Recording Program

Pringer X · 4648

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
on: January 22, 2009, 04:54:33 AM
Ok, I'm not sure how I would "google" this (due to the number of possible things that I may end up coming up with), so what programs are out there that are safe to use and record what I'm doing on my computer? I know Camtasia is one of them, but what are some others? Camtasia just has it's trail and after that it costs like $300 bucks for it. All I want is something that's easy to use, safe, free (or at the very least has a demo that's limited but still has the basics), and records whatever I'm doing. The reason is for recording game plays and stuff, if that tidbit helps (doubtful, but hey, you never know).

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 05:06:04 AM
Use Fraps. Of course, if you're trying to record emulator games, some emulators have video and audio recorders built-in. The 3 I can remember ATM are Visual Boy Advance for GBA games, and I think SNES9X and ZSNES both have that function also. When using ZSNES, don't mistake the "movie" function for an A/V recorder. All it records is your controller inputs.

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 05:13:56 AM
Sweet, any more programs? One more should be good so I can choose which one I like more. If not, then it's still good.

Thanks Rockmon *+1 awesome*

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 05:31:13 AM
There's also Hypercam, but the trial version always has a small message on the top left corner.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 06:33:09 AM
I've never had any problems using Fraps. Though I don't really record that much, so maybe it has some hidden flaws that I'm missing.

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 07:23:47 PM
I don't really know of any other programs. The only reason I know of Fraps is because I see videos recorded with it on Youtube alot.

Save the tatas..................................................................................................please?

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 07:39:08 PM
Windows Media Encoder
Flash Media Encoder
Camtasia Recorder (comes with Camtasia Studio)
WebCam Max

Only the first 2 are free. The others are shareware. ^^;

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 09:20:41 PM
Wait, WME has a screen capture function?!

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:27:52 PM
Wait, WME has a screen capture function?!

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 11:13:14 PM
I use CamStudio and works fine, but I think you're the guy that told me CamStudio didn't work in your computer for some reason.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 11:20:12 PM
He did? >U<

But Camtasia Recorder works like a charm.
The only issue for me is enough processing power to record without choppy frames. o.o

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 11:23:42 PM
Camtasia =/= CamStudio

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 02:48:43 AM
I use CamStudio and works fine, but I think you're the guy that told me CamStudio didn't work in your computer for some reason.

If you're talking to me, then it was me. If you weren't talking to me, then nevermind.

@ Vixy, I take it Screen Capture being used in this context is recording whatever I'm doing in a movie file-type-thing?

Just out of curiosity, how many of these programs allow me to record my own voice as I'm recording? (I already have a mic, just wondering which ones will let me record my voice along with my actions done on screen)

Offline Rockmon

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 03:45:49 AM
Vixy or someone else who isn't a mac user is going to have to check this, but I think windows media encoder lets your choose you microphone port as the audio source.

Offline Galappan

• Mode Change
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Defense Mode
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 03:56:33 AM
Snagit is my friend. But of course you need a highspeed PC. I have 448 MB memory though.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 04:46:13 AM
Isn't it rather more precise if you just record the video with no audio, then play it back and record/sync your voice as you're playing the video, and then splice both together in VirtualDub?

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 05:42:18 AM
Isn't it rather more precise if you just record the video with no audio, then play it back and record/sync your voice as you're playing the video, and then splice both together in VirtualDub?

That feels kind of fake though. I watched Proton Jon's Ninja Gaiden videos and they weren't as good as any video that he was actually playing. The best parts of the Ninja Gaiden videos were whenever he'd actually do the recording and playing at the same time.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 05:44:08 AM
What are you recording, anyway?

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 08:14:51 AM
What are you recording, anyway?

I was planning on doing ROM Hack videos and game play videos and stuff for YouTube. Kind of sick of not having anything on the damn thing and I've had it for months now.