The Final Fantasy Thread ~ For all your Chocobo Needs!

VirusChris · 29205

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: October 10, 2014, 05:26:22 AM
Apparently its more like 60 GB.

And most of that's more likely put towards the video files (Both English and Japanese language are included, which means two versions of each cutscene because of lipsync and what not.)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: November 11, 2014, 09:27:52 PM
Who's ready for more bad ports?

XIII-2's page is up on Steam, it releases December 11th for $20 (But you can buy it now for $18)

EDIT: Actually they say it'll have custom resolutions. Good on them.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #102 on: November 11, 2014, 09:40:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was poorly optimized for PC like XIII.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: November 22, 2014, 06:12:31 AM
In case any PC Final Fantasy XIII players care, a patch is coming in December that finally adds video options to the game -- even though as a PC game it should have been there from the get-go, so 1080p is possible without resorting to third-party methods (i.e. modding) that tanks on your game's performance, not that it was great on PC to begin with.

Archer

Reply #104 on: November 22, 2014, 08:48:27 PM
In case any PC Final Fantasy XIII players care

No one cares.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: November 23, 2014, 03:24:46 AM
No one cares.
I threw that "in case any cares" bit in there because I knew you'd respond. Phi is right, you are so...

Geese Howard: PREDICTABO!
P.S. True not giving a [parasitic bomb] would be not acknowledging it at all.

Archer

Reply #106 on: November 23, 2014, 05:34:03 AM
P.S. True not giving a [parasitic bomb] would be not acknowledging it at all.

or maybe i was bored and wanted to post something

p.s. i don't give a [parasitic bomb] about half the things i post about

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: December 07, 2014, 06:09:55 PM
Final Fantasy 7's due out for the PS4.

Of course, its not a remake, its just a port of the 2013 PC version.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: December 08, 2014, 02:10:28 AM
MAX LOSES HIS MIND - Final Fantasy 7 (PS4 Not A Remake - Reaction)
So on a scale of 1 to 10, how relevant a Final Fantssy VII port on PlayStation 4 like this is, with all things considered?

Offline Arikado

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: December 08, 2014, 05:05:16 AM
"Are you [tornado fang]ing shitting me"
That's pretty much how I reacted upon hearing about this.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: December 08, 2014, 05:27:42 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: December 08, 2014, 05:33:55 AM
I just facepalmed when I heard about it. 

Still waiting for 5 and 6 3DS remakes.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: December 08, 2014, 06:08:51 AM
The sad thing is when Clef says it's the PC port, they mean it. It even has the awkward one-tone battle shadows that version had, compared to the actual shaded shadows the original PS1 version (and consequently the port already on PS Classics) had. They're probably doing this solely because the PS4 closely resembles PC architecture, so why not just do some tweaking and bring that over instead of heavily reworking the emulators the PS3 had to utilize (which admittedly is cost-efficient)?

And all of this is probably so people can buy the game yet again since PS Classics aren't on the PS4. I actually want to see just how horribly pixelated the backgrounds be due to the upscaling, or what inevitable quirks come out of a port of a port of a port.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: December 08, 2014, 06:28:13 AM
I just facepalmed when I heard about it. 

Still waiting for 5 and 6 3DS remakes.

I've been waiting for DS remakes since the IV remake. Then the 3DS was announced and Final Fantasy was one of the many titles confirmed for the system; I was almost sure that it was a 3D remake of V or VI.

But nope, the best we got is Final Fantasy Explorers or whatever it's called. Thanks for all the disappointment, Squeenix. I won't hold my breath for those remakes anymore.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: December 08, 2014, 07:05:47 AM
I actually want to see just how horribly pixelated the backgrounds be due to the upscaling, or what inevitable quirks come out of a port of a port of a port.
My older brother has the Final Fantasy VII on PS1, both physically (I think he still has it) and on PSN (which he deleted to save space on what little is left on a 60GB hard drive for all of his other games), and from what I remembered playing a little bit of it on PS3, it looked gnarly upscaled to 1080p (where available) and not in a good way. Jagged edges and pixelation all over the place without the smoothing option on, and with smoothing on it looked blurred and was barely an improvement. This is like Fable Anniversary on PC all over again.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: December 08, 2014, 07:39:16 AM
My older brother has the Final Fantasy VII on PS1, both physically (I think he still has it) and on PSN (which he deleted to save space on what little is left on a 60GB hard drive for all of his other games), and from what I remembered playing a little bit of it on PS3, it looked gnarly upscaled to 1080p (where available) and not in a good way. Jagged edges and pixelation all over the place without the smoothing option on, and with smoothing on it looked blurred and was barely an improvement. This is like Fable Anniversary on PC all over again.

Now imagine all of that but with all the character models and interactable objects being properly rendered in higher resolutions (yet still looking like lego people obviously) while the backgrounds remain jagged and pixelated. The Train Graveyard in Midgar, for example, has a couple trains you have to move and thus have models - thus they look downright alien next to the pre-rendered CG background trains on the same screen.

CGRundertow FINAL FANTASY VII PlayStation VS. PC Video Game Comparison

EDIT: Unless they screw up big time by using an older version of the port somehow, the music complaints should be mended, though. The music was originally in MIDI back for the first PC port, then they just.. re-recorded the MIDIs into OGGs for the 2012-2013 port, but earlier this year they patched in OGG recordings of the original music from the Playstation version.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: December 10, 2014, 02:38:21 AM
The thing that burns my ass is that FF7 is the one that would MOST benefit from being remade. It does NOT stand the test of time. Yet they constantly continue to refuse a remake, even after that PS3 tech demo that got everyone wanting it.

The sheer disregard or misunderstanding for the fans' feelings on this is just mind boggling. At this point they practically owe the fans a remake.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: December 10, 2014, 02:40:36 AM
Even though I honestly don't care about 7 I agree with that.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: December 10, 2014, 04:18:56 AM
While the way they presented it at the conference was less than adequate, I'm going to go ahead and disagree that it should be remade. Chances are the remake would cost more than it would be worth to make in the end.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: December 10, 2014, 04:21:04 AM
While the way they presented it at the conference was less than adequate...

I dunno. I thought it was pretty hilarious myself!  8D

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: December 10, 2014, 04:32:25 AM
While the way they presented it at the conference was less than adequate, I'm going to go ahead and disagree that it should be remade. Chances are the remake would cost more than it would be worth to make in the end.
Yeah that might be the case unfortunately, even though I still want 5 and 6 remakes more. 

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: December 10, 2014, 04:46:36 AM

How much you want to bet it would outsell every single entry in the "FF13 series"? Perhaps even all of them combined.

And really, what they will profit off of the remake isn't just financial. They will get back long time fan respect, and reawaken the fan base that they have alienated as of late. This wont just effect sales of the FF7 remake, but also future titles.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: December 10, 2014, 04:56:54 AM
How much you want to bet it would outsell every single entry in the "FF13 series"? Perhaps even all of them combined.

And really, what they will profit off of the remake isn't just financial. They will get back long time fan respect, and reawaken the fan base that they have alienated as of late. This wont just effect sales of the FF7 remake, but also future titles.

... Unless they change things in such a way that longtime fans won't like, and they'll lose more respect. Which is exactly what would happen, and you know it.

Take on the flip side of that, just for the sake of argument, and they'll alienate the new fans (which I'm pretty sure there are more of, sad to say).

It's a lose-lose situation honestly, looking at it objectively.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #123 on: December 10, 2014, 05:20:40 AM
I'm pretty sure a few years ago they addressed the alienation possibility and that's why they're not going to go ahead with the remake

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: December 10, 2014, 05:27:02 AM
The thing that burns my ass is that FF7 is the one that would MOST benefit from being remade. It does NOT stand the test of time. Yet they constantly continue to refuse a remake, even after that PS3 tech demo that got everyone wanting it.

The sheer disregard or misunderstanding for the fans' feelings on this is just mind boggling. At this point they practically owe the fans a remake.
It's times like these were the whole "fans does things better than the developers" thing comes into play. The PC version already has a modding community, and they proven that they can, at least, replace assets from the game -- textures, models, effects, sounds, the music, just about anything that can be modded to their ability -- to point the were the game almost looks like an updated PS2 port of sorts. Then again, probably the reason why there's a modding community in the first place because the original PC version back then was naff as it was based on earlier builds of the game if the Final Fantasy Wiki is to be believed. Other than the crap MIDI quality music, and from what I've read on TV Tropes, the PC version had some questionable system requirements for a Windows 95 game (on Windows 98, not so much), Chocobo Racing would freeze the game running on Windows XP, FMVs were lower quality than the PS1 version, and had some glitches here and there that were not present in the PS1 version. The newer version on Steam and the Square Enix Store at least fixed many of these issues, but like Nexus said, the music didn't get fixed 'til 2013 and some of the visuals looks off although that could be because Square's using a fan-made rendering tool for the newer PC version if the Wiki is be believed again.

In the end though, if you ask me, the first Parasite Eve holds up much better than Final Fantasy VII (in my opinion).

Yeah that might be the case unfortunately, even though I still want 5 and 6 remakes more. 
At least you have better hope for those games than me wanting a remake of Parasite Eve...