Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread

Align · 344050

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1175 on: September 30, 2011, 10:18:38 AM
I've listened to the romance trailer song a good 10 times now, and I can't get over how much I love the quality of it. It's downright movie quality orchestration, and I cannot wait to hear more from this game.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1176 on: September 30, 2011, 10:56:20 AM
So is Link FINALLY hittin' dat?

After all these years?

Offline Wanda Bear

• The Wanderess of RPM
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Currently Nowhere.
    • View Profile
Reply #1177 on: September 30, 2011, 10:58:22 AM
So is Link FINALLY hittin' dat?

After all these years?
I think you meant to ask if Zelda s finally LETTING Link hit that. xD

Home sweet home

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1178 on: September 30, 2011, 10:59:21 AM
I think you meant to ask if Zelda s finally LETTING Link hit that. xD
When did he ever seem interested?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1179 on: September 30, 2011, 10:59:49 AM
Well we haven't heard the Barry White-ish LoZ song yet, so we shall see!  [eyebrow]

TOON LINK loved staring at Tetra's ass!  8D

Offline Wanda Bear

• The Wanderess of RPM
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Currently Nowhere.
    • View Profile
Reply #1180 on: September 30, 2011, 11:08:29 AM
Well, he's saved her more than 10 times. There's GOTTA be somethin there. XD

Home sweet home

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1181 on: September 30, 2011, 11:25:00 AM
TOON LINK loved staring at Tetra's ass!  8D
Yeah, staring and not doing. Toon Link's much too alpha for that.

Well, he's saved her more than 10 times. There's GOTTA be somethin there. XD
Considering this is a prequel to everything else and probably the third or fourth youngest Zelda we've seen (certainly the most ditzy-looking one) I'm guessing this is where the heritage comes from. But DAMN, they gotta bang like bunnies to make so many Links.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1182 on: September 30, 2011, 11:33:28 AM
Watch as it turns out to be "will they won't they" for the entirety of the game until the very end when they go to kiss... except they get interrupted, and everyone just laughs, closing credits. Oh man, that would be hilarious, I'd want to record the reactions of every shipper as their blood boils~

I've listened to the romance trailer song a good 10 times now, and I can't get over how much I love the quality of it. It's downright movie quality orchestration, and I cannot wait to hear more from this game.
But movies have terrible generic crap music... or were you thinking of the once a decade exceptions like Pirates of the Caribbean?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #1183 on: September 30, 2011, 12:17:45 PM
But movies have terrible generic crap music... or were you thinking of the once a decade exceptions like Pirates of the Caribbean?
I want to slap your [parasitic bomb] so hard right now... it's not even funny.

In any case... I'm not maybe super excited for this game, but hey, it's a Zelda game, it will certainly spawn good music.
Also, yeah... dat romance.
Here's hoping we'll get at least a full kiss or something. I mean, Link friggin' deserves it.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1184 on: September 30, 2011, 12:28:46 PM
What? Movies, when they do have music made for them and aren't just the licensing-of-the-week thing, have amazing stuff. Hans Zimmer isn't the only movie composer out there, you know. Lemme pick a movie at random, which I haven't even seen yet.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bulAgbCxZo&feature=related[/youtube]

There, good music. I had honestly never laid eyes on this OST before. But it was easy to find.

Comparingly, the only Nintendo games with a memorable soundtrack this gen were the Galaxy games.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1185 on: September 30, 2011, 12:51:23 PM
I suppose I just associate the phrase "movie music" with the totally unmemorable violin&piano pieces that seem to be a requirement for scenes that would've been fine on their own, rather than stuff out of movies that are actually good. Which is kind of like comparing high profile games with random [parasitic bomb] grabbed off a shelf, so maybe not totally fair...

But I do have a problem with the phrase "it's like movie quality orchestration", because that sounds awfully like saying that orchestrated music is inherently superior in immersiveness or memorableness.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1186 on: September 30, 2011, 01:15:07 PM
Then it's moreso your hate of specific things, than just your lack of listening.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1187 on: September 30, 2011, 01:28:35 PM
I suppose I just associate the phrase "movie music" with the totally unmemorable violin&piano pieces that seem to be a requirement for scenes that would've been fine on their own, rather than stuff out of movies that are actually good. Which is kind of like comparing high profile games with random [parasitic bomb] grabbed off a shelf, so maybe not totally fair...

But I do have a problem with the phrase "it's like movie quality orchestration", because that sounds awfully like saying that orchestrated music is inherently superior in immersiveness or memorableness.
Don't we get tons upon tons of shitty midi in games too? Bleeps and bloops everywhere, that people cry out in defense of, simply because it's a catchy part of their childhood listening? Movies can have amazing people working on them, even random [parasitic bomb] off a common shelf can have a well-made OST. A game's OST is usually thought of to be less important than gameplay, graphics and the like when it comes to the team developing the game, leaving the soundtrack dude to fend off for himself in a ton of stuff, while in movies, the soundtrack is usually supervised heavily so it fits well in each and every single game scene.

Look at Kingdom Hearts 2, for example. It's got a beautiful soundtrack, but most of the cutscenes are so damn dry and silent, and the music just pops in at awkward moments. It's a game with a great soundtrack that doesn't know how to use it well. Same with a ton of other games, in which you only pay more attention to its soundtrack, because you're doing repetitive tasks and not watching a narrative unfold, so you pay more attention to the sound that way. It's why there are so many game nerds who worship gaming soundtracks, while most movie buffs simply recognize it as a part of a necessary equation, to be used in accordance to the way the movie flows.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1188 on: September 30, 2011, 01:41:30 PM
Well, I'm fine with having my misconceptions cleared up...

Posted on: 2011-09-30, 12:30:55
Don't we get tons upon tons of shitty midi in games too?
Sure. I didn't mean to imply that videogames were blameless, just that acting like movies are clearly better at it is stupid.
A game's OST is usually thought of to be less important than gameplay, graphics and the like when it comes to the team developing the game, leaving the soundtrack dude to fend off for himself in a ton of stuff, while in movies, the soundtrack is usually supervised heavily so it fits well in each and every single game scene.
Don't know enough about game development vs cinematography to say for myself, so are you sure games don't receive similar supervision? It's really rare to get music that doesn't fit in my experience.

Same with a ton of other games, in which you only pay more attention to its soundtrack, because you're doing repetitive tasks and not watching a narrative unfold, so you pay more attention to the sound that way. It's why there are so many game nerds who worship gaming soundtracks, while most movie buffs simply recognize it as a part of a necessary equation, to be used in accordance to the way the movie flows.
Gotta admit, hearing the same tracks several times in the background is definitely what makes many of them grow on you. But that doesn't make them worse, which is what I had beef with.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1189 on: September 30, 2011, 02:00:14 PM
Well, I'm fine with having my misconceptions cleared up...

Posted on: 2011-09-30, 12:30:55
Sure. I didn't mean to imply that videogames were blameless, just that acting like movies are clearly better at it is stupid.
Well... they ARE. That's the whole point.

Don't know enough about game development vs cinematography to say for myself, so are you sure games don't receive similar supervision? It's really rare to get music that doesn't fit in my experience.
That's because what you're getting, is background music. You notice the music because it's there to entertain you rather that fit in well with the entire experience. You don't notice it within a movie because the music takes no relevance over anything, it's there to enhance the scene that's happening at the moment.

Gotta admit, hearing the same tracks several times in the background is definitely what makes many of them grow on you. But that doesn't make them worse, which is what I had beef with.
It doesn't make the tracks themselves worse, but it does make the implementation of soundtracks in games worse than it does in movies.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1190 on: September 30, 2011, 02:19:53 PM
That's because what you're getting, is background music. You notice the music because it's there to entertain you rather that fit in well with the entire experience. You don't notice it within a movie because the music takes no relevance over anything, it's there to enhance the scene that's happening at the moment.
What are you talking about? I don't notice the music especially much while I'm playing, it's exactly the same as with movies. There's more of a chance to get used to individual tracks, but it's still only afterwards while listening to the music on youtube or whatever that I really hear them as themselves. Unless they're downright jarring and unfitting for the scene, but I already said that doesn't happen much in my experience.
What kind of games are you thinking of that have this effect?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1191 on: September 30, 2011, 03:29:27 PM
What are you talking about? I don't notice the music especially much while I'm playing, it's exactly the same as with movies. There's more of a chance to get used to individual tracks, but it's still only afterwards while listening to the music on youtube or whatever that I really hear them as themselves. Unless they're downright jarring and unfitting for the scene, but I already said that doesn't happen much in my experience.
What kind of games are you thinking of that have this effect?
You always end up paying more attention to the music in a game rather than in a movie. Because in a movie, your ears are open for dialogue and narrative. In a game, you're not watching something unravel, you're being fed information in directly instead of paying attention to something. You're most likely to pay attention to the scenery or the details in a game than in a movie. In a movie, your attention is turned towards events you can't control. In a game, everything's directly passed onto you, and you do with it as you wish. I always notice game soundtracks when I play a game, simply because they're given to me, and play based on area and happenings rather than be out of my control.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1192 on: September 30, 2011, 04:31:00 PM
I guess we're just different then.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1193 on: September 30, 2011, 04:35:05 PM
It's simple cinematographic theory. None of it happens in gaming, because it's a completely different medium.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1194 on: September 30, 2011, 07:16:51 PM
Actually, I tend to notice the movie's soundtrack more than anything else, mainly cause it's what I'm directly listening for. Soundtracks are my hobby, my passion, and the largest collection of music I own. Game soundtracks are awesome, and one of my favorites genres, but a lot of them are not fully orchestrated. That's what I meant. Lots of movie soundtracks are not orchestrated either, but they are still good.

Movies are the current, best example for orchestrated music in the mainstream that exist. There was a study once that proclaimed that someone like Beethoven in today's era would compose soundtracks for video games, and I agree. That's all I really meant when I said that the romance trailer song had "movie quality orchestration," not that I thought that orchestration was superior. Some of my favorite soundtracks are synth or 8-bit.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1195 on: September 30, 2011, 07:31:35 PM
You notice soundtracks because you're a soundtrack nerd. =P

Still, there's a reason that gamers geek out over game tunes and chiptune music. Because games don't handle soundtracks as well as music, at least most of the time. There are a few that do it masterfully, mostly the most Hollywoodish games. But movie soundtracks are mostly overlooked in most cases, as great as they might be. And pretty much any orchestrated movie track made today beats the crap out of songs in most games today. Not to say games don't have some absolutely amazing and beautiful soundtracks. Just saying that movies have a better track record, and a bigger, better and more prepared industry to acomplish it.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1196 on: September 30, 2011, 07:53:03 PM
Actually, I tend to notice the movie's soundtrack more than anything else, mainly cause it's what I'm directly listening for. Soundtracks are my hobby, my passion, and the largest collection of music I own. Game soundtracks are awesome, and one of my favorites genres, but a lot of them are not fully orchestrated. That's what I meant. Lots of movie soundtracks are not orchestrated either, but they are still good.

Movies are the current, best example for orchestrated music in the mainstream that exist. There was a study once that proclaimed that someone like Beethoven in today's era would compose soundtracks for video games, and I agree. That's all I really meant when I said that the romance trailer song had "movie quality orchestration," not that I thought that orchestration was superior. Some of my favorite soundtracks are synth or 8-bit.
Imma have to agree with PB on this one, simply because I feel the exact way.

Also because game soundtracks get nothing but pure <3 from me. :3

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1197 on: September 30, 2011, 08:21:20 PM
You notice soundtracks because you're a soundtrack nerd. =P

Still, there's a reason that gamers geek out over game tunes and chiptune music. Because games don't handle soundtracks as well as music, at least most of the time. There are a few that do it masterfully, mostly the most Hollywoodish games. But movie soundtracks are mostly overlooked in most cases, as great as they might be. And pretty much any orchestrated movie track made today beats the crap out of songs in most games today. Not to say games don't have some absolutely amazing and beautiful soundtracks. Just saying that movies have a better track record, and a bigger, better and more prepared industry to acomplish it.

Oh I'm a total soundtrack nerd. You'll see, once I get my soundtrack net review show started!  8D

And movies even have categories for best soundtracks and such. Games really don't. A lot of the time they can go unnoticed in games, plus some people mute them and put on their own music to begin with.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1198 on: September 30, 2011, 08:45:19 PM
Sad but true.

Game-making doesn't really have much in the ways of awards, does it? Maybe if it was considered an art?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1199 on: September 30, 2011, 09:04:02 PM
plus some people mute them and put on their own music to begin with.
Oh man, I remember that game. Lemme search for some youtube gameplay movies!

LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR
LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR
LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

God dammit.