Gundam

Guest · 44748

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #325 on: October 24, 2015, 04:10:33 AM
Mika's characterization in particular stands out. He's clearly the same archetype as Heero and Setsuna, but it somehow feels less forced. Maybe it's because we catch glimpses of more personality than just stoic.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #326 on: October 24, 2015, 04:15:50 AM
So Anime Network posted this and wanted to see what you guys think and what you agree and disagree with.  I personally kind of disagree with what they said about Gundam Wing but I kind of understand why they said it since Wing does have its flaws.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-10-21/mobile-suit-gundam-where-to-start-and-what-worth-watching/.94461

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #327 on: October 24, 2015, 04:30:46 AM
War in the Pocket was [tornado fang]ing awesome, and it really felt more down to earth than the others.

The ones I've seen, anyway. I'm curious about Turn A.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #328 on: October 24, 2015, 04:41:37 AM
Mika's characterization in particular stands out. He's clearly the same archetype as Heero and Setsuna, but it somehow feels less forced. Maybe it's because we catch glimpses of more personality than just stoic.

He actually shows some glimpses of personality and comradery, unlike those two.

So Anime Network posted this and wanted to see what you guys think and what you agree and disagree with.  I personally kind of disagree with what they said about Gundam Wing but I kind of understand why they said it since Wing does have its flaws.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-10-21/mobile-suit-gundam-where-to-start-and-what-worth-watching/.94461

I definitely disagree about ZZ Gundam. That is infinitely more watchable than Char's Counterattack.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #329 on: October 24, 2015, 05:47:48 AM
Everyone gives up too early on ZZ, the second half is pretty good. I can easily see why most don't like the first half though. It's probably best viewed right after the end of Zeta actually, since it lightens up the mood after the far more somber end of Zeta.

War in the Pocket was [tornado fang]ing awesome, and it really felt more down to earth than the others.

The ones I've seen, anyway. I'm curious about Turn A.
Which ones did you see? Just so I can get a good idea of what to recommend. If you liked War in the Pocket though, I'd give 08th MS Team a go.

Turn A... well, I enjoy it, but it's a little all over the place sometimes in the writing department.

Do keep in mind that I'm a big advocate of the UC timeline, I like most of it (yes, including Char's Counterattack, although it's admittedly more for the smooth fight animation and music). UC series are generally more down to earth than most of the AU series.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #330 on: October 24, 2015, 06:37:58 AM
The fights are good in Char's Counterattack, but it just completely ruins the character arcs Char built throughout 0079 & Zeta.

08th MS Team is still my personal favorite. Such a fantastic series.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #331 on: October 26, 2015, 11:19:31 PM
Which ones did you see? Just so I can get a good idea of what to recommend. If you liked War in the Pocket though, I'd give 08th MS Team a go.

Turn A... well, I enjoy it, but it's a little all over the place sometimes in the writing department.

Do keep in mind that I'm a big advocate of the UC timeline, I like most of it (yes, including Char's Counterattack, although it's admittedly more for the smooth fight animation and music). UC series are generally more down to earth than most of the AU series.

Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz
Gundam SEED/Destiny
War in the Pocket
Gundam Unicorn
After War Gundam X
Gundam 00
SD Gundam

So yeah, basically nothing.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #332 on: October 27, 2015, 12:34:17 AM
Hmm... Yeah, if I were to choose one series to suggest, I'd have to go with 08th MS Team. Not sure how you feel about late 70s / mid 80s animation, so I'm not sure if you'd like the early UC stuff.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #333 on: October 27, 2015, 01:01:57 AM
Stardust Memory is also pretty awesome. You'll get to see the worst Gundam pilot in HISTORY!!!

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA450yRJ6Cs[/yt]

Plus this bad-ass opening!  8)

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #334 on: October 27, 2015, 01:05:31 AM
Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz
Gundam SEED/Destiny
War in the Pocket
Gundam Unicorn
After War Gundam X
Gundam 00
SD Gundam

So yeah, basically nothing.
BUILD FIGHTERS/TRY DARNIT :W

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #335 on: October 27, 2015, 01:07:03 AM
Now now PB... both Openings are awesome.

[youtube]! No longer available[/youtube]

Kou is terrible though, yes. It's fascinating to watch though.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #336 on: October 27, 2015, 01:30:50 AM
Now now PB... both Openings are awesome.

[youtube]! No longer available[/youtube]

Kou is terrible though, yes. It's fascinating to watch though.

Yes, both openings are awesome!! It really is fascinating, in that I'm 100% rooting for Gato!

YES. THIS!!!

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #337 on: October 27, 2015, 05:05:11 AM
The fights are good in Char's Counterattack, but it just completely ruins the character arcs Char built throughout 0079 & Zeta.

I respectfully disagree, char was a sociopath with his ideals so deep in his crazy father's ideology that his Gihren like behavior in CCA was completely in character in my opinion. His development even in Zeta still felt like he was just using everyone even his closest allies despite his attempts try and show empathy (In the end he still failed to understand anything about human emotion). I would argue he never really changed from the original series at all-sure his political power grew but his lack of empathy and understanding of humanity as a whole was perfectly summed up in CCA by his actions. He had become the monster he claimed to be fighting against.

The Origin has only focused on that dark side of him even more than before, at least the manga did-I've yet to see the first part of the OVA.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #338 on: October 27, 2015, 05:29:30 AM
His development even in Zeta still felt like he was just using everyone even his closest allies despite his attempts try and show empathy (In the end he still failed to understand anything about human emotion).

This is where I disagree. It never felt like he was using anyone at all in Zeta, but that after his bazooka shot to the skull in 0079, he had moved on. He was fighting for his comrades, his friends, and attempting to be a voice of reason towards healing the Earth. I feel that CCA just flushed all of that down the toilet and went back to the classic "drop a [insert big thing here] onto the Earth" strategy.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #339 on: October 27, 2015, 05:57:44 AM
I don't know about that-Char has only shown empathy to two people in the whole series, Lalah and his sister. The former was a traumatized child prostitute who he manipulated to be a super weapon and sent her to her death. I have a hard time believing that after a whole series of manipulation and backstabbing that char is even capable of moving on. Char was fighting on the right side, but I'd imagine it was nothing more than a stepping stone to forcing humanity off the earth in the long run. With his characterization in mind everything he did just felt so sinister to me in Zeta, it didn't help that his reactions to everything was so cold and emotionless; the guy barely reacted to the death's of his comrades half the time-and despite sharing a similar loss to Kamille could barely bother to show the poor kid any empathy at all. Or at least thats how it came off to me.

I guess it's the sign of a well written character when two fans can have such different views on his actions, I mean despite my opinions I still consider Char one of my favorite characters just because of all his damning character flaws.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #340 on: October 27, 2015, 06:02:37 AM
Yeah, fair enough. Gotta love the Red Comet!  8D

Also, there really needs to be a full version of Gundam: IBO's ending song already. I need it.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #341 on: October 27, 2015, 06:06:31 AM
I'm so behind right now, I've yet to watch the LAST series let alone the part 1 of Origin.  O^O

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #342 on: October 27, 2015, 06:08:42 AM

Yeah, I really need to get on that.

Hmm... Yeah, if I were to choose one series to suggest, I'd have to go with 08th MS Team. Not sure how you feel about late 70s / mid 80s animation, so I'm not sure if you'd like the early UC stuff.

I have a lot of respect for old animation, back when they didn't take shortcuts.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #343 on: October 27, 2015, 10:37:02 AM
Yeah, I really need to get on that.

I have a lot of respect for old animation, back when they didn't take shortcuts.
Oh, then you'll probably at least like Zeta. 0079 shows its age a lot, but I love it for that 8D You can probably keep it to the movie compilations for 0079, although characterization is lost in the process.

As for CCA... honestly, rewatching stuff in order has made me appreciate it a bit more. A lot of the scenes in Zeta show Char progressively turning more like his father, and I'd argue that him finally taking the front stage for the speech later on in the series is a step towards CCA Char, particularly with the subject matter of his speech. The final confrontation between the characters near the end also shows a lot of it.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #344 on: October 29, 2015, 01:22:51 AM
So a new animated Gundam series is in the works.

Teaser Website: http://gundam-tb.net/

Story Synopsis:

Universal Century 0079. Federation troops and Zeon forces carry out a fierce battle in the "Thunderbolt Sector" in what was once Side 4 "Mua". The "Thunderbolt Sector" is a shoal zone composed of the debris of destroyed space colonies, named for the electrical discharges from the metal debris. MS pilot Io Flemming is among the Federation soldiers who are dispatched to the area, where Zeon sniper Daryl Lorenz awaits them on the battlefield.

Nothing much else is known, whether it's a full anime series, or a set of OVAs, or movies. However, seeing all the clunky Mobile Suits being animated will be VERY awesome.

Like the Psycho Zaku.

And the Full Armor Gundam.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #345 on: October 29, 2015, 02:01:55 AM
Considering the length of the Manga, there should be just about enough material for 25-ish episodes. Then again, I haven't read it so I don't know what the pacing is like there.

... This just brings up my hopes for a Crossbone adaptation. One can hope!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #346 on: October 29, 2015, 02:10:53 AM
I'd so love a Crossbone adaptation. Either way, color me interested!

For the record, I COULD use another Build Fighters series. I mean, there's no reason to stop!  8D

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #347 on: October 29, 2015, 03:04:34 AM
Let's wait and see how the two OVAs pan out.
They better resolve the sexual tension between Sei and Reiji! XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #348 on: October 29, 2015, 03:56:24 AM
More Aila JyrkiÀinen and Miss Sazabi, please!  8)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #349 on: November 17, 2015, 01:07:12 AM
Man, they sure got those fight scenes down in IBO so far. I hope they can keep it up.