Mega Man Legends 3 Prototype version officially announced!

Turian · 65521

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #75 on: April 23, 2011, 03:06:29 AM
I want to find time to write a big post, explaining why Mega Man Legends is a great series, so it can motivate people (and Capcom) to support the release of this game. x.x

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: April 23, 2011, 03:39:57 AM
 *o* I'll be looking forward to that!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: April 23, 2011, 04:08:46 AM
Or maybe they haven't gone mad, in a sense--they just found a way to cancel Mr. Inafune's other big project while making it look like they still want to give it a chance. And if it doesn't sell well enough, they can rub it in.
Except if it doesnt sell well, but still gets enough support to be greenlit and released, the joke will be on them, considering didnt Inafune plan this to be the end of the Legends series..?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #78 on: April 23, 2011, 04:13:24 AM
...where in the blue hell did you hear that?

Besides, if X5 didn't make it clear enough, nobody gives a damn when Inafune wants to end a series (and with good reason, given that he defines "finality" as "kill the popular supporting character").

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: April 23, 2011, 04:19:38 AM
Except if it doesnt sell well, but still gets enough support to be greenlit and released, the joke will be on them,

I thought Capcom made it perfectly clear: Not enough sales, no game.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: April 23, 2011, 04:34:07 AM
I think he meant if for some reason the prototype sells well and the final game doesn't.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: April 23, 2011, 04:50:01 AM
oh. derp.

But the final game not selling well would be disastrous in the long (or even short) run.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: April 23, 2011, 04:55:04 AM
Well I could have sworn I heard that somewhere... From Inafune or something. I recall something being said about it being a 'conclusion"

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: April 23, 2011, 05:02:11 AM
Assuming he did say that, it could easily have meant simply tying up the loose ends that L2 left.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: April 23, 2011, 06:56:10 AM
That might have been it.

Offline kosmos

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: April 23, 2011, 10:58:29 AM
Capcom it's getting more lame every year with the pay downloads. As a Mega Man fan it's not a big deal to pay $2 or $5 because doing it not only I will enjoy some time the prototype but also I will help my favourite game series but it's a stupid thing to think "normal" people will pay for it.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: April 25, 2011, 04:30:40 AM
I dont even have a 3DS, and I was planning on getting one eventually, maybe a year or two down the road. And I was not planning on rushing out to buy one anytime soon just for the demo.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: April 25, 2011, 10:49:06 PM
Capcom it's getting more lame every year with the pay downloads. As a Mega Man fan it's not a big deal to pay $2 or $5 because doing it not only I will enjoy some time the prototype but also I will help my favourite game series but it's a stupid thing to think "normal" people will pay for it.

This is especially true if they label it a PROTOYPE or a DEMO. Normal people will go; "pay for a demo?! screw you!!"

This whole thing is a terrible idea in itself.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: April 25, 2011, 11:16:28 PM
Well like we've already established. Capcom is HOPING it will fail so they can rid themselves of Inafune's projects. There's no other sane explanation, or their top staff is totally just plain stupid.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: April 25, 2011, 11:46:13 PM
This is especially true if they label it a PROTOYPE or a DEMO. Normal people will go; "pay for a demo?! screw you!!"

This whole thing is a terrible idea in itself.

I think it's more of a "if people pay for this, they must truly care for the future of this series" approach, thus greenliting. Instead of downloading it just because it's free and taking advantage. I have a habit of downloading most free demos on PSN just because it's available. Though i do still agree that Capcom's being half assed about this.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: April 26, 2011, 01:49:31 AM
I think it's more of a "if people pay for this, they must truly care for the future of this series" approach, thus greenliting.

On a system that hasn't been selling that well customer-wise? There had better be a good, non-doucebaggy reason for why Capcom can't just wait until the library expands by 200%.

By the way, MML3 (or at least the demo) might be at E3: http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/2011/04/unconfirmed-mega-man-legends-3-at-e3.html

I don't think this will guarantee more sales, and the contradiction between "[tornado fang] MML3, let's deliberately doom it" and "let's bring it to E3 where people can look at it" is odd, but if this ends up saving MML3 (for the time being...), all the better.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: April 26, 2011, 03:22:36 AM
The "deliberately doom it" scenario sounds to me like an internet-fueled overreaction, but that's just my opinion.  I read it, and I remember the Metroid Other M bitchery about how Team Ninja was killing Samus through sexist stereotypes.

What happened the last time a Legends-series demo came out, anyone?  Yeah, that's right, it contained original content that remained JAPAN-EXCLUSIVE.  I consider us fortunate as hell that the opportunity to pick it up even exists, much less that it'll be available over Wifi as opposed to some E3-exclusive kiosk that maybe 0.001% of the potential audience will have access to.

And I've said this before in other threads, and I'll say it again:  I'm sad to see MMU cancelled, but not THAT sad.  The fact that the previous two Classic-series games harken to 2 as the series holy grail dampens the impact of a rebranded console-based Power Up 2, and I'm more than a little sick of Classic-series games not allowing you to slide.

I think it's more of a "if people pay for this, they must truly care for the future of this series" approach, thus greenliting. Instead of downloading it just because it's free and taking advantage. I have a habit of downloading most free demos on PSN just because it's available.
It's a valid point.  I downloaded Flipnote Studio for the full and sole reason that it was free.

Remember, this is Nintendo's shops we're talking about; $2 is the value they put on a Goddamn clock.  On a system that A. ALREADY HAS A CLOCK, and B. you would NEVER leave open when not in use in the first place.

It's a name game, and anyone who's been in sales for a month if even that will tell you that it's a valid tactic.  "Prototype" and "demo" may mean the same thing to the free-thinking minority, but the mass of consumers think differently.  "Demo" is a freebie trial.  "Prototype" is some forbidden fruit that would ordinarilly stay behind closed doors.  Hence, the game is called "prototype version".

*wink, wink*

Going along with this is the fact that it includes debug features as an unlockable.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: April 26, 2011, 03:47:33 AM
It does?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: April 26, 2011, 04:09:30 AM
 -AC
Is it too much to ask that people actually know what they're bitching about?
...nevermind, stupid question.

...once you have finished the core missions, receive access to areas of the game not yet finished, as well as a debug menu that gives you special moves and abilities.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/devroom/blog/2011/04/21/mega_man_legends_3:_prototype_version

So once you're done with the game, you earn the "developer's right" to break it.  Works for me.

Offline Wanda Bear

• The Wanderess of RPM
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Currently Nowhere.
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: April 26, 2011, 04:24:59 AM
What? Megaman MINECRAFT Legends?! xD

Home sweet home

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: April 26, 2011, 07:10:35 AM
Mineman Legends?

BTW, for the record- Im not complaining about the 2$, just the stoopid move of "greenlight only if prototype sales = good even though its  a brand new system not everybody owns yet"

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: April 26, 2011, 02:57:41 PM
Regardless, prototype still carries the stigma of "unfinished" "not a full product" "glitchy".

Perhaps "First Episode" or "Episode 1" would be a far better title. Most people browsing through the shop wont bother to see the details if they're turned off by the title. Whether it has debug features or not, they may never know as they pass up the listing/article. This assumes they actually care about debug or unfinished areas. Some of us think "oh cool prototype" but not many outside of the hardcore fans would actually PAY for those, even a small amount. Most normal people think "oh well it's not the whole game, so why should I be paying?"

For what the misguided big wigs of Capcom are trying to accomplish by this asinine ploy, it's completely counter intuitive.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: April 26, 2011, 03:26:09 PM
It isn't a conventional demo like DASH2 Episode 1, no matter how you consider it. Not your usual "Not a full product" either, but an insight into development and actually intending the debug features for eventual use by the end-user, make it that little something that stands out. Sandboxing is a trend, but it delivers on the headline so far: the fact that this is indeed the players' (and the fans') game, so why not?

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: April 26, 2011, 03:28:47 PM
You know that, I know that, but outside of that? The general gaming population will likely not be following it that close, or perhaps not even care.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: April 26, 2011, 03:36:46 PM
Being a launch title on eShop is probably the smartest move it'll get for the moment.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations