Rock Miyabi's 2009 Valentine's Day Contest

Rock Miyabi · 15823

Offline Rock Miyabi

• THE ORIGINAL Jammin' Ninja
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
on: December 28, 2008, 07:51:10 AM
Third time’s a charm? Yes, I’m at it for another year, even after doing that sports contest this summer. Although I am a little delayed in writing up the rules, so there won’t be as much time until the deadline, it’s time for my annual Valentine’s Day Contest!! 0v0

Once again, my contest is open to anyone who would like to enter. That’s why this block of text is shamelessly pasted on all the usual forums.

PRIZES:

I’ll be rolling the dice again and letting our winners choose what item/items they would like me to buy, within a certain price limit. Now I’ve always tried to emphasize Rockman-related prizes, as this is the Rockman community and a Rockman-themed contest after all. And I still do prefer that people would ask for something related. But I will say now I might be willing to allow any anime/game related item that I could purchase online and get shipped to you easily. I’d just rather it be Rockman-related.

I have no prize in my hands right now, so you're entering to get something YOU really want. Again, if it was some item that’d be hard for me to purchase, I might have to ask you for a second or third choice. But as long as it's reasonable, I will do what I can.

As usual, if anyone does have something to offer, I most definitely won't turn them away. I’ve been extremely grateful for all the things people have donated in my previous 3 contests, and your generosity is what makes this even more fun to me. Top 3 will win something, prices to be determined. But if it’s like last year, 1st will be about $40 or less, 2nd will be $25 or less, and 3rd will be $15 or less.

RULES:

I’m going to go back to two categories this year. You are allowed to enter in both if you would like. The first one will be most similar to my other V-Day contests. Fanart through and through.

Since it is Rockman’s 21st birthday and he’s legal now, the theme is…Rockman visits his first strip club! 8D
I kid, I kid. Even though I know some of you would rather that be the theme.

This year’s theme is…

CATEGORY 1: LOVE HURTS! (love scars, love wounds, and marks. Ooooh~ooh, love hurts. [guitar solo])

Hey, Valentine’s Day isn’t all lovey-dovey for some of us. So it’s time to lower my standards and make this theme depressing…in the funnest way imaginable.

Your objective in this category is to draw one or more characters completing a sinister plan, disrupting, ruining or breaking up a date/tender moment between two other characters. Maybe your "villain" has stolen the love interest away from your "hero," leaving a good guy with a crushed heart. Or even worse, maybe somebody's cheating on someone! :O

If there’s one thing we know about our Rockman villains, it’s that they never give up in their quest to ruin our hero’s life. To pretend to quote the great Dr. Albert Wily, “If I can’t have a romantic evening, nobody else should! MWAHAHAHA!” This category is all about broken hearts.

Only submit your own work, as usual. Any character, major or minor, from any series is allowed. Having characters from multiple series is totally allowed. Again, to be fair to all, same-gender groupings are allowed. Humans and robots and reploids and servbots and computer programs and viruses and alien AM/FM beings, etc. all deserve their chance for some lovin', without prejudice!!

As judges, we will be looking at the creativity, humor and effort behind your piece. We shall do our best not to judge merely by one's artistic skill. Entries do not need to be colored, but it is preferred.

Category two is a little different. There are always people complaining they can’t draw and want to participate, or just don’t like the typical fanart only-theme. So I’m meeting you halfway, kinda. It’ll still take some effort, but you don’t have to draw anything. The objective of this category is simple, and not as dark as the other category.

CATEGORY 2: Create a Rockman-themed Valentine’s Day card for someone.

It can be an original piece of fanart, if you want. It could just be official art with some thoughtful text. So if you can slap together a signature for your profile here, you can throw something together in card form easy. It can be totally cheesier than any of those boxes of cards you bought to give out to everyone at school. It can be funny, serious, heartfelt, for someone you really love, or for someone you are just friends with; in real life or online. It just has to have some kind of Rockman character, item or lingo on it.

Only catch is you seriously have to give it to someone on Valentine’s Day. Or maybe multiple people if you want. Show someone you appreciate them. Unlike the other category, there will be no judging on these. Everyone who enters this category will have their name entered into a drawing, and the three names I pick will win a prize. (Don’t expect me to spend as much on prizes in this category, though, hate to tell ya. You‘re looking at like $5-10 on all three winners.)

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:

Entries can either be e-mailed to me at rock2125[at]hotmail[dot]com or you can just PM me a link to your pic.

DO NOT post your pic for the “Love Hurts” category in this thread, in your fanart threads or dA/Sheezy/etc. galleries until the contest is over. This is the fairest way for competitive reasons. I prefer to keep them all secret until the deadline has passed.

For the “Valentine’s Card” category, you are free to post that whenever and wherever you please before the deadline.

I'll edit a confirmed entry list in this thread when I receive them. So you won't be in the dark about whether or not I've received your entry.

DEADLINE:

The deadline for this contest will be Friday, February 13th, by midnight CST.

MISCELLANEOUS INFO:

- I still haven‘t had time to edit in the sports contest entries onto my crappy freewebs site, but one of these days I will. It‘s my only option because I‘m not one of these cool kids with their own site. So sue me. If you still care to see old entries, go here:

http://www.freewebs.com/rockmiyabi/

- As usual, If you don't plan to enter, but would like to help me judge, please let me know through PM or mention so in this thread. Thanks to all my usual judges, and I’ll gladly let you help with it again if you’re willing. If you are going to judge, you can’t enter Category 1. But I’m fine with judges entering Category 2, FYI.

So, if you have any questions, feel free to let me know. Join in if you'd like and good luck to everyone who enters!

Current Judge Panel:
- Rock Miyabi (A lot of places, "Don‘t you want me, ba~by? Dontcha want me…")
- Protoman Blues (RPM, "Love shack, baby love shack...")
- Unknown Neo (REO, "The loo~ve boat promises something for everyone...")
- Dr. Wily II (RPM, "She blinded me with science! And hit me with technology...")
- Yllisos Zanon (RPM, "You're as cold as ice. You're willing to sacrifice our love...")
- linkfreak131 (REO, "Insert another love-ish song here")

Confirmed Entries:
Category 1 (Love Hurts) ~
- Sky Child (RPM) 1/6/09
- Ian (TMMN) 1/17/09
- Blaze7the7Cat (dA) 1/27/09
- Mona Risa (REO, dA) 2/6/09
- Tabby (TMMN, etc.) 2/8/09
- PressStart (TMMN) 2/12/09
- marihikari (REO, dA) 2/13/09
- Shinichameleon/Nayim 2/13/09
- Dracozombie (dA) 2/14/09

Category 2 (V-Day card) ~
- Sky Child (RPM) 1/16/09
Front, Inside, Back
- Tabby (TMMN, etc.) 2/8/09
- PressStart (TMMN) 2/12/09
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:26:44 AM by Rock Miyabi »

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 07:53:34 AM
Ooooh, can I judge again this year?  I love Judging these events!   8D

Offline Rock Miyabi

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 07:55:41 AM
Yessir, adding you now.  :V

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 07:59:18 AM
"I'm just a Love Machine.  And I don't work for nobody but you!"   8D

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 08:04:33 AM
It's that time of the year again? XD

So...
What's the job scope like for a judge?

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Rock Miyabi

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 08:27:56 AM
I send you the entry links after the deadline. You rate them from your fave to your least fave in numerical order. Comment on your Top 3 if you can. You PM that stuff to me. I tabulate everyone's and post results.

Hard, hard job. You'll be working 50 hours a week just to prepare. 8D

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 08:32:32 AM
OH MY GOD!
50 hours per week!?
WHERE DO I FIND THE TIME!?
I think I can manage. XD

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 09:10:21 AM
Hmm... Villains, love, Love wounds... heartbreak... i think I've actually got an idea...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 10:49:09 AM
Hmm... Sounds tempting. I might just enter this year, even if my artistic abilities are the result of Lim(x) when X drifts towards Zero. [/math geek] :P

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 10:57:12 AM
Does Sprite art count?

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 08:00:03 PM
Valentine's Day,  the one holiday out of the whole year I truely hate.  Rock Miyabi, as much as I would like to draw a picture of Fire Man torching some 'secret admirers' flowers.  I do want to get involved in judging.  I want to see if anyone can create a picture on how much I hate the holiday.

Trust Me, when I say, you won't find a better judge for this contest.

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline Rock Miyabi

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 12:18:07 AM
Alright, so it sounds like both Doc and Yllisos want in, so I'll add you both to the judges list. Already up to 5 total, and RPM'ers dominate, so I'll have to cut off anyone who is just a regular here from asking to help judge anymore.

Does Sprite art count?
For Category 1, I have to say no. While I understand you might be able to create your own sprites from scratch and make a nice pic that way, chances are if I allowed sprites, I'd just get tweaked official sprites as entries. So I have every intention of keeping that fanart only.

For Category 2, yeah, you can use whatever medium you want, and it doesn't have to be your own artwork/spritework/etc. That's why I said if you can make a sig real quick, you can slap some humorous or lovey-dovey, sexcellent text over an image and submit it. Simple objective without you needing to pour hours of work into creating. This category is more about participation rather than effort, but I'd love to see people put some serious effort into their designs/layouts. It's more of a fun homage to those lamely awesome boxes of cards all the kids get and give in school. And just to give 3 people something for publicly showing they appreciate somebody out there. As much as the holiday can suck for people who don't have a significant other, just that simple gesture can make someone feel better. V-Day isn't about true love only.

I hate you, Miyabi.
I hate you and your beautiful art too, Asena.  >U<

Offline Asvel

• Erasurehead
  • Resistance Member
  • It's always '80s week when I'm around
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 12:21:55 AM
I very vaguely think I just might enter. I've got a good idea this time.

Btw, can we enter both categories or just one?

She loves the night and all that glitters
Her name in lights across the city
Don't you mess your life up Sunday girl

~Erasure

Offline Rock Miyabi

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 12:26:38 AM
Btw, can we enter both categories or just one?
RULES:
I’m going to go back to two categories this year. You are allowed to enter in both if you would like.
I know, I write too much in these explanations... ???

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 12:31:33 AM
Another contest for me to lose~

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 02:01:31 PM
I may enter If I get a picture done.
My strategy consists of hoping there will be so few participants I'll win by default.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 05:44:45 AM
I think I have an idea lined up for it now, so there's a 85% chance that you'll be getting an entry from me within the next week.

Offline Rock Miyabi

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 06:21:29 AM
No hurry, Sky. You've still got over a month. Let's not repeat last year's confusion and have you feel like you rushed it.

And Asena, you drew something like two days ago, so quit your lies and join!!! If you can't draw one thing in a month and a half, you're worse than me. :P XD

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 06:25:52 AM
I think it's hilarious that our deadline is Friday the 13th. XD

Offline Rock Miyabi

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 06:29:01 AM
Also why my main theme this year is not so much about love, but more about the bad luck of broken hearts. I thought the irony was just too great. There actually is some thought into my changing themes each year, believe it or not. XD

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 07:07:39 AM
I think it's hilarious that our deadline is Friday the 13th. XD

I believe a Friday the 13th movie is coming out this year, I saw posters at a local movie theater.  Rock Miyabi, I'm looking at you, did you see a poster as well.   [eyebrow]

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 03:17:16 AM
Oh my god, my entry is coming along so awesomely I had to pseudo-necro post to tell you guys about it. I have a feeling I'll do better this year. If not then I won't care, because this is a highly enjoyable drawgasm.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 03:21:07 AM
Now you make me curious Sky, can't wait how will it end up.  XD

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 06:11:27 AM
I have the PERFECT idea for the card contest too, and I sent my entry for the main contest a little while ago so I could focus on other things.

But I'm having too much fun to stop now, and since we're allowed to post the card here, you guys will see it later.

After that... I'll still be doing art elsewhere because I'm like a jack rabbit on cocaine right now.

Offline Rock Miyabi

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 06:40:36 AM
Nothing wrong with pseudo-necroposting. Saves me from being the one doing it to keep it fresh in people's minds. bVd

Sky wins the first entry award. Added to the confirmed list. And only I know how it ended up! >BD

And PS - No, I did not see any Friday the 13th posters. I haven't been to a theater since Tropic Thunder was at the $3 theater, so it's kinda been a while. As I said before, I actually do put some thought into these themes that don't have any other random connections.