Super Smash Bros. Thread

Akamaru · 657289

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #6200 on: December 25, 2015, 04:32:57 AM
Uh Sato you may want to go to the thread on the new way to embed videos, it's the third one in box of links in the header.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #6201 on: December 25, 2015, 07:54:08 AM
jesus

that is absolutely savage

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #6202 on: December 26, 2015, 07:57:54 AM
Yeah, Gordos are damn evil, the only thing preventing them from being completely broken is that your opponent can knock them back.

*coughPichucough*

But in all seriousness, the main issue is that we have three unique fire emblem characters (Ike, Robin and Corrin) and Marth, Girl Marth and Red Marth. Honestly if we never got Lucina or the return of Roy there probably wouldn't have been any issue but instead its a relatively B/C-tier Nintendo franchise that only VERY recently got any proper US attention with an equal amount of reps as Pokemon, one more than Zelda, and one short of Mario.

Honestly with how popular Kirby is (and how it and Kid Icarus are Sakurai's babies) i'm really surprised we didn't get like Bandanna Waddle Dee or something.
In all fairness, they did begin "decloning" Roy so that he is more in the same vein as Falco/Ganondorf, and not the straight copy (with maybe one different move) that Lucina/Dark Pit/Dr. Mario are.  And let's not kid ourselves: Roy was included because he is a Melee veteran, not because he is AT ALL relevant to the current state of the Fire Emblem franchise.  He isn't.

Also, while I loath the "character slot" logic for reasons nobody wants to hear me rant about, your math is off: Mario has at least 8 character slots (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Rosalina, Jr., Dr.).  9 if you count Wario, and the fact that his WarioWare skin is his primary one is the full and sole reason why anyone wouldn't.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #6203 on: December 26, 2015, 10:10:10 AM
Yeah, Gordos are damn evil, the only thing preventing them from being completely broken is that your opponent can knock them back.
In all fairness, they did begin "decloning" Roy so that he is more in the same vein as Falco/Ganondorf, and not the straight copy (with maybe one different move) that Lucina/Dark Pit/Dr. Mario are.  And let's not kid ourselves: Roy was included because he is a Melee veteran, not because he is AT ALL relevant to the current state of the Fire Emblem franchise.  He isn't.

Also, while I loath the "character slot" logic for reasons nobody wants to hear me rant about, your math is off: Mario has at least 8 character slots (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Rosalina, Jr., Dr.).  9 if you count Wario, and the fact that his WarioWare skin is his primary one is the full and sole reason why anyone wouldn't.

Yoshi's both divorced from the Mario set in terms of Icon and trophies.
That's also why I didn't count Wario.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6204 on: December 26, 2015, 04:43:59 PM
I don't think that means much since Yoshi is still in Mario games as a prominent gameplay mechanic and most Yoshi games feature Baby Mario anyway.  Only way you can count Wario is if you consider the Mario Party games and other spin offs, along with Donkey Kong in some games but not Diddy Kong.

EDIT: Scratch that, Diddy is apparently a boss in Mario Party 9 of all things so if you want to stretch it you can count Diddy along with Wario and DK.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #6205 on: December 27, 2015, 05:59:36 AM
Yoshi does NOT have his own franchise, he has spinoffs that just happen to be more successful than either Luigi or Peach.  His mechanics, supporting cast, and enemies are all derived from Mario.  For God's sake, his final boss is always Bowser; it doesn't get more "Mario series" than that.

DK will always be tied to Mario through origin (and in turn spinoffs/party games), but he actually did build his own unique franchise.

Wario is debatable.  The very definition of his character is that he is the anti-Mario, so despite Nintendo's best efforts, you can't really separate them.  Even if the variety of games built around him would have otherwise justified it.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6206 on: December 27, 2015, 06:02:13 AM
Yeah I doubt we'll see another Super Princess Peach anytime soon.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6207 on: January 01, 2016, 02:17:27 AM

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #6208 on: January 18, 2016, 08:53:53 PM
So, this is probably old news, but since I couldn't find any mention of it on the boards....

Harmony of Heroes

It's a Smash-themed album from the same OCRemix team that did the Metroid: Harmony of a Hunter albums. I absolutely LOVE the entire thing (all 101 songs!).

Oh, and the "Final Smash" expansion was released recently. Covers stuff from Wii U/3DS.  The Punch-Out! cover ("Your Face is History", I think.) is so 80's it's awesome.

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #6209 on: February 04, 2016, 08:22:17 PM
I've been playing Corrin and Bayonetta since last night and these are my thoughts.

First off, thanks [tornado fang]ing Sakurai. Their voices are super compressed. They sound like they're in an early PS1 game. I'm serious, it's REALLY bad. Even with music cranked up it's super noticeable.

Now anyways, Bayonetta plays like a weird ZSS/Ryu hybrid. She's very combo heavy and her punish game is really great. I like playing her. She's a bit hard to pick up though and I still need a LOT of practice before I can play her competently.

Corrin, granted, despite having a lot of differences, at her (I play femcorrin, male robin still based tho) base, she's Marth Clone #4 which really sours my experiences with her. She's also Cloud-tier broken. She's the anti-Cloud, looks like. Playing her is boring and I expect fighting her is infuriating. I will give her this though, she has a lot of fun techniques to her.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #6210 on: February 04, 2016, 09:46:03 PM
I disagree about Corrin. There's far more to differentiate them from Marth, and I hesitate to call them broken. Given they do have quite a few great tools; their projectile is amazing, there's a lot of utility in b air, their throws seem really good. Otherwise, I was feeling a bit meh. It's really interesting that their sword does damage as you charge forward smash. It wrecks the cpu, but humans can probably DI out of that.

Bayo has to be a top tier. All the stuff she can do is bananas. I already love meteor smashing people with her down smash. Though I can't figure out how to make After Burner Kick aim downward.

They both have stall then fall down airs. Get ready to see spammers flock to them.

Also, the music selection from the Bayonetta games is stellar. I am [tornado fang]ing hype that the After Burner mix is in.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #6211 on: February 04, 2016, 11:19:39 PM
The After Burner mix is in? Niiiiiice!

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #6212 on: February 04, 2016, 11:30:16 PM
I'll leave this here.

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #6213 on: February 05, 2016, 05:15:58 AM
Today Corrin made me ragequit for the first time since I started Smash while I was at campus.

I officially regret buying this game.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #6214 on: February 06, 2016, 08:10:02 AM
Today Corrin made me ragequit for the first time since I started Smash while I was at campus.

I don't regret buying the game but I only regret not having 3DS XL as my hands are too big for my 3DS. I also wish that I also had a Wii U. I really wish that I had some more money to get one.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #6215 on: February 06, 2016, 09:42:35 PM
I finally got the last hat I needed on 3DS. The Mini Top Hat had eluded me for too long. It finally came from my Pikachu amiibo.

I think if you survived Diddy back in the day, you can deal with Corrin.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #6216 on: February 06, 2016, 10:13:15 PM
Spent all day playing yesterday and I don't have as much of a problem though. I'm starting to get burned on Smash though.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #6217 on: July 05, 2018, 02:35:58 AM
HI I'M DAISY!!

! No longer available

So, yeah, I will maintain that cloning (or "Echo Fighter" now) doesn't do her justice, but the way Nintendo neglects her we all knew they wouldn't build her from scratch.  My points of interest:
-Can't an Echo Fighter have a unique run animation?  The skip doesn't fit her.
-Neither does Toad.  Seriously, replace that with a Bomb Koopa, it'd a simple aesthetic swap not unlike Dark Pit's Electroshock Arm.  But, I doubt they'll do it, since it's in trailers already.
-On that note, Turnips should be replaced with Batadon/Tokotoko/Ganchan.  That's "rock guys from World 3 of Super Mario Land" for the rest of you.
-I will say, I do approve of Daisy attacking enemies with her butt, which is more than I can say for Luigi.
-Ultra Smash music is a nice touch, but I'm hoping for another SML remix or two.  Like this:
! No longer available
-Love her taunt pose.
-I am curious to know exactly what it is that makes her an Echo and not a skin swap (Koopalings, Alph, male WFT, female Robin/Corrin).  Remove the 2nd jump float for more power, maybe?
-Need to know her Final Smash.  I would wholly approve of Daisy stealing Peach's dance, but if she just bitchslaps some poor guy off the top of the screen, that works too.
-Conspiracy Theory: Her Toad is blue.  Blue Toad is the first if not only playable Toad in any simultaneous multiplayer "Super Mario" platformer.  Could it be...?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #6218 on: July 05, 2018, 06:01:30 AM
Only gameplay difference we know so far is that her Side B has downwards knockback, whereas Peach's has upwards. The way Final Smashes are going in this game, I feel Peach's will change. Whether or not Daisy copies that, we'll see. And just purely spitballing here, I don't think Daisy will be able to float, but have like a speed buff to make up for it.