Sonic Forces ~Join the Uprising~

VirusChris · 20904

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: November 07, 2017, 11:38:37 PM
So it wasn't just my imagination, the enemies (at least in the first level) are LITERALLY standing still and don't do anything

[youtube]! No longer available[/youtube]

That's just unacceptable.

Not to say starter enemies in previous boost games are that much better, you'd still need a combined IQ of 2 to get hit, but at least they do SOMETHING.

Interesting that unleashed of all boost games, actually has the most proactive starting grunt behavior. The moment they see you they charge at you.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: November 08, 2017, 12:58:10 AM
I had more fun watching this than whatever Forces had shown.

! No longer available

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: November 08, 2017, 01:37:53 AM
Watched someone play 13 or so stages. The game doesn't seem to be a dumpster fire like 06 or Rise of Lyric. It looks playable, with the usual amount of Sonic jank. But it all just looks dull. The stage design and level art are bland, a far cry from the colorful spectacles from the games its trying to copy. And Classic Sonic has absolutely no reason to be there. He has way fewer stages than Sonic or the Avatar, and has no importance to the story, even though its tied directly to Mania.

I watched all the cutscenes too. They take said story way too seriously. Almost no levity at all. Again, what happened to the comedic writing from Colors and Lost World? And Infinite is incredibly boring and by the book. I wish there was a reveal he was a bad ending Tails, cause that would be somewhat interesting.

The game looks average at best. Which for people like Chris will be good enough. You'll [tornado fang]ing love it. For others, this is just another step backwards in quality for Sonic.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: November 08, 2017, 02:28:10 AM
oh boy that doesnt look good.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: November 08, 2017, 02:34:11 AM
I expected the game to be average and I was right.  Not as bad as 06 or Rise of Lyric, but certainly not up to par with Generations.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: November 08, 2017, 07:12:45 AM
The problem with comparing it to say, Sonic 06, is that at least you can have fun with how broken 06 is. 06 is bad because it is so broken and unfinished. it's practically a beta being sold as a finished product.

But Forces is a finished product that's just dull. Which is almost worse in a way.

Also those classic sonic physics are pretty bad. I mean, they were bad in Generations too, but for the most part, they tried to cleverly hide that fact. Forces isn't nearly as clever.

https://a.pomf.cat/uojjtf.webm

https://a.pomf.cat/laoovy.webm

And having come out after mania, Forces classic Sonic is in a very unfortunate position of comparison.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: November 08, 2017, 01:47:46 PM

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: November 08, 2017, 07:56:38 PM
Mania reigns supreme.

Who didn't see that coming?

https://a.pomf.cat/uojjtf.webm

https://a.pomf.cat/laoovy.webm

We're seeing more and more why this is a $40 game, as opposed to the standard $60 modern game

I wouldn't buy this for any more than 10 bucks though

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: November 08, 2017, 10:27:41 PM
Sonic's been $40 for a while now.

Anyway yikes, when's the PC version getting cracked open?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #109 on: November 09, 2017, 07:03:29 AM
Soundtrack is a step up from the previous post-Colors 3D games, IMHO, so there is that.  And the character creation is honestly fun, I love having the launch bonus memorabilia from other IPs mixed with a Chaos Emerald T shirt, I've got the "fanboy/girl newb" look down.  I was surprised you couldn't name your character, but maybe it's for the best.  Since the game doesn't pretend to care, hearing "Rookie" all the time doesn't sound as out of place.

But...honestly, the controls are stiff and the colors are so bland you can barely see anything.  I'm actually GLAD the level design and enemies are so preschool level because you can hardly react to anything anyway.  They put neon lights on the pits, at least, but the enemies look like mud.  And yeah, the story takes itself too seriously.  Rescuing Sonic after Eggman actually won is an interesting idea, but Tails is useless, Amy's voice makes me miss 4KIDS FOR GOD'S SAKE, and I just can't buy Knuckles as a war commander.  Hearing Rouge talk like she just got back from a sleepover with Camilla was, uh, memorable at least.

Classic Sonic should not be a thing as long as Modern is still jumping into 2D segments anyway, not to mention it now raises the question of why you aren't playing Mania.  If we MUST do multiple Sonics, could we please have a Dreamcast-era Sonic that does a jump-dash instead of that MMZ-level excuse for a double jump?

For a $40 new release, it's fun.  And lack of color contrast aside, it is pretty, even on the Switch (I imagine having access to multiple versions makes the Switch look worse, but if it's the only one you know, it works).  Lots of stunt scenes to look at.  But yeah, it would not have been worth $60.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: November 09, 2017, 05:08:28 PM
Amy's voice is one of the best ones in the post-4Kids era honestly. She really came into her own with Boom, but maybe she's kinda phoning it in.

Rouge always sounds sultry though.

I'd be down for Dreamcast Sonic, actually. Longer spikes and more... rubbery appearance?

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: November 11, 2017, 03:05:47 AM
[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CxvQbKWVjyk[/youtube]

Sums it up quite well me thinks.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: November 11, 2017, 08:35:28 PM
SomecallmeJohnny summed it up pretty well too.

As a whole, the game isn't totally awful, but it isn't anything special either. It's just "meh"

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: November 11, 2017, 11:15:56 PM
I'm sure Chris will find a way to look on the bright side

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: November 12, 2017, 08:13:55 PM
For me the bright side is the hilariously extensive character creator.

Like holy [parasitic bomb] for this short of a game it doesnt need to have as many clothes as it does.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: November 12, 2017, 08:50:55 PM
You can give your character Croc shoes.  Like when would you want to give your character Crocs.  XD

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #116 on: November 15, 2017, 08:22:03 AM
Yeah, I laughed at that when I saw it.

Beat the game about two days ago.  I mean, I actually do find it enjoyable even if flawed.  It won't change your mind about modern Sonic games either way.  I think the disheartening part is that there's so much Sega COULD learn from it, but we all know they probably won't.

1. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, KEEP YOUR MOMENTUM PHYSICS CONSISTENT.  I think I was 20 stages in (hey, they ARE short stages) before I realized why I can't platform for [parasitic bomb] in the game: Modern Sonic and Rookie have very little ability to brake in midair, which isn't so bad once you realize the game has a stomp (that ALSO took quite a few stages...).  Classic Sonic, though?  Stops INSTANTLY.  Like, STH4 if not harder, except when you pull back on the stick rather than defaulting.  Causes me to short-change my jumps constantly.  And wonder why I didn't get that same response in 2D with the other characters.  It's like two completely different games just got mashed together because they happened to have similar abilities on paper.
2. Just...stop using Classic Sonic in 3D games.  2D may have been dignified for Sonic as a franchise, but most if not all of that was done by other developers.  It has been a LONG LONG TIME since it was Sonic Team's forte, and it's redundant with the 3D characters jumping into 2D segments anyway.  The literal only Classic Sonic stage I gave a damn about was Death Egg.  And he has no reason to exist in the story, either.  Yay, the Phantom Ruby, too bad Classic Sonic doesn't talk and so cannot communicate to the rest of the cast that he's seen it before.
3. Again, jump dash.  I hate being in mid-air with that useless excuse for a double jump.  You have so little control over your momentum, it's atrocious.
4. Wispon on the shoulder button, awkward.  I get why they did it, team-up stages, and I like the team-up stages, but they could have had the shoulder button change abilities or just use Y as a duplicate button in Rookie's solo levels.  I keep hitting Y to kill things, because it's how Sonic kills things, and hell how half the video game mascots in history kill things, yet for the Rookie it does nothing.
5. Wisp abilities being relegated to Rookie was a good idea.  Each weapon working with only one wisp ability was a bad idea.  If you're going to do that, at least let us change weapons mid-stage.  You should not have to restart a level and/or memorize what wisps to expect.
6.  Level design 101, first stage (and I mean EACH CHARACTER's first stage, including reinforcing shared actions) needs to teach the player what all you can do.  Quick Step and Stomp were glossed over until later on, and both are pretty well mandatory to maneuvering your character given the game's questionable sense of momentum.
7.  NEVER EVER LET SONIC RUN OFF THE SIDE OF A CORRIDOR.  Metropolis got pretty bad with this one.  "Follow the path" should not be a challenging action in the first place, and it's doubly offensive when combined with the game's boost mechanics.  Why the game is such a pain about getting Sonic to follow the curve of the course in the first place, I'll never know, but at least put some rails on your runways in the sky.

Overall, loved the music, loved the Rookie (can the next game just read our Forces save data?), loved Sonic's character (*sniff* "That's not fear.  I ran all the way here."), and while the levels ARE noticeably short, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It makes the game easier to enjoy in small bursts (relevant to people who carry the Switch around as a handheld).

One other thing I'd like to see Sega do, though, is to take boost off of Sonic.  Not out of the game, mind you, but just to entertain boost and non-boost level design in a single title.  They could bring Blaze back and have her handle the boost levels (it IS from Sonic Rush, after all).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: July 19, 2018, 02:09:24 AM
I dont really feel the need to start a new Sonic topic for this so ill just drop it in here. And mania is tangentially linked to forces anyway

You guys see this?

! No longer available

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: July 20, 2018, 06:50:15 AM
I have, it was awesome! Great commercial that is a throwback to the 90's.

By the way I loved Sonic Forces, but I do I have issues with it with the Character Creation system, the major plotholes in the story (lord oh lord, it had GREAT potential for a dark and serious story in a Sonic game and they missed the mark as well as the English localization team screwing up with the script), some gameplay issues.

It wasn't the worst Sonic game, it was between average and above average. I 100% the game on PC, Switch, and PS4 version and I enjoyed it, but I wish they did better.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: July 23, 2018, 02:38:38 AM
I think the general consensus by most was that it could have been worse, but was just overall somewhere between mediocre and "meh"