Easy Mode Mockery why?

Waifu · 11754

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: February 08, 2011, 04:53:25 AM
Why does anyone who play the game on easy mode gets mocked mercilessly by the game and the creators? Not all of us are challenge gamers who play the game 7000 hrs to get this prize. Why do they always do this?

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 05:03:22 AM
Earthworm Jim is worth playing on Easy mode though.
You get mocked, but it's entertaining.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:13:07 AM
Because someone coined the meme.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 07:46:05 AM
there is a way to solve this.

Just give them a looooooooooooooooong hard look, and just say, "Least i'll get better over time :)" and walk away, strutting that butt of yours, mocking THEM instead.

or just well, not care.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:12:32 AM

This thread begs for it.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 09:21:46 AM
Normal is the only mode to start on... unless you're five years old. Otherwise, the A.I. is set to a level that's just standing around with maybe a rare attack here or there, or some other idiotic changes.

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 10:50:06 AM
What's wrong with easy mode mockery~? If you can't take the challenge of the game then can't you at least take being made fun of for not being able to take the challenge of the game? =w=

Aresian

Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 11:05:14 AM
Typical.

Honestly, as a person that used to be of the "hardcore" gaming community (the name has since changed, around the time of the PS2... or maybe it was the PSX. Who knows.) I was one who never played easy mode. I generally don't now unless it is to test a game. I never play Easy Mode on Touhou either. In fact, only Lunatic on those games.

However, that aside... I don't think there is anything wrong in the least, of playing on the easier difficulties. Gaming is about one thing: Whatever derives the most enjoyment for the player.

Regardless if that is playing it for the story, trying to go for the teabag achievement or whatever other myriad of reasons a person can come up with. The whole "No wrong way to eat a reeses" comes to mind, really. I guess this is where I get "strict" as it were and just frown at the rest.

This thread begs for it.

Part of the problem really. *shrugs*

Normal is the only mode to start on... unless you're five years old. Otherwise, the A.I. is set to a level that's just standing around with maybe a rare attack here or there, or some other idiotic changes.

Not necessarily. What may apply to you as what one calls opinion may not coincide with another person's opinion.

Kinda like asses, everyone has them and they all stink.

And no, yours does not smell particularly like roses. I don't care how deluded you might be.

What's wrong with easy mode mockery~? If you can't take the challenge of the game then can't you at least take being made fun of for not being able to take the challenge of the game? =w=

Honestly? Is that even necessary? Should I make fun of you for instance, not being able to avoid being spawn camped by a rather professional team in a game of "insert random FPS" here? (Regardless if you can or not, I really don't know you. Or care.)

I dunno... I kinda agree with the OP. It's unnecessary. But, ya know... I know how everyone is SOOOO in dire need of their "humor" and all that. We couldn't be assed into consideration of necessity.

Well, whatever, I said my peace.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:10:45 AM
Nothing wrong with Easy Mode.

Except in MM10, in which the only reason to do it is for In-Game achievements & humor reasons. I said it before and I'll say it again: If you die in MM10's Easy Mode for ANY other reason than just "slip of the finger falling into pit" then just put down the controller and never play another video game again!

Aresian

Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:16:08 AM
Nothing wrong with Easy Mode.

Except in MM10, in which the only reason to do it is for In-Game achievements & humor reasons. I said it before and I'll say it again: If you die in MM10's Easy Mode for ANY other reason than just "slip of the finger falling into pit" then just put down the controller and never play another video game again!

Actually, again I disagree. I agree with everything in your post except one thing. Not everyone is good at platforming. Some people have such bad depth perception that 2D platforming is difficult.

In that regard, this can't apply to every type of gamer. Some gamers can't platform to save their life, but they can dominate any RPG, or they have mad skills in Guitar Hero, or whatever.

*shrugs* Just Saiyan.

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 11:16:54 AM
Honestly? Is that even necessary? Should I make fun of you for instance, not being able to avoid being spawn camped by a rather professional team in a game of "insert random FPS" here? (Regardless if you can or not, I really don't know you. Or care.)

Wait I thought we were talking about easy mode mockery here, not just being made fun of for being a bad player >O

┐( ̄~ ̄; )┌ If the game wants to make fun of you and you don't find it funny then maybe you're just too serious for the game~~ It's not like I don't ever play anything in easy mode.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:21:05 AM
Actually, again I disagree. I agree with everything in your post except one thing. Not everyone is good at platforming. Some people have such bad depth perception that 2D platforming is difficult.

In that regard, this can't apply to every type of gamer. Some gamers can't platform to save their life, but they can dominate any RPG, or they have mad skills in Guitar Hero, or whatever.

*shrugs* Just Saiyan.

I don't know if you've played MM10 on Easy Mode, but it's absolutely [tornado fang]ing shameful, to the point where it literally removes pretty much every single spike in the game, covers just about every pit, and makes the bosses so absolutely pitifully weak that the game has literally 0% challenge to it. If you're not playing a game to be challenged, why play at all? Maybe you could argue the story, but lets be real here, this is Classic MegaMan. Overall, the game is SO easy that if one sucks at platforming that much in order to resort to MM10's Easy Mode, then they shouldn't be platforming at all.

Aresian

Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:24:39 AM
Wait I thought we were talking about easy mode mockery here, not just being made fun of for being a bad player >O

┐( ̄~ ̄; )┌ If the game wants to make fun of you and you don't find it funny then maybe you're just too serious for the game~~ It's not like I don't ever play anything in easy mode.

Huh. True enough. Still, I feel the same way about it.

I guess I kinda covered both the topic and my own thoughts in my post. And well... I still don't think it's cool, really. But then, I'm just not a humorous person. I'm very serious, except for on RPM, most of the time.

Unless I am. Right now I am.

What if the person honestly doesn't have the reflexes for that kind of level of playability? Should they be mocked by what could've been their favorite game?

To go even further... what if they have a physical or mental disability that prevents them from being "that good" but also makes them more likely to take it to heart?

Oh the possibilities.

I don't know if you've played MM10 on Easy Mode, but it's absolutely [tornado fang]ing shameful, to the point where it literally removes pretty much every single spike in the game, covers just about every pit, and makes the bosses so absolutely pitifully weak that the game has literally 0% challenge to it. If you're not playing a game to be challenged, why play at all? Maybe you could argue the story, but lets be real here, this is Classic MegaMan. Overall, the game is SO easy that if one sucks at platforming that much in order to resort to MM10's Easy Mode, then they shouldn't be platforming at all.

I will admit to having not done so, but I also leave room for the possibility. After all, Mrs. Ares isn't a platformer. She has never beaten a single Megaman game herself, at least to my knowledge.

And well, maybe the person wants to play it to hear the music. I've actually picked up a megaman game after beating it before just to listen to all the stage music over again. Easy mode would make that access easier. And yes, let us forget the whole "we got netz, bitches" thing. Even if basically everyone does.

I won't deny the game is probably easy as hell on easy... which is the intent really. *shrugs* It could be good for those who suck at platforming or just really need the practice. Somewhere to start, as it were.

Again, I cannot say from experience, but it doesn't knock my point out completely either.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 11:37:08 AM
I will admit to having not done so, but I also leave room for the possibility. After all, Mrs. Ares isn't a platformer. She has never beaten a single Megaman game herself, at least to my knowledge.

And well, maybe the person wants to play it to hear the music. I've actually picked up a megaman game after beating it before just to listen to all the stage music over again. Easy mode would make that access easier. And yes, let us forget the whole "we got netz, bitches" thing. Even if basically everyone does.

I won't deny the game is probably easy as hell on easy... which is the intent really. *shrugs* It could be good for those who suck at platforming or just really need the practice. Somewhere to start, as it were.

Again, I cannot say from experience, but it doesn't knock my point out completely either.

Let me put it to you this way: I agree that in most games Easy Mode is a good way for people who haven't played a certain genre of game, or perhaps younger gamers, to get a feel for what they are getting into and such. There is still some level of challenge to it, and just enough difficulty to let a gamer make mistakes, learn from them, practice, and grow. Like you said, somewhere to start.

MM10 Easy Mode offers none of that. There is no challenge to it, no difficulty, no learning, and really no mistakes to be made other than accidentally falling into a pit because your fingers slipped on the controller. MM10 Easy Mode will in NO way prepare them for MM10 Normal Mode. It will not help anyone improve at classic MM platforming in any way. The most it will do is show them the level layout, but literally that's it, which won't help them because now those spikes & pits will no longer be covered, more enemies will be on the screen, you won't just take a single point of damage from everything, and the bosses will have their patterns and strengths back and not take double damage.

And I will agree that the music is a good reason to play this game. However, if you don't have a net connection, you can't play the game anyway sadly.

Aresian

Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 11:44:36 AM
Hmm. I'll take all of this into account, because I am curious. I'm gonna do a run through easy sometime real soon and then play again on Normal for comparison sake. Given well... I honestly can't argue unless I do, ya know? XD Also, gonna make the missus play it too on Easy to see.

On that regard, I've said everything else that was needed to be said. I'm gonna go lay down, since meds and all that are telling me to. sleepy sheepy.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 11:48:31 AM
LoL, oh and I forgot about the shameful surplus of health. See our RPM tab logo? You'll be seeing a lot of those! Good luck! XD

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 01:42:50 PM
You know, you can't claim that you 100%ed a game if you never touched easy mode, right?

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 02:30:17 PM
You know, you can't claim that you 100%ed a game if you never touched easy mode, right?

Good point.

I never understood the mentality behind this. "Oh great, as if Normal wasn't horribly cheap and biased in favour of my enemies, now the game's calling me a putz for trying to get farther in Easy."

(Wasn't the NA version of Streets of Rage 3 something like that?)

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 03:57:25 PM
I always thought it was tongue-in-cheek.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 04:01:15 PM
MM10's easy mode was so pathetic that I had to run through it helmet-less in an attempt to get some sort of challenge from it.  Thing is, if you're buying items constantly you shouldn't even have the issue of accidentally falling into a pit, since Beat/Treble will be right there to get you out (sorry Blues).  Between the covered pits and spikes, the bosses getting easier, and the Yashichi spread around like nobodies business, the game's pretty much impossible to die in.  I literally laughed my way through that mode, especially having played through it on normal beforehand and noticing how much they were cutting out of the game.

A good example of "easy mode" being somewhat challenging would be Viewtiful Joe.  I think Kids Mode is supposed to be the equivalent of easy mode, although it certainly feels like normal.  I still have yet to get past Fire Leo on Adults (and don't get me started on the unlockable difficulties).

Oh, and this thread's begging for this video:
[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8fpLem2-ho[/youtube][/spoiler]

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 04:16:06 PM
Simple Mode Barbatos wants to have a word with you

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgjjq4QjV5I[/youtube]

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 04:59:42 PM
inb4sephiroth

joking.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 08:23:32 PM
I hate myself for ever playing on easy in the past.
Now I always begin the game on normal, even if I know I will suck.
Or, I use easy if I want to see if I'll like the game at all, and if it turns out I do... I'll just restart it on NORMAL.
Then, if I don't lose completely interest after beating it one time... I'll do it again on higher difficulty.

Additionally, I always tell me young padawan nephew that he should NOT be playing on easy, or use [tornado fang]ing cheats. You won't believe how often he wants to cheat in a game.

Ephidiel: Hey, dude. IS THAT GAME IN ENGLISH FINALLY?

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 08:53:31 PM
Its sadly still not translated
and iirc progress was halted too if not abandoned at all

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 10:19:00 PM
Well, easy mode is pathetic in some games, sometimes it's the oppisite due to broken controls. And back in the NES days, the second run was pretty much harder than the previous run, as if it was hard enough.

My use for this mode is practice to get the controls down, if it doesn't exist then Normal. A bit of a challenge I switch to hard. I haven't graduated to "Hardcore Nut" yet to play those rediculously hard games.

If anyone remembers the Super Star Wars trilogy of games, even in the easiest settings do prove to be a challenge.

Also, sometimes easy means "Less enemies, fewer projectiles" and other times is, Slower enemies, no projectiles".

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.