Co-op Mega Man

Satoryu · 23511

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 03:10:56 AM
This for great win.lol downtime. that was such an awesome comic.

shame it had such an ironic demise...

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 03:26:41 AM
Xtreme 3 for the DS.. That would be amazing.
Damn straight.  Several X/Zero/ZX tracks get me fantasizing about that every time I listen to them.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 03:57:22 AM
Yeah. I would definetly like Forte in it. also, I think Duo should be brought back into the picture.

[tornado fang] Bass. [tornado fang] Duo. there, i said it.

The only problem would be actual traversing of the stages. I can't even think of a good example of a platforming co-op game

how many Contras are there?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 04:04:41 AM
CRESCENT KIIIIICK~!!

^ What Sato said! Not knowing about Contra makes my heart tear apart. o.o
Then again, Konami are awesome at co-op games. Just look at Turtles in Time. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 04:07:56 AM

I wouldn't mind Bass, as he's underused (fandom be damned). Duo, however...If they didn't find a way to make the stages accommodate his hugeness (provided they didn't already shrink him down a la Power Fighters), he could end up useless. That'd just be a waste of a perfectly good character there.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 04:18:15 AM
There was a fan-game aptly called "Mega Man Co-Op" - it was Megaman 1 with two players able to play together via LAN. While all the special weapons were done, and you could make your own levels, it got canceled and only had a very small example of Bombman's stage avaliable. Nonetheless, the engine was solid.

Offline Zechs

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
    • Simply-Crestfallen.
Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 07:39:24 AM
I would imagine something similar to Contra for a MegaMan Co-Op, but I'd be interested none the less. Though, I dread the parts of stages that require precision and timing... That would be terrible for 2 people to synchronize to be able to proceed.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 07:46:29 AM
Metal Slug X.

Oh, wait, they already made a Metal Slug X, never mind.

(Metal Slug ZX?)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 04:34:55 PM
I would imagine something similar to Contra for a MegaMan Co-Op, but I'd be interested none the less. Though, I dread the parts of stages that require precision and timing... That would be terrible for 2 people to synchronize to be able to proceed.

after playing a fair share of LittleBigPlanet, i can see what you mean. but it's usually nothing going one at a time can't fix.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 08:14:15 PM

I remebered Contra like.. 10 minutes after I posted that. Punched myself in the face seeing as I own the original god damn Contra for the NES

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 09:07:10 PM
Not that Contra-style wouldn't suffice, but I suppose I'm the ONLY person who's played Brawl's adventure mode in 2-player?  Then there's always the Sonic/Tails style, which could useful for introducing a n00b friend.

Not to mention the whole thing would be a nonissue on a handheld (ZX, Xtreme3).  Something akin to New Super Mario Bros. versus mode, except you know, not versus, would be awesome.

The only problem would be actual traversing of the stages. I can't even think of a good example of a platforming co-op game.
Besides all of the above-mentioned, get equipped with Joe & Mac (SNES).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 11:28:42 PM
Not that Contra-style wouldn't suffice, but I suppose I'm the ONLY person who's played Brawl's adventure mode in 2-player?  Then there's always the Sonic/Tails style, which could useful for introducing a n00b friend.

i wouldn't like those options because the 2nd player takes a lesser role in the gameplay than P1. in Contra, on the other hand, all players are treated equal.

which reminds me. co-op games such as this need to get rid of the restriction of both players to the same screen. that was one of my gripes with Contra 4.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 12:08:28 AM
Indeed. I can't stand split-screens.

All the more reason this co-op game should be a handheld. If Capcom didn't want to do Xtreme3, then they could make ZX3 and you choose Vent/Ashe or Aile/Grey.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 02:21:18 AM
i wouldn't like those options because the 2nd player takes a lesser role in the gameplay than P1. in Contra, on the other hand, all players are treated equal.
In Smash the second player is just as key to the gameplay (barring the occasional forced color-change of the same character).  They take damage, their lives detract from the same stock.  The teleport option is only there so that leaving the screen due to 1st player movement doesn't mean death.

I agree with the whole handheld shpiel, though.  But ideally, I don't want to see a co-op feature vetoed on the sole grounds of whether or not a game is a console title.  The X-series is perhaps one of the best suited for co-op, and the only time it goes to handheld is for side games.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 05:35:38 AM
According to Capcom's third quarter Q&A session, the company is looking at the possibility of increasing their Nintendo DS support, releasing more games that don't bare the title of Ace Attorney:

"One of our leading titles is ‘Monster Hunter 3 (tri-).’ If we can gain recognition of this product in the European and North American markets, our market strategy will see a noticeable change. Meanwhile, we are reviewing the possibility of releasing new titles besides ‘Ace Attorney’ for Nintendo DS.”

Here it comes, HERE IT COMES, HERE IT COMES! Co-op Mega Man game for the DS!

...although it'll probably be a feature of their new "Shin Rockman" or whatever the new EXE/Ryuusei flavor of the minute happens to be.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #40 on: February 27, 2009, 07:32:35 AM
A Co-Op Mega Man game would be fun, but I doubt it is possible as a 2d platforming game. I mean, how would screen transitions work? would both players need to be touching the door to open it? Would both players need to be on the top of the ladder to make the screen scroll up?
Would it be 2 players 1 screen ala DKC, or 2 split screen action? How would the pause menu work? One for both players, or each their own weapons menu?

So many ways.  X(

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: February 27, 2009, 11:52:45 PM
The fact that there are so many doesn't make it impossible.  It just means they have to pick one.

Nothing since the NES does vertical screen transitions, so that's only applicable in the context of a WiiWare MM10 or something.  Even so, it'd still be manageable.  If worst came to worst and two guys on a ladder was deemed too clunky, suggestive, or whatever, then Beat could always carry the second player.  Something like that would probably be needed for a downward vertical transition anyway.

Who here remembers Toejam & Earl?  Remember how the elevator only worked with both characters (unless you fell to a lower level than the other player)?  Remember how you start single-screen but the game would split-screen when you separated, and re-merge itself when you joined up again?

If game-devs could do all of that on the Genesis seventeen years ago, they can DAMN WELL make two guys walk through a door today.

Oh yeah, and I thought of yet another co-op side-scroller to get equipped with: Ren & Stimpy Time Warp (SNES).

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: February 28, 2009, 03:14:58 AM
They could even copy-paste Kirby Superstar/Ultra.

Instead of A making you appear (or stay) behind 1P as a star, it'd be the Biometal you're using at the time. Or you could just teleport down.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: March 01, 2009, 12:31:59 AM
My only issues? Making sure that such a game is balanced for both co-op, as well as single-player.

As great as a number of Co-op games, past and present, are, some among that number started to falter a bit when you just wanted to go it alone, for one or several reasons. Some of these same types of gripes even apply to RE5, based on what some impressions I've heard/read...

[spoiler]...especially when it comes to the final boss fight, which turns into more of a chore than the dynamic finish it probably should have been. But that's for another time and post...[/spoiler]

So, while I'd like to see such a thing happen to a Rockman game, I'm still wary of the notion that, in efforts of trying their damndest to focus on co-op, the single-player component (which should STILL be the bread-n-butter of any action-platformer Rockman game) suffers on the other end. And I wouldn't want that, either.

...Still, such a prospect, like being able to create your own "Rockman" avatar, and then team up to clean house with your partner? That WOULD be nice...if thought out correctly.

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: March 21, 2009, 11:54:37 PM
So, while I'd like to see such a thing happen to a Rockman game, I'm still wary of the notion that, in efforts of trying their damndest to focus on co-op, the single-player component (which should STILL be the bread-n-butter of any action-platformer Rockman game) suffers on the other end. And I wouldn't want that, either.

ditto...except for the "like to see" part, I can't really picture a megaman game with a Co-op mode. Course, if someone does make one, I'd like to play it might self to see if it's actually a good idea or not.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: March 22, 2009, 01:21:36 AM

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: March 22, 2009, 01:34:45 AM

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: March 22, 2009, 04:41:51 AM
So far as I'm concerned there's no reason they cannot balance for single-player with the second player being merely an option.  So what if the game is a bit easier?  Besides, X-series games include difficulty settings these days, so it's really no biggie.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 06:55:39 AM
Yeah, beat-'em-ups with co-op often add extra opponents or make the opponents stronger to balance out the extra players.  And co-operation is common in beat-'em-ups because there's not as much of an issue of players getting in each others' way or not progressing at the same rate.  Well, I guess it's common in a lot of arcade games, since they would want players to be able to join in freely throughout the games.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: March 24, 2009, 09:23:53 AM
In this day and age, Capcom can come up with SOMETHING to make a good co-op Mega Man game. The only question is, what series?