The "What are you currently playing?" Thread

Saber · 728745

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3850 on: July 07, 2013, 03:13:57 AM
Is it repetitive?  Well, yes, but if that in itself is considered a criticism then there are probably better places to hang on the internet than a Mega Man community...

Repetition can refer to any aspect in a game.

In this case, I don't see how you can compare Mega Man's "repetition" to PxZ's.

In PxZ, the battle controls are: A, Up/Down+A, Right/Left+A, the team L+R shoulder buttons and Y for special attacks. That's fine.

Now, in order to preform 5 of your moves instead of 4, you have to time each one of these (A, Up+A, Left+A, Right+A) all while making sure the enemy doesn't touch the ground. If successful, you can preform your 5th move (Let's say: Up+A), combined with pressing either/both shoulder button (and of course Y, if you have enough XP). RINSE. AND REPEAT.

Oh, and equipping skills or whatever, which I'm sure is extraordinarily simple. What changes are more powerful, flashier moves. But when all said in done, it's still incredibly repetitive.

Now, you said Mega Man games are repetitive; maybe the classic Mega Man games, when the controls, powers and stage layouts were incredibly simple. But I can't say the same for the rest of the franchise.

And even then, not only are the classic games difficult as [parasitic bomb], you need impeccable precision for a ton of those stages. The basic act of "repetition" dictates you to do a motion or routine over and over again. I guess in some ways, those games are repetitive, but you still have to maneuver and time your actions through the stages, find weaknesses as well as various memory-esque puzzles (disappearing/reappearing platforms). One little slip up, and you're dead. It doesn't hold your hand.

PxZ has you standing in one place, mashing the same series of buttons, timing or otherwise, it doesn't make a difference. There's not much of a challenge.

And if multiple bosses on one map are the only things you have to worry about, then that's not really good game design. You just plow right through the enemies like nothing and suddenly the difficulty skyrockets with Boss "counter-attacks"? Sorry, I can't swallow that.

I'd also submit to you that the Game Over screen isn't a terribly common sight in Fire Emblem either; rather the game's perma-death system (optional in Awakening) mandates perfection.

But see, that's another point against PxZ; apparently it's difficult to even lose a teammate. For Awakening, the only way to get Game Over is if your Avatar or Chrom dies.

So theoretically, you could have the remainder of your soldiers charge into enemy territory and have them killed in a blink of an eye. And you still wouldn't get a Game Over. But depending on the weapons you give them, the experience you've grinded with them and avoiding the enemies that they're vulnerable against, can make all the difference between life and death.

That kind of depth can't be found in PxZ.

You said Awakening's perma-death mandates perfection. Well, if PxZ had a perma-death system, you wouldn't have to worry so much anyway, now would you, Shell?

Offline Ageman20XX

• Super Programming Robot
  • Cyberelf
  • Retro Mega Man and Pokémon Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Mega Man RPG Prototype
Reply #3851 on: July 08, 2013, 03:42:11 AM
I downloaded the demo for Project X Zone and I actually really liked it, but I liked it in the pick-up-and-play randomly way where extended play sessions might get exhausting and repetitive (yes, I'm on the it's-kind-of-repetitive side).  It's a game I could play in small doses and enjoy thoroughly - I mean it looks great - but as a full-price game I just can't justify it.  Maybe once it comes used or discounted on the eShop (like that'll ever happen), but for now I'll have to make due with the 3 remaining uses on my demo download.  >_>

As for what I'm playing, I'm finding myself going back and forth between Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.  I'm loving Donkey Kong so far and the only reason I haven't beaten it yet is because the stages are so difficult and long (I haven't played the series in many years so I'm allowed to suck a little... >_>), but that's a good thing and I love how tight the controls are and how beautiful the scenery looks in 3D (even though I have to turn it off a lot to avoid dying).  Luigi's Mansion is fun, and very well done... but I got lost too many times and then just lost interest about 10% through (maybe I just suck as a gamer?!?).  

I anxiously look forward to Pokémon X and Y though - say what you will about the games but they have a very solid battle system with surprisingly deep mechanics, so anything the sequels can do to refine or add to that system are great additions in my books (and all the new characters are pluses too!).  Hopefully this is the generation I can finally get my boyfriend to play with me again - he's been avoiding the series since Diamond/Pearl due to the "poor graphics and animations".  He's such a graphics whore. ;)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3852 on: July 08, 2013, 03:49:15 AM
I downloaded the demo for Project X Zone and I actually really liked it, but I liked it in the pick-up-and-play randomly way where extended play sessions might get exhausting and repetitive (yes, I'm on the it's-kind-of-repetitive side).  It's a game I could play in small doses and enjoy thoroughly - I mean it looks great - but as a full-price game I just can't justify it.  Maybe once it comes used or discounted on the eShop (like that'll ever happen), but for now I'll have to make due with the 3 remaining uses on my demo download.  >_>

You're on a roll today.

That's precisely how I feel about it as well. The game is fun, but not full-price fun. Like you said, the repetition will get exhausting fast for long play sessions.

I don't care how many characters they stuff in there that I love; I don't see the point in getting it when there isn't much depth as a strategy game.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #3853 on: July 10, 2013, 01:11:34 AM
I downloaded the demo for Project X Zone and I actually really liked it, but I liked it in the pick-up-and-play randomly way where extended play sessions might get exhausting and repetitive (yes, I'm on the it's-kind-of-repetitive side).  It's a game I could play in small doses and enjoy thoroughly - I mean it looks great - but as a full-price game I just can't justify it.  Maybe once it comes used or discounted on the eShop (like that'll ever happen), but for now I'll have to make due with the 3 remaining uses on my demo download.  >_>
No harm in that.  Just be sure you don't wait too long.  Them cult classics, after all...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #3854 on: July 10, 2013, 01:23:23 AM
No harm in that.  Just be sure you don't wait too long.  Them cult classics, after all...
I remember when I saw Persona 2 Eternal Punishment for about $300 on Amazon.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #3855 on: July 10, 2013, 01:24:24 AM
I remember when I saw Persona 2 Eternal Punishment for about $300 on Amazon.

The Playstation version? Holy [parasitic bomb]. :o

Though I think the PS1 version is available on the PSN Store so its not that big of a deal.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #3856 on: July 10, 2013, 01:28:34 AM
The Playstation version? Holy [parasitic bomb]. :o

Though I think the PS1 version is available on the PSN Store so its not that big of a deal.
Yeah the Playstation version, worse yet I saw Xenoblade for about $250.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Ageman20XX

• Super Programming Robot
  • Cyberelf
  • Retro Mega Man and Pokémon Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Mega Man RPG Prototype
Reply #3857 on: July 10, 2013, 01:41:10 AM
I wonder how relevant that phenomenon will be now that most games are also available as downloads?  Unless you're a hardcore collector, why would you pay $90 for a physical game that you have to wait for while it comes in the mail when you could just download the digital version immediately at half the price?  Obviously there are a lot of collectors out there already buying these high-priced oldies side-by-side with the just-wanna-have-fun crowd, but I imagine that will start changing soon with ONLY collectors being willing to buy the physical versions.  I could be wrong though!

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #3858 on: July 10, 2013, 01:49:03 AM
Get lucky and find games for cheap or free at yard sales.  My brother made off with a number of Dreamcast games for free after I took him to a place where someone was putting their stuff out for trash pickup.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #3859 on: July 10, 2013, 01:54:17 AM
I wonder how relevant that phenomenon will be now that most games are also available as downloads?  Unless you're a hardcore collector, why would you pay $90 for a physical game that you have to wait for while it comes in the mail when you could just download the digital version immediately at half the price?  Obviously there are a lot of collectors out there already buying these high-priced oldies side-by-side with the just-wanna-have-fun crowd, but I imagine that will start changing soon with ONLY collectors being willing to buy the physical versions.  I could be wrong though!
I imagine a lot of that has to do with whether or not said digital shop is still active.  Servers and digital selection are not eternal, after all.  The same-gen stuff, like the first run of Phoenix Wright on the DS, probably wont happen as often (but it probably will happen, since the digital alternative is not a universal thing).

Then again, every once in a while I see vintage cartridges going for several times their Virtual Console cost...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3860 on: July 10, 2013, 02:02:51 AM
Yeah the Playstation version, worse yet I saw Xenoblade for about $250.

Yeah Xenoblade got screwed by a small run of copies, made worse by being available only at Gamestop.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #3861 on: July 10, 2013, 06:25:39 AM
Get lucky and find games for cheap or free at yard sales.  My brother made off with a number of Dreamcast games for free after I took him to a place where someone was putting their stuff out for trash pickup.
OoOohHhHh, you could get a haaaaunted caaaartridge doing thaaaaat~

You know, if anything I think I will go through with all of these crazy story ideas, like RPM in a creepypasta, the RPM Generations game, etc.

what

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3862 on: July 10, 2013, 06:41:22 AM
Trying to play HL2 EP2, but Gordo's moving like a snail while the rest of the game moves full speed. Sent in a Steam Support ticket this morning.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #3863 on: July 12, 2013, 04:48:22 AM
Welp. Okay. That's it.

I beat the game. (and then went back to do the following)
I made the Ultima Weapon. (with the sweat of my brow)
I beat Sephiroth. (Trinity > Berserk > Trinity > Berzerk > Trinity Finisher like a [Top Spin])
And that's all I came to KHII to do.

Now... there's nothing.

Nothing.

...What's this...empty feeling inside me? :'(
now please buy me rogue galaxy

what

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3864 on: July 12, 2013, 05:50:48 AM
Uh...
wow

Air Force Delta Storm [Classic Xbox]
Medal of Honor: Frontlines [Classic Xbox]
Portal [PC]
Half-Life Deathmatch: Source [PC]
Half-Life 2 Deathmatch [PC]

Nothing new to play on the Wii 'til I can get my hands on the Project Rainfall games and I'm not playing any of the higher-end games like Portal 2 while I'm using a [parasitic bomb] computer. And I still need to find a decently priced 3DS.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3865 on: July 12, 2013, 06:21:22 AM
i had AssCreed Liberation sitting in my Vita for about 5 months but it's a boring piece of [parasitic bomb] so I went back to maybe finish Uncharted Golden Abyss. Really liking it but holy [parasitic bomb] it feels long. Still not caught up to the flash forward used in the intro level.

also trying to finish Pyschonauts after just suddenly forgetting about it. On the final level and it's pretty obnoxious. Also one of the characters introduced late in the game has literally the most goddamn annoying voice I have heard in my entire life. I cannot adequately express my distaste for its stupidly high pitched whining tone and the grating it puts on the ears.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3866 on: July 12, 2013, 06:40:27 AM
also trying to finish Pyschonauts after just suddenly forgetting about it. On the final level and it's pretty obnoxious. Also one of the characters introduced late in the game has literally the most goddamn annoying voice I have heard in my entire life. I cannot adequately express my distaste for its stupidly high pitched whining tone and the grating it puts on the ears.

I'm so glad they fixed the last level to make it less frustrating, Its nice that the game stops making you lose lives in that really hard bit.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3867 on: July 12, 2013, 06:41:29 AM
i had AssCreed Liberation sitting in my Vita for about 5 months but it's a boring piece of [parasitic bomb] so I went back to maybe finish Uncharted Golden Abyss. Really liking it but holy [parasitic bomb] it feels long. Still not caught up to the flash forward used in the intro level.

I bought the Liberation Vita bundle on Black Friday. Still haven't played the game, nor do I have the motivation to.

I thought Golden Abyss is a pretty good Uncharted experience, though not nearly as great as Among Thieves. That game is something everyone should play. Abyss does indeed feel long, and I believe that's because it has the most chapters out of all the games in the franchise.

At the very least, I enjoyed it more than Drake's Deception, which I was really disappointed in. Among Thieves raised my hopes up way too much.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3868 on: July 12, 2013, 06:46:22 AM
Been playing Ratchet: Deadlocked off and on since I got it on PSN.

Its a pretty good game, not like the others but its still pretty fun.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3869 on: July 12, 2013, 06:48:38 AM
I bought the Liberation Vita bundle on Black Friday. Still haven't played the game, nor do I have the motivation to.

I thought Golden Abyss is a pretty good Uncharted experience, though not nearly as great as Among Thieves. That game is something everyone should play. It does indeed feel long, and I believe that's because it has the most chapters out of all the games in the franchise.

At the very least, I enjoyed it more than Drake's Deception, which I was really disappointed in. Among Thieves raised my hopes up way too much.
honestly the only worthwhile AC to try is 2.

the individual chapters in Golden Abyss are certainly shorter at least. Not sure how to compare it to Deception yet since while the story was a mess in that one I'm a bit of a sucker for the Lawrence or Indy style of desert environments and especially the kind of music that accompanies it.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3870 on: July 12, 2013, 06:58:23 AM
Yeah, Uncharted games always have great adventurous atmosphere. But like you said, the story was a mess. I also didn't like the pacing.

Absolutely inexcusable, given the fantastic writers that Naughty Dog has.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3871 on: July 12, 2013, 08:12:19 AM
Naughty Dog has some of the best writer's I've ever seen. The Last of Us was a work of art.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3872 on: July 12, 2013, 08:12:47 AM
Naughty Dog has some of the best writer's I've ever seen. The Last of Us was a work of art.

Was it a good game or a good movie?

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3873 on: July 12, 2013, 08:14:30 AM
Was it a good game or a good movie?

Both.
That said I didn't actually play it. I watched an LP. Surprisingly the cutscenes weren't as long as I expected. I think the longest was maybe 4-5 minutes. The ending was only a couple minutes long. On the same note even the gameplay felt like a movie.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3874 on: July 12, 2013, 08:23:34 AM
Both.
That said I didn't actually play it. I watched an LP. Surprisingly the cutscenes weren't as long as I expected. I think the longest was maybe 4-5 minutes. The ending was only a couple minutes long. On the same note even the gameplay felt like a movie.

Personally, I could never watch a game like that in a LP. Same for BioShock Infinite

Those type of immersive games are best experienced first-hand.