It Dumbfounds Me that People Find BBAMM Offensive

Treleus · 13280

Archer

Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 09:52:43 PM
He's still a sorta-living reminder of what we could've been looking forward to, and it's very hard to separate that from him.

I honestly don't see how you can't considering backstory aside, MEGA MAN is nothing like any of the others. It's extremely easy to separate them.

[spoiler]Who the hell pays attention to the backstory of fighting game characters anyway?[/spoiler]

As for the character himself, doesn't he come across as a bumbling coward? Even if one disassociates references, there isn't much to like.

Do you not understand what a joke character is...?

Capcom still should've known that going with the design they did even after everything that happened in-between its approval and the release of SFxT could potentially raise a shitstorm (which it did).

People are still bitching about Legends 3, in comparison the 'BAMM fiasco' is almost non-existent.

And honestly with the way the fanbase is now, they would have found something else to [sonic slicer] about.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 09:57:53 PM
Honestly I don't mind Bad Box Art Megaman at all, though I do agree that the timing was just horrible and I didn't know he had the Legends back story so that does add salt on the wound.  

As Assemu said before it's not a Capcom Vs game it's a Street Fight Vs game so I have no idea why they would put him in as a joke character.  I'm disappointed that Capcom would do something like this thinking this would be joke, it really shows that they aren't in touch with the fans anymore, and unfortunately BBAMM is one the receiveing end of that.

I think it would have been better if he was in MvC3  or something and had a different story like wanting his own game, similar to Asagi in the Nippon Icchi Software games, but first he had to prove he was rough and tough before he could get it and at the end he gets a contract. I definitely would have love that more than what's happening to him now.  It's a shame BBAMM could have been great but the current Capcom doesn't know what their doing anymore.  I honestly feel sorry for BBAMM's treatment by the fans because of this but it really make sense why they hate him with the way he was handled.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:53 PM
Do you not understand what a joke character is...?

I do, but I don't think he was a well-timed joke character. And just because something's a joke, doesn't mean I have to think it's funny.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 04:02:16 AM
Never said you had to find it funny. I just didn't think it was worth getting offended over. I'll understand disliking it or getting peeved towards it because of timing, but no offense meant, none should be taken.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 04:18:59 AM
im sure this was said many times but Ono originally wanted Classic Rock but Inafune wanted him to use BBAMM because he's wonky and fun.

But of course, the timing was really bad (was originally meant to promote Legends 3 and Universe), and it sent the wrong message to the fans.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 02:40:20 PM
Totally doable.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 03:48:22 PM
Well done, O-Man.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #32 on: September 08, 2012, 06:26:33 AM
Never said you had to find it funny. I just didn't think it was worth getting offended over. I'll understand disliking it or getting peeved towards it because of timing, but no offense meant, none should be taken.
of.fen.sive adj
causing displeasure or resentment <offensive remarks>

Frankly, I find that comment offensive.

Put away the pitchfork for a moment.  You're assuming that being "offended" specifically denotes an extreme and overzealous reaction, a violent retaliation and/or a desire to abolish, or at the very least, some accusation of malice by the offending party.  None of that is by any means true.  I may take offense to the fact that you are telling others how to feel, but that doesn't mean I'm going to join a bandwagon against you, ostracize you, otherwise be a dick to you, encourage my friends to boycott your business, or any other such nonsense.  Holding intelligent and constructive conversations with you does not require that you personally approve of my feelings, and there's no reason for me to pretend that it does.  Finding something offensive is a personal, subjective matter.  To what extent that offense goes and what type of reaction it warrants, that too, is up to the individual.

Parodies are only funny if they are not being passed as a replacement for the original work, otherwise they are seen as ridicule.  And that's why many a gamer find BBAMM to be offensive: Because the "genuine" Mega Man has been MIA in video games for the last couple of years after numerous lost opportunities.  It should come as no surprise that context plays a huge part in what does and doesn't bother someone.  For the last 23 months gamers have been looking to Capcom for some sign of the blue bomber's stability after Inafune's departure, and Capcom's answer has been the cancellation of everything we looked forward to, plus BBAMM in a fighting game.  Why is it surprising that such a situation upsets people?  We all know what BBAMM was intended to be: a friendly jab at our fond memories.  What he turned into was a mocking reminder of what was ripped away from us.  The exact same action holds a vastly different meaning depending on the setup, and the one fully and solely responsible for that setup is Capcom.  So why shouldn't the fans be upset with Capcom?

So, yes, the people who are pissed at BBAMM, *ARE* pissed mainly because of Legends 3.  I just don't see anything wrong with that.  If we had some other "proper" Mega Man game to at least attempt to take the focus off, then maybe things would be different.  But if Mega Man lives in gaming ONLY as a joke, then that's a problem, and I can't blame any fan who is bothered by that.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Archer

Reply #33 on: September 08, 2012, 07:15:51 AM
Parodies are only funny if they are not being passed as a replacement for the original work, otherwise they are seen as ridicule.  And that's why many a gamer find BBAMM to be offensive: Because the "genuine" Mega Man has been MIA in video games for the last couple of years after numerous lost opportunities.

You'd have a point if it was a Mega Man game, but it isn't. It's a game that has nothing to do with Mega Man.

There's no reason for the original to be here at all, so there's nothing wrong with putting BAMM in the roster.

He is in no way replacing the original work.

And maybe you have a point with the Legends 3 thing, but it's been a year since then. If you're still using it as a reason to take offence to BAMM, well what can I say

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: September 08, 2012, 09:18:50 AM
Mega Man has been a staple bonus or cameo character in MANY Capcom games. He's been in unrelated games before too. Canon Spike had good ol' Rock, and Onimusha Blade Warriors had Mega Man EXE and Zero Series Zero. I don't think it's too far out for Mega Man to make some kind of a appearance in a Street Fighter crossover. But if he did, I would have expected the actual character, not the tie in joke gone sour. ESPECIALLY after circumstances left the punchline without the actual joke.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: September 08, 2012, 04:08:34 PM
And maybe you have a point with the Legends 3 thing, but it's been a year since then.

We've waited 11 years in anticipation and hope. It was within our grasps, then ripped away and taunted at.

1 year doesn't even begin to smooth it over. Not by a long shot.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: September 08, 2012, 05:20:52 PM
Both Flame and Objection Man nailed their respective points.

You are correct, AA, in that a fighting game crossover is not a Mega Man game.  But that would excuse his absence, not his mockery.  There's a world of difference.  I wasn't terribly concerned with, for example, the lack of any "true" blue bomber in UMvC3, for exactly that reason.  However, Capcom CHOSE to include Mega Man in SFxT, and if they throw in a punchline with no joke, as Flame so aptly put it, then we have every right to criticize them for it.  We have every right as fans to not be amused.

BBAMM's presence in SFxT is a direct reference to both Universe (what would have been BBAMM's first playable appearance) and Legends 3 (BBAMM's "digger" backstory in SFxT), set up with Inafune's permission prior to him leaving the company, when the games were still on track for release.  The tie-in would have been for the good of all three.  But letting that pass unmodified after what happened to both Mega Man titles is an act of gross negligence on Capcom's part.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: September 08, 2012, 06:09:28 PM
Just wanted to add to my previous post, on why its no surprise to expect Megaman in a Street fighter game.

Mega Man and SF have been pretty closely tied together since back in the day when they were both the powerhouse juggernauts that represented Capcon. Megaman refences and or cameos in SF, and the same thing for SF in Megaman.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: September 09, 2012, 04:40:38 AM
of.fen.sive adj
causing displeasure or resentment <offensive remarks>

Frankly, I find that comment offensive.

Put away the pitchfork for a moment.  You're assuming that being "offended" specifically denotes an extreme and overzealous reaction, a violent retaliation and/or a desire to abolish, or at the very least, some accusation of malice by the offending party.  None of that is by any means true.

Then why do I see the complete opposite in so many Mega Man fans today? They've given me sufficient context to define how they've been offended better than a dictionary can.

I may take offense to the fact that you are telling others how to feel

By the way, I think it's a little odd that you're telling me I'm the one with the pitchfork. That's the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it?

but that doesn't mean I'm going to join a bandwagon against you, ostracize you, otherwise be a dick to you, encourage my friends to boycott your business, or any other such nonsense.  Holding intelligent and constructive conversations with you does not require that you personally approve of my feelings, and there's no reason for me to pretend that it does.  Finding something offensive is a personal, subjective matter.  To what extent that offense goes and what type of reaction it warrants, that too, is up to the individual.

The problem is that with this state of affairs between Capcom and Mega Man fans, it hasn't remained personal. It's become endemic and paraded around for the wrong reasons. I'm not liking what I'm seeing, and I wanted to call people out on that. I know what people are mad about, but as far as I can see it, something like BBAMM is just an available scapegoat.

Parodies are only funny if they are not being passed as a replacement for the original work, otherwise they are seen as ridicule.

What reason does anyone have to believe that a parody like BBAMM would replace Mega Man? Maybe for an incredibly short stint that some Mega Man fans won't live down, but so far a lot of people enjoyed what was pretty much a cameo throwback. And some of them are Mega Man fans who wanted Legends 3. To each his own, I guess, but I think a lot of Mega Man fans are overreacting.

And that's why many a gamer find BBAMM to be offensive: Because the "genuine" Mega Man has been MIA in video games for the last couple of years after numerous lost opportunities.

Which is a shame, but Mega Man is far from gone. He's shown up in NamcoXCapcom and TatsuVSCapcom and starred in Mega Man 9 & 10, and now ([tornado fang]ing finally) X is showing up in Project X Zone. I'm not saying people should be satisfied with all this, but suffice it to say that Mega Man is not MIA. Just on hiatus.

It should come as no surprise that context plays a huge part in what does and doesn't bother someone.  For the last 23 months gamers have been looking to Capcom for some sign of the blue bomber's stability after Inafune's departure, and Capcom's answer has been the cancellation of everything we looked forward to, plus BBAMM in a fighting game.  Why is it surprising that such a situation upsets people?

Honestly, it isn't surprising. It's just a bit disappointing. Why grump about it when you can try enjoying it instead? It is at least a Mega Man in a fighting game rather than no Mega Man. It's also the most appropriate Mega Man for that kind of game: a silly grabbag of characters in a wacky fighting game. BBAMM was just the best fit for SFxT, even if he doesn't perfectly appeal to our hero worship. If you would've rather have had no Mega Man there, that would not have made sense. Who else would they have gotten to counter Pac-Man's appearance in the game? Captain Commando? Then all 5 of the Commando fans would've been happy, but we'd still have a shitload of pissed of Mega Man fans who are (understandably) desperate for attention, but don't understand that Capcom doesn't revolve around Mega Man--especially not now. They don't have to like him, but they can at least acknowledge him as *a* Mega Man. Specifically a different Mega Man than has ever been in a fighting game before.

Speaking of which, just about every iteration of Mega Man has shown up in a fighting game already. The entire MvC series sans MvC3 has had at least two Mega Man characters if not three, and Mega Man also cameo'd as a fully playable character in Cannon Spike some time back. Then Mega Man EXE showed up in Onimusha Blade Warriors alongside Copy Zero, who also showed up in Capcom vs SNK: SVC Chaos (whereas X showed up in a chibi card battle VS game) Meanwhile, Zero's also showed up in Tatsu and MvC3, and most everyone considers him an honorary Mega Man character because he's jush sho cooool and got his own spinoff series.

I know this is where you're going to cite bad timing, and that's fine, but beyond reparations for the mishandling of Legends 3, I don't expect anything more from Capcom. At this point, I'd be happy if they did something cool or fun with the franchise, even if it means giving the washed up old cover art man some time in the sun. At least he'll give the franchise's heavy hitters some time to relax, but relaxing seems far beyond what a lot of Mega Man fans are content with. Like you said, that's a personal matter, but personally, I think they should calm down and refocus their anger.

We all know what BBAMM was intended to be: a friendly jab at our fond memories.  What he turned into was a mocking reminder of what was ripped away from us.  The exact same action holds a vastly different meaning depending on the setup, and the one fully and solely responsible for that setup is Capcom.  So why shouldn't the fans be upset with Capcom?

See, but I never said people shouldn't be upset at Capcom. I'm just criticizing what the aim of that anger is. BBAMM isn't the target. It shouldn't even be in the peripheral vision. At this point, he's just a fun cameo that not everybody likes, which is fine. If he becomes more than that, though, I think it'd help if the fans had a bit of lucidity about their own history: every new series beyond either Classic or X was met with some level of extreme negativity or pessimism, and they were all usually around a time of uncertainty for the series. After Classic, people were tired of Mega Man and Capcom had to think of something new to do. After X was headed for the dirt and Pokemon was getting popular, Capcom decided to shift gears to Mega Man Zero and Battle Network, both of which are arguably the most popular Mega Man series to date. This was shortly after Legends came and went without a lot of fanfare. Then we get a slight resurgence of the X series followed by Star Force and ZX shortly afterwards, and after that very brief period of productivity, Capcom just was not seeing a lot of return on the series for their efforts, limp as they might have been. I don't doubt that Capcom painted themselves into a corner when they decided to bank on sequel after Mega Man sequel, but isn't it safe to say that they were responding to what we wanted as fans? Meaning that maybe we're just not as profitable or meriting as much attention as we'd like to think.

Yeah, this is all bad timing, but it also coincides with a resurgence of some other old Capcom franchises that people love: Resident Evil and Street Fighter. It makes sense that they'd be focusing more on where the money is, even if their decisions with how to handle these investments are so short-sighted and myopic that they seem to be sabotaging their own success--like they did with Mega Man. What makes us think in our wildest dreams that they'd treat Mega Man any better, or differently? Is it really reasonable for us to be jealous of either Resident Evil or Street Fighter, considering all the cock-ups and betrayals people keep harassing them about it for? Look at what they're doing with Mega Man on the iPhone. Neat [parasitic bomb], right? And if I'm perfectly honest, Rockman Online didn't look that great at all. It had some potential, but it needed a good bit of polishing up, and also it's a game more suited to the Korean MMO audience that it is to Western folk. The best looking things about Online were the animated trailers.

So, yes, the people who are pissed at BBAMM, *ARE* pissed mainly because of Legends 3.  I just don't see anything wrong with that. If we had some other "proper" Mega Man game to at least attempt to take the focus off, then maybe things would be different.  But if Mega Man lives in gaming ONLY as a joke, then that's a problem, and I can't blame any fan who is bothered by that.

That's where we disagree. I understand Mega Man fans are bothered by everything that's happening to the franchise, but sometimes taking it out on everything they see Capcom doing (or not doing) with the character is a waste of effort and makes people look foolish and petty. Capcom just isn't obligated to do anything more with the franchise than what they intend, and fans' only recourse is to show their demand and never let up. The problem is that for all the times fans seemed to have made their voices heard, they've done more fruitless whining and less actual buying than Capcom would've liked, so the big company translates that as "little demand" and starts rethinking what to do. Sometimes that isn't the fan's fault, like when Capcom just puts out worse products than the last ones, but other times the fans don't give decent games a chance (see Legends) or there aren't enough to show interest in the brand compared with fans of other brands. Considering that good Mega Man games tend to outweigh the bad ones, this is probably a prime indicator that the brand isn't that reliable. However, this is also because Capcom's actually pretty bad with talent turnover and franchise management, so that plays a role in how much demand their products generate--and they also don't give some games a chance.

Ultimately this is in Capcom's hands, but we're the ones that are telling them whether they're doing things right or wrong, and sometimes, we're just dead wrong about what we want. Multiply by 5 different subfranchises and you have a situation that is sufficiently [tornado fang]'d. The fanbase is just far too divided, and Capcom needs to work on uniting them. That means giving every subfranchise attention, which is like reviving five different game franchises to please five different fanbases. Pretty tall order, Nordberg! You could cite this as a good reason to refuse any new game starring BBAMM, which I'd agree with, except that BBAMM is a warm-up act at best. Not a heavy hitter.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: September 09, 2012, 05:56:37 AM
Then why do I see the complete opposite in so many Mega Man fans today? They've given me sufficient context to define how they've been offended better than a dictionary can.
As I said, it is up to the individual.  But when you go drawing distinctions between being "peeved" and being "offended", you're merely passing your own view of semantics off as fact.

By the way, I think it's a little odd that you're telling me I'm the one with the pitchfork. That's the pot calling the kettle black, isn't it?
No need to get defensive.  That was merely my way of asking you to hold back your initial reaction to my first line and hear me out.

The problem is that with this state of affairs between Capcom and Mega Man fans, it hasn't remained personal. It's become endemic and paraded around for the wrong reasons. I'm not liking what I'm seeing, and I wanted to call people out on that. I know what people are mad about, but as far as I can see it, something like BBAMM is just an available scapegoat.
UMvC3 was a scapegoat.  BBAMM is just bad taste.  As I've mentioned in my last post, there's a world of difference.

What reason does anyone have to believe that a parody like BBAMM would replace Mega Man?
He HAS, that's the point.  That's not by any means to say that he always will; suggesting otherwise would be naive.

You may call it a short stint, but as Objection Man pointed out, it's a stint that was 11 years in the making.  That's not something that's going to be brushed under the rug easily.

suffice it to say that Mega Man is not MIA. Just on hiatus.
Once again, you have an outstanding ability to split hairs among synonyms.

But I digress.  None of your examples post-date the production of Universe other than Project X Zone, which as far as we can tell is likely remaining Japan-only (I hope I'm wrong), and it's developed by Bandai and Monolith, not by Capcom (which is their excuse for not giving a damn if the game is localized or not).

BBAMM was just the best fit for SFxT
That's a debatable opinion if I ever saw one.  Anyone with a brain stem knows that the Mega Man franchise comes with a huge variety of options even if you're only willing to consider the series lead characters.  There are seven of them, after all.

What's more, there are more "Bad Box Art" designs than just MM1/Universe on which SFxT's is clearly based.  Their entire joke approach could have been very easily preserved with far more dignity and grace by simply reskinning it into the MM9 or MM10 promotional designs.

Is it really reasonable for us to be jealous of either Resident Evil or Street Fighter
Not in the least.

I mean, some passive, instinctive resentment, maybe.  But by any level of reasonable, conscious thought, attacking one franchise for the sake of another makes no sense to me.

And if I'm perfectly honest, Rockman Online didn't look that great at all. It had some potential, but it needed a good bit of polishing up, and also it's a game more suited to the Korean MMO audience that it is to Western folk. The best looking things about Online were the animated trailers.
In terms of it's platform, you probably have a good point.

But there's more to it than that.  I know I wasn't the only one who, back before Legends 3 was announced, was more excited about RMO than about Universe.  For all the "enlightened" gamers who claim that narrative and gameplay are the be-all end-all of gaming's appeal, there is a HIGH level of character-based appeal to the medium.  Why else do you think that Mario's face is plastered on every sport known to man?  A familiar face opens the fan up to new experiences.  When they first stepped into the DS generation, though, Capcom took the complete opposite approach: Recast the franchise, uproot the aesthetic, and attach it all to the same old gameplay with minimal tweaks.  It was exactly what they shouldn't have done, as it alienates the existing fans without attracting new ones.  That's why Capcom is pulling a complete about-face with Ace Attorney, and why they tried and failed to do the same with Operate Shooting Star, and to a lesser extent Zero Collection/Mythos.  It's also why XOver's artwork is seen as a complete contradiction in target audience to the nature of its "casual" platform.  And it's why (along with the whole co-op gameplay thing) Rockman Online was a hot topic despite the english-speaking world knowing damn well they would never play it.

Rockman Online would probably never have been popular simply because PC MMOs are a dead genre outside of a few key franchises.  But there are some awesome concepts in there, and Capcom could honestly learn a thing or two from it.

Archer

Reply #40 on: September 09, 2012, 06:12:05 AM
He HAS, that's the point.  That's not by any means to say that he always will; suggesting otherwise would be naive.

As I've stated before, SFxT is a completely unrelated game - there's no reason for the orignal Megaman to appear so replacing involved. Maybe if they cancelled Legends 3 to make BAMM the game you'd have a point, but they didn't.

BAMM was something that was decided to be done alongside MMO and L3. Considering those two got cancelled, shouldn't you be happy they didn't take him out as well? Your logic of "no Megaman at all" makes no sense to me.

Let's be honest, if it was leaked that BAMM had been taken out of SFxT because of those two games being cancelled, the fanbase would have been even angrier than they are now.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: September 09, 2012, 06:29:42 AM
Both Flame and myself have already answered that.

And no, I don't think the reaction to BBAMM being removed would have been terribly severe.  Why?  Because to this day, nobody gives a damn about Mega Man Universe, which was essentially BBAMM's flagship game.  The fanbase brings that one up only for the sake of describing the state of the Mega Man franchise as a whole.  Exceedingly few actually mourn it.

But, as I said last post, there was no reason he needed to be outright removed.  There were other ways they could have handled it.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: September 09, 2012, 07:09:31 AM
Had BBAMM been removed from SFxT, I would have commended Capcom's smarts in removing a character which would have caused controversy and upset.

For a franchise game, a joke like that is fine. For a cameo in an unrelated game, I would expect the actual character. Again- especially after the joke was left half baked with the cancellation of the two games that were part of it.

Archer

Reply #43 on: September 09, 2012, 07:29:20 AM
Had BBAMM been removed from SFxT, I would have commended Capcom's smarts in removing a character which would have caused controversy and upset.

I find that very hard to believe.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: September 09, 2012, 08:48:31 AM
In this particular case? yeah. I would.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #45 on: September 09, 2012, 09:16:07 AM
Though I'm not furious about BBAMM (in fact, I don't really care), it's basically like this.

Imagine a tripod, with the humorous intentions BBAMM in SFxT on top of it. The three legs are the fanbase, L3, and Universe. In order for BBAMM to succeed, he needs all those supports. Then two of those legs are taken away, being the games. The "joke" that is the character no longer has the supports for it to go off aside from the fanbase, which is effectively removed from the equation by the other two supports' removal. And, naturally, what happens is the humor quite literally falls flat. Nothing substantial is left to keep the intentions afloat, and it fails.

The intentions were good from the start, but it broke down completely along the way from initial planning to release. That's it. Whether or not it's an considered unrelated game is irrelevant. As has been said before, Mega Man has cameo'd in many other game that would qualify as irrelevant in the same way; there was a time when ol' Mega was basically Capcom's mascot, so it was natural for him to randomly pop up in Capcom games. That in itself makes them relevant for the Blue Bomber; history has proven that much, at the very least.

Correct me if I'm misstating this.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: September 09, 2012, 09:21:17 AM
 Why?  Because to this day, nobody gives a damn about Mega Man Universe,

Only 130 likes?? Hahaha! That's way worse than I would have ever imagined! That is just down right pitiful. Now that's what I expect out of something like Xover.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #47 on: September 09, 2012, 09:22:01 AM
Only 130 likes?? Hahaha! That's way worse than I would have ever imagined! That is just down right pitiful. Now that's what I expect out of something like Xover.
Xover's cancellation would bring a group that would peak at 12 likes or so. :P

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: September 09, 2012, 09:47:19 AM
It's a pity that all these new 100k pages are only mooching off of the only 'successful' (*wink wink, nudge nudge*) 100k page.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: September 09, 2012, 05:03:21 PM
I find that very hard to believe.

"Hey, Capcom was going to include a sorta-living reference to MML3 and MMU and make him an out-of-shape schlub of dubious likability, but after those two games bit the dust, they went back, picked a different design, removed the references, and revised his character to not be so dubious. Maybe Capcom isn't as thoughtless as we figured?"