Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter by Wayforward (PC/PS3/PS4/Wii U/XB1/360)

Jericho · 16766

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Yeah ; ; Everything looks so good too.  Hopefully they can add the other stuff in as DLC someday but who knows.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Yeah ; ; Everything looks so good too.  Hopefully they can add the other stuff in as DLC someday but who knows.
Yea, it looks quite good as an HD game. Can't wait to get a 1080p HDTV to see everything in amazing detail.

Yea, I know both you and I were hoping for the "Vixylicious" stats-changing costumes. >U<
So I don't count...? ;_; *cries in a corner*

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
The visual style alone got me to chip in. I'm, not really as into Shantae as some of you guys, but Wayforward has a way of speaking to my wallet.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
I decided to put $25 in seeing as the GBC game was really fun, a little cheap at times but fun nonetheless.

I'm not so hopeful it'll make it to the 400,000 goal, or any of the stretches.

They should've pulled this out after Mighty No.9 as that's getting everybody's money now.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Oh, I'm sure they'll make the 400k, but yeah, the fact that most of the stretch goals will probably go unmet is sad.  'specially the extra chapters.  There is an outside chance of reaching those costumes, I think...

Thing about following M#9 is that they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.  If they were to hold off, it would only invite others to vainly try to duplicate 9's success, and people would only get more sick of it during that time.  Maybe if WayForward makes decent progress, they'll consider extending their deadline and/or implementing DLC?  That's probably the best we can hope for...

I intend to $35 their way for the soundtrack/artbook by the month's end, though right this second isn't the best time.

Also, I found the uproar over Shantae's skin tone...odd.  I mean, I get it, it WAS a noticeable change, but I don't see why it was so big a deal as to alter the existing images on the Kickstarter to try and "erase" it.  I honestly just chalked it up to the art style shift (nothing we didn't see from Nintendo when Daisy made her N64-to-GCN transition).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Because it could be seen as white washing. There is no way to tell for sure why they did it, and no way they would admit to white washing if it did happen. We do know that companies, usually the bigger, are not all that progressive when it comes tom female protagonists, and non white protagonists. Shantae would fall under BOTH categories. On top of this, it's worth noting that Arabic people (or anyone with brown skin) are still not that high on America's 'like' list in the wake of 9/11. Taking that into account for Shantae, this is three strikes.

It is very possible that she was changed in the 'best interest' of the Kickstarter's success. Not that I am saying that is what happened, or claiming that WayForward is racist, or whatever. We simply don't know, but the possibility cannot be ignored.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that it was simply an art decision. Shantae's skin color is one of her stand out features, and a nod to the whole Arabian theme. If that were to be removed, it would be essentially a crime to the character and vision of the game in itself. I honestly cannot see any artist having the balls to strip away that from Shantae. It just doesn't seem reasonable, and furthermore it doesn't seem as though the art suffers at all from a tan skinned hero.

But alas, we will never know for sure. Certainly this also doesn't mean we shouldn't support the project. They did, after all, rectify this mistake.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Because it could be seen as white washing.
...it's still "okay" to be white, right?  'cuz I kinda missed my opportunities for sun this year.

Alright, I apologize if anyone found that response in bad taste.  Serious discussion to follow:

There is no way to tell for sure why they did it, and no way they would admit to white washing if it did happen. We do know that companies, usually the bigger, are not all that progressive when it comes tom female protagonists, and non white protagonists. Shantae would fall under BOTH categories. On top of this, it's worth noting that Arabic people (or anyone with brown skin) are still not that high on America's 'like' list in the wake of 9/11. Taking that into account for Shantae, this is three strikes.

I think WayForward is small/indie enough for such logic to qualify as jumping the gun, ESPECIALLY given their history with female protagonists in their original games.  Shantae herself is the closest thing they have to a mascot.  And if they are "large" enough for this to be a concern, they'd be taking backlash for being on Kickstarter in the first place.  Further, I don't imagine hatred of Arabics is much worse now than it was in 2010 when Risky's Revenge came out.

It could also be that during the "proof of concept" phase, nobody internally gives a damn.  Although, to be fair, their video is a lot more polished than most of what we saw in, say, Capcom's devroom.

What causes me to raise an eyebrow is only partially the over-reaction, though.  It's also the half-assed back-pedaling.  They'd have been just as well to throw the tan into updates after a specified date and leave it at that, but there's this partial image redo going on with the main page.  The summary headers were edited to include the tan, the stretch goals were not.  The video preview image was edited to include the tan, the video itself OBVIOUSLY does not (the video ends with the original preview image art, it's pretty damn hard to miss).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Shantae, while critically acclaimed, was a wholly underwhelming commercial venture. Why do you think it took so long to get Risky's Revenge? And on the DSi, it was going nowhere fast. Shantae has never met with financial success, until presumably the 3DS and iOS releases of Risky's Revenge. We also know console and handheld titles are treated very differently. Console titles are riskier and treated with more 'care' to be broader appeal.

Likewise, as 'indie' as WayForward is, they've been around for a long time and have done a LOAD of work for bigger companies. They're no stranger to the workings and habits of big corporations. Sure they have a history of female protagonists in games, but which platforms? Handhelds primarily. The exceptions were Blood Rayne Betrayal, which is all about an existing IP and super gore plus sexualization, and Mighty Switch Force HD, which is a port. Not the best exmaples to support the opposing side. Again, a different kind of crowd. Shantae is the only non white, and maybe someone higher up felt that was part of the problem for it's commercial viability. This Shantae is bigger and bolder, with a lot more at risk. It is a Kickstarter but they've already put a lot of time and money into this. A truly successful Kickstarter is more like a business plan, than a "we'll see if people donate". They planned for this, and they know what they're doing.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that her skin tone was changed to be more accurate to her previous appearances.

Really, that's all there is to it. Making this Shantae's appearance faithful to her previous ones. I don't think there's any deeper meaning behind it.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Oh no, don't get me wrong. I'm talking about why it was changed to white in the first place when the Kickstarter launched. I'm really happy they changed it back to tan.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
I'll probably be the only one who really doesn't give a damn either way about the skin tone thing (Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they leave Pale Shantae in as she's basically a palette swap, that probably doesn't take much effort to add in.), but if there's one thing about the newer stuff I don't really like is the addition of the Blush sticker looking bits on her cheeks.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I'll probably be the only one who really doesn't give a damn either way about the skin tone thing (Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they leave Pale Shantae in as she's basically a palette swap, that probably doesn't take much effort to add in.), but if there's one thing about the newer stuff I don't really like is the addition of the Blush sticker looking bits on her cheeks.
You're not.  I just obsess too much over why other people [sonic slicer] and the reactions thereof.
(I'm also highly skeptical of the entire topic of speculative racial offense, but that's a whole other discussion)

Agreed on the cheek thing.  But it's not so much "new" as it is more noticeable with the tan, I think they just need to adjust so that it doesn't contrast as sharply.  It seems to just be part of their art style, since they also do it for Mimic and Rottytops.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
CROSSOVER TIME

Mighty No. 9 just plugged Shantae, and Shantae plugged Mighty No. 9, since apparently, Inti will be involved with both.

By Wayforward
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/600876?

By Inti. / Comcept
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/601267

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
That reminds me...

/puts in $75

There we go!

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Yea I never doubted one bit that they would be helping out. And the reason why I loved those cute Pirate's Curse drawings in the first place~ >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
It's amazing how similar the art style of those two images is...

Anyways, threw my $35 in today.  Not a lot, but it'll net me the soundtrack and artbook.  And it's $35 more than I gave to Mighty Number 9 (which I am ALSO looking forward to, but be real, there's no danger of that one being under-funded).

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Now that's what I call teamwork. :D
Wish I could donate for both of these though. ;_;

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
They couldn't sound more bored.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
BECK FAN ART! We don’t just collect fan art, we also make our own! Here’s what we think Shantae would look like sporting Beck’s armor from Mighty No. 9, made just for you Beckers! Isn’t she adorable? No, this is not one of our unlockable costumes, but we think it’s awfully cute.

Sadly no

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
That makes me sad. What an opportunity.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
If PC gaming has thought me anything, it's this: If it exists on PC, it can be modded. 8D

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/
hm interesting money calculator, with tracking and stuff~

(c) Sky Child~