360 Breaking Discs

TheDivine · 2283

Offline TheDivine

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
on: February 21, 2011, 08:29:53 PM
Has anyone else experienced this issue? My 360 is cracking my game discs, starting in the center and steadily working it's way out. It's happened with a couple of games before and most recently, Marvel vs Capcom 3.

I called up Microsoft and they told me the only way that's possible is if I was moving the system around while it was in use. I don't know about you guys, but I don't juggle my 360 while I'm playin' games on it. I've also been told I can send it to them and they'll see if anything is wrong with it and fix it if there is, send it back if there isn't, at a cost of over 100 dollars. That's not gonna fly with me.

Currently emailing them, as I sent about 15 emails out to everything Microsoft related and got a response back asking to describe the issue and explain what remedy I am seeking. Explained the problem as best I could and asked them to replace the system at no cost to me.

Still waiting on a response, but depending on how this goes I might be selling all this [parasitic bomb], eating the cost and getting a PS3. This is the second time I've had an issue with this system, first time it was the RRoD.

Google searched and apparently this is a common issue that Microsoft refuses to admit to.

Just curious if anyone here has had this happen.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 08:36:26 PM
I've never had this happen before. Is this with the older models or the newer ones?

Offline TheDivine

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:37:18 PM
It's pretty old, I got this thing in '07.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:57:44 PM
Also I might recommend going to a indy or not well known game shop that offers to do repairs instead.  It'll be much faster and it'll probably cheaper.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:13:05 PM
This hasn't happened to me yet but I install every single game, so the only time it's actually moving is when going to the main menu or when I boot up the game and then it jus checks and stops.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:21:19 PM
Well I had to get a newer system cause the older one began overheating. But yeah, for now I'd do what Cephi suggested. Or maybe see about trading yours in for a much better made newer 360 model.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:46:07 PM
The laser that reads the discs is powerful, as you can see. Usually the only way it damages the discs is if you moved it. You should really stop juggling the console while you're playing the game. I've had mine fallen over and it scratch up the disc, making a ring around it, thus rendering it unreadable.

See which is cheaper - getting it repaired or getting a new/used system.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 08:27:27 AM
I've heard about this. It seems to be a bigger issue in older models of the system. Apparently the newer ones are manufactured better, but I take this info with a very large grain of salt to be perfectly honest.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14:31 PM
So far, nothing like that has happened to me yet. I have the newer and slimmer 250GB model for almost 2 months now and my game discs are unscratched. Plus, I only use the wireless controller (unless the batteries runs out, then I have to resort using the corded controller from my older brother's old Xbox 360) and I never moved my Xbox 360 at all since I set it up on last Christmas.

Could it be the positioning of the hardware? Mine is set to horizontal. :\

Offline TheDivine

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:29 PM
I've heard about this. It seems to be a bigger issue in older models of the system.

Microsoft has formally addressed the public in regards to alleged claims of disc damage caused by the Xbox 360 console. Our engineers have performed thousands of tests on all generations of Xbox 360 consoles and have been unable to reproduce scratching without movement or vibration of the console. The discs are spinning at very high speeds thus it is imperative that proper care be provided while the device is in motion.

That's the response I got. Dude is going to call me tomorrow and we're going to have words.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 11:50:26 PM
Has anyone else experienced this issue? My 360 is cracking my game discs, most recently, Marvel vs Capcom 3.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! THOSE MONSTERS  O:<

Offline TheDivine

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 12:00:10 AM
He called back, and my friend is talking to him now. Which is actually pretty hilarious because he's being a total dick to the dude, but in an awesome passive aggressive kind of way that only us Canadians can pull off.

"Your warranty is up, so we can fix it for $110"
"Well I mean, I know a guy who can fix it for 25$, and not for a quarter of the price of a brand new console."

Now the guy is stuttering his ass off and talking about some modding bullshit and how it's not legal.

And at the end of the day, not a God damn thing. Thanks for nothing, Microsoft. I love your useless tech support. He says he's gonna talk to the execs and present the call.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 07:13:30 PM
Divine, is your system horizontal or vertical?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline TheDivine

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:53:12 PM
Horizontal.