Looking for a new Modem, which one should I get?

VirusChris · 2084

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
on: January 04, 2012, 06:46:10 AM
Hey there! I'm trying to get a new Modem as I want faster connection speed when playing online and I want to know which is the perfect type of Modem to get. I have DSL connection and I'm currently using the Westell Modem (that's what it says on it) and we've had it for like, I think, 6 years give or take. I noticed on my grandfather's computer when my little brother uses it when he goes over to his house he has a Netgear Modem and the connection speed is much faster than ours at home seeing how fast the YouTube videos load.

I talk to one of my old friends and mentions getting a Cisco 1650x Modem for better connection speed, but another person in an online game I'm playing recently stated that Netgear is better to get but I'm not sure.

Which one is better to get and/or is cheaper that goes well with our wireless connection speed? My dad doesn't want to spend $100 for Comcast connection speed monthly so that's why we currently have the DSL connection.

What about you guys? What do you think I should get for a new Modem to enable faster connection speed?

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 08:06:07 PM
Get a Netgear and move within 500 ft of me so I can borrow your connection. :P

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 10:29:29 PM
Very funny Quickman. :P

Anyway this is my current connection speed:

My Ping is: 111
My Download speed is: 0.30Mbps
My Upload speed is: 0.13Mbps

Which is horrible for online gaming which is why I tend to lag most of the time. Any suggestions should I take to improve my connection speed? Contracting my ISP is one way to get some help with it, and maybe the Netgear would provide extra boost even only a little, and Cable Connection is better for online gaming right? There are five people in my house that use the internet so bandwidth or whatever gets split or something right?

What can I do?

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:30:38 AM
0.3? For 5 people? What is this i don't even
Get a Cable right now! My ping is around 10, and download up to 50 mbps, and it'll double in few months.
And they say I live in a poor country with expensive internet...

But seriously, yes, bandwidth does split. I'm not so sure that new modem will boost your speed, it's more a matter of connection. And I understand that where you live you may not have access to better connections, but still. 0.3 is really, really bad.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 03:28:12 AM
I know... our provider is Verizon I believe? Though we had DSL for like over 6 years... I don't think we've upgraded it or check our connection speed for a while now and I checked with my parents. Apparently my dad said the provider is under mom's name for setting up the internet connection but when I asked my mom she said it was dad. I think it's been so long they've forgotten.

I really need to fix this up... we need at least 50mbps... that should be enough, but how much will it cost for that much speed? Hopefully it's between $30-40 for that kind of speed.

Also the name of my Router is Westell VersaLink Model 327W which we had for as long as we had DSL. Is that too old? Do I need to look for a new Router after checking my ISP?

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 04:25:51 AM
Well, I can tell you only about how it works for me in Poland: right now I pay 30$ for 50 mbps, and they give me free new router and TV set-top box (I have a 3-in-1 service) every few years.
If you switch from DSL to cable you should get new router, your old router probably has no idea about new connections. I think you'll get it from your ISP along with new contract, but that's only my guess.
Anyway, good luck!