Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread

Align · 344195

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #625 on: June 18, 2010, 10:21:48 PM
I promised myself never to waste a single thought on continuity or timeline matters. It's meaningless and doesn't affect gameplay at all.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #626 on: June 18, 2010, 10:27:18 PM
Not to mention Zelda's continuity is constantly rewritten.

Ganon, I think he's been proven to always be the same guy going through time and dimensions and causing crap to happen.
More like the same two guys.  FSA provides another origin to "Ganondorf" separate from that of OoT, which centers around his trident rather than the Triforce of Power.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #627 on: June 18, 2010, 10:28:02 PM
They should do an origin to his Trident, and bring back Ganon.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #628 on: June 18, 2010, 10:29:59 PM
I promised myself never to waste a single thought on continuity or timeline matters. It's meaningless and doesn't affect gameplay at all.
True that. Continuity isn't given a single thought except in games like Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.

Not to mention Zelda's continuity is constantly rewritten.
More like the same two guys.  FSA provides another origin to "Ganondorf" separate from that of OoT, which centers around his trident rather than the Triforce of Power.
Forgot about that one. Never did pay much attention to the Four Sword Universe in Zelda.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #629 on: June 18, 2010, 10:34:21 PM
They should do an origin to his Trident, and bring back Ganon.

Wasn't that Four Swords Adventures?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #630 on: June 18, 2010, 10:38:41 PM
FSA presents the trident as part of the origin of their Ganon.  The trident itself is just there, as the Master Sword is in other games. 

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Aresian

Reply #631 on: June 18, 2010, 10:46:35 PM
Since Link and Zelda NEVER end up together or even slightly romantically involved at the end of every game, it's safe to say they never do the nasty. Ganon, I think he's been proven to always be the same guy going through time and dimensions and causing crap to happen.

Also, it was a reference to this:

It's a joke mostly. Given the entirety of Zelda is apeshit continuity wise, I devised my own theory that makes sense enough to me that I can call it a theory. That said...

For those that Gameplay is their major factor... I suppose that is fine and dandy. But someone like me plays games primarily for the story. When the story makes no sense, we must do something to make it make sense to us.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #632 on: June 18, 2010, 10:48:18 PM
It's a joke mostly. Given the entirety of Zelda is apeshit continuity wise, I devised my own theory that makes sense enough to me that I can call it a theory. That said...

For those that Gameplay is their major factor... I suppose that is fine and dandy. But someone like me plays games primarily for the story. When the story makes no sense, we must do something to make it make sense to us.
Playing games for the story? Games like Zelda? Zelda has never been about the story, to be honest. It had a few good things going on OOT, MM and WW, but aside from that... it never really was about it.

Aresian

Reply #633 on: June 18, 2010, 10:50:45 PM
Playing games for the story? Games like Zelda? Zelda has never been about the story, to be honest. It had a few good things going on OOT, MM and WW, but aside from that... it never really was about it.

That's just how I am, G. Here's a "spreadsheet" for ya.

Storyline and Characters > Presentation (Graphics and Musical Score) > Gameplay.

That's how I play my games.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #634 on: June 18, 2010, 10:54:31 PM
That's just how I am, G. Here's a "spreadsheet" for ya.

Storyline and Characters > Presentation (Graphics and Musical Score) > Gameplay.

That's how I play my games.
So you don't play fighting games or puzzle games?

Nothing wrong with it. Just... games are kind of a funny place to get good stories at. 8D

Aresian

Reply #635 on: June 18, 2010, 11:02:39 PM
So you don't play fighting games or puzzle games?

Nothing wrong with it. Just... games are kind of a funny place to get good stories at. 8D

I do occasionally play Fighting games, picky about those since I'm interested in their stories as well. Soul Caliber was always interesting to me. Well, till it became minor in the story department like most Fighting games.

Puzzle Games... uh, well. I play those on the rarer occasion.

This is generally why RPGs are my main priority with gaming.

Gaming holds a lot of potential for storytelling, that is why I am here.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #636 on: June 18, 2010, 11:07:02 PM
I do occasionally play Fighting games, picky about those since I'm interested in their stories as well. Soul Caliber was always interesting to me. Well, till it became minor in the story department like most Fighting games.

Puzzle Games... uh, well. I play those on the rarer occasion.

This is generally why RPGs are my main priority with gaming.

Gaming does hold alot of potencial for storytelling, but... well, it's really, really, REALLY hard to find a game with a story that's worth a damn, and that you wouldn't be able to find on any run-of-the-mill fiction book.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #637 on: June 18, 2010, 11:09:27 PM
See, this is why I want a ZOE3.  LoL, even though it's not the best of stories, it's probably the only one I've really ever cared about in gaming!  XD

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #638 on: June 18, 2010, 11:11:26 PM
See, this is why I want a ZOE3.  LoL, even though it's not the best of stories, it's probably the only one I've really ever cared about in gaming!  XD
But ZOE2 wrapped it up. o_o

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #639 on: June 18, 2010, 11:13:24 PM
But ZOE2 wrapped it up. o_o

I know, I just want more!   8)

Does Leo get Jehuty back?  Does Dingo get it on with Tits Marinaris?  What happens with the remaining forces of BAHRAM?

Aresian

Reply #640 on: June 18, 2010, 11:18:26 PM
Gaming does hold alot of potencial for storytelling, but... well, it's really, really, REALLY hard to find a game with a story that's worth a damn, and that you wouldn't be able to find on any run-of-the-mill fiction book.

Well, I guess it's a matter of questioning why one reads stories. A lot of people are looking for something that is "new and original" without realizing that "everything has been done before" in general. Hence why I don't really bother with such things and am more concerned with how something is written. That said, I like my stories to be a bigger presentation than a book. I like visuals, things I can hear. There is more to a story than words, music can set the mood.

Why do you think people watch movies? I mean, aside from attention span-less Americans. >_> There's more production than a mere book. Don't get me wrong, I love books though.

People wonder why I love Openings in anime. The openings can capture a lot of production and story telling in the mere minute it takes to play them. The mood of the music, how the animation slide is played... Whether it is subjective or relevant to the plot or not.

... Oh right. Derailing from Zelda the topic. Carry on.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #641 on: June 18, 2010, 11:25:14 PM
Well, I guess it's a matter of questioning why one reads stories. A lot of people are looking for something that is "new and original" without realizing that "everything has been done before" in general. Hence why I don't really bother with such things and am more concerned with how something is written. That said, I like my stories to be a bigger presentation than a book. I like visuals, things I can hear. There is more to a story than words, music can set the mood.

Why do you think people watch movies? I mean, aside from attention span-less Americans. >_> There's more production than a mere book. Don't get me wrong, I love books though.

People wonder why I love Openings in anime. The openings can capture a lot of production and story telling in the mere minute it takes to play them. The mood of the music, how the animation slide is played... Whether it is subjective or relevant to the plot or not.

... Oh right. Derailing from Zelda the topic. Carry on.
It's not really the fact that "everything has been done". You can redo it in different ways as many times as you'd like. And no, everything has not been done. You'd be surprised at the number of stories still left to tell due to the existance of dogmas, taboos and other stuff. People just tell and re-tell what they like.

Which is the problem with 99,9999999999999% of the stories in games. Derivative bullshit. Heck, even movies and TV have less quality stuff nowadays. Because there's a general lack of trying from the writers' parts.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #642 on: June 18, 2010, 11:27:27 PM
Which is the problem with 99,9999999999999% of the stories in games. Derivative bullshit. Heck, even movies and TV have less quality stuff nowadays. Because there's a general lack of trying from the writers' parts.

This is why the digital age is golden for movies, and why Indie flicks are growing more and more in popularity.  Also, you'd be surprised how many great scripts out there get ruined by Hollywood.

Aresian

Reply #643 on: June 18, 2010, 11:32:09 PM
It's not really the fact that "everything has been done". You can redo it in different ways as many times as you'd like. And no, everything has not been done. You'd be surprised at the number of stories still left to tell due to the existance of dogmas, taboos and other stuff. People just tell and re-tell what they like.

Hence quotes. I realize that there is boundless potential for stories and it is truly only limited by the human imagination. But as the general world views it, everything has been done. And thusly I only care about the production of the story its self. I'm not criticizing other writers solely because of whether it's something horribly original or not. If I take something from the story, if it emotionally affects me... it is a good story. To me.

That is what I am looking for, the emotional connection and stimulation. Which of course, can be a myriad of emotions.

Gonna apologize ahead of time to the Zelda fans... >_> Me and Flash managed to derail things (again?) But I oh-so enjoy bantering with him, so forgive.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #644 on: June 18, 2010, 11:34:54 PM
SO,

Story aside, what is everyone's thoughts on the visual style? From what I've seen, most people here like it, but elsewhere I've seen nothing but bitching and moaning that it isn't their "dark and detailed" style like TP.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #645 on: June 18, 2010, 11:39:00 PM
I honestly love it.  Don't get me wrong, I loved how TP looked, but that's because it worked for the theme of the game, which was Twilight.  However, this game takes place in the air, so it makes sense that it's sunnier.  Also, I love the combination with the cel-shading.  I hope it gives Skyward Link the same awesome face expressions that Wind Waker Link had.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #646 on: June 18, 2010, 11:41:38 PM
Link looks really weird. Like if his TP model was spliced into WW.
Other than that I'm okay with it. I'll miss the TP Darknuts, and Ganondorfs awesome beard+crown thing, but I'm sure they made the change for a good reason.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #647 on: June 18, 2010, 11:43:09 PM
Story aside, what is everyone's thoughts on the visual style? From what I've seen, most people here like it, but elsewhere I've seen nothing but bitching and moaning that it isn't their "dark and detailed" style like TP.

I love it.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #648 on: June 18, 2010, 11:53:51 PM
Hence quotes. I realize that there is boundless potential for stories and it is truly only limited by the human imagination. But as the general world views it, everything has been done. And thusly I only care about the production of the story its self. I'm not criticizing other writers solely because of whether it's something horribly original or not. If I take something from the story, if it emotionally affects me... it is a good story. To me.

That is what I am looking for, the emotional connection and stimulation. Which of course, can be a myriad of emotions.

Gonna apologize ahead of time to the Zelda fans... >_> Me and Flash managed to derail things (again?) But I oh-so enjoy bantering with him, so forgive.
There isn't much emotional connection and stimulation to be found in games, but there are a few exceptions. Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4's endings have both made me cry, as well as the entire last level of Flower. But most games tend to swerve towards the usual clichés, be them western games or asian games, most of them fit inside one stereotype and never get out of it. Mostly why JRPGs have disgusted me for so long (but many WRPGs can hold my interest with the narrative, although not always keep it for long).

SO,

It's [tornado fang]ing awesome. Twilight Princess looked good, but it had blurry ugly textures due to trying out realism in its atmosphere while still trying to maintain cartoony-looking characters. Thus, it came out kinda ugly in scenery and details. This game fixes that and pulls off the Wii's strengths. So I love it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #649 on: June 19, 2010, 06:41:41 AM
I already posted my thoughts elsewhere but I'll do the same here:  I'm on the fence with Skyward Sword's visuals (FYI I still don't care for the Wind Waker style to this day).  I really liked Twilight Princess.  I think the serious tone is fitting for adult Link stories.  That said, he IS living in clouds in this game, so I can see how this is supposed to work.  But I'm really not sure.  Is the world below going to look as pastel-colored?  Should it?  How seriously should we be taking a game where you bowl with bombs?  I need to get the game in my hands and get a feel for its overall atmosphere before I pass final judgment.

Another thing I loved about Twilight Princess, which I hope returns, is the outstanding body language during cutscenes.  Character movements were amazingly lifelike in that game.  And after the Master Sword, when Midna starts hovering around Link...  Oh God, I'm going to miss Midna. ;^;

You had DAMN WELL BETTER be equipped with MegaMan Legends 2, is all I can say.