Syndicate

Acid · 2032

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
on: October 03, 2011, 12:43:49 AM
I assume very few people here are interested in this... but I'll give it a try anyway.

A new take on another older franchise. Some of you might remember the Syndicate games in which you commanded a gang of coated cyborgs that had to trace down their target in funky futuristic or dystopian cities to gun them down mercilessly.

Some might get turned off by the transformation into an FPS or by the new visuals or even by the music, but I'm quite intrigued.

From what I've seen the old squad mechanics will be replaced with a co-op mode for up to 4 players. So if anyone here is interested make sure to inform me, we might end up playing together.

Lastly, the announcement trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewwtznVkSxA[/youtube]

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:10:11 AM
See, being a gigantic fan of the classic Syndicate and Syndicate Wars, one of my favorite Bullfrog games, I'm very disappointed to see this being turned into an FPS game without the cool old squad elements and probably without a pinch of interest.

But it IS being made by Starbreeze, and Starbreeze has never made a bad game yet. They managed to make a Riddick game better than all Riddick movies, and a The Darkness game better than all of the Darkness comics. The game will most probably be very good. But this WUB WUB WUB dubstep bullshit ain't Syndicate.

Also, SO MANY PROPS for making a western game thread on weeabooland, broski. Always count on my replies in stuff like this.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:28:29 AM
But this WUB WUB WUB dubstep bullshit ain't Syndicate.

From what I have seen Skrillex just made the music for the trailer and won't be involved in the entire soundtrack at all. If that true... I dunno.

It was a remix of an old Syndicate theme anyway.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 03:37:01 AM
Still bullshit. Well, I'm hoping it's an entirely new, and GOOD game anyway. The squad mechanics in the original were incredibly fun, but to make it all into an FPS just seems so redundant. Couldn't they have just made an entirely new IP? It's not like Syndicate fans are gonna buy this in droves.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 03:45:25 AM
Since release is roughly 4 months away I assume we will get more and more info on it rather soon.

One thing though is that they apparently got Richard K. Morgan as the writer. I'm not familiar with him at all but he's supposed to be good with "evil corporations running the world" dystopian stuff.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 04:21:10 AM
Yeah, his isn't really the best material. He also wrote for Crysis 2.

Which had probably the most run-of-the-mill stereotypical boring story I've ever seen in a game.

The trailer seems to show a Deus Ex-like atmosphere. I'd like it if we could interact with the world instead of just missions.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:30:18 AM
Compared to X-COM-in-name-only this looks good, and I'm cautiously optimistic.

If you're more interested in a game that actually plays like Syndicate, check this out:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/21/paradox-announce-cartel-interview/

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 10:59:01 AM
And even that was better than 360/PC's Shadowrun, yet another victim.

Still, In Starbreeze We Trust.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 12:40:09 PM
Haven't read the Certale article yet, though I wonder:

Will Cartel be more down to earth and closer to our technological standard or will it follow Syndicate and be all cyberpunk and stuff?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 02:55:09 PM
Close to Earth and to our technological standard. Sadly, cyberpunk is all but dead and every single game nowadays has to have depictions close to our world just so we can feel "immersed". And the game certainly seemed that way.

It's a shame, but imagination is dead.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 10:31:19 PM
To be honest, that's quite a bummer. I would have preferred a different setting other than ours. More into the future preferred, but not necessary.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 11:29:46 PM
Tell that to developers nowadays. They're not always original with the locations.