Dragon Ball Xenoverse ~ The Hero is Goku...

VirusChris · 42430

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: January 20, 2015, 06:31:08 AM
I find his human designs to be alright but very samey, his monster and alien designs are always nice however.

On the plus side it seems super sayians for custom characters just have their hair go blonde and not change to that super spiky style they typically go for.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: January 20, 2015, 06:37:54 AM
I find his human designs to be alright but very samey, his monster and alien designs are always nice however.

On the plus side it seems super sayians for custom characters just have their hair go blonde and not change to that super spiky style they typically go for.

Basically most of the male characters he designs, whether it's from Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest, look like a variation of Goku or Piccolo/Vegeta. XD

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: January 20, 2015, 06:39:08 AM
So basically, Toriyama fails as an artist. Especially if he can't draw kissing.
Back then probably, but look at the Dragon Quest games. 

Especially 4, he designed a belly dancing purple hair Middle Eastern black mage that specializes in fire attacks and debuffs that lives in a continent full of people speaking in french accents, a fortune telling white mage twin sister, and a badass small Russian princess who's main weapon are claws, when she's not equipped with earrings that attack twice or a whip that attacks everything.

Then in 5 he made a tomboyish blond hair girl who again specializes in fire and in the DS version he made a prima donna black haired girl who's like a slightly weaker version of the aforementioned Russian princess.  There's also the prima donna's twin sister, but she's kind more bland compared to the other 2, more of a sickingly sweet house wife.  And you can chose to marry any of the 3 there.

So yeah Toriyama can certainly draw women, he just can't draw the actions between them unfortunately.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: January 20, 2015, 06:45:08 AM
Basically most of the male characters he designs, whether it's from Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest, look like a variation of Goku or Piccolo/Vegeta. XD

Pretty much yeah!  XD

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: January 20, 2015, 06:48:18 AM
Oh wait I made a mistake, the dancing lady only has one debuff spell, the other white mage has the debuffs.  Her other specialty is Michael Bay Explosions magic that attacks everything even if the enemies are in different groups.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: January 20, 2015, 07:04:02 AM
It's definitely possible that he's evolved as an artist since the 90s--I would hope so, at least. Maybe there will be a female Super Saiyan in his new series.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: January 20, 2015, 07:24:28 AM
Unfortunately, Toriyama is far from the only person who suffers from "sameface syndrome".

Hiromu Arakawa, the creator of FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist), created a few other titles. Those character designs look nearly identical to FMA.

[spoiler]

These are three different series, yet you can hardly tell the difference.[/spoiler]

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: January 20, 2015, 08:10:36 AM
Pretty sure same face syndrome is a problem that afflicts most manga artist styles. It also seems like most artists are aware of it and just don't care.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: January 20, 2015, 09:38:24 AM
It's definitely possible that he's evolved as an artist since the 90s--I would hope so, at least. Maybe there will be a female Super Saiyan in his new series.

I'm pretty sure he's on his way to retirement. He's been drawing manga since the 80s after all.

As for art evolution, hell you can see that in Dragonball, in the first series the lines are softer and stuff is typically rounder, it gets sharper and pointier as Z era stuff progresses.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: January 20, 2015, 04:12:02 PM
Unfortunately, Toriyama is far from the only person who suffers from "sameface syndrome".

Hiromu Arakawa, the creator of FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist), created a few other titles. Those character designs look nearly identical to FMA.

[spoiler]

These are three different series, yet you can hardly tell the difference.[/spoiler]

Not as bad as the "Dull Surprise" from Dreamwave's Transformer stuff at least.  XD

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: January 21, 2015, 12:54:31 AM
My idea of a female Super Sayian would be her hair turning pure white and if her hair is short the hair grows.  That's my idea anyway, I just wouldn't like the idea of a woman's hair becoming spiky, especially if her hair was already long.

But of course it would never happen, and even then there was that one video game recently with a female saiyan with blond spiky hair anyway. 

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/141/c/5/female_saiyans_heroines_by_chipchirip-d3gvef0.jpg

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee495/DBZGTKOSDH/SuperSaiyan2GirlsHeroEliteBerserker_zpsedd3d241.jpg

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140413062657/dragonball/images/d/d2/SS3_Viola.png

SSJ Pan, need it, want it, demand it. She better show up in the new series they're doing.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 12:55:14 AM
Fair enough. -u-'

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: January 21, 2015, 12:56:29 AM
See that? That wasn't so hard, now was it, Toriyama?

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: January 21, 2015, 01:38:14 AM
To be fair, a Super Saiyan isn't just spiky, blond hair, and green eyes. They have a particularly intimidating presence as well, which Toriyama feels easier to draw with muscular men. The drawings posted are in typical Toriyama style, which features girls with little to no muscles--which showcases the weakness of his style. He can't draw muscles on women. They all look the same, whether they're supposed to fighters or just normal women. Case in point: Videl has been a martial artist her entire life and yet her physique is exactly the same as her friend Erasa, who has never fought or trained a day in her life. The same can be said with Pan and Bra.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: January 21, 2015, 01:45:36 AM
Yet, Kid Trunks and Kid Goten are also saiyans with very little muscle mass. I mean, you do see some muscles, but they still look like shrimps. They never appeared intimidating to me.

I call bullshit, on his part.

Offline RetroRespecter

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: January 21, 2015, 02:07:58 PM
I have to admit. I wasn't expecting something different for the Dragon Ball series.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: January 21, 2015, 02:26:21 PM
I'm pretty sure he's on his way to retirement. He's been drawing manga since the 80s after all.
You would think that, but he did Jaco the Galactic Patrolman for 11 chapters in 2013.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 04:19:12 AM
GT Goku, GT Trunks, and Pan enter Xenoverse!

Bandai Namco has announced a Season Pass for Dragon Ball Xenoverse, as well as detailed new characters set to appear in the upcoming game.

The $24.99 Season Pass will include access to three different add-on packs:

DLC Pack 1 (Available in March 2015)
3 playable characters: GT Goku, Pan & GT Trunks
4 Time Patrol quests
12 Quests
15 Special Moves for the players’ avatars
5 costumes

DLC Pack 2
Exclusive Playable Characters
Quests
Special moves
Costumes

DLC Pack 3
Turtle Hermit set (sunglasses, Turtle Hermit’s Shell, Turtle Hermit’s Beard, Turtle Hermit’s Aloha Shirt)
Jaco the Space Patroller playable character
More highly exclusive content

Each pack can also be purchased separately for $9.99.

As for the new characters, Mira and Towa, the game’s antagonists, managed to get their hands on a number of Dragon Ball Z characters and turn them into “Villainous” foes. These include: Gotenks, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Androids, and even the Great Apes. They also made Vegeta join the Ginyu Army, and granted Nappa the ability to transform into a Great Ape.

You know this is a pretty good deal! For almost $10 you get a bunch loads of content and by getting the Season Pass you save about $6 on each Pack compared to what other companies do (like BlazBlue for $10 for one character or Dead or Alive 5 with their Costume prices... *shudders*) this is a welcome change.

I know people have mixed feelings about DLC, but I prefer getting extra content like this when they didn't have enough time to finalize all of the data for the extra characters and content that have planned and they plan to support the game for a year. Honestly I'm glad we're getting more stuff! ^_^

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/21/ss4-gogeta-omega-shenron-gt-goku-dragon-ball-xenoverse/

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: January 23, 2015, 04:02:49 PM
Thats a pretty nice deal I might get the season pass.

Also what version is everyone getting? I'll be getting the PS3 version myself.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: January 24, 2015, 03:25:15 AM
I'm getting both PS4 and Stream version.

Also note that the game is NOT cross platform so someone on the PS3 version cannot fight someone playing on the PS4 version.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: January 26, 2015, 10:11:21 AM
I have it on my Steam wishlist. Looking forward to making my badass female Majin. :p

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: January 29, 2015, 06:30:41 AM
I have it on my Steam wishlist. Looking forward to making my badass female Majin. :p

Apparently I'm not the only one who wants to make an awesome Female Majin warrior. ^_^

And...

Dragon Ball Xenoverse - Character Introduction and Gameplay - PV4 Trailer

That gameplay! This is going to be the BEST DBZ game! And those super and ultimate moves which our CaCs can use (most likely)... I can't choose which skills to pick for them! XD

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: January 31, 2015, 02:02:40 AM

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: January 31, 2015, 10:39:17 PM
Dragon Ball Xenoverse - Live Stream (JP 1/31/15)

PS: Whatever happened to the Double Post button feature?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: January 31, 2015, 10:41:06 PM
It died.

It's been like that since well into last year, Chris.