Base > General

Official RPM Computer & Electronics Discussion Thread

(1/15) > >>

Jericho:
OK, after an interesting thought hit me in Nodoka's current gen console thread, I decided to make a bit of an unusual thread that will hopefully help the RPM populace. The purpose of this thread is simple, it's to be used to help anyone looking for a recommendation, facts or hands on impressions for electronics, laptops, desktops, and their parts. It's also going to be used to help educate our fellow members on a few topics I'm sure you'll all have questions on. So whether it's simple things like graphics cards, getting the best bang for your buck when shopping for your gadgetry, the ins and outs of drawing tablets, or getting your iPod up and running smoothly, this topic is for you!

Please note though, this topic is not meant for PC related problems. While I'm sure there might be some things along the way that will get brought up here at first, if your questions pertain to a specific problem you are having with your device and computer, see the Computer Problem Thread or our resident Meltyhead DominicanZero aka Shiki Tonho for more info to help you out.

Now with all of this covered, I'd like to leave you all to post and help one another out with information as the thread goes on. I'll be back to post in the thread soon enough to cover some interesting topics, mostly on the computing side of the spectrum.

Some things of note to post in here whenever you discuss your issues or want to share information would be:

* Your desktop or laptop specs
* Your level of proficiency with computers
* Are you a light or heavy electronics consumer?
* Your experience with a certain brand or device
* "Futureproofing" (I.E. Buying the best with the future and longevity in mind) or "For The Here and Now" (Multiple purchases as they first roll out)?

Psycho Yuffie:
Woo! So will this be the thread everyone posts their specs in?

Jericho:
Actually, that's a pretty good idea. Bear with me though, the thread is mainly a work in progress, so I'll make a note of things that would be good to post in the OP.

Psycho Yuffie:
Desktop Specs
HDD: 2x250GB
Memory: 4GB 667MHz DDR2 (Upgraded from 2GB)
Monitor: 22" 1680x1050
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 1GB VRAM (Upgraded from NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS, 256MB)
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo, 2.0GHz
OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition (Currently has Windows 7 installed)

Level of Proficiency
Above Average
I've only began down the road that'll take me down the path of the techie. I've done a lot of homework in researching computer parts and such for when I build my own computer in about a month and a half. I was also able to give my computer a huge upgrade for about $100.

Are you a light or heavy electronics consumer?
Considering that I'll be spending roughly $3000 on my new computer, I consider myself a heavy consumer. I'm willing to shell out a lot of money for computers.

Experience
Since I'm still pretty new, I really don't have any. I'll get back to you after I purchased the parts for my new beast of a computer.

Rad Lionheart:
Desktop Specs:
Original Specs
+2GB of Samsung DDR 333 RAM
+ATI Technologies, Radeon X1600 PRO 512MB 128-bit Graphics card. (PCI-e)
+RetailPlus+ 465W PSU
+17" LCD Optiquest Q7 Monitor
+NexXtech 800-1600 DPI Laser Gaming Mouse
+Microsoft Pro Media Keyboard.
+Logitech 2.1 Stereo Speakers & Subwoofer.
Currently running Mandriva One Spring 2009.1

Level of Proficiency:
Not very proficient at all.

Are you a light or heavy electronics consumer:
I'm cheap as cheap can be.

Experience:
Not a whole lot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version