Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 258541

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
3D? I...don't care. It's nice that it won't require glasses, but it still feels too gimmicky to me. Worse: it has motion sensing? This is looking like the one Nintendo handheld I won't be getting.
HOLY [parasitic bomb]! I... don't care in the least.
3D gaming? I mean, REALLY?
Ha, ha, ha... OH WOW.
This is supposed to be the successor to the DS/DSi, yes? If so, then it's not like it'll be a DS with some motion+3D gimmick. The machine will probably have improved capabilities overall.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Seems like you have problem with that kind of (pseudo) 3D.

To be honest, I don't know how it works but all I know that it's one kind of 3D image.
For more example
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Dear God! That one's even worse!

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Nintendo confirms 3DS to be playable at E3

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=118232

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
That's a very disorienting. I get dizzy looking at it. Is that 3D? Just looks like a two-frame animated gif to me.
It's an animated gif that gives the illusion of depth. Very strange that you're not seeing it, do you wear glasses, or are colorblind, or anything else eye-related?

This all looks interesting, but I'll wait for some examples first. It's about time for me to upgrade though, battery is failing on my old original DS...

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Fascinating. And I agree with Jeri, Nintendo pretty much went for the jugular, right here and now.

Makes sense though. While Sony and Microsoft are going for the motion-sensing pissing contest this coming E3, Nintendo will stand to generate the most hoopla by actually announcing a new successor for this generation of hardware. It helps that said successor is to the console that TRULY won this console war any way.  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
New DS + 3D = PB SOLD!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
The only thing that would make this even more guaranteed for a PB buy would be if it came with a Blues scarf.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Eh, I'll wait to see what they do with it.

Offline Akira

• Mr. Fanservice & Vixy's cute boy
  • Neo Arcadian
  • BAKA!
    • View Profile
New DS + 3D = PB SOLD!

3D + PB = I want that too XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Well, here's my thing.  When 3D works, I highly enjoy it.  Avatar, Alice & Wonderland, and Up all had fantastic 3D, whereas I remember Superman Returns having terrible 3D.  Since I don't get headaches or anything of the sort while looking at 3D, I have no problem with it, and thus I'm looking forward to the thing.  Plus, all the other features mentioned here sound nifty.  I'm looking forward to seeing the thing at E3, or on the internet before E3 as we know how impatient nerds are these days! 

If anything, I seriously applaud Ninty for announcing this before I bought myself a DSi XL.  Granted, I still might buy myself one possibly, but I like the fact that they didn't pull a classic Nintendick move and announce the 3DS a week or two after I bought it.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
But they did if you're Japanese, or European, specially European.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile

Thankfully I'm not!   8D

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile

I can feel for our PAL brethren, as theirs is a hard lot as it is.  >w<

But if you're Japanese? Theirs is different, in light of how Ninty is prone to putting out multiple versions of the same SKU in a single quarter, much less the overall year. If you're a collect-a-holic that's gravy, but for most normal people, it's just a matter of picking and choosing, or if you just want to wait it out.

So in other words, this is pretty standard MO for their side of the pond. I'm expecting this, much like DSi before it, will probably launch some where in October/November.

HnB GET.  owob

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Imagine if they announce a 3D Bowser game!  Or 3-Daisy, where Daisy must navigate through a 3-D world to collect the 3-Diamonds of Threedia!   :V

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Make them both the same game, and I would break my Wii-release vow to never again stay up all night for new hardware. 8D

Considering how DSiXL people got screwed I guess I needn't feel too bad that I only bought my DSi a year ago.  Honestly, 3D to me is only a gimmick and not a system-seller, but we all know that it's only a matter of time before any Nintendo hardware gets a game that I want.  A handheld joystick does concern me a bit, but we'll see.  Nintendo has generally kicked Sony's ass in the stick department, so I'm hoping they can top the PSP nipple. *shudder*

BTW, would now be a good time to re-enter pleas for a handheld Virtual Console?  'cuz with a 3D machine coming, I'm thinking Mario Clash for the masses that were turned off by gaming in a View-Master.

And even though I'm sure it will NEVER happen, a new hardware announcement is always a nice time to dream of game-specific Nintendo friend codes being abolished...

Gotta say though, portable 3D? That caught me off guard. I was totally expecting Nintendo to stay away from 3D until it got better integrated, much like they stayed away from HD with the Wii initially.
I think "no glasses" is the key reason they'd even attempt it.  Nintendo, when adopting a new technology, has a tendency to look for the biggest obstacle and a way to tear it down.  With both HD and internet play, that was cost.  They didn't do internet play until they could make it free, and they won't do HD until they can make it cheap (that includes the development end, not just the consumer).  With 3D visuals, it's the glasses.  Nobody likes to have to wear those things for too long.  So getting a more user-friendly version into mainstream hands, sounds like a typical Nintendo move to me.  Whether or not it actually works remains to be seen.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Imagine if they announce a 3D Bowser game! 

If that were the case, it would be thing that I wouldn't even WAIT for the import to arrive at my damn house. I would PERSONALLY find a way to be in line, in Japan, to get my console and game! (HUGE LIE!)  XD

BTW, would now be a good time to re-enter pleas for a handheld Virtual Console?  'cuz with a 3D machine coming, I'm thinking Mario Clash for the masses that were turned off by gaming in a View-Master.

Now, the only thing here is that, even for the likes of Virtual Boy, it would require emulation of some sort. And why go through that much trouble, for like the 2-3 games that really qualify for such a thing?

If anything, I see this as a possible opportunity to remake and "re-envision" those games. Mario Clash, Wario Land VB and/or maybe even that canceled Mario Land game that never saw the light of day. And Atlus could compliment by bringing back Jack Bros!  8D

Otherwise, if we're truly talking like GCN tech in the palm of my hand, then yeah, the time is prime for a real VC for the upcoming Nintendo portable.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
If anything, I see this as a possible opportunity to remake and "re-envision" those games.
Works for me, I just assumed lazy development.  If it's colorized, higher-res, and includes some badass nostalgic remixes (preferably SMB3), so much the better.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline DjKlzonez

• B-Class Hunter
  • Once a year
    • View Profile
I was thinking this was an april fools joke. :\
It is, why they always ''leak'' a lot of stuff these days (before april starts) ?

I want to see the faces of each one of you when they ''confirm'' this console

Steam       Youtube

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Wonder if the 3DS has anything to do with the game Charles Martinet was working on?

'Cause I'd love to see a new portable 3D Mario.

Also, 3D Starfox would be a dream come true (provided it's GOOD).

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
ANY Star Fox that is actually good would be a dream come true. 

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Wonder if the 3DS has anything to do with the game Charles Martinet was working on?

Hmmm, that's very possible.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
It is, why they always ''leak'' a lot of stuff these days (before april starts) ?

I want to see the faces of each one of you when they ''confirm'' this console

It's real. This was a gradual thing leading up to when new Ninty hardware was confirmed, starting around GDC. If nothing else, this particular announcement was more of a thing to keep Ninty's stockholders happy (the Japanese fiscal year is over in a few days), with us just doing more to benefit from the "run-off". 8D

If this was a bunch of trolling, then there would be a whole hell of a lot to answer for. Nintendo's official name, and the name of some many credible JP publications, such as nikkei, are on the line, now. With that all said, you can rest assured this is real, even if we don't know much else in the way of specs just yet.

You wouldn't be the only one. And a new Ninty console needs a Mario platformer to launch with it. I'd like something original, as opposed to say, just a port/remake of Sunshine.

Of course, on the other hand, some other select parties have been relatively quiet as of late. IntelSys and even Square Enix have not really shown their hands. Maybe either of them could be a part of this particular mix...?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Of course, on the other hand, some other select parties have been relatively quiet as of late. IntelSys and even Square Enix have not really shown their hands. Maybe either of them could be a part of this particular mix...?

3-D New Super Mario RPG, Ben?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
PB, you really need to stop filling our heads with ideas that are too damn awesome to be true. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
PB, you really need to stop filling our heads with ideas that are too damn awesome to be true. XD

But that's my forte, HyShell.  To raise your hopes, your dreams, and your imagination with endless and awesome possibilities!   8D