Sonic Forces ~Join the Uprising~

VirusChris · 20854

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
on: October 10, 2017, 06:48:39 AM
OK, seeing how the other Sonic topic is closed, this one will be SOLELY on Sonic Forces so please keep it about the game, alright? Seeing as there's some interesting new details and reveals about the game's content I thought to disclose it here with the rest of you guys in case you missed or like to discuss it here.

[youtube]tbIO4uO7awg[/youtube]

Sonic Forces - Story so far...
The Evil Dr. Eggman (aka Dr. Robotnik) has succeed in conquering the world with the help of a new power and calls back powerful legendary villains to his side and has defeated Sonic as a result, causing the blue blur to vanish.

Sonic's disappearance was shocking news to everyone. Sonic's friends, who had escaped from Eggman's invasion, have formed the resistance army. The resistance has bases in several areas. Your Avatar visits the Resistance's Secret Base and it is then that the story begins...

The secret base was created so they could stay hidden from Eggman. Silver and Espio are seen as hero figures. Amy is responsible for communication work.

Knuckles an echidna who’s also Sonic’s rival/friend. Sonic has gone missing and Knuckles (Captain of the Resistance Army) is holding back Eggman’s invasion.

Rumor: Tails goes into hiding when Sonic disappearance and teams up with Classic Sonic to go looking for him and help take out Dr. Eggman's forces from another side of the uprising.

Also the Avatar is the first character you play as.

source: http://sonicunited.org/2017/10/04/famitsu-1910-issue-revealed-new-sonic-forces-screenshots-new-details-about-wips-etc/

Though this is MAJOR spoilers, but a Trophy List for Sonic Forces has been revealed/leaked and really shows how much content in the game. For those of you who don't want to be spoiled, avoid the spoiler list here, otherwise read on if you're curious.

SONIC FORCES TROPHY LIST:
[spoiler]
A Sonic Hero
Earned every trophy.

A New Story Begins
Cleared Stage 1.

Your Own Story
Created an Avatar.

Sextuple Trouble
Defeated Zavok.

Infinite Possibilities
Drove off Infinite.

Mean Egg Machine
Drove off Eggman.

For the Future
Liberated a world.

Courage in Hand
Drove off Infinite again.

Hope
Turned the tide of the conflict.

Bonds of Friendship
Defeated Infinite.

Saved the World
Restored peace to the world.

Sonic and the Secret Stages
Cleared all Secret Stages.

Sonic EXtreme
Cleared all EX Stages.

Reach for the Red Stars
Collected all Red Star Rings.

Sonic Teaches Numbers
Collected Number Rings three times.

Don't Lose Count
Collected all Number Rings.

Silver Moon Mania
Collected Silver Moon Rings three times.

Our Rings are Your Rings
Collected all Silver Moon Rings.

Ring Enthusiast
Collected a total of 10,000 Rings. (All Rings held at the end of the stage will be counted.)

Ring Collector
Collected a total of 50,000 Rings. (All Rings held at the end of the stage will be counted.)

Ring King
Collected a total of 100,000 Rings. (All Rings held at the end of the stage will be counted.)

Fighter
Defeated 1,000 enemies.

Warrior
Defeated 5,000 enemies.

General
Defeated 10,000 enemies.

Hooked on Wispons
Changed Wispons for the first time.

Way Past Cool
Equipped a part in every slot.

Running in Style
Used the Closet.

On a Roll
Achieved a soldier's highest honor.

Honor Roll
Achieved highest honors with all races.

Global Allies
Utilized the Rental Avatar function.

Rivalry Begins
Made it into the rankings.

A New Beginning
Created your second Avatar.

Sonic Blaster
Collected 10 Wispons.

Sonic Jammer
Collected 30 Wispons.

Sonic Battler
Collected all Wispons.

Outfitter
Collected 50 parts.

Style Hog
Collected 100 parts.

Fashion Unleashed
Collected 500 parts.

You Got Them All
Collected all parts.

Everyday Enthusiast
Completed 3 Daily Missions.

Daily Devotee
Completed 5 Daily Missions.

Constant Connoisseur
Completed 10 Daily Missions.

Super Sonic Rescue
Completed your first SOS Mission.

Freedom Fighter
Completed 5 SOS Missions.

Nameless Hero
Completed 10 SOS Missions.

Up for Any Challenge
Completed all Challenge Missions.
[/spoiler]
source: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/6774-sonic-forces

So far there SEEMS to be missing trophies as it doesn't mention anything about Metal Sonic, as one of the other bosses are, and Metal IS a boss fight.

Though you got to give it credit to the people who NAMED the trophies. Either big Sonic fans and/or SEGA providing the names. Either way nice callbacks to even the American cartoons and comics on Sonic.

Anyway the trophies did reveal some interesting things.

Which are something called "EX" and "Secret" Stages. So it LOOKS like we're getting more stages and possibly extreme/hard mode versions of the current stages of the game. Including the fact there's 10+ for EACH mode/playstyle and we're getting Shadow who has 13+ stages, if we add that altogether Sonic Forces has about 50+ in the main game. As the developer of Sonic Forces mention the game's main story is longer than Generations and seeing as there's also 17 parts of the world you also have to save... yeah this looks like a long game for Sonic.

Another interesting fact is there's apparently over... 30 WISPONS for the Avatar to use. Seeing as there's like 15 Wisps in existence prior to this game, my theory is we're either getting NEW wisps for this game or the Wispons will COMBINE two Wisp powers together so you can use them BOTH at the same time. Ultimately there might be a final Wispon that has ALL abilities of the Wisp in one so you're free to traverse all parts of the stage. Just my thoughts.

The Drill Wispon was the latest one revealed, along with the Chemical Plant stage, and the Drill Wispon is sort of the "mocked" Boost gameplay for the Avatar as well as having the ability to "scale" walls. I wonder how that will play at. Also the Cube Wispon has the ability to make a platform made out of cubes to stand on. Possibly for accessing areas you can reach normally without some footing or to get to high places that can't get even with Burst.

Not to mention there's going to be over 500+ Costume parts for your Avatar as well... holy! There's going to be 1000's of combinations for the Avatar... I just hope the community make really interesting looks for their Avatar. Xenoverse had the unfortunate of that where people were mostly Goku or Gohan clones for Avatars. I TRY to be at least original.

Speaking of Avatar, it looks like we're be able to make more than one Avatar in the game. How many I'm not sure, but seeing as it doesn't seem to be locked behind story progress at the moment I guess you can make one of each race and gender if you want right from the get-go. That's nice.

And another thing... there seems to be a Rental Avatar function in the game? I'm... not sure what THAT means, but when I hear that I think of Dragon's Dogma with the Pawns being added to your party from another player's game. Considering there seems to be Races and Challenge Modes in the game perhaps you can battle against other player's Avatar in those mode if you want and keep them in your game?

All I got.

Yeah, there's going to be Daily Missions on top of SOS Missions... which I'm not sure how the SOS ones work. Is it from NPC or other player's requesting assistance? The Daily Missions remind me of Rayman Legends so it might be similar to that, but if it for currency? I'm guessing you need Rings to buy outfits for your Avatar, maybe?

There's also Ranking, which means online mode of course, for possible the Races and Challenges and Time Runs? Don't know if Time Runs are in, just saying.

Also I HATE the Red Rings, but maybe it's mostly because of Colors where you NEED to collect ALL of them to unlock Super Sonic. By the time you get Super Sonic you've done all the levels over and over again, there's no point anymore. Though they weren't too bad in Generations, but honestly I don't think the Red Rings need to exist.

Speaking of things never existing... it looks like the Moon Medals from Sonic Unleashed are back. I mean... why? I manage to get a lot during my first runs in Unleashed so it wasn't too bad collecting them, but I HATE having Story Progression locked behind an item count for a Sonic game. Please, please, please don't let that be the case. Maybe for unlocking something else?

Anyway that's pretty much what I got so far.

Oh! Aside from the fact we get some news on Sonic Forces for the Switch version. It will be locked to a solid 30FPS.... with 60FPS controls(?) and the resolution will be at 720p in all modes handheld and docked.
source: https://www.dualshockers.com/sonic-forces-nintendo-switch-interview/amp/

Well can't be helped as Sonic Forces was first developed for PC and the Switch was the LAST version to be outfitted to.

You know SEGA, I got more hyped and intrigued by Sonic Forces FROM a Trophy List! I know you're trying to keep some things under wraps, but oh well. There's going to be a lot of replayability and content in the game to enjoy.

Another track released from Sonic Forces to tide you over until then:
[youtube]BQ0ilhdTOf8[/youtube]

I already got both the PS4 and Switch versions of Sonic Forces pre-ordered and fully paid off. Looking forward to seeing all you guys who'll be joining the Uprising one way or another!

PS: Forgot to mention this when I first made this topic. PLEASE respect another person's opinions and views on the game and do not aggravate or insult the other user please. If you disagree and offer counter-arguments that's fine, but keep it civil alright? If you can't find a middle ground then agree to disagree and leave it be. And keep on topic as well. This topic is SOLELY on Sonic Forces and not other Sonic games.

That is all. Proceed to your Sonic loving or hating at a regular broadcast schedule.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 01:42:12 PM
Heard Forces on Switch is 720 at 30 fps in handheld AND while docked. WTF ultra fail.

I'll be over here playing Mania. Call me when another good Sonic game comes out.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 04:54:09 PM
What does it matter if the Switch version is locked to 720p and 30FPS? There's nothing wrong with that. Games can still be fun to play with those settings. We didn't have those a decades ago and games are fun then and now. Why should it matter today?

Never understood that. I play Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 in handheld more which is clocked in 720p and 30FPS and I'm still having a blast. Sure it looks and feels faster when in docked mode for 60FPS, but if it's fun and stable to play in both FPS settings I see no problem.

Also another take on the Tag Team Stage showing ANOTHER path in the Pyramid:
[youtube]fO20Q8IbVic[/youtube]

Finally someone shows another way to travel in the place. Most of the time everyone was taking the most common path. I do that sometimes in the 2D Sonic games as well.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 12:39:26 AM
The focus was more that the mode does not change when docked. The system goes into high power mode, and yet the specs don't change? Lazy, or incompetence on Sega's part. Or its so incredibly rushed they didn't have time to implement such a thing? Regardless the reason, it's all bad news.

Also 30FPS is garbage, plain and simple. At the very least they could offer 60FPS in docked mode. In a high speed action game, it is pretty much bullshit to have 30FPS.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:52:42 AM
They mentioned in an article somewhere (need to find it) that the team were a little unfamiliar with the specs for the Switch and the Switch version of Sonic Forces was the last version to make/port to which is why they kept it a solid 30FPS to keep it stable. Not to mention the Switch is slightly less powerful than the PS4 and XB1. Sonic Forces was made in the PC version first so they can make it a multiple-platform console game, so currently the PS4 and XB1 is the more ideal version to get for higher quality.

Sadly the PC version is getting Denuvo tackled on it and I hear a lot of complaints about it.

Also I find nothing wrong with 30FPS. For certain games I prefer it over 60FPS as things happen too fast for me and I find more enjoyable playing games in 30FPS. Plus isn't games like Breath of the Wild locked at 30FPS? Does that make it garbage? No it does not, I get it, it's Sonic and he's all about speed, but being at 30FPS doesn't automatically make it a bad game.

I get it. I'll leave it at that, it's your opinion and I'll say no more.

In the meantime I'll be waiting until Forces come out, as I'm playing the PS4 version first. I like Mania a lot, but I'm kinda done with it, and Forces appeals to me more than Mania as there seems to be more to do in it and looks more fun to me.

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 05:20:24 AM
They said it's still work in progress but....when is the release date again?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 06:34:44 AM
So they admit the port to Switch is bad? lol

Also I find nothing wrong with 30FPS. For certain games I prefer it over 60FPS as things happen too fast for me and I find more enjoyable playing games in 30FPS. Plus isn't games like Breath of the Wild locked at 30FPS? Does that make it garbage? No it does not, I get it, it's Sonic and he's all about speed, but being at 30FPS doesn't automatically make it a bad game.

Oh my god. You're one of those people. You seriously have no idea what you're talking about do you? A lower FPS doesn't "slow the game down". It makes it choppier. Harder to see, harder to discern movement. Harder to control your character and react. It's an objectively worse experience in every way.

It doesn't kill every genre or game, but it would improve every one of them undoubtedly. However for high speed platforming, fighting, an action games (at the TOP OF THE LIST is Sonic) it becomes increasingly paramount to have a solid high FPS so the player has a chance to control and react to the high speed elements on screen.

They said it's still work in progress but....when is the release date again?

Nov 7. The game is already past manufacturing and off to shipping at this point. It has been finalized a long time ago.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 10:48:33 AM
You nailed it.

Not every genre needs to be 60fps, but fast-paced games absolutely should be.

I couldn't bring myself to finish Vanquish on PS3, because the 30fps lock made it difficult to react accurately to the swarms of enemies on the screen. And that game is fast-paced as a [chameleon sting]er.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 07:56:41 PM
Ah, that is true. Wasn't sure how to word it honestly.

The game does get "framerate" drops that lag and/or make it choppy. So I can see the concern with Sonic in that regard.
Having it at 60FPS does make it faster and fluid in action and I love it for it. We'll see how the Switch handles in the end when it release... though I expect some patches here and there.

Well I'm going to play the PS4 version mostly.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:17:00 PM
I mean honestly if I were to get Sonic Forces it would probably be the PC version of it anyway so the performance drop for the Switch doesn't concern me and they could patch it up like Bomberman R anyway.  :\

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 09:45:29 PM
I suppose so, the PC would come with interesting mods for the community like with Generations did. Though you have to deal with Denuvo (DRM) for the PC version of Sonic Forces.

Also we're getting some new news tomorrow:
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/918164698926792704

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 09:54:10 PM
Yeah probably, though honestly I have to deal with Denuvo for some other games I want as well.  I don't really mind DRM most times but really wish creators research which DRM to implement.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 03:28:52 AM
Oh we all know the publishers don't care.

Of course having Denuvo just proves that they learned nothing from the Mania PC release debacle. Sega Europe's doing again? I get the vibe they're mostly in charge of the PC division seeing as the PEGI rating is shown before booting Lost World. They're really not bright.

Watch as the game is cracked wide open within a week of release.

Offline Frozen Potato

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 02:53:43 PM
in some occasion games gets cracked a few hours or a day after release these days tho lmao

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 11:05:02 PM
It is possible that the decision couldn't be reversed in time, regarding the Mania backlash. By the time they got all the negativity from it, it may have been too late to decouple it from Forces to make their release date.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 03:14:25 AM
The news today was about... a Sonic Forces comic? Apparently it's a prequel to the events of the game and it's a four part comic. Reminds me when they did the same with Sonic Chronicles with the prequel comic as well.

Chapter 1 is currently out and in PDF files to view the comic.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/918515173073104897

This is quite... interesting. The Avatar is a Cat in this comic and seems to be a klutz and a coward at times, yearning to go on adventures and be heroes like the famous Sonic, Tails, and Amy Rose. I kinda like the direction the story is going even if there's some goofy light-hearted parts to it. Also the script was written by Ian Flynn... I hear some mixed things about him from fans.

The rest of the comic parts will continue to be released throughout October. Will I guess this explains a bit of a backstory of the Avatar, though I prefer we came from nowhere and filled in the blank, but oh well.

You can read it here:
https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2017-12-10-read-the-sonic-forces-prequel-comic-for-free-right-here

Or download it here:
http://sega-press.com/download/167992/557e5f1345e74e42d70e57b80133aa2aaa36698e

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 03:58:15 AM
Sadly the PC version is getting Denuvo tackled on it and I hear a lot of complaints about it.
Also the script was written by Ian Flynn... I hear some mixed things about him from fans.

At first I thought you just don't seem to form an actual opinion about anything, but now I have to ask... Are you even capable of independent thoug---

Forces appeals to me more than Mania as there seems to be more to do in it and looks more fun to me.
I'm done.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 04:18:51 AM
I'm just saying what people are saying and curious what your thoughts on the guy are?

I'm neutral on both parts. I don't mind DRM as long as it doesn't screw up my games too much, but I do like to play my games offline so having something FORCE to play it online when it's mostly single-player offline style of gameplay.

Ian Flynn... don't know much about him, but I do enjoy some of the stories he's written for the Sonic comics but then again I don't read the comics. I do find an issue here and there in some stores I go into and enjoy them. I'm just stating that fans have mixed opinions on the dude, but I think it's alright for Sonic-type of stories. Though I need to see more of his work before I can say how good or bad the guy is, from what little I seen he's alright.

I just keep things simple.

I really do not like it when people jump to conclusions about me like that.

And what? I like Mania, but Forces seems much more fun to me. I'll see when I get the game, but honestly I do have some issues with Mania... one of them being, I HATE how big the stages are. I kinda prefer the stages being between the size and length of S3&K and CD. Which is why I still consider S3&K my number one favorite Sonic game. I know there's a lot of hidden details in the stages of Mania and I do like to explore a bit, but there's so big and having a 10 minute timer to check every one is a hassle.

Got on my nerves a bit, which is why I prefer not so big stages for 2D Sonic games. Makes me miss the Sonic Advance games now.

UPDATE: So we got this... a twitter post about a tease of the Sonic Forces OST which is two-disc and will have over 80+ tracks apparently for it.

https://twitter.com/SonicNewsNow/status/918364157195452416

Wow... I'm curious to what they are. Most of them are probably remixes though.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/SonicForces?src=hash

Also it seems like the PS4 version of Sonic Forces is 18GB big. OK... are we expecting huge stages or a lot of them?

UPDATE 2: New Track!

Aqua Road
[youtube]jUMilheaIzc[/youtube]

Gosh, I LOVE this track! The track is most likely the Avatar's stage theme of their take on the Casino Forest stage under a different stage. I really like the lyrics in this and the beat is beautiful especially the piano parts.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 09:36:09 PM
I do have some issues with Mania... one of them being, I HATE how big the stages are. I kinda prefer the stages being between the size and length of S3&K and CD.

What?

CD's stages are huge, with a lot of alternate paths to explore.

S3&K is pretty big too. It's certainly larger than Sonic 1 and 2.

Considering Mania draws the most inspiration from CD and 3 specifically, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 11:08:29 PM
Ian Flynn is usually considered really great. He's written for the Boom TV show as well and he's usually up to snuff on the sarcastic humor Sonic typically has. So him writing forces makes me think its gonna be a very goofy take on the "super serious" this game is pretending to be.

Got on my nerves a bit, which is why I prefer not so big stages for 2D Sonic games. Makes me miss the Sonic Advance games now.

So... you prefer levels that have one path with few secrets that are hard to follow because the screen is too small and have 70% of the level dedicated to a gigantic bottomless pit?
Also it seems like the PS4 version of Sonic Forces is 18GB big. OK... are we expecting huge stages or a lot of them?

That's really not that big. Especially considering that PS4 and XBone games install to the HDD its actually really nice that its only 18GB. Means they [tornado fang]ing optimized it and didn't pull some Forza 7 Bullshit with its 96 GB Installation.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 02:06:48 AM
What?

CD's stages are huge, with a lot of alternate paths to explore.

S3&K is pretty big too. It's certainly larger than Sonic 1 and 2.

Considering Mania draws the most inspiration from CD and 3 specifically, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

I've played S3&K, not CD though except for the first stage. I'm aware that S3&K have bigger stages than 1 and 2, I liked that. Honestly I didn't like how Mania stages were bigger than S3&K, I've played that game a lot and Mania stages seems bigger to me. I mean Mania stages are amazing and beautiful with a lot to do, but it seems too much.

So... you prefer levels that have one path with few secrets that are hard to follow because the screen is too small and have 70% of the level dedicated to a gigantic bottomless pit?

Well... I like to blaze though the stages as fast as I can. So having a few alternate paths wouldn't be too bad to check out. Don't remember a lot of pitfalls though... then again I only played 1 and 3 and missed playing 2. How is Sonic Advance 2? I really loved 1 and 3 a lot and enjoyed playing them over and over again.

Oh... I didn't know Ian Flynn. I do enjoy some of the episodes of Boom, they're really clever with the jokes!

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot. That Sonic Forces comic tie-in had some hidden pages if you view the PDF files in Photoshop or another photo editing software that views layer and reveals some things.

LIKE A GETTING A PEAK UNDER INFINITE'S MASK. Yes, you do see what he sort of looks like under the mask. Spoilers in case you don't want to see.

Yeah, it got leaked. I don't think this was SUPPOSE to be there.

[spoiler]

Now that we see him, we see that he has a scar over his right eye and... he wields a scimitar sword? Honestly I can't help but think the theories that Infinite is TAILS from the Gamegear Sonic 2 Bad Ending possibly be from another dimension seeing as we're going with that theme here.

Would be strange if Infinite is Antoine from the Sonic comics. I mean he does use a sword as well.
[/spoiler]

So many theories now about Infinite I'm not sure what to believe at the moment. I hearing some thoughts that Infinite is the Avatar's former friend turned evil from his bio stating he was "not always evil, but mutated to be this way. Also an Anthro like Sonic and the rest of the animal crew". Because of the Avatar doing a "fistbump" with Infinite in the trailer, but honestly to me it doesn't look like it and more like a battle ready stance.

Well this game really does give people a lot to think about.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 07:35:30 PM
I've played S3&K, not CD though except for the first stage.

Then you have no business using CD for comparisons, come on now.

CD's stages were massive, but in a somewhat bad way, since due to the time travel mechanics, the stages were mazelike and designed for precise platforming with a deliberate design geared around preventing speed, so that it was harder to time travel.

mania's Stages are nowhere near as obnoxious as CD's stages. In all honestly, most of them are fairly simple "hold right to win, hold left to explore", which isn't a bad way to do things. I find it hard to believe that someone would be annoyed by a sonic stage being "too big" while liking modern Sonic's railroaded roller coaster rides. That's literally everything wrong with modern gamer mentality. It's exactly the kind of mentality that led to something like The Order 1886, which is literally a movie.

On framerate: let's rewind and remember Sonic Unleashed. Unleashed had some framerate troubles, usually pertaining to when too much was happening on screen. Adabat's Jungle Joyride comes to mind, where the game would chug down to what had to be 10fps or less when boosting over the water setpiece

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Frozen Potato

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 12:56:03 AM
I wonder how Metropolis from Sonic 2 was when compared to Sonic CD stages. I've never really played Sonic CD much to compare since I got bored on it on the first 2 stages lol.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 06:18:33 AM
The focus was more that the mode does not change when docked. The system goes into high power mode, and yet the specs don't change? Lazy, or incompetence on Sega's part. Or its so incredibly rushed they didn't have time to implement such a thing? Regardless the reason, it's all bad news.

Also 30FPS is garbage, plain and simple. At the very least they could offer 60FPS in docked mode. In a high speed action game, it is pretty much bullshit to have 30FPS.
This pretty much sums up my knee-jerk reaction.  And, honestly, Sonic Adventure 2 ran at 60fps on the Dreamcast in 2001, so that level of fluidity is a long way from "new."  For a fast-paced game like Sonic they really should have stuck to that standard, framerate in such a style means a lot more to me than resolution or jagginess of shadows.

I mean, it's still a console game on a handheld, ya-de-ya, and I don't own a PS4 or an XBone, so if I'm getting the game at all (and for $40 minus an Amazon Prime discount, I am), it's gonna be on the Switch.  30fps doesn't make the game unplayable (SA1 ran that way back in the day), and it's a sad fact that the industry doesn't prioritize framerate the way it should.  But I ain't gonna lie, for Sonic speed, it hurts.

Just to put this into context, this is the company whose last otherwise great game somehow screwed up the Switch's basic UI, and they only JUST fixed it, what, a week ago?  Yeah, they are rushing the Switch, I'm quite certain this is a matter of poor optimization for the system.  But I actually appreciate the effort, bumps in the road and all, seeings how a lot of other third parties are either doing nothing, or more deliberately screwing the end user (NBA2k18 being on a cart that is 1/4 the size it should be).  It's a post-system-launch time crunch; delay only the Switch version and it becomes irrelevant, delay all versions and you miss the holiday.  So yeah, it's rushed.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 02:19:31 PM
What they want to do (rake in holiday cash $$$$) and what they should do (wait on Switch releases until they understand it and can make a quality product on it) are two different things imo. I'd rather have a late game than a shitty one.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout