45 Yr. old woman graduates college after suffering total memory loss at age 22.

Flame · 2705

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Just as it says on the tin.

A community college commencement is, for many, a celebration of second chances.

Consider Su Meck. The 45-year-old homemaker from Gaithersburg graduated Friday from Montgomery College with an associate degree in music. It’s the culmination of a life that, in most senses of the word, began at 22.

In February 1988, a ceiling fan fell on Meck’s head. The blow erased her memory, and she awoke after a week in a coma with the mental capacity of a young child. She no longer knew her husband or her two baby sons. She barely spoke and could not read or write, walk or eat, dress or drive.

“It was Su 2.0,” said Jim Meck, her husband, a systems engineer. “She had rebooted.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/gaithersburg-woman-earns-college-degree-two-decades-after-complete-memory-loss/2011/05/19/AFWAMg8G_story.html

Wow. I cant imagine what that must be like. For either side. Family, AND herself.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Holy Stuffz.
Here I thought stuff like this is only possible in movies and cartoons... boy, do I stand corrected.

It must have been really horrible for her.

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Somehow I found it really cute how the husband described her condition in such a geeky way xD;

I wonder though, would she have young tastes like the 23 year olds of today? After all, she forgot about the pop culture that she had loved as a kid =\ That's some determination though \o/

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
well she would have developed tastes based on stuff present after the accident, so yeah I guess so. In another article she said "I am definitely not the same person he married," when discussing how while her children never knew her before the accident, her husband of course, did. Saying it must have been difficult for him.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Jeez. At least she didn't turn into someone else. That would be horrible for the family.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Jeez. At least she didn't turn into someone else. That would be horrible for the family.
She did though. Read: she literally was reset, and had to start over

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
She did though. Read: she literally was reset, and had to start over
I was thinking more along the lines of leaving her family and stuff.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
pretty fantastic that she got totally back on her feet after all that, a lot of people aren't so lucky