Instant Experts and their abilities

Waifu · 3392

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: May 23, 2009, 06:20:59 PM
How do you deal with those who become instant experts in their craft and surpass those who studied their entire lives? I don't the answer to that and I was wondering if the characters they surpass would deal with it. I don't know, it just seems annoying that anyone could just do in a few months or minutes what someone else practiced for God knows how long. I dson't know if that is realistic or I am just plain annoyed but seriously you may probably have to get a few years of practice before getting right. How do the rivals and other characters deal the characters that surpassed them?

Offline Afro-Shroom

• King of the N00bs
  • Master's Unit
  • DWII's Lab Expirement Verifier
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 06:29:05 PM
Are you taking about? People in general or a game?

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger!!~ "

"This hand of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory! Erupting...Burning...FINGER!!!~"
-----
That one Nun...

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:44:39 PM
man what

Aresian

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:03:31 PM
In video games it tickles me, because the person with "such dedication" usually snaps because someone... hey, just managed to figure it out faster/better/whatever. So they usually join the darkside/badguys/protesting.

IRL... not that different, people become retardedly obsessive because someone picked up on something better than they did. I've struggled for pretty much every one of my major skills. I pick up small things with ease, due to my ability to imitate, something I practiced for years on aswell. But people all around me ascend and advance faster than I do in areas I was once proclaimed "the best" in. Does it [acid burst] me off? No, just means they have more potential than I do.

Human beings, while bounties of Free Will, also have set parameters, I feel. When we are born, there are some things we'll naturally be able to do and not do. Sicknesses we will be more likely to have and not have. Guide lines, not things "set in stone" but things that very well could and possibly will happen.

But I could go on about this for several posts more, I'll spare you all the idle discussion. Short answer, no, it wouldn't make me angry. I'd be pleased and try to push for their advancement in that field even more.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:18:48 PM
As a singer it doesn't matter as long as they are good, but if they don't practice, claim they are good when they could be better, and think they know everything, and especially all of the above and they are older than me is where I draw the line.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Afro-Shroom

• King of the N00bs
  • Master's Unit
  • DWII's Lab Expirement Verifier
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:22:41 PM
I don't really mind if they are better then me with little to no effort, but things change once they brag and start acting like douche bags because of it.  B(

"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! Shining Finger!!~ "

"This hand of mine is burning red! It's loud roar tells me to grasp victory! Erupting...Burning...FINGER!!!~"
-----
That one Nun...

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 09:19:03 PM
The only one field in which I believe people are instant experts is Singing.  There are people who can sing and people who, no matter how much practice they put into it, really don't have the voice.

Everything else, I think, takes practice, no matter how quickly they seem to develop.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 09:22:22 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of how AWESOME I am.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 09:26:11 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of how AWESOME I am.

Okay, 2 things.  Singing and Ego!   8D

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 09:35:57 PM
Depends on who you are in the equation.

If you're the guy that's getting godly skill really quickly, then it's totally awesome for you. You're just going to be targeted the most since you raised your skills so high so quickly. But as long as you keep your skills up, it should be no problem to grind their noses into the dirt.

If you're the guy that slowly got godly skill, and now some whippersnapper who just picked up the activity is godly at it too, you'd be down right pissed. You now have to obviously find out how he got so good so fast and try to imitate him. Then grind his nose into the dirt.

If you don't give a [parasitic bomb] either way, a [parasitic bomb] was not given and you just don't give a damn. But you'll grind someone's nose into the dirt anyways because that's fun.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 09:40:49 PM
HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH THEM?  YOU KILL THEM AND TAKE THEIR POWERS!

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 09:41:58 PM
You mean like Megaman?

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 09:43:18 PM
But you'll grind someone's nose into the dirt anyways because that's fun.
I never like to do that it's just not right and, unfortunatly, sometimes I do it unintensionally, but it's worse when you see someone else doing it.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 09:44:56 PM
HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH THEM?  YOU KILL THEM AND TAKE THEIR POWERS!

It's amazing how logical you think sometimes!

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 09:55:12 PM
I deal with them the same way I deal with everything. Competition.

See, I'm one of those who think healthy competition is the ONLY way to get better at something. If you're good at something, the ONLY way you get motivated to get even better is if you find someone that is, at your current level, BETTER THAN YOU. Because that way you'll want to be better than them, continuing the circle of self-improvement, even if it's for the sake of arrogance and proving your potentially superior ability.

Credits to Jeff Atwood of Coding Horror for pointing me to Geek Hero Comic, the website of the little comic.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 09:56:55 PM
I deal with them the same way I deal with everything. Competition.

This is the basis of my friendship with Lou!   owob

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 09:57:56 PM

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 10:10:55 PM
-post-

Agreed, minus the ego stroking. XD

I find that once you get to a comfortable place and start viewing yourself as the best, you become stuck in your ways and highly inflexible.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 11:50:47 PM
If you're good at something, the ONLY way you get motivated to get even better is if you find someone that is, at your current level, BETTER THAN YOU.
Yes, this.

Plus it's just plain fun to have a rival like that.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 04:38:21 PM
As far as it goes in real life, you deal with it by either admitting someone has gotten better than you in a short amount of time, or you just get better at whatever it is yourself, or you can kick and scream about how much better someone is and not do a thing about it. The latter being the sissy way out of things. When it comes down to it, people just have an easier time than other when it comes down to it.

Muscle memorization has a lot to do with it. When you do something around, say, 10,000 times, your muscles remember how to do it and you go through the task without having to double check yourself. 10,000 times it the average minimum for...average people. I know people who can train for a week and learn something without having to check themselves, that took me a month before I got there. I've been beaten by a tweleve year old girl when I was sixteen in a tournement because she learned at an exceedling rapid pace compared to my fast pace.

Now, as far as video games go, the one thing to keep in mind in games is that the main character goes through slews of wild monsters or lackies of the godlike villain to the point where their psyhical experience grows over time. Usually, the boss is someone who aquired power either through birthright, or by outside interference. While they are powerful, they don't have the constant fighting experience that the hereos have or their determination to win. (Determination can -seriously- make the difference in a fight.)

That and the godlike bad guys are at times, drunk on their own power to the point that their overcockyness brings their downfall. I can't help but be reminded of Squall vs Ultimecia in Dissidia. She controls -time it's freaking self-. Problem was that when she actually froze Squall in time, she decided to try to kill him in a playfull way and make a bunch of stuff to stab him when she unfreezes. Big mistake since Squall could obviously adapt and -react- to stressfull situations in a split second notice due to training and experience he's had.

Overall though, most games, it's not so much a "we have to surpass the badguy's powers" as much as it is "We don't need infinite power to beat him. We have to remember what's important, go in there, and give it our all, even if it KILLS us." The difference between all powerful bad guy and weak little good guys is that the good guys have much MUCH more to lose if they fail. So, they simply give more effort than the badguy could ever give, due to them not having an actual -reason- that drives them to fight.