think the only reason I feel like watching something is all Marka Gatha's fault, what with the shining finger nonsense.

So basically, what this is is I'm wondering if G Gundam would be something good just to sit down and watch without any prior knowledge. Thats really what I'm looking for. Something I can just jump into without worrying too much about what the hell else is going on, though I am open to other suggestions.

What say you?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 04:53:37 AM
Hmm, you know looking at it now, I don't think I've watched that many mecha anime, but I'll recommend what I've watched and liked.

You already said that you liked and watched Gundam Wing so that's one... G Gundam will definitely be well received by you if you're looking for kick ass from the get go. I'll make a recommendation for Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan, especially if over the top action is all you're focused on, but keep in mind it's pretty hit or miss for a lot of folk.

Also, while not an anime, I highly recommend the hilarious Megas XLR. XD

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 04:57:02 AM
I've seen a bit of both of those, actually. Gurren Lagaan was on the Sci-Fi channel, but I only caught bits and pieces. Didn't see the beginning so I had no clue what was going on. So thats why it was probably a miss for me :P

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 04:58:36 AM
Also, while not an anime, I highly recommend the hilarious Megas XLR. XD
I recommend it!

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 05:14:44 AM
Something I can just jump into without worrying too much about what the hell else is going on

You should watch Code Geass.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 05:15:45 AM
Watch SD Gundam on a giant robot sized TV.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 05:21:48 AM
You should watch Code Geass.
Does it include giant robots to counter out its stupid name?

Watch SD Gundam on a giant robot sized TV.
so like.. An IMAX?

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 05:31:05 AM

Yes. I suppose it does.

They don't really counter its stupid plot twists, but the show probably wouldn't be half as enjoyable without them, so...

Oh, oh, I know, you could watch Strike Witches! There's a giant robot in a few episodes of that!

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 05:34:47 AM

they're not really giant. and they're not the focus of the show either.

G Gundam would be a good watch. Gaogaigar would be an even better watch. i'm a big fan of Godannar, so i'll give a biased reccomendation for that.

however, based on the two examples you gave, it seems like you would prefer a more serious show. the ones i've listed aren't so serious. if this is the case, you would prefer any Gundam that's not G or SD. and out of those, i would suggest 08th MS Team.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 05:43:07 AM

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 05:43:42 AM
The two I posted were just what I happened to enjoy. It doesn't have to be serious.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 05:47:17 AM
Oh also just mention something about an earlier suggestion, Code Geass right, it's more of an anime with emphasis on the human drama sides of things as opposed to all out rumbles with giant robots. There isn't nearly enough mecha action in the show... However, the few moments in season 1 where there are serious mech fights are superb.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 06:33:30 AM
Also, while we're at it, I'll take any robot game suggestions for SNES, Genesis, CPS2, Neo Geo Arcade, GBA, PSX or PSP. No RPGs or Tactical stuff (so no SRW). I just wanna have a kickass rumble with metal

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 09:47:06 AM
I recommend it!

WHAT THE [tornado fang]!? Giant Robots from AMERICA?! How in the world is this supposed to work!?

---

*ahem*

So, you're looking for easily digestible mecha. G Gundam and Gurren Lagann have already been mentioned (though I wouldn't say they are easily digestible, they have good characters, well, G Gundam at least for that matter). The question is, do you just want giant robots beating each other up or can it be something more complex?

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 09:54:31 AM
It can be more complex, yes.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 09:55:07 AM
isn't gao gai gar legendary or something?

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 10:02:23 AM
It can be more complex, yes.

Well, in that case I'd recommend the stuff I liked. CODE GEASS - Lelouch of the Rebellion, although it's more character and plot driven than full of skull-splitting mecha. Pretty much all the alternate Gundam universes (i.e. everything but Universal Century) are easy to get in since they are only one series save for Cosmic Era and independent from Mobile Suit Gundam, Vision of Escaflowne is pretty awesome if you have no problem with the character designs and the often overlooked animations for the Zone of the Enders games, 2167 IDOLO and Dolores, i are good as well.

Oh yeah, and obviously, Macross - Do You Remember Love?.

All of the above mentioned is Real Robot however (G Gundam on the other hand, is Super Robot cosplaying Real Robot, and the Zone of the Enders animes border inbetween).

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 10:18:37 AM
Real Robot, Super Robot.. Terms I am not familiar with yet, yo

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 10:42:43 AM
Real Robot is the genre that Gundam pretty much invented. The robot is military hardware and is used as a combat unit in the regular army. It usually is appearing much more realistic, gets damaged and all that kind of stuff.

Super Robot is the genre that was more or less there when Robots first came around. Giant Robots to fight off alien invaders and that stuff, ridiculously powerful, usually powered by sheer willpower of it's pilot and attack names being yelled. Also often features a team of pilots and they then form their robot from their individual vehicles.

Examples Real Robot: Mobile Suit Gundam (though the original still had some Super Robot tropes), Patlabor, CODE GEASS, VOTOMS, Macross
Examples Super Robot: Mazinger Z, Gurren Lagann, G Gundam, Voltron, GaoGaiGar

Real Robot @ Wikipedia
Super Robot @ Wikipedia

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 04:29:24 PM
[...] i'm a big fan of Godannar, so i'll give a biased reccomendation for that. [...]
Motion supported.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 09:03:24 AM
So, on G Gundam. Sub or Dub? Now, it really wouldn't matter to me normally, as I'm not subfag and I don't care, but I've heard some of the dub for G Gundam and I'm not so sure.

Also, games for aforementioned systems, plz

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 11:23:14 AM
So, on G Gundam. Sub or Dub? Now, it really wouldn't matter to me normally, as I'm not subfag and I don't care, but I've heard some of the dub for G Gundam and I'm not so sure.

Mark Gatha as Domon is fine and all, but I'd take the Japanese version any day. It's [tornado fang]ing Seki Tomokazu for crying out loud, and this is the role that made him famous.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 11:50:07 AM
It was less Mark Gatha and more everyone else. The scene in question involved Domon taking on a Gundam who's attack was something called "Gaia Crusher" or something like that and he was attempting to smash the Domon's Gundam's hand. In the scene, it has some douche rambling on about how the opponent gundam's pilot actually tried to save his wife and it was just so badly emoted.

That, and I'm having a really hard time finding ep 1 subbed because of PSPtubes limitations

Edit: Found some subs, its all good. Also, RPM.. SHAME ON YOU! You let me forget about Big O! That would be 3 giant robot shows I enjoy, but the fact none of you even mentioned it.. Its Batman with a giant robot and no bat nipples! What is WRONG with you?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 06:50:29 PM
maybe because it never properly finished?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 07:10:09 PM
WHAT THE [tornado fang]!? Giant Robots from AMERICA?! How in the world is this supposed to work!?
incredibly awesomely.