What are your favorite fighting game characters (from a gameplay perspective)?

Jericho · 5714

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Inspired by a bit of dabbling in fighters I've done over the past few weeks, I figured since I haven't seen this topic around, it'd make for a fun discussion. What characters do you play or see played that make you really go "this is [tornado fang]ing cool" or just appreciate for how they work among a set cast?

Everyone here probably knows a lot about how much I like Marth in Smash Bros. Melee & Brawl and the reason is pretty simple. I love characters that have a straightforward design with maneuverability. The former allows me to understand what my option is to finish the job, while the latter gives me a sandbox to get to that end. In more traditional fighters, Makoto from Third Strike easily embodies everything I love about fighters in general. She's a no nonsense, "improvise, get in, rip [parasitic bomb] apart character" that isn't heavy on execution as she is on understanding positioning. Plus it looks so [tornado fang]ing cool when a Mak player really gets into it. XD

So RPM, now I pass the thought train on to you, who are your favorites and why? Also, the topic title is more of a suggestion than a guideline, although I'd really love to hear what you love most about the characters you pick in terms of how they play.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Before opening that link, it's a top JP Makoto double perfecting Kokujin's Dudley isn't it? *checks* Yup XD

Sheesh, I love fighters, but honestly that's something I've never asked myself. I don't know who my favorite is, I just know I love to rush the [tornado fang] out of people XD

Also, I recently discovered that I love to chip people to hell (think Strider+Doom in Marvel), so that just complicates things further XD

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Get Ready!

MAXIMUM SPIDER!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd87849Sw-Q[/youtube]

When it comes to the VS. Series games, I usually pick my favorite characters to fight with. Case in point, I've been using (and by using I mean nothing but Maximum Spider-ing to my death) Spider-Man ever since Marvel Super Heroes. In TatsuCap, I loved using both Jun & Ken, along with Casshern & Tekkaman Blade.

In Soul Calibur, my main has always been Maxi, because nunchuks are my favorite weapon & he sports my favorite fighting style. Plus, Maxi is a representation of the fact that I like to use tricky, somewhat unexpected character tactics. It's how I play Peach in Brawl. Brawl is another example of me picking my favorite characters, like Fox, Toon Link, Zelda, and pretty much the majority of character I use. (Peach I use cause she's soooooooooooooooooo fuckin' smug!)

With Power Stone, I picked Rouge for my love of fire & tits, plus her "CUM ON YOUR CEREAL" phrase is priceless.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Before opening that link, it's a top JP Makoto double perfecting Kokujin's Dudley isn't it? *checks* Yup XD

Sheesh, I love fighters, but honestly that's something I've never asked myself. I don't know who my favorite is, I just know I love to rush the [tornado fang] out of people XD

Also, I recently discovered that I love to chip people to hell (think Strider+Doom in Marvel), so that just complicates things further XD

I was initially going to post this but thought RPM might have needed a little something that got straight to the down 'n dirty. On another note, Karakusa grab is love. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, I forgot my favorite mech fighting game, the one in which I won 1st place for at PAX East.

Fei-Yen Kn is my other representation of what I like, characters with speed. She provides speed, chipping damage, and power but has little defense. She is my ultimate fighting character, one that I practically know inside and out. Plus, I do love beating people with hearts.  0v0

It's why I love using characters like Fox, Sonic, Capt. Falcon and such.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile

This is the only right answer.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
I'm not much of a fighter myself, but i f**king love watching good Seth players
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0O-GLYm00[/youtube]

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
From a strictly gameplay standpoint this is a pretty hard question to answer.  I can appreciate speed, power, cuteness, all ends of the spectrum pretty much.  Generally I just tend to gravitate towards those who are among my favorites as characters, and adapt myself to their gameplay.  Some are more difficult than others, though (Bowser in Brawl, just......WHY?!).

And it depends on the game.  For Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, the speed/power/low defense thing seems obviously my schtick as I play the ever loving hell out of Zero (even though Trigger is the reason I bought the game).  In Smash, Yoshi wins out as a matter of personal favoritism, though in general the mobile characters seem easier for me to pick up (even if I do enjoy the occasional high-powered Ike romp).  Yeah, I fell in love with Marth in Melee as much as the next gamer.

Speed isn't always everything, though.  Sometimes, it doesn't matter if you take half a year to walk across the stage, when your character's power is so insane as to utterly decimate them.  Case in point:

(Godzilla Unleashed, Wii, for those unaware)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
If that's the case, I can recall the rather poorly put-together Tom and Jerry brawler.. AKA: War of the Whiskers. Oh god, I remember that it was too much item support since Tom, of all characters, is too damn weak compared to others in hand-to-hand combat. Jerry is obviously a bit too hard to hit due to the mere seconds it takes for him to trek from one screen to another.  8D

A personal favorite is Ryu. Balanced, Simple, and Manuverability is what I like in a character, yep.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Sigma Zero X

• Cool Mirage Diver
  • Robot Master
  • "Here We Go!"
    • View Profile
    • Sigma Zero X's Mega Man X Videos
My number 1 favorite fighting game character is Casshern in the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom games.  He has the power, defense, and a decent dash.  His moves and normals are not too exceptional, but they lead great damage when done properly, especially the Denko Punch. Friender Call. and Brutal Ax.  Casshern reminds me of X in the Neutral Armor in terms of looks (and I like the white boots on both Neutral Armor X and Casshern) and Zero in terms of focusing on close-range combat (although Casshern uses bare hands and uses Friender for covering purposes.)  Because of his abilities and resources, Casshern's fighting styles fit well with my balanced fighting gameplay style, with his appearance making the fighting more worth it.  

Another one of my favorite fighters is Iori Yagami from the King of Fighters games.  He has the best standing and crouching hard kicks ever.  He is so beastly during combos.  It also helped that he had awesome moves such as Yami Barai, Oniyaki, and Aoi Hana.  

Chizuru Kagura is also a favorite fighter for me.  I like her normals and her ability to seal her opponent's special and super moves when her sealing punch DM connects with Chizuru unharmed.  The clone attacks aren't the most effective things in the world, but they help close the gap if necessary.  

Finally, I like the boss team in the King of Fighters 96 and King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match.  Geese, Krauser, and Mr. Big has offensive and defensive capabilities that makes a boss a boss (normal attacks, special moves, supers, charisma, ect.)  

"Well.  This is just delightful!" - Marino, from Mega Man X Command Mission

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
I always gravitate toward rush down characters. The Makoto example is a perfect one for me. I'm open to grapplers as well. My favorite team in TvC was Zero/Alex. But really, I'll play anyone that isn't incredibly technical. There are sometimes exceptions, like in BlazBlue I'll dabble with Arakune and Rachel a little bit, but you'll never catch me dead playing as Carl. And then there are those that just don't fit into a particular character class, but I love playing as nonetheless. Tron for example is my main team's anchor in MvC3.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Hmm... well, depends on the game. I like speedy characters in general for the most part, but I also like to play mind games with people.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
but you'll never catch me dead playing as Carl.

Heh, he's fun to play. Gotta love the clap loop, but yeah, too complicated to use seriously x__X

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
I've been using Roll since MvC1. God I love how abusable the charge shot was, if only the moveset was kept in TvC, that would've been a blast, spammin' the buster all over again. FEAR. IT.

God, another favorite has to be Felecia with her spindash move, plus in Darkstalkers I can just chip HP off the opposition in Chaos Tower, just by being ON the foe. And I've been using her since MvC1 too. XD

Another would have to be Jin from Tekken 6: Arcade Edition. Man I loved pummling them with fists while playing my first Tekken.. Evah. And others? you know the drill. I'd hope NIS would release a Disgea brawler since they already have a platformer starring an exploding bird sometime soon.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
I've been using Roll since MvC1. God I love how abusable the charge shot was, if only the moveset was kept in TvC, that would've been a blast, spammin' the buster all over again. FEAR. IT.

God no, I like my actually decent Roll and her almighty broom of doom instead of "worst character in the game" Roll thank you.

Also, Felicia was in MvC1? When did that happen?

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database

Always been a favorite of mine.  I started out using Ryu when I first played Street Fighter, but I came to appreciate Ken's sense of style.  He's got the basic moves and is great for learning the game's engine well, but his moves have their own style to them and are more geared towards multi-hitting while Ryu gets to the point faster.  Also, Shippu-Jinrai-Kyaku is still one of my favorite supers of all time.

God no, I like my actually decent Roll and her almighty broom of doom instead of "worst character in the game" Roll thank you.

Ditto.  The only thing Roll had going for her in MvC1 were tick-throw setups and flower spamming at the top of the screen.  Outside of those two things she's severly outclassed and dies just as quickly as Red Venom.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Oh [parasitic bomb], someone mentioned Darkstalkers and now I have to mention that Hsien-Ko/Leilei is just so much fun to play as. Ranged rush down is something too heavily ingrained into my head from years of Smash Bros as Luigi/Falcon in SSB then Marth in SSB:Melee onward, so I found her to be one of the easiest characters to jump in and play as. The crazy part is, she seems to be a lot better for zoning purposes but I still continue to "do it wrong" and do well regardless. It kinda reminds me of how much I love playing as Lucas in Brawl even if his tool set should be used for more keep-away antics.

Too bad they literally forgot or purposely dropped everything that made her viable, let alone awesome from DS2/3 for her MvC3 appearance. Why she doesn't have momentum off her dashes anymore is beyond me. :(

Morrigan is another one that's slowly starting to grow on me. Mainly for Astral Vision shenanigans and well because it's Morrigan. XD

Which brings me to an interesting point that I brought up with Acid once over AIM. Anyone here notice that they gravitate more towards playing as guys or girls in fighting games? I fall into the latter, especially when it comes to traditional fighters. Chun Li, Ibuki, Makoto, Elena, Morrigan, B.B. Hood & Hsien-Ko pretty much dominate my selections in SF/DS respectively versus Ryu, Ken, Yun, Donovan & Demitri (though in the case of the Darkstalkers here, I think it's because I haven't gotten in depth with them versus the amount of time I've given 3rd Strike). Their play styles just jive with me better, but I still find it interesting to see that happen with me.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page

Also, Felicia was in MvC1? When did that happen?

Well, she had this:

The only thing Roll had going for her in MvC1 were tick-throw setups and flower spamming at the top of the screen.  Outside of those two things she's severly outclassed and dies just as quickly as Red Venom.

It was quite foolish of me, but that was the Roll I stuck with with since MvC1. Yeah. >.>

Also, whoops. I forgot that Felecia wasn't in MvC1, but damn the MvC series has a huge cast of characters I lost track. Yeah, let's go with that.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Which brings me to an interesting point that I brought up with Acid once over AIM. Anyone here notice that they gravitate more towards playing as guys or girls in fighting games? I fall into the latter, especially when it comes to traditional fighters. Chun Li, Ibuki, Makoto, Elena, Morrigan, B.B. Hood & Hsien-Ko pretty much dominate my selections in SF/DS respectively versus Ryu, Ken, Yun, Donovan & Demitri (though in the case of the Darkstalkers here, I think it's because I haven't gotten in depth with them versus the amount of time I've given 3rd Strike). Their play styles just jive with me better, but I still find it interesting to see that happen with me.

I do not discriminate. I'll play man or woman or whatever as long as their playstyle feels right.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile

Either or. It's more about the moveset & play style more than anything else.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Same here to both of you, I just find it cool that with SF, there are so many play styles that I like with female characters representing them.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Well two of my best characters are females, being Fei-Yen Kn and Jun the Swan. Oh, and Rouge in Power Stone. Peach & Zelda in Brawl.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Well Brawl I'll play as three of the four girls no problem (I don't play Ice Climbers). Game's a sausagefest. Actually, now that I think about it, I'll play as pretty much any girl in SSFIV except Viper for whatever reason. I'm not too big on playing as Rose either, but I'll pick her once in a blue moon. And I would play Ibuki more, but those subtle little changes from 3rd Strike to SSFIV throw me off.

And I actually will play as any girl in BlazBlue. But again I don't really know much for anyone aside from Makoto, Tusbaki, and CT Litchi.

Guilty Gear, though, I do not play as A.B.A, Jam, I-no, and even though she's my favorite character, Dizzy. If I played that game seriously, I would main Millia.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
I am not that good at fighting games but Scorpion is one the characters that I find easy to use. Even if I am not good with Sagat or Guile but seeing them in action makes warm and fuzzy on the inside.  :3