• View Profile
Reply #175 on: January 20, 2009, 07:39:52 PM
The 8th is Shadowman, right?

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #176 on: January 21, 2009, 01:11:53 AM
Why would Light have any thing to do with them when both have proven to be able of making robots on their own in record time? At best Light approved of Wily's activities, but Wily is too prideful to let Light touch any of his work. What would happen is that Wily would limit his designs for peaceful purposes, create many robots, and of those select 7 to reclaim and convert for combat.
Well, now you're inserting your own fanon into the canon material.  That's how ancient fanon got made and why it stuck around for so long.  People fit their own ideas of who would do what and figure, since it was based on their expert opinions of the official sources, it was as good as official.  And since the people were experts in Rockman others generally followed what they said. 

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #177 on: January 21, 2009, 01:41:40 AM
RPM should have its own Fanon section. 8D

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #178 on: January 21, 2009, 01:42:01 AM
Well, that's how fanon works, essentially. True until proven false. Having some solid ground to stand on is just a nice bonus.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #179 on: January 21, 2009, 01:54:48 AM
Fanon in the Megaman Community is especially annoying, though.  Because there is no site that leaves their own opinions at the door or labels them as their own opinions.  Nobody sites any sources when they post information.  And nobody can call people on a logistic mistake because the actual knowledge that's known is limited to a select few. 

No other community I'm a part of works that way.  I wish I could correct it ... if I could write up a straight translation of what each sourcebook says, and section it off as such, I would.  I'm a very big fan of simply laying out the facts and presenting your own opinions as what YOU think and not as good as official opinions.  Sadly, I do not know any other language.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #180 on: January 21, 2009, 01:56:16 AM
Nobody sites any sources when they post information. 

That's because I don't need sources to tell me that Blues is the greatest Robot Master who ever lived.  It's just fact!   8D

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #181 on: January 21, 2009, 04:25:05 AM
I'm pretty sure it's a suit. Besides, if he was turned "robot," how could he be turned back in time for Mega Man 8?
Is that suit based on one of the mechs from the second Game Boy game, or is that just my imagination?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #182 on: January 21, 2009, 06:08:40 PM
Well, now you're inserting your own fanon into the canon material.  That's how ancient fanon got made and why it stuck around for so long.  People fit their own ideas of who would do what and figure, since it was based on their expert opinions of the official sources, it was as good as official.  And since the people were experts in Rockman others generally followed what they said.

I wasn't talking about facts though, I was addressing how little is actually said on the matter.

When it comes to the facts, Ariga outright proclaims DWN17~24 as "Wily's newly devoped robots" with W logos written all over them despite Wily's involvement being unknown at first. Super Adventure has those same DWN, plus DWN009~16 as special above all others, carrying only their brain chips around at all times. All in all, Wily is simply using the robots he himself created, Light does have something to do with it (Auto's Rockman Robot Centre lists it as a combined effort), but they're Wily's more than Right's, they're not affiliated with the Right household and Wily had to alter his own creations for combat after the fact.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #183 on: January 22, 2009, 12:42:15 AM
Ariga's mangas aren't quite canon.  Even so, really, they are "Wily's new robots" when MM3 comes around ... even if they are stolen.  I mean, what else are they gonna write?  "The robots Wily stole just now"?  "Wily's new forces"?  I don't think they expect us to pick on their word choice.

If the sourcebooks are unclear on who made them, then it's presumptious to chalk it up to Wily.  Nothing I've ever read suggests Wily actually made them. 

And why, out of ALL the RMs, would the sourcebooks be "unclear" on only MM3 when they are perfectly clear on who Wily did and did not make from other games? 

http://www.themmnetwork.com/wiki/index.php?title=Crystal_Man
Crystalman - made by Wily.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/wiki/index.php?title=Burst_Man
Burstman - not made by Wily.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/wiki/index.php?title=Astro_Man
Astroman - Not made by Wily

http://www.themmnetwork.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mega_Water_S
Mega Water - made by Wily.

http://www.themmnetwork.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hard_Man
Hardman ... Unless MMN is WAY off in their info (and, even if they don't cite sources or give out direct translations, I tend to trust what they do have), Hardman was stolen.  I just don't see where it's ambiguous. 

I mean, you're supposing what Wily did while he was pretending to be good.  But that's you.  I think the story is pretty simple.  MM3 just ain't that deep.  It's a great game, but it isn't deep or complicated.  Even if the creator is left blank, this isn't the X series.  It's not some big mystery where we fill in the blanks.  It's just not important. 

And:
http://www.themmnetwork.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gemini_Laser
Gemini lazer - made by Dr. Light.  Light did have some connection to the MM3 guys.  Or at least Geminiman.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #184 on: January 22, 2009, 12:56:36 AM
As I said before, Auto's Rockman Robot Centre, who compiled sourcebook info back in the day, lists the mm3 robot masters and Wily and Right's combined effort. All the same they're always considered Wily's after the fact, unlike any of the robots from mm1 and mm9.

These robots are built by them both in the W1>3 gap in the timeline, that's the only possibility if they're combined efforts. Naturally Wily stole back his own creations from doing labor for the humans. Wily being Wily, he might not be too fond of the additions by Right, but it's not like he isn't also capable of throwing out his pride to go with what works, like how DWN-009~016 are based on DWN-003~008(+ presumably 009~010) However, the fact that alone Wily allowed Right to make the Gemini Laser means he did a pretty damn good at playing his part, if he was in full antagonistic mode, no way in hell would he allow Right to disgrace him by working on 'his' robots.

Really, even if they're combined efforts, I just think it's important to consider that Right's work would really be little compared to Wily's, or better said, that's what Wily makes himself believe. That's the kind of guy Wily is.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #185 on: January 22, 2009, 01:50:45 AM
While we're talking about Wily, I'd like to bring up MM6's opening cutscene. When I first watched it and read that Mr. X had been manipulating Wily the entire time, I was all, "Holy [parasitic bomb]! Wily has a boss?! There was an ominous force behind Wily's actions the entire time? Is Wily not that bad of a guy (although still unsympathetic)? What does this mean for the next two games (because I didn't know of any side games other than Soccer at the time)?!"

Then I found out that Mr. X WAS Wily.

[acid burst].

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #186 on: January 22, 2009, 06:10:01 AM
Oh yeah, that's something I've been meaning to ask.  Or something I already asked, but forgot the answer.  Was Mr. X a real person that Dr. Wily stole the identity of, or was he just someone that Dr. Wily made up?  I think most people assume the second, but I feel the first is a bit more plausible, since you probably couldn't get enough good robot inventors to trust some random stranger who just appeared one day and said he was having a contest.  But who knows?

I suppose with that explanation, there should have been a part in the game where MegaRockMan rescues the real Mr. X, but oh well.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #187 on: January 22, 2009, 06:13:48 AM
While we're talking about Wily, I'd like to bring up MM6's opening cutscene. When I first watched it and read that Mr. X had been manipulating Wily the entire time, I was all, "Holy [parasitic bomb]! Wily has a boss?! There was an ominous force behind Wily's actions the entire time? Is Wily not that bad of a guy (although still unsympathetic)? What does this mean for the next two games (because I didn't know of any side games other than Soccer at the time)?!"

Then I found out that Mr. X WAS Wily.

[acid burst].

LoL, really?   8D

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #188 on: January 22, 2009, 06:16:11 AM
Okay, I went over Auto's site and found this:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041029164937/www.rockmanvortex.com/rrc/charg/dwn2-3/dwn19.html
This is where you're getting that Wily and Light both made the MM3 robot masters.  

This says Geminiman (at least) is a joint effort of Wily and Light.  Which means that Wily still stole him.  Because it's not 100% his.  Any way you slice it, Wily did not make 100% of Geminiman.  Aside from saying Gemini was made by both of them we have no idea what Wily did or did not do in reference to his creation.  It's perfectly fair to say that he stole the MM3 RMs and did not really make them himself.  At the very least, not all by himself.   And Auto mentions nothing on the other MM3 RMs.  

Wily also made several other robots and doesn't carry around their brains.  

I challenge you to find even one sourcebook that says Wily made the robots of MM3.  Make a scholorly reference and I shall concede this minor point which I said offhandedly.  I' m not very interested in generating a plausable scenario based on various elements Capcom has put in place ... I'm much more interested in what Capcom has said.  Nothing but the facts.  Can you reference them saying, outright, that Wily made the MM3 RMs in a scholorly manner?  With book, page number, quotes and everything?

If not, I shall err on the side of caution and go with "he stole them".  You see, I'm not much interested in debates or what we can intuit ... logic can be flawed and this is not our story.  I am much more interested in what Capcom has actually said.  I am very vested in the RM3 Rms, so if Capcom has said who made them specifically ... well, I'd like to hear it.  MMN could be dead wrong when they Wily stole them.  Let's just end the debate and cite a source.  "Word of God", right?  I'm down with that.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #189 on: January 22, 2009, 06:17:43 AM
LoL, really?   8D
Yeah, I thought that was a good twist too.  Too bad they just threw it out rather than following through on the idea.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #190 on: January 23, 2009, 12:12:25 AM
I challenge you to find even one sourcebook that says Wily made the robots of MM3.  Make a scholorly reference and I shall concede this minor point which I said offhandedly.  I' m not very interested in generating a plausable scenario based on various elements Capcom has put in place ... I'm much more interested in what Capcom has said.  Nothing but the facts.  Can you reference them saying, outright, that Wily made the MM3 RMs in a scholorly manner?  With book, page number, quotes and everything?

If you want to know what the sourcebooks say, you have to ask MarshmallowMan, FireMan, HeatMan or Delta about it. It's not like I own the books or can read japanese. But, just for the record, if you want to know the exact book, page number, quotes and everything, you can't trust MMN , not Auto, nor AF's ole encyclopedia. If you want all that, you really know nothing about them that isn't said in the games. Nor could you confirm it even when somebody supplies all that since you don't own the books either, nor can you japanese. So really, that's quite an over the top and pointless request. You have to settle for some uncertainty either way.

Really though, I don't see what's so difficult about accepting them as Wily and Light's, but mostly Wily's. Just sum up all that we do know:
-GeminiMan was made by Dr. Right and Wily.
-Dr. Right developed the Gemini Laser.
-R and W logos in MagnetMan's stage.
-Super Adventure mentions these robots as having jobs in regular society.
-These robots were stolen and converted for combat by Dr. Wily.
-Ariga calls them "Wily's newly developed robots."
-Ariga drowns them in W logos. Despite...
-Wily was working with Right on Gamma, acting as if he was setting right his previous mistakes. And...
-The force behind the robot uprising was unknown until Wily revealed himself.
-None of them, Gemini included, are a part of the Right family unlike the robots from 1 and 9.

And Shadowman's profile from rm3 ps1books:

ShadowMan: This Robot's data is almost all gone.  According to one theory/one rumor/people say, it seems he was created by an alien race and Dr. Wily modified him.  Either way he is a Robot surrounded by mystery.  His special weapon is the Shadow Blade.
Shadow Blade: A large size shuriken cutter blade.  The rance of the weapon is not far, but can be shot in 3 directions.  It seems that the materials for it are not Earthly materials.

Even though we don't yet have outright confirmation on them all, the combination of all of the above should be pretty clear.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #191 on: January 23, 2009, 12:52:49 AM
O^O I has source books too...

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #192 on: January 23, 2009, 12:53:55 AM
O^O I has source books too...

Well, go read them.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #193 on: January 23, 2009, 01:19:12 AM
Oh yeah, that's something I've been meaning to ask.  Or something I already asked, but forgot the answer.  Was Mr. X a real person that Dr. Wily stole the identity of, or was he just someone that Dr. Wily made up?  I think most people assume the second, but I feel the first is a bit more plausible, since you probably couldn't get enough good robot inventors to trust some random stranger who just appeared one day and said he was having a contest.  But who knows?

I suppose with that explanation, there should have been a part in the game where MegaRockMan rescues the real Mr. X, but oh well.
I always kinda thought the first one.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #194 on: January 24, 2009, 06:36:50 AM
These robots were stolen and converted for combat by Dr. Wily.

Well, I'm not arguing about that.  If we agree on that, I don't see why you're arguing with me.

Really though, I don't see what's so difficult about accepting them as Wily and Light's

None.  Again, not talking about that.  Of course, if we don't know what the sourcebook says on the matter, this is presuming and I'll toss some doubt at it.

but mostly Wily's

Because now you're making stuff up.  Fanon.... in a thread about fanon.   That's what I'm talking about.

So really, that's quite an over the top and pointless request. You have to settle for some uncertainty either way.

I don't like pointless debates and arguments.  I don't like stringing together unoficial sources (which Ariga is) with what fans think characters ought to be like (which you're doing) and call it official.  If you do that, you can toss in an "I think" in there. 

I like cutting to the chase.  The chase is making a scholorly reference.  Which you can't do.  But if you could do it, that'd cut the BS.  We wouldn't need theories, unofficial material, or any of this she-said he-said crap that's done whenever a debate is called on anything MM.  If you're not prepared to do that, or can't, then you should, at least, have the decency to admit that you might be wrong and allow the debate to end. 

Forgive me for figuring you did have the sourcebooks.  You go on like you do.  If you could and did, though, that'd end the argument right away.  Efficiantly.  Quickly.  And, in such a way that leaves no room for error.  That's the benefit with checking your sources.

For this little point....

In the end, MMN and Auto both agree that Capcom says they're stolen.  MMN says in full, Auto says in part.  Ariga is not Capcom and ranks the same as Captain N, just better quality.  The end.  Stolen.  As for whether they're mostly Wily's I don't agree; I think that's just what you tend to think because you like Ariga's designs as opposed to what's true.

And, for the record, I do trust Auto.  Unfortunately he doesn't have his books on hand.  He agrees witht he need for good souce siting.  Maybe when / if he remakes RRC.  I also trust MMN, even if Auto doesn't fully.  But MMN does not cite their sources and it's unkown how much of their stuff is assumptions.  Nor is the entry on Gemini entirely consistant with Auto's.  So, there you go.  The fact is the Megaman Community fails at entirely seperating fact from fanon which makes me doubt the purity of the data. 

But mostly, I was hoping you'd just see if you might have forgot something and to clear it up without further argument.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #195 on: January 24, 2009, 01:38:00 PM
I also trust MMN, even if Auto doesn't fully.  But MMN does not cite their sources and it's unkown how much of their stuff is assumptions.

MMN's data is contradictory because it's a combination of theirs and AF's encyclopedia without a clear seperation of the two. See MegaMan's biography still listing Wily as his creator.

Because now you're making stuff up.  Fanon.... in a thread about fanon.   That's what I'm talking about.

I already cited a source which relates to them being considered more Wily's than Light. Ariga is just icing on the cake. I don't see why you just can't accept that Capcom treats them differently than all other Light made robots that took over the world. I reiterate, I'm not talking about the exact degrees of their work on these robots, I'm talking about how they're considered by Wily and the others, both in real life and in the story.

-They're the only robots that Right made that stayed with Wily at all times after the fact, they have no happy moment at the Right household and have not been noted as having returned to their jobs, their combat upgrades were never removed either.
-Rockman1 and Rockman9's robots which received no upgrades, were put in victim roles and were allowed to be become members of the family as a form of redemption of their character.
-Super Adventure Rockman, all the Right robots are on Right's side, all the robots Wily was involved in are still clearly with him.

The above are all facts given in the game, you might disagree on the exact interpretation of it, but it should make it perfectly clear that the mm3 robots are given a more Wily centric treatment by Capcom.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #196 on: January 24, 2009, 08:00:41 PM
I just totally disagree with your logic and you're interpretation of the facts, man.  Your points seem like a string of non-sequiters with an erroneous conclusion.  Bringing up the manga especially ... if you do that then I can bring up the cartoon in saying Cutman is mostly Wily's.  It has nothing to do with the topic at hand.  And, there's lots of robots that stay with Wily after their use.  And what about all the minor robots that Wily stole (and didn't make) for his own use?  They were used in SAR as well.  Not to mention the idea that Wily liked 2-3 best is just to explain their inclusion on Wily's side in SAR. 

If the sourcebooks don't attribute their creation to anyone, then ... that's that.  The story suggests they were made by Wily and Light, and that the Gemini Lazer was developed by Liught, I'll give you that much.  Although, there's room for doubt ... I dislike fanon greatly and dislike stepping out of the official material and calling it official.  More than sayng "the MM3 guy were probably developed by both Wily and Light" is overstating things.  And since neither of us have the source, then I don't really see much point in arguing over what it says or implies. 

But if you agree that they're stolen then the discussion is moot.  Because it all started when I said Wily stole the MM3 guys and someone disagreed with that statement.  That's what I set out to say.  Since you agree that they're stolen, well then ... that's that.  My statement that the old fanon that Wily made all the robots (save for 1 and 4) is wrong stands.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #197 on: January 25, 2009, 12:41:47 AM
Hey does everyone remember when Mega Man was going to be in Brawl?

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #198 on: January 25, 2009, 12:49:02 AM
Yeah. I do.

Fans: Sakurai, Sakurai! Is Megaman going to be in Brawl?
Sakurai: Capcom hasn't contacted us about that.
Fans: Inafune, Inafune! Is Megaman going to be in Brawl?
Inafune: Nintendo hasn't contacted us about that.
Fans: Fu~ck

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #199 on: January 25, 2009, 01:30:33 AM
Bringing up the manga especially ... if you do that then I can bring up the cartoon in saying Cutman is mostly Wily's.

Except Ariga's Megamix is on a wholly different classification as the Ruby Spears cartoon, for a variety of reasons such as having access to Capcom of Japan's well established official sources and using those for his continuity.

I don't see why you're so fixated on the mention of it, though, it was never my primary point. The way Ariga used it is simply just another nod to the notion that they're Wily built robots.  If you want more nods to that end, Japanese Wikipedia outright says they're a joint production by Wily and Light, only making an exception for ShadowMan as Wily/Alien. Then there's the notion in the game's plot that these robots were working in relation to Gamma's production on the mining planets, Gamma who was being produced by Light and Wily.

Really, as you yourself say, these were simpler times, before we established more great robot creators aside from Light and Wily. Given everything I don't see why one should doubt them as a Wily/Light creations. The entire setting revolves around their cooperation, after all.

Going with that, I also don't see why you can't accept that Capcom dominantly writes the mm3 robots as Wily's, whilst they see the mm1 and mm9 robots as Right's. As partial Right robots, they're just not given the same attention as their 100% Right made siblings, for them there's not a single heartwarming moment as part of the family. Not within the games and not in any secondary source either. For their origins with Dr. Right, WHY are they WILY Numbers and not RIGHT numbers? Why are they given the same treatment as Wily originals and tournament participants/Cossack Robots that Wily claimed for himself? The simply fact that Wily worked on them and stole them, is enough to change otherwise DRN to DWN.

But if you agree that they're stolen then the discussion is moot.  Because it all started when I said Wily stole the MM3 guys and someone disagreed with that statement.  That's what I set out to say.  Since you agree that they're stolen, well then ... that's that.  My statement that the old fanon that Wily made all the robots (save for 1 and 4) is wrong stands.

Except, you yourself are the one that was saying he didn't make the mm3 robots simply because he had to steal them. As GeminiMan factually notes, he had to steal his own creation who was doing work for society. All other info suggest he was involved in the creation of all the robots from mm3. Making a big point about Right creating them too doesn't change the fact that Wily made them.

When it comes down to your initial statement; Wily made the robots from 2 and 3. Right made the robots from 1, 3 (ShadowMan is an exception), 9. Cossack made the ones from 4 (Wily's behind the scenes meddling creates exceptions such as SkullMan and the combat additions to these robots.). 6's robots are all tournament participants, and 5, 7 and 8 are a mixed bag.