Protoman Blues · 40143

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #150 on: October 22, 2016, 03:33:49 AM
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/21/13362890/nintendo-switch-not-dualscreen

Obvious is obvious but it is confirmed none the less.

Nintendo is oddly really dodging those touch screen questions but we'll have to wait and see what's up next year.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #151 on: October 22, 2016, 08:03:21 AM
Well, it is a legitimate question to ask if the dock can connect to the tablet wirelessly, not only for that but also if the tablet does turn out to be touch-sensitive, which I'd be SHOCKED if it wasn't.

Doubly so since DeNA, which is Nintendo's mobile partner, is listed in the Switch third party dev image.  Nintendo is neither confirming nor denying mobile games when asked, which I take to mean "yes, but we don't want to distract people from getting them on their phones in the meantime".

I'll wager Skyrim's in a similar boat, with its remaster hitting competing consoles very soon.

Also, since we know the Switch is single-screen now:
GET STAR FOX ON IT, NINTENDO

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #152 on: October 22, 2016, 08:12:47 AM
Seriously we need a Star Fox and a 2nd Kid Icarus Uprising game, hell I'd take a ridiculous crossover of the 2. XD

Mother 3 would also be great.....please?

Along with that, Square can we please get something similar to the PSP ports of FF 1-2, FF3 either the DS or PSP version, and FF4 Complete as well as FF4 for Steam which was based off the mobile version which was based off the DS version on the Switch?  That would make me happy since I wouldn't necessarily need to buy a Vita.

Also....give FF5 and FF6 the love they both deserve too, even better if 6 got the FF4 DS treatment in terms of expanded story.   But....not the mobile ports.....please no. 

Heck Adventures of Mana would be great too, just saying.  I mean I know Mana is still dead/in a coma, but it would be really nice to see some different Mana games besides Secret of Mana. 

Also along with Mother 3, Seiken Denstsu 3 would make me immensely happy Square.......also a Dragon Quest 9 remake with better graphics and less Internet tied DLC exclusive stuff.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #153 on: October 22, 2016, 08:21:44 AM
This is probably stupidly optimistic but I'd be really happy if Virtual Console transferred.  Nintendo could stand to throw a bone to people who supported the Wii U.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #154 on: October 22, 2016, 08:23:50 AM
Yeah I mean Nintendo really should start implementing some smoother digital account related stuff.  Especially since My Nintendo is still really heavily pushing Digital only rewards.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #155 on: October 22, 2016, 11:57:31 PM
Also, since we know the Switch is single-screen now:
GET STAR FOX ON IT, NINTENDO
You know, thinking about it, if you strip out the motion controls from Zero then the finetuning of the gyroscope aiming would go missing..
But this is a system with a right analog stick and no obvious reason to actually have independent camera control usually. Hell, the only Star Fox games to have a whole stick for camera control were Adventures and Assault. They could totally fit some aim tuning onto the right stick, it wouldn't be as inherently accurate but these games are all about mastery more than anything.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #156 on: October 23, 2016, 04:40:37 AM
Speaking of which we can probably expect Pikmin 4 on the Switch at launch since the 3DS Pikmin side scrolling game is a side game not Pikmin 4 and the actual Pikmin 4 was pretty much at near completion, especially since Pikmin 3 did leave some things hanging. 

But it does make me wonder if they're going port Pikmin 3 on the Switch and if they do would it not have Motion Controls.  The first 2 Pikmin games being Gamecube games first obviously didn't have motion controls, but most people who have played Pikmin do agree that the Wii versions had better controls because of the waggle.

The Joy-Cons don't really look like they would have motion controls and I certainly don't think that the Wii Motes would be compatible or that they would make Wii Mote succesors, but perhaps it could be something they could talk about/reveal in 2017 since obviously they have more stuff.

Another idea to get around no motion controls is assuming the screen is in fact a touch screen, this could make the throwing of Pikmin and certain other commands even more streamlined but only if you are not playing the Switch while it is docked so we would be forced to use the more inefficient analog control for the Pikmin series while the Switch is in the dock.

I admit I am probably over thinking this but it is something that makes me curious about how the future console Pikmin games will be handled from now on.

Also as an ending side note: PB next time you're in this thread you mind changing the title of the thread to reflect the reveal of the Switch?  Or Phi, or Jelly if he somehow pops out of his groundhog hole again relatively soon and beats either of you to the punch. 

EDIT: Another thing I thought about, Nintendo oddly left out the Dock and the Joy-Con Grip in one of the previous questions asked in some of the interviews about what would be packaged with the Switch and it got me thinking.

What if there was a Deluxe/Starter package that did in fact include the Dock, possibly the Grip, and if they really wanted to be generous the Switch Pro Controller, but had another but cheaper package that only had the Switch and the Joy-Cons at a greatly reduced price.  Because thinking about it from a family or a gaming millennial couple living together perspective, at minimum you would need 2-4 Switches, but only a single TV dock in one single house or apartment. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo was going to do just that.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #157 on: October 23, 2016, 10:44:27 AM
I remember seeing a theoretical picture where a game could be bundled with its own Joy-Con attachment to allow for special controls for certain games, but I doubt a feature like that would be utilized by anyone but first-party.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #158 on: October 23, 2016, 05:50:40 PM
We don't know what's all in the dock, or for that matter if Nintendo is planning more than one dock model.  A basic dock would only require connectors and maybe a fan, shouldn't cost much, and I don't think the Switch should be sold without it.  The convenience of the dock is necessary to offset battery concerns.

You know, thinking about it, if you strip out the motion controls from Zero then the finetuning of the gyroscope aiming would go missing..
But this is a system with a right analog stick and no obvious reason to actually have independent camera control usually. Hell, the only Star Fox games to have a whole stick for camera control were Adventures and Assault. They could totally fit some aim tuning onto the right stick, it wouldn't be as inherently accurate but these games are all about mastery more than anything.
Or they could keep the gyroscope with a toggle that ISN'T the fire button.  And use an accurate aiming reticule.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #159 on: October 24, 2016, 04:15:28 AM
Yeah, this is kind of what happens when I kind of write late at night while having a 3-day long panic attack of sorts, my brain runs 50 miles an hour and misses crucial details.

I agree with you though I do wonder if the dock would be the only way to charge it at the same time, but that's something to talk about in 2017 anyway.

In the meantime the guy who made the color mock-ups made a part 2 for themes.

https://imgur.com/a/rrRFf#VgypiuP

Seriously Nintendo should hire this dude as a designer.

EDIT:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQu0hyYcnR4[/yt]

Interview with one of the actors in the commercial.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #160 on: October 28, 2016, 12:35:17 AM
I think we all need to keep expectations in check when it comes to third parties- After all, the Wii-U initially had seemingly decent third party support, but then many of those parties jumped ship when the console was actually released

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #161 on: October 28, 2016, 02:12:11 AM
There's going to be a Switch presentation on January 12th, not a Direct a god damn presentation.

The President also hints at a number of hardware accessories/add-ons to be made for the Switch.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #162 on: October 28, 2016, 02:44:50 AM
I think we all need to keep expectations in check when it comes to third parties- After all, the Wii-U initially had seemingly decent third party support, but then many of those parties jumped ship when the console was actually released

Wii U's third party support at launch (21 companies)

Switch's third party support at launch (48 companies)

More than twice as much third party support than Wii U did. Even if as many companies jumped ship on Switch as they did on Wii U, we'd still be in some damn fine condition.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #163 on: November 07, 2016, 06:28:40 PM
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/11/capcom_researching_viability_of_ps4_and_xbox_one_ports_on_nintendo_switch

Capcom trying to see if it's possible to port games from the PS4 and Xbone to the Switch, here's hoping they can.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #164 on: November 13, 2016, 10:52:09 PM
Probably possible, but not easy. PS4 and Xbone are [acid burst] easy to port between because they both have the same architecture (x86) and similar AMD-based hardware.

But I'm not ruling it out because, again, the Switch is [tornado fang]ing POWERFUL.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #165 on: November 13, 2016, 11:27:06 PM
Yeah, I'm not ruling out it's possible, it's whether Capcom would do it is the thing.

I mean I would like me some Dead Rising 3 with Hyper Drive Arcade mode so the latter is not only Xbone exclusive anymore.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #166 on: November 17, 2016, 01:18:31 AM
I guess thread rename is in order now that we know the name?

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #167 on: November 17, 2016, 02:16:22 AM
I did ask about that in the last page.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #168 on: November 17, 2016, 02:51:19 AM
Done

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #169 on: November 17, 2016, 04:13:52 AM
Looks like Satoryu Switch'd the name of the thread!

8D

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #170 on: November 17, 2016, 10:41:50 PM
*Click!*

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #171 on: November 17, 2016, 10:47:49 PM
*Click!*
You sound so excited about this, pondering something?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #172 on: November 18, 2016, 05:00:54 AM
More information needed, but I love the idea already. It is the natural evolution of the WiiU in a way. I can take the game with me to poop, or just play in bed. :D

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #173 on: November 20, 2016, 07:05:15 AM
Probably possible, but not easy. PS4 and Xbone are [acid burst] easy to port between because they both have the same architecture (x86) and similar AMD-based hardware.

But I'm not ruling it out because, again, the Switch is [tornado fang]ing POWERFUL.
Well, it's allegedly easier than it was previously.  Nvidia claims that their having a modern GPU with similar features should make things easier.
http://venturebeat.com/2016/11/16/nvidia-porting-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-games-to-nintendo-switch-is-simple/
If I remember correctly, the Shield was built around that idea, that even though it wasn't x86 its architecture was still supposed to be easy to port to.  Switch being the successor to it chip-wise, that would make sense.

So, Mario and Rabbids RPG crossover for the Switch.
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/report-ubisoft-developing-rabbids-mario-crossover-rpg-for-switch-launch-day/

This may be the first video game rumor to give me the knee-jerk reaction of, "so batshit crazy that they can't possibly have made it up."

And it actually sounds really exciting.  Yoshi at the front and center of an RPG makes it a day-one for me, but against RABBIDS?!  Wow.  Just, wow.  Apparently, there will be a Bowser Rabbid (we already have cat-Bowser, so I guess nothing's off the table), and the party will include a number of minor Mario characters.

I gotta wonder if "minor" just means enemy characters like the old Paper Mario days, or if the likes of Waluigi and Daisy are on the table.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #174 on: December 08, 2016, 09:15:56 PM
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJ7IUNWGl4[/yt]

Most of you probably already saw this but Reggie and Miyamoto dropped in on the Jimmy Fallon show to showcase Super Mario Run and the Nintendo Switch with Breath of the Wild, and god the frame rate looks great on it.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE6N9YOOPeY[/yt]

There's also some interesting analysis with it using the USB-C looking to be confirmed and what looks like a matte screen instead of a glossy one which I think is pretty good since while a glossy screen would look better I [tornado fang]ing hate the sun glare which is something I deal with constantly in So Cal.