What is it with Capcom and Sequels?

Waifu · 4107

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: December 14, 2010, 02:46:35 AM
It is common knowledge among fans of Capcom games that Capcom sure love their sequels especially if it makes them more money but why does Capcom love their sequels so much? It is not always a bad thing but sometimes I wonder if Capcom is lazy on some games especially with the sprites that more or less look similar on every game. Capcom loves sequels and it may not be limited to Mega Man series or even the company itself but there is always a game every year. What is it with them and sequels anyway?

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 02:55:15 AM
So they have to make a new franchise everytime instead of sequels for famous games?

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:03:09 AM
What's wrong with a company trying to make money? If people keep buying their games it means they are doing a good job.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 03:05:52 AM
Sometimes game sequels can serve a purpose to foward the plot. Something major happens at that point the villan hasn't tried yet, such as Wily busting out of Jail in MM7 and the Viewtiful Joe series to further expand it's creative movie-world.

Plus it's fun to get new challenges every now and then, it'd be boring to fight Chun-Li over and over ceaselessly with an unaltered roaster from SFII.

Plus it will also take the series into new lengths and more more explanation of "how the hell did this happen" in the Resident Evil and other zombie-slayer franchises.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:29:17 AM
It is common knowledge among people who enjoy money that companies sure love their products that guarantee making fucktons of money for them especially if they have many of these products or properties but why do corporations like money so much? It is not always a bad thing, but sometimes I wonder if a company tries to get that [parasitic bomb] out with the sole intent of making fast money (i.e. mad bank), especially when they have flexible easy to impliment resources that don't take more money to develop and can be used across numerous products. Companies love money, and it may not be limited to any single source of it or even the market itself, but there is always an attempt to get more money every year. What is with businesses and money anyway?

8D

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:30:06 AM
Speaking of Viewtiful Joe, im still expecting Viewtiful Joe 3 or Viewtiful Joe: Viewtiful HD Remix.

Hell, we got Legends 3 after 10 years, why not Go for VJ3?

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 03:37:18 AM
I say there should be a sequel to Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:20:06 AM
Needs moar Gargoyle's Quest.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 10:00:12 PM
And a more plentiful Strider game.

Offline ParasiteBirth

• Useless Dweeb
  • A-Class Hunter
  • Some random dweeb
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 10:16:08 PM
Speaking of Viewtiful Joe, im still expecting Viewtiful Joe 3 or Viewtiful Joe: Viewtiful HD Remix.

Hell, we got Legends 3 after 10 years, why not Go for VJ3?

Isn't the Viewtiful Joe guy behind Bayonetta now or something?

Check my YouTube Channel for Challenges, Speed Run videos and more!

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 10:21:44 PM
Honestly, recently I feel like Capcom's slowing down.

We could need some sequels to some REALLY awesome games. But no, Capcom prefers to let them rot in their archives.

Offline ParasiteBirth

• Useless Dweeb
  • A-Class Hunter
  • Some random dweeb
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:23:09 PM
Super Street Fighter : The Movie 2 HD Turbo Super Remix Dark Resurrection Online 2010 EX PLUS Alpha

I'm just so waiting for this.  8D

Honestly want Strider games to come back..

Check my YouTube Channel for Challenges, Speed Run videos and more!

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 11:05:51 PM

We could need some sequels to some REALLY awesome games. But no, Capcom prefers to let them rot in their archives.
We got a damn Bionic Commando sequel like a year ago. Two at once, in fact. That's amazing, and so were the games, so I think they've earned a bit of a respite period...

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 04:35:52 AM

I pretty much agree with this statment there's not really anything big that they're planning right now except Legends 3 and Mavel vs Capcom 3, but honestly I'm not a big fan of Legends and I'm not going to get a PS3 anytime soon.  Nothing they're doing now seems particular exciting but this is how video game companies go especially Capcom, as far as I know.

Anyway it's pretty much what everyone is saying, gaming companies love money and sequels brings money quickly, even if it's not that good, therefore gaming companies love sequels.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 11:59:44 PM
Is Capcom making sequels lazy/uncreative, or is it just the way the gamers want it?  I submit to you Zack & Wiki.

Let's face facts, in these troubled times, when half the developers are so panicked that they're willing to brand used game customers as legal software pirates, is it any surprise that some gamers are reluctant to drop 50/60 bucks on an unfamiliar face?

I see nothing wrong with sequels, anyway.  Legends 3 is the most exciting thing EVER to me.  That said, I look forward to Ghost Trick.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:45:59 PM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)