Align · 343624

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #300 on: November 11, 2009, 01:09:52 AM
Odds are that they won't make a Wii HD.  Instead, what they might do is make a new HD system, further down the line when more and more people have HD capable systems.  Despite sales, I don't think that HDTV's are yet as mainstream as everyone thinks they are.  I could be wrong though.  Either way, without an HDTV, one cannot enjoy the HD systems.  Maybe it'll be the HDii.  Who knows.
It's certainly climbing, but I don't expect it to replace SD in the near future the way all the media outlets claim.  And as a litmus test you can just look at the fact that regular DVD is still the dominant movie format.  A lot of consumers are simply "satisfied" with that level of quality and aren't willing to pay the extra premium.  For that matter, those of us older than 15 may not appreciate the fact that old sources look like complete garbage on an HD set.  Sad to say but even in this day and age there is still such a thing as VHS releases that never saw a move to DVD, not to mention not everybody wants to re-buy the same thing over and over.

I think a lot of the HD sales climb is how hard the flat-panels are being pushed.  A lot of entertainment centers these days don't even have the depth to hold a CRT.  My father-in-law got a HD set for one reason: because he did not believe he could find an SDTV anymore (apparently he doesn't like to shop beyond the displays or something).  They have no HD source.  The only reason they even have a progressive-scan source is because I bought them component cables for their DVD player.  That was a year ago, and nothing's changed.

Hell, the last month or so, the two of them have been fueling the rumor mill with their passive but frequent "HD is cool" comments. Seriously, wat is this? I don't even
There was never an issue with whether or not they liked HD, it was whether or not they believed it practical for their business model.  There's a difference.  An HD system is more expensive for everyone, both consumers and developers, and Nintendo didn't believe that the cost increase was worth it.  Like online gaming before it (and 3G use as another current issue), Nintendo will utilize it when they believe it is cheap and convenient enough.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #301 on: November 11, 2009, 02:03:23 AM
At least the Wii doesn't look like total ass on an HD set.  Of course, I'm using S-video for it, so I don't know how it looks connected with composite video.

I'd hook it up through component and switch it to progressive scan, but wouldn't you know it, the component jacks on my TV are screwed up.  So it's either composite, S-video, or HDMI.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #302 on: November 11, 2009, 02:18:43 AM
Well, mine's on component, 480p on a 52" Samsung.

I'm violating the Rule of 3, and it's not that bad, considering.
But you do notice the jaggies. And SMG's brightest parts really show it. MKWii's light-blurring and edges really have issues. Heck, Rosalina's eye looks like it's going all over the place...

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #303 on: November 11, 2009, 03:35:21 AM
And as a litmus test you can just look at the fact that regular DVD is still the dominant movie format.  

What's funny is that DVD just took over the dominant movie format about 2 years ago.  Before that, it was still VHS.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #304 on: November 11, 2009, 03:55:11 AM
I'm already ready already for Blu-Ray.

But half my collection isn't even available, though.
And my dear Blazing Saddles has its noisy upscaling software moments...

But Willy Wonka doesn't look half bad! You can even see the outlines of the solid black stage TV Kid stands on! XD

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #305 on: November 11, 2009, 03:11:04 PM
Interestingly enough, my DVD player looks really good on my HDTV.  Again, it's going through S-video.  I think the only thing I've got hooked up through composite is my PS2. >_>  And hoo boy, does -that- look like butt.

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #306 on: November 11, 2009, 05:39:26 PM
Yeah, that's why I got rid of my PS2, on top of KH1 and GH's finally burning out.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #307 on: November 11, 2009, 08:25:59 PM
I'd get rid of my PS2, but MY PS3 DOESN'T PLAY PS2 GAMES.   -_-

The Other Side

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #308 on: November 11, 2009, 08:26:33 PM
Mine does! It makes me happy!

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #309 on: November 11, 2009, 08:27:28 PM
Mine does too, and it definitely makes me happy!

Although I still need my PS2 for imported Jap games.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #310 on: November 12, 2009, 12:16:48 AM
Mine...doesn't. But, my only regret is losing Sonic Mega Collection+ for the save feature, and I just got Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for $10, so that takes care of Sonic 1, 2, and Knuckles, standalone.

If I could go back in time and tell my 2 years younger self that Rock Band, GH3, Time Crisis 4, Devil May Cry 4, TMNT: ReShelled, and Brutal Legend were all going to be relative flops, and the PS2 would look crummy on my HD set, I'd have saved myself a loooootta headache.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #311 on: November 12, 2009, 12:48:06 AM
eh, i'd rather keep my ps2, it looks fine enough on the HDTV I have...

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #312 on: November 12, 2009, 02:21:09 AM
eh, i'd rather keep my ps2, it looks fine enough on the HDTV I have...

If I had bought a smaller HDTV, I might have kept the PS2.

But I need 52" goodness for split-screen. :3

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #313 on: November 12, 2009, 03:09:06 AM
oh, you got a 52" one? okay, then I understand your reasoning there haha.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #314 on: November 12, 2009, 02:59:48 PM
Yeah, my TV's only 23 inches... I was working with a limited budget. >_>

The Other Side

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #315 on: November 12, 2009, 07:00:51 PM
What's funny is that DVD just took over the dominant movie format about 2 years ago.  Before that, it was still VHS.
& I thought we were late when we got ours in '01.

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #316 on: November 12, 2009, 08:08:12 PM
Yeah, my TV's only 23 inches... I was working with a limited budget. >_>

I think it's more w/ what one is ok with.  Mine is a 26" and frankly, that's good enough for me, even if DKC doesn't look super detailed and needs a smaller tv so the pixels aren't noticable, it doesn't bug me.  Others however...yeah.

Offline Irgendein

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #317 on: November 13, 2009, 01:11:07 AM
More Spirit Tracks footage
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMU86uWdVno[/youtube]
I'm really looking forward to this game now. Also, I'm digging the music..except maybe the recycled Cave Theme.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #318 on: November 13, 2009, 02:04:26 AM
I don't know... I think I've had enough of this stylus bullshit.  The last game drove me friggin' nuts, and I really wanted to like it.  I wound up getting rid of it halfway through and never looked back.

The Other Side

Offline OmegaZ

• Knows a hot
  • A-Class Hunter
  • Mmmmmm, Coffah.
    • View Profile
Reply #319 on: November 14, 2009, 12:19:45 AM
Ahh, the sound effects bring back fond memories of PH... *o*

anyways, I am freakin' getting this game, Finished WW, PH, and about to finish ST

Something weird happened to my banner, please wait while I find a new one.

*Elevator music starts playing*

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #320 on: November 14, 2009, 03:54:16 AM
The game lost my interest at phantom train Ganon. There's things I'm willing to accept, but that kinda killed my interest. Then again, if it turns out to be good, I'll be more willing to give it a chance, but at this point in time... nah.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #321 on: November 14, 2009, 03:56:36 AM
I dunno, I guess I'm really open when it comes to creative changes and how they influence my purchases.

That and hearing a friend of mine yell out "GANON TRAIN, COMING TO A STATION NEAR YOU" in the Mr. Moviefone voice really put a smile on my face. XD

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #322 on: November 14, 2009, 05:59:04 AM
The game lost my interest at phantom train Ganon. There's things I'm willing to accept, but that kinda killed my interest. Then again, if it turns out to be good, I'll be more willing to give it a chance, but at this point in time... nah.

How odd, my situation was the exact opposite of that XD

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #323 on: November 14, 2009, 06:10:46 AM
Bringing back Ganon is just fine. I mean, traveling back to Hyrule to take the Master Sword would be great. But this... this just kinda made me facepalm. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for many many things, but this somehow doesn't fit under that category :P

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #324 on: November 14, 2009, 06:21:06 AM
Well, it's not like the train is actually Ganon (as far as we know at least), I do however think that the great evil that they're trying to revive is Ganon...AGAIN *sigh* -___-

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.