Nintendo Switch coming in March 2017

Protoman Blues · 40164

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 08:08:04 AM
Wonderful 101 is more of a cult thing.

I'll give you X.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions isn't even out, so that can't be argued for.

I didn't really see any buzz about Pikmin 3 either.

The problem with the Wii U's releases are that there are some GOOD games, but they don't generate enough buzz to carry the console. I was reluctant to mention Bayonetta 2 but I did on merit that it saved the franchise and Bayo being in Smash likely carried it further.

Hell, even Star Fox Zero is being made out to be another Metroid: Other M.

You said gems. That includes hidden gems.

And even then, Wonderful 101 actually had pretty good publicity before release, so not really hidden.

And Mirage Sessions came out in Japan a while ago. Many people enjoyed it.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 08:09:54 AM
Don't forget Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and 3D World.

But we seriously need a new proper 3D Mario Platformer as fun as 3D World is.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 08:11:36 AM
You said gems. That includes hidden gems.

And even then, Wonderful 101 actually had pretty good publicity before release, so not really hidden.

And Mirage Sessions came out in Japan a while ago. Many people enjoyed it.

Are you talking about SMT X Fire Emblem? AKA the original?

Don't forget Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and 3D World.

But we seriously need a new proper 3D Mario Platformer as fun as 3D World is.

I said Mario Kart already.

A lot of people seemed to lose interest in 3D World very quickly, so I don't count that either.

Splatoon's a good call though. Didn't expect that to take off like it did.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 08:12:18 AM
Oops my bad again. '>.>

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 08:12:59 AM
Hyrule Warriors.

Even in regards to the "typical Nintendo games" there comes a point where I feel that people are just looking for any excuse to criticize and/or dismiss.  Super Mario 3D World is severely underrated by people who claim it's not a "true" 3D Mario (read: they want Galaxy 3 and nothing else).  Yoshi's Woolly World and New Super Mario Bros. U are also frequently overlooked because they had the grave misfortune of arriving too soon after far inferior 3DS entries in their respective series.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 08:13:30 AM
Mario Maker, from what I've seen, is incredibly popular. Tropical Freeze was received well. Don't know about most people, but I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors a lot.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 08:14:46 AM
What we really need is Galaxy 3.

3D World, while fun, felt way too same-y from any other Mario platformer.

Are you talking about SMT X Fire Emblem? AKA the original?

Yes, I called it Mirage Sessions because I prefer that name.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 08:16:38 AM
Hyrule Warriors.

Even in regards to the "typical Nintendo games" there comes a point where I feel that people are just looking for any excuse to criticize and/or dismiss.  Super Mario 3D World is severely underrated by people who claim it's not a "true" 3D Mario (read: they want Galaxy 3 and nothing else).  Yoshi's Woolly World and New Super Mario Bros. U are also frequently overlooked because they had the grave misfortune of arriving too soon after far inferior 3DS entries in their respective series.
Yeah seriously....Yoshi's New Island's music would leave a sour tastes in anyone's mouth. X(

Although Kirby's Rainbow Curse is kind of disappointing, but I also didn't really like Canvas Curse in the first place so that's my bias.

I love having a playable Peach ala Mario 2 USA though. :3

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: May 03, 2016, 08:18:11 AM
Hyrule Warriors.

who u kidding

we want sunshine 2, you scrublord

But yes, that's part of my argument. Some of these titles were straight-up 3DS rehashes and thus didn't sell well.

Mario Maker, from what I've seen, is incredibly popular. Tropical Freeze was received well. Don't know about most people, but I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors a lot.

Tropical Freeze was pretty good, I suppose? I somehow feel like the rebooted games didn't really last long in terms of popularity, like I stopped hearing about DKCR like a couple months after release and Tropical Freeze was barely acknowledged. Good games, but again, didn't sell well, I guess.

Hyrule Warriors also seemed to not have a lot of interest at first. I do concede that it's picking up steam with Legends around and all this DLC/buzz about Linkle.

Shut up.
We need Sunshine 2.
Get it right or I'm divorcing you.

Yeah, honestly the only time I acknowledged Mirage Sessions was for the [tornado fang]ing ridiculous FIIIYAAAAA EMBUREEEEEM song.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 03, 2016, 08:22:50 AM
The entire POINT of 3D World was that its formula is not typical of 3D Mario games, though.  And I for one was very thankful for that, not only for GETTING TO CHOOSE MY GODDAMN PLAYER CHARACTER WHICH HAS NOT BEEN DONE IN SINGLE PLAYER SINCE 2/USA, but also for the fact that I despise the lack of permanent power-ups in the "typical" 3D Mario game.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 08:23:51 AM
RE: The Wonderful 101, it also hasn't been forgotten. Not only were all the main characters included as trophies in Smash Wii U (and the final boss theme was one of the songs), but it's also prominently featured right now via a 30% off coupon on My Nintendo.

So yeah lol.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 08:24:43 AM
Also unpopular opinion here but Animal Amiibo Festival looks kind of fun when you unlock more modes.  I feel it's at least better than Happy Home Designer of the 2 spin offs.  I do hope they continue making some Spin Offs of Animal Crossing along with the Mobile App they're making.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 08:25:27 AM
So, just to be clear here, what exactly is your criteria?

It didn't help that they spent the next few years releasing honestly mediocre titles in an attempt to bolster sales. I can't honestly say the Wii U has any real GEMS outside Bayonetta 2, Smash, and Mario Kart. Please enlighten me if it does, because the rest seem just like... Okay Nintendo games. Very cookie cutter.

Cause judging by this and your responses to people's suggestions, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for here. The Wii U, while obviously not the perfect system, has had a lot of great, enjoyable games whether they've sold well or not.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 08:26:54 AM
I'd want a new Galaxy for the amazing orchestrated music alone.

The entire POINT of 3D World was that its formula is not typical of 3D Mario games, though.  And I for one was very thankful for that, not only for GETTING TO CHOOSE MY GODDAMN PLAYER CHARACTER WHICH HAS NOT BEEN DONE IN SINGLE PLAYER SINCE 2/USA, but also for the fact that I despise the lack of permanent power-ups in the "typical" 3D Mario game.

Nah, still felt typical.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: May 03, 2016, 08:28:56 AM
I agree with Hypershell here. 3D World was definitely not a typical 3D Mario game.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: May 03, 2016, 08:29:36 AM
If you're gauging the games solely by reception after the point of the console failing than it really is a moot point.

Up until Tropical Freeze almost every single noteworthy Wii U game was a platformer already (2D, 3D, first party, third party, regardless).  I think that's why Tropical Freeze didn't get a huge reception, but it was solid.

Sunshine brought us the evaporate-on-contact-with-water-Yoshi, praise of it is therefore invalid.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: May 03, 2016, 08:30:50 AM
I agree with Hypershell here. 3D World was definitely not a typical 3D Mario game.

To each their own.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: May 03, 2016, 08:34:03 AM
Sunshine brought us the evaporate-on-contact-with-water-Yoshi, praise of it is therefore invalid.
Don't forget how irritating those Piantas are.  Seriously most of them are jerks and idiots.

And don't get me started with the Chucksters! O:<

Seriously Thousand Year Door at least did Piantas right, but Sunshine's Piantas can just go screw themselves.  Hoarding Shine Sprites when their Island depends on them for survival?! Come on!

But seriously Yoshi not being able to swim was bullshit, nor do I think them vomitting Juice was a good idea either.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: May 03, 2016, 08:36:45 AM
So, just to be clear here, what exactly is your criteria?

Cause judging by this and your responses to people's suggestions, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for here. The Wii U, while obviously not the perfect system, has had a lot of great, enjoyable games whether they've sold well or not.

Maybe I wasn't too clear, you're right.

In all actuality, I just want a Gamecube 2. No gimmicky control schemes, a few lastingly-popular games (look how popular GC-era games are compared to Wii-era games) instead of 3DS rehashes and yearly NEW SUPER MARIO BROS releases, good hardware that holds up to the competition (anyone remember how the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2? Remember how multiplats like Sonic Heroes and Resident Evil 4 were more popular on that platform as a result? No?), and finally no alienation of third parties. GC did well because of great third-party support on top of great first-party support whereas the Wii/Wii U had mostly great first-party titles.

Like, just give us a Gamecube 2 and I guarantee it'll perform well. Apply the same philosophy to the NX as they did to the GC and it'll do well. Maybe cut out some of the GC's problems like the proprietary disc format and that'll be even better.

Oh, and when I say hardware that holds up to the competition, I mean the next gen proper. The fact that NX is releasing so soon before the competition is really worrying to me, because the PS5/Xbox Buzzword are undoubtedly going to leave it in the dust due to third-party preference.

If you're gauging the games solely by reception after the point of the console failing than it really is a moot point.

Up until Tropical Freeze almost every single noteworthy Wii U game was a platformer already (2D, 3D, first party, third party, regardless).  I think that's why Tropical Freeze didn't get a huge reception, but it was solid.

That's again part of my gripes with the Wii U. A lot of releases were too samey.

praise of it is therefore invalid.

i will kill you

Don't forget how irritating those Piantas are.  Seriously most of them are jerks and idiots.

And don't get me started with the Chucksters! O:<

Seriously Thousand Year Door at least did Piantas right, but Sunshine's Piantas can just go screw themselves.  Hoarding Shine Sprites when their Island depends on them for survival?! Come on!

But seriously Yoshi not being able to swim was bullshit, nor do I think them vomitting Juice was a good idea either.

i am disowning the both of you

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: May 03, 2016, 08:41:45 AM
I think a lot of the problem is that gamers are a pretty unpleaseable bunch and do not know what they want when it comes to Nintendo. You'll get the one crowd that want them to stay the course and just release continuations of things that work well. Mario, Zelda, Galaxy, F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid Prime/Super Metroid, and so on. Then you've got the people that get tired of the same thing and accuse Nintendo of being stale and such. They want the best of both worlds and it's not easy to keep something going like that. Then you've got the ones that accuse them of being too "kiddy" and such. And so on and so forth.

I think the key thing they have to remember for the future is giving players options on how to play their games. Smash Bros. is the best example of this. They made sure that the Game Cube controller was still an option. Mario Kart 8 did this well too, whereas Star Fox Zero did not. Options are key. I mean, I loved the Wiimote & Nunchuks controls for certain games and I loved the Wii U's gamepad for playing Zelda. But that's me. A lot of gamers don't like things that are different. Of course, I'm not a game developer, so I have no idea how difficult it is to make multiple controller options.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: May 03, 2016, 08:44:12 AM
I just want them to stay fun, as long as they stay fun I will always support them in whatever way I can.  That's all I want in my games, to have fun.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: May 03, 2016, 08:48:13 AM
That's a solid motion, yeah. I honestly wouldn't mind grandfathering in support for Wiimote/Gamepad into NX as long as the main method of control is a regular controller.

But really that first point is also why the GC succeeded so well. It had a solid JRPG lineup like the SNES did, solid 3D platformers like the N64 did, all while both doing new things and refining older things. (IE Wind Waker being a very different Zelda game while Twilight Princess was just Ocarina of Time again. MK Double Dash playing pretty different from 64 while Melee was a very refined Smash 64, etc.)

Different control options can't be that hard. Indie PC devs do it all the time.

I just want them to stay fun, as long as they stay fun I will always support them in whatever way I can.  That's all I want in my games, to have fun.

That's kind of subjective though. Like, I have fun styling in Smash 4 on tournament-legal stages in 1v1s, while my nephew prefers chaotic 4-8p matches on random stages with items on.

I'm not sure where I'm going with that, honestly. I do have faith that the NX will at least have some decent games, even if I'm cynical about it's current state as a whole right now.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: May 03, 2016, 08:49:16 AM
Actually I thought the Gamecube was considered a failure......I mean it's my favorite Nintendo Console next to the SNES but it did not do very well.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: May 03, 2016, 08:53:25 AM
Actually I thought the Gamecube was considered a failure......I mean it's my favorite Nintendo Console next to the SNES but it did not do very well.

Did it not? Someone want to pull sales figures? I know the PS2 won that generation but I at least think it was more well-received than the Xbox.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: May 03, 2016, 08:54:00 AM
Also, if they are indeed holding back the NX until March 2017 because they want to have a strong launch lineup of games, that's absolutely the correct decision. They've already got a potential winner in The Legend of Zelda: The Plains of Enormousness. Rumor is that Wii U Smash is going to be an NX port, which is also smart. Lol, throw in some more DLC to that particular game (Shovel Knight & Shantae please) and you'll have people hook, line, and sinker.

And honestly, just give people what they want to start out. A new F-Zero, a new Metroid, a new ProtoMan game, a new Mario game, and boom. Instant sales. Make it where Sun & Moon connect to a new fully fledged Pokemon NX Coliseum and boom. Money. Hell, Capcom supposedly wants to make a Nintendo vs. Capcom fighting game. If Capcom wants to do that, there's absolutely NO reason why Nintendo should say no to that.