Phoenix Wright, now objecting and pointing on the Wii?

Solar · 10971

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 08:01:05 PM
then why should I even buy this when the DS port is cheaper and easier to take with me?
You shouldn't then. This is more Capcom testing out the waters for the series as a downloadable title, alongside a possible iPhone port. If you already have the games, then you can move along. They're testing a possible new format/audience here.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: December 10, 2009, 08:05:25 PM
but I don't have the game

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: December 10, 2009, 08:07:09 PM
I wasn't saying you as in actually you. All the DLC at any rate is set to cost a total of about $30. I imagine you can probably find the first three games on DS for about less than that with diligent looking.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #53 on: December 11, 2009, 01:30:53 AM
That is extremely unlikely.  Three carts averaging less than ten bucks a piece?  Maybe if you're ridiculously lucky in yard sales and Goodwill.

That said, you do get the bonus of them being portable, so it could easily be worth the extra effort/cash.  But in all honesty Phoenix Wright is one of those games I'd like to have people watch me play.  So, even owning the DS versions already, I'll be nabbing these.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: December 12, 2009, 05:47:55 PM
Hehe, cool trailer.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #55 on: December 15, 2009, 03:58:28 PM
I downloaded the first "Gyakuten Saiban" WiiWare~ ^.^

- When you press A after the title screen, it will show two screens (similar to the DS version).
- You have access to 3 Court Records (save slots), so that you can share them with friends, family or whatever.
- The fourth choice is DLC. You click on it to download the extra DS episode, whenever it's available in March.
- The game has language choice!! owo Right under the Court Records and DLC, you can switch between English and Japanese.
- You can turn off Motion Controls and Flashing Reduction. This is on-screen flashing that might happen in the game.
- A and B are basic Confirm/Cancel buttons, + button opens the Evidence/Profiles screen, 2 button opens the Save/Options screen.
- The game is 302 blocks. Save file is 3 blocks.

I hope Gyakuten Saiban 2 and 3 are English too. >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: December 15, 2009, 04:09:12 PM
Sweet, language switching. :3
And flashing, ah yes, the flashing... XD

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #57 on: March 19, 2010, 04:43:17 PM
Gyakuten Saiban 2 and 3 were in English too, and I beat them already.

I also bought and played through the 5th Case DLC for the first Gyakuten Saiban.

I can now explain the controls in detail.

If you don't want to know yet (if it's your first time playing), please don't look.

[spoiler=Wii Controls (Case 1-5 DLC)]
1. How to examine evidence in 3D mode

First you have to Check the evidence in the Court Record.

There are two different controls here.

The first one is to move the cursor with the D-pad, so that you can hopefully find a clue.

You press A to look for a clue or examine the evidence closely. You can zoom in and out with the + and - buttons.

The second one is about being able to rotate the evidence and look behind or under it and things like that.

To do that, you have to hold the Wii Remote upright (with the B button facing the TV screen), and THEN you can use the D-pad to rotate the evidence anyway you want. This is a little different than the DS version, but you get the hang of it soon.

2. How to use Luminol (to look for blood stains and prints)

The first time you get a tutorial. The second time, you have to bring up the Court Record menu with the + button, go to the Luminol Spray icon and press - button to start the spraying.

Now, you put on the glasses that Ema gave you. You can move the spray freely around with your Wii Remote. Spray with the A button. When you have found a spot that might have a blood stain, keep pressing A on that spot and the spraying will be finished.

3. How to piece together the Unstable Jar

In the evidence room along with Ema and Gumshoe, you find 8 pieces of a jar spread on the ground.

You are going to use glue to put the pieces together and fix this jar.

You will get many pieces to look through. Press Up or Down on the D-pad to rotate the piece you're examining right now, or press Left or Right on the D-pad to look at another piece. When you have rotated the piece at the right angle, press A button to put that piece on the jar and hopefully it will fit. If it doesn't fit, that piece will come back to you. If it fits, it will attach itself to the jar and go to the next part of the jar where you can piece together the next piece. Keep doing this until all 8 pieces are glued onto it.

Yay, here's the fun part...

4. How to scan for fingerprints with Aluminum Powder

After examining some blood stains and get an ID Card list that shows who has been going into the Police Evidence Room at the night of the crime, you decide to talk with Edgeworth. He will give Ema the Aluminum Powder so you can examine fingerprints.

When you have found a spot with fingerprints on them, you have to first check that spot with the D-pad and then press A.

Now you can start using the powder to look for prints. Move the Wii Remote freely all across the green screen and press A to put powder on the spot you aimed at. Keep filling the green screen with the powder until it's as white as you want it.

Um, now what? Are you supposed to "blow on it"?
There aren't any microphones on the Wii Remote and the game doesn't have Wii Speak support...!

^w^ You have to think Wii controls here. What can you do to get rid of white powder?

"Shake the Wii Remote!"

You will now see a fingerprint with different patterns on it. You were handed a list of different fingerprints from Edgeworth, with people that are involved in the case. You will go into "DS mode", where the top screen will have the scanned fingerprint on it's left side, and a empty field on it's right side. On the bottom screen, you will see all the people that are involved in the case. Press A button on one of them and you will see their fingerprints. Pick the one that matches with the scanned fingerprint and press - button to examine it. The fingerprints will now be scanned to see if they are matched. A little meter will be filled in the center of the screen. If it reaches the red field at the top of the meter, it's a match. If not, you have to scan another person's fingerprint.

If Capcom decides to put some more Gyakuten Saiban/Ace Attorney games on the Wii, these controls are good enough for them, and maybe some new ideas too. ^^b
[/spoiler]

The post stops here, with something that's been used in EVERY game in the series so far.

"Ah! A ladder!"
"It's a step-ladder!"
"So? What's the difference?"

Never gets old. >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: March 19, 2010, 10:09:37 PM
Ah. I was wondering how they would do the fingerprints and other Case5 specifics. Looks like enough to port Apollo. Too bad they don't let you do a real fullscreen mode. The surrounding border is kinda lame. Honestly they should have just redid the graphics to fit the Wii resolution. I mean it's not like they don't have the art for every frame of animation completely drawn out and colored anyway.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #59 on: March 21, 2010, 04:10:25 AM
It's a matter of coding effort, keeping things quick and dirty.  The game is very obviously using DS emulation, given that it pans out to show the "stacked screen" view at certain times, so that pretty much sets the output resolution in stone.  Frankly I'm surprised they bothered to use the IR pointer for luminol/fingerprints, given that they force you to use the D-Pad for examining scenes.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: March 21, 2010, 09:32:17 PM
The game is very obviously using DS emulation, given that it pans out to show the "stacked screen" view at certain times

I wouldn't call that conclusive by any means. I admit its an odd thing to do, but cheap ports sometimes do odd things. Maybe they just wanted some DS nostalgia?

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)