Portal 2: Time to have fun with science.

Psycho Yuffie · 2639

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
on: May 03, 2011, 12:49:56 AM
For those of you who, unfortunately, may not know, Portal was a game released by Valve in 2008. While it is technically a FPS, there is only one "gun" in the game, and that's a Portal Gun. The game is purely puzzle in nature. The star of the game is a woman named Chell, who has the misfortune of being a human lab rat for a company called Aperature Science. Still, for a science company, one has to wonder where all the scientists are... Well, you'll just have to play the game to discover that for yourself. If you haven't yet played Portal, it's only $10 on Steam. It's more than worth it.

Portal 2 takes place many years after the first. Chell wakes up in a Long-term Relaxation Chamber to find that the complex has become invaded by nature. The complex still manages to barely function as intended. GLADOS is also once again awake and she is not happy to see you at all. The puzzles are bigger and harder than ever before. The game is full of bonuses and Easter Eggs just waiting to be found. It also has a full-lengthed co-op campaign with its own story, starring two quirky robots.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 01:12:26 AM
This game is one of the reasons I just can't wait for finals to be over. It's just right there in my room, mocking me that I'm unable to play it D:

Got the 360 version btw (no PS3/no decent PC), so if anyone wants to co-op sometime send me a message.

Oh yeah, and I swear that if one of you guys spoil me more than I already accidentally spoiled myself I'lll hate you forever >.>

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 01:13:35 AM
Yeah, the game is awesome. PC version all the way.

Not sure how many people this will reach here, mind you.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:17:22 AM
Beat the Single Player the day after I bought it.

Sadly haven't got a chance to Co-op yet.

Also, Portal 2 felt easier than Portal 1.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 01:34:35 AM
Got the 1st one some time ago on that day (week?) it was free on Steam. Good fun. Took me a while to beat because I'm a stupid twat like that.

My friend in Boston bought me a copy of Portal 2 about a week ago... along with a PS3 to play it on. The game arrived already but Best Buy keeps dicking around with the console itself and managed to mix up the shipping and billing addresses. Worst comes to worst I'll just use the code that comes with it to get the PC version (but it'll probably run at maybe 20fps on my current machine).

Watched some videos of the co-op though. I'm definitely looking forward to messing around and constantly getting my teammate killed.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 05:32:24 AM
Also, Portal 2 felt easier than Portal 1.
Only because it requires less twitch. I assume this is mainly so that they can accommodate the console players this time. Otherwise, the amount of time to actually figure out the puzzles is about the same (if not more complicated in a few select places). It makes the game more accessible overall, which probably works in it's favour being a puzzle game at heart. A puzzle game with awesome writing overall, at that.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 08:48:12 AM
I got my copy of Portal 2 on Saturday because Game Stop was having a $20 off weekend on it. I managed to get the last copy. It sold out really fast. The same day, I went over to a friend's house and we beat the co-op campaign together. Co-op as actually a lot of fun. It was interesting figuring things out with someone else.

Tonight, I just beat the single player campaign. The story was pretty good. The ending seemed fairly final, but Valve already announced Portal 3.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 03:01:29 PM
I had gotten recently (like few days ago) a Steam account because my certain e-friend insisted on it.
So yesterday I download Portal 1: First Slice... you know the "Super generous" demo version.
I like it, I would have liked it more if it didn't suddenly crash after 26 minutes of playing. : /

I might buy the full version and Portal 2... once I have money again.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 08:58:54 PM
The dynamic between Chell and GLaDOS was really interesting in Portal 2. There are a lot of clues to who GLaDOS is and where she came from in this game, as well as Chell. Chell's clues are a lot more subtle and most can only be found through Easter Eggs or knowing other languages--such as Italian.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 02:47:15 AM
Well, found the time today to finish the single player, really wish I hadn't got the plot twist in the middle of it spoiled though. The only thing I have to say about the ending is SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE 8)

Chell's clues are a lot more subtle and most can only be found through Easter Eggs or knowing other languages--such as Italian.

Really? What would that last part be?

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 04:25:28 AM
Really? What would that last part be?
The opera at the end of the game.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 04:28:21 AM
What's it say though?

Only clue for Chell's past I knew about was
[spoiler]the potato exhibit for the "bring your daughter to work" day science fair thing saying "by Chell"[/spoiler]

and even then I missed that myself >.>

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 04:34:15 AM
What's it say though?

Only clue for Chell's past I knew about was
[spoiler]the potato exhibit for the "bring your daughter to work" day science fair thing saying "by Chell"[/spoiler]

and even then I missed that myself >.>
Not sure how you missed it. You walk right passed it. oo;

Anyway, the opera is in Italian, but people have translated it to English.

[spoiler]The opera is GLaDOS saying good-bye to Chell and referring to her as "my child."[/spoiler]

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 05:01:27 AM
Not sure how you missed it. You walk right passed it. oo;

It was dark and I missed that corner of the exhibition >.>

Got a full translation for the song btw?

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 06:35:07 PM
I'm playing the PC version, but I'm willing to support Valve and actually buy the Xbox 360 if I ever get chance. So the puzzle aren't too hard for me; some of them I got through kinda easily from what I learned playing the first Portal. I'm liking how it feels like there's more a story to it now compared to the first game since there's some actual character interactions in Portal 2. GlaDOS hasn't lost her touch in coming up with put-downs.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 12:03:06 PM
It was dark and I missed that corner of the exhibition >.>

Got a full translation for the song btw?
[spoiler]My dear,
beautiful darling,
my child that I admire.
To my dear, farewell!
My dear girl,
why not walk far away from science?
My dear, dear girl.
To my lovely.
To my dear.
To my dear.
To my child,
my dear,
dear to me![/spoiler]

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 03:40:05 AM
I've OBTAINED this game (as in, the second one)... and HOLY [parasitic bomb] IS IT AMAZING.
[spoiler]I [tornado fang]ing did not expect Mr. Moronball to go all evil maniac on me[/spoiler]

Also, currently on chapter 7... once I have money again and the price on the boxed/retail/whatever version drops here in Pololand... I'M SO BUYING THIS.
Also, with this said, I'm outta here as to not get myself spoilered. : P