The "What are you currently playing?" Thread

Saber · 726252

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #3075 on: October 08, 2012, 03:37:49 AM
Where is that? Nepal?

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3076 on: October 08, 2012, 04:32:45 AM
Australia or New Zealand, iirc. Can't remember which.

It's also probably ridiculously expensive for some unknown reason.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Archer

Reply #3077 on: October 08, 2012, 04:35:57 AM
New Zealand

It's also probably ridiculously expensive for some unknown reason.

It's not really that expensive this time around, only $68 NZD. Black and White were around $92 NZD. So it's a big price difference.

Probably still more than you guys paid.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3078 on: October 08, 2012, 05:12:40 AM
It's not really that expensive this time around, only $68 NZD. Black and White were around $92 NZD. So it's a big price difference.

Probably still more than you guys paid.
Yeah, but my point was it's more than we pay.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3079 on: October 08, 2012, 06:35:31 AM
How does the New Zealand dollar compare to the American dollar?

Also, I just [tornado fang]ing beat Bionic Commando. Holy [parasitic bomb]. What a cool game. Oh my god, Albatros was pretty sick. What the [tornado fang] [spoiler]Ladd totally says his name AND saves Super Joe. What the [tornado fang]. Holy [parasitic bomb].[/spoiler]

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3080 on: October 08, 2012, 08:46:27 PM
I finally got around to completing Rockman X2: Soul Eraser.  ...  This game is so freaking untested, it's not even funny.

If you decide to go "the opposite way" with characters and levels in Hard Mode -- which is to say, if you play X's levels with Zero and Zero's levels with X -- you get screwed out of armor parts because you don't have the right weapons to access the areas where the armor parts art.  Zero's Fire Wave can't burn down that wood barrier in Neon Tiger's stage and none of X's weapons can penetrate the barriers in Tunnel Rhino or Blast Hornet's stages, charged or not.  You end up missing X's helmet part and Zero's arm and body parts due to this. (And X's "Shotokan Style" upgrade, if you count that.)
In addition, there doesn't seem to be a way for Zero to hurt Final Sigma.  He never gets an Air Dash upgrade and none of this moves do anything to Sigma's battle suit.  You're forced to switch to X and use his vertical air dash to kick Sigma's butt.  Which of course means if you didn't get the Leg Part capsule for X, you can't beat Sigma, and you can't beat the game.
Also, you don't refight both Soul Erasers at any point in the game.  If you get to the cutscene part of Soul Eraser Stage 3 as X, you go and fight Berkana.  If you get there as Zero, you go and fight Gareth.  X will never legitimately fight Gareth and Zero will never legitimately fight Berkana.

Is this game better than the first?  Marginally.  But it has its own amount of disappointment and some small amount of bugs.  That's about it.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3081 on: October 08, 2012, 08:50:23 PM
Been playing Arkham City.  [tornado fang]ing addicting.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3082 on: October 08, 2012, 11:04:20 PM
Been playing Arkham City.  [tornado fang]ing addicting.

Damn right. But I still wish it had online co-op.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3083 on: October 09, 2012, 01:28:20 AM
Just played through Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters.  Without killing a single enemy (except the bosses) or picking up a single item.  Needless to say, Pit was somewhat battered and bruised by the end.

What's more, the worse you do during the course of the game, the less items you can equip later in the last level.  Apparently, you get the Wings of the Pegasus whether you want them or not, but the Silver Armor or Light Arrows.

Also, either it's because I'm playing on an emulator, the ROM is bad, or Nintendo never meant for players to have such a low score, but my game crashed after I beat the final boss with my Level 1 arrows and 1 HP.  Well, I guess I'll play through the game "normally" later and see if it does it again.  Fully-powered Pit is a monster in this game.  X3

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #3084 on: October 09, 2012, 03:05:30 AM
Still playing RE6, beat Leon's story. It was full of cheap thrills and not a lot of substance, but overall pretty enjoyable. Will start Chris now.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #3085 on: October 10, 2012, 03:18:32 AM
If you decide to go "the opposite way" with characters and levels in Hard Mode -- which is to say, if you play X's levels with Zero and Zero's levels with X -- you get screwed out of armor parts because you don't have the right weapons to access the areas where the armor parts art.  Zero's Fire Wave can't burn down that wood barrier in Neon Tiger's stage and none of X's weapons can penetrate the barriers in Tunnel Rhino or Blast Hornet's stages, charged or not.  You end up missing X's helmet part and Zero's arm and body parts due to this. (And X's "Shotokan Style" upgrade, if you count that.)
You can buy X's armor from Iris for 2000 DNA Souls.  Zero is screwed, though.

In addition, there doesn't seem to be a way for Zero to hurt Final Sigma.  He never gets an Air Dash upgrade and none of this moves do anything to Sigma's battle suit.  You're forced to switch to X and use his vertical air dash to kick Sigma's butt.  Which of course means if you didn't get the Leg Part capsule for X, you can't beat Sigma, and you can't beat the game.
You couldn't be more wrong: Attacking at the peak of Zero's jump WILL damage Sigma, but will NOT cause the full screen flash associated with smacking him in the face after X's air-dash.
Watch Sigma's coloring.  Only X can hurt him when he's blue, only Zero can hurt him when he's red, and both can hurt him while he's yellow.

Is this game better than the first?  Marginally.
... That is literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
[/Sheldon Cooper]

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3086 on: October 10, 2012, 03:46:23 AM
You can buy X's armor from Iris for 2000 DNA Souls.  Zero is screwed, though.
That, my friend, is what I consider bad game design.  Yeah, sure, you can buy X's armor, but why would you want to when you can just find -- oh wait...
You couldn't be more wrong: Attacking at the peak of Zero's jump WILL damage Sigma, but will NOT cause the full screen flash associated with smacking him in the face after X's air-dash.
Watch Sigma's coloring.  Only X can hurt him when he's blue, only Zero can hurt him when he's red, and both can hurt him while he's yellow.
You know, that thought didn't occur to me.  Probably because... it's so gimmicky...  And asinine.  >_>
Is this game better than the first?  Marginally.
... That is literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
[/Sheldon Cooper]
You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.  I'm sure if I'd played both games on the Game Boy Color as intended, I would think differently, but the lack of an optional dash button really made this game feel more like a chore than a game to me.  And the aforementioned forced Leg Parts for X.  And the fact that if you face a wall and jump, you are stuck against the wall until you land again.  And a lot of other things.

+1 Buster, +2 Buster, Rapid Shot, and Ultimate Buster is a hilariously broken combination, though.  :B

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3087 on: October 10, 2012, 06:58:09 AM
Watch Sigma's coloring.  Only X can hurt him when he's blue, only Zero can hurt him when he's red, and both can hurt him while he's yellow.
Oh boy, talk about putting the COLOR into Game Boy COLOR.

Relevant

Also, you both know that Game Boy Color games suck, right? Like Game Gear games. Not that there aren't a few decent ones, but even then they suck, and the rest are worse.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3088 on: October 10, 2012, 07:39:25 AM
What about Shantae? That's a GBC game and it's great.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3089 on: October 10, 2012, 07:49:56 AM
Do remakes count?  Link's Awakening DX was alright.  The Oracle games were pretty good, too, from what I've heard.  Earthworm Jim: Menace 2 the Galaxy and even Donkey Kong Country, on the other hand...

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3090 on: October 10, 2012, 08:03:29 AM
Oracle games are [tornado fang]ing awesome!

Seriously, so good.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3091 on: October 10, 2012, 08:53:13 AM
What about Shantae? That's a GBC game and it's great.
I liked Shantae, but it had some serious [tornado fang]ing contrast problems. But that's not its fault. It's the Game Boy Color's.

Do remakes count?  Link's Awakening DX was alright.  The Oracle games were pretty good, too, from what I've heard.  Earthworm Jim: Menace 2 the Galaxy and even Donkey Kong Country, on the other hand...
Oracle games are [tornado fang]ing awesome!

Seriously, so good.
Eh, the asymmetry of the Game Boy/Game Boy Advance Zelda games always irked me, but that's me. I haven't played Earthworm Jim: Menace 2 the Galaxy. Donkey Kong Countries GBC were pretty cool.

Let's defend the Game Gear with good titles:
Golden Axe the Zelda 2-esque RPG
Dolphin Game
Sonic
Sonic Karts
Tails
FANTASY ZONE
And also Road Runner

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3092 on: October 10, 2012, 08:46:58 PM
You forgot Streets of Rage 2 (but not the first one!!) and X-Men.  I forget which X-Men game.  The first one, I think.  That was pretty awesome gameplay right there.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3093 on: October 10, 2012, 10:42:29 PM
I'm only listing things I own. Game Gear games are hard enough to find, let alone the quality titles. I very much look forward to laying eyes on Mega Man for Game Gear. I'm running out of Magger games to find.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3094 on: October 10, 2012, 10:44:57 PM
I just started playing the PSP version of Final Fantasy III.
It reads my system settings to know my language and my X/O functions. Unfortunately nobody told the HUD. The screen will still say "O Accept" and "X Cancel", even though that isn't true. So far It's a fun game. Dual Wielding all over the place. Luneth is usually dual wielding the two most powerful weapons, while everyone else usually uses the shop stuff.

I hate how slow the zoom is and how claustrophobic I have to be to see the secret switch/item indicator. If it were faster I could bare it. Maybe I'll make a cheat or something for it.

I love the Auto Battle system, but I don't like that I can't hold Select to cancel it as I'm going into a battle. If I win with it on I have to hope the next battle isn't special or I'm fast enough at pressing select rapidly. I like that it speeds up when Auto Battling. I might try to make a cheat that lets me toggle the speed increase in controlled battle. Maybe it even works out of battle?

I'll have some screenshots in the random picture thread eventually.

Alos, anybody who's played 3(though it may not matter since I'm sure they rebalanced the Jobs, even different from the DS version), How does Warrior, Black Mage, White Mage, Thief sound? I want to have all warriors, but I know that will probably screw me over in the obligatory "physical attack resistant monster" dungeon that will teach me to use magic. Also, is Monk any good? I know in FF1 it had a side effect of getting multiple hits, so monsters who nullified all attacks to 1 were easily defeated if they had low HP. Maybe I'll do Warrior, Thief, Red Mage, Monk.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #3095 on: October 11, 2012, 03:09:27 AM
So I finished all 128 levels in Jetpac Refuelled and this was the ending.

Oh Rare, you still got it. 8D

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3096 on: October 12, 2012, 04:50:33 AM
I just started playing the PSP version of Final Fantasy III.
It reads my system settings to know my language and my X/O functions. Unfortunately nobody told the HUD. The screen will still say "O Accept" and "X Cancel", even though that isn't true.

Also, is Monk any good? I know in FF1 it had a side effect of getting multiple hits, so monsters who nullified all attacks to 1 were easily defeated if they had low HP.
Everybody gets multiple attacks in FF1. Or at least, my Fighter, Red Mage, and Monk all do, and I'm like just shy of level 10.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #3097 on: October 15, 2012, 07:48:30 PM
Still playing RE6. Leon and Chris were fun overall. Sadly their idea of a scary game is narrow corridors and dark environments, if Leon's campaign was any indication. But the boss fights and set pieces helped make his game memorable. Chris was more about the gunfights, and the rooms were bigger.

My PS3 is sooo damn loud. I'll beat RE6 and then wait until I get the new model, 'cause this is too distracting. I wish I could at least turn the TV volume way up, but usually at 11 PM in an apartment this is not the best idea.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #3098 on: October 15, 2012, 08:12:44 PM

No Rockman X or Rockman DASH stuff yet, met Ryu, Ken, Akira, Jin and others from SF, VF and Tekken.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3099 on: October 15, 2012, 09:39:11 PM
Please do keep us informed, amiga!  :3

As for me?  Dragon Warrior I & II for the Game Boy Color.  Yes, specifically the US version.  It's an RPG.  I kind of need to be able to read the text.  :B

Man, did I ever forget how boring grinding for gold was in the first game...  Though I recently stumbled into the dungeon of Gamin.  That's been fairly profitable.  I didn't even realize how much time I'd spent down there until I came topside (I was out of MP by this time) and notice my Gold went from 1,000-something to 3,500-something.  Who knew "Druins" and Poltergeists and Drolls (oh my!) could bring me so much fortune?  @_@;

Still can't wait until I get into Gold Golem and Metal Slime territory, though.  x: