Zan's stuff

Zan · 34707

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: May 09, 2010, 06:34:18 PM
Of course.

Now for some alternate palettes, since the style reminds me of Melty Blood some.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: May 10, 2010, 02:40:56 PM

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: May 13, 2010, 03:18:06 AM
Third palette looks a little flat, I think there might not be enough contrast in the purple.

Anyway:

http://yinlunghuang.deviantart.com/art/Nox-Libarian-of-Shadows-95144723

Offline blackbeltdude

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: May 15, 2010, 07:16:30 AM
Third palette looks a little flat, I think there might not be enough contrast in the purple.

Anyway:

http://yinlunghuang.deviantart.com/art/Nox-Libarian-of-Shadows-95144723

I agree. ;P I'd go as so far to say that the blue doesn't have quite enough contrast either; there's just so much in the white's palette that it seems like a more obvious issue than it really is.

As for this newest sprite; I don't get why you're not using pure black. You're basically using it, so why not? I know you run into issues with transparency, but that doesn't ever stop game companies from using it themselves. I'd also say that using that much of the darkest black for the dress makes her lower body look flat, since you don't do that anywhere else. I think it can be a really effective shading method if you're consistent with it, but right now, it just draws your attention right to her lower body.

I think her face is kind too round/chubby as well. Especially compared to the referenced art, where the face to hair ratio is different. Granted, it is your character. :P And speaking of the hair, you might want to add more contrast to the browns; the highlights are pretty tame (second to lightest shade might as well not be there).

I also don't really like the effect in her hand... I think you've got too many colors in there, and the palette is pretty close to her own. I would put fewer shades in there, and make it a bit more spastic looking. Since it isn't animated, for it to be effective, I think I should be able to look and it and see it move in my head. It looks too compact with detail that I can't see it happening; it isn't dynamic enough.

For the shoulders, I think the highlights would be better on the rim/edges of her decorations. That would define the lines and shapes there a bit better. The art defined them as having sides, and I think the sprite gives them more of a cone impression.

I'm not sure if that's the most effective way to pixel HER right hand either... that's really something that could just be played with.

And in general, I think you made her clothes look kind of thick; that issue really shows up in the collar.

Now the sprite you posted before this one, the one where the girl is laying down, I like that one a lot. The expression is nice, and I really dig the form of the upper body. I don't so much like the dress though. I would recommend looking at some Renaissance paintings, because I know that there's tons of poses similar to that one floating around (as to if they're wearing a dress, I dunno). In general though, I don't think there's enough folds going on; I don't get the idea of depth and shadow like I do when I look at the rest of her body.

I think my favorite part of this one is the flow of the hair; it works great with the highlights too.

I feel all nostalgic posting up a wall of crit. :P You outta post some animations ya know; you've been doing these single poses for these ladies for quite a while now!

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: May 15, 2010, 04:34:57 PM
Especially compared to the referenced art

One big problem I ran into making these is that the art drawn by Yin/Sophiera has several stylistic differences compared to my own work. I don't mind these little differences, but at times I've changed them back to how I originally had it.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g295/ZanSidera/NoxFinal2.gif

To name a few changes I made between the reference and the sprite:
-Nox's face was made more pale (and chubbier)
-The complicated shape of Nox's shoulders.
-The way Nox and Vipera's 'vests' are shaded based on material. (Which probably results in the thickness of Nox's clothes)
-The length of Vipera's 'vest'.
-Changing Vipera's pose a bit because the dress isn't that wide.

As you might have noticed as well, the references are cut off at the feet. Something the sprite format didn't permit. Some changes were done because of that as well. Especially with Sententia, I originally tried to use the non-wide dress I had originally designed, but ended up using the wider dress Yin drew because it just worked out better for the pose.

As for this newest sprite; I don't get why you're not using pure black. You're basically using it, so why not? I know you run into issues with transparency, but that doesn't ever stop game companies from using it themselves. I'd also say that using that much of the darkest black for the dress makes her lower body look flat, since you don't do that anywhere else. I think it can be a really effective shading method if you're consistent with it, but right now, it just draws your attention right to her lower body.

I'll be honest and say that I have absolutely no idea of how the folds would fall, otherwise I would have just shaded it with less dark black.

I also don't really like the effect in her hand... I think you've got too many colors in there, and the palette is pretty close to her own. I would put fewer shades in there, and make it a bit more spastic looking. Since it isn't animated, for it to be effective, I think I should be able to look and it and see it move in my head. It looks too compact with detail that I can't see it happening; it isn't dynamic enough.

I reckon that it probably should be bigger, ignoring the size ratio in the reference, and just going with whatever size is best displayed in sprite format. As is often done in games.

I would recommend looking at some Renaissance paintings, because I know that there's tons of poses similar to that one floating around

I actually looked around quite a bit for references on folds for that pose. Couldn't find any, even though it's such a classic pose...

You outta post some animations ya know; you've been doing these single poses for these ladies for quite a while now!

The sprites I post here are the times when I decide to sprite something that I "can" show to others. Just enjoy the dancing monkey in my signature for now.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #130 on: May 15, 2010, 11:42:53 PM
*mesmerized by Data*

You can't help but dance along! *starts dancing*

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: June 03, 2010, 08:21:11 PM
Something a bit different:

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: June 03, 2010, 08:24:50 PM
Lovely. How long did it take to do?

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:02 PM
Judging from my computer times, a little over 4 hours whilst being heavily preoccupied with other matters.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: June 03, 2010, 09:10:01 PM
Oh yeah, that´s the way I sprite too :D

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: June 06, 2010, 03:09:55 AM
Adding adult version, twin sister and alternate expression:

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: June 10, 2010, 09:00:55 PM
Happy Sententia is a horrible horrible lie.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: August 08, 2010, 10:21:30 PM

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #138 on: August 09, 2010, 10:44:33 AM
Something seemed very strange about it as a FE portrait, but I couldn't figure out what at first.

Then I realized it's because of the brown hair.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: August 09, 2010, 07:02:13 PM
Yeah, it should have been like, blue, or something.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: August 09, 2010, 09:38:22 PM
Yus.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: August 09, 2010, 10:37:05 PM
Fixed.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: August 10, 2010, 07:05:32 AM
Yeah, it should have been like, blue, or something.
Wait I thought that the hair was always brown, or at least the last time I saw a similar one of it.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: August 10, 2010, 02:48:41 PM
The character's hair is brown, it's just that Fire Emblem loves crazy hair colors.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: August 10, 2010, 11:23:12 PM
Specifically, there's pretty much not one character with realistic hair colour like brown. There may be blondes, I don't remember exactly.

EDIT: Yeah, there's a few there with normal hair colour (Leaf, main character of Thracia 776, has brown).

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: December 11, 2010, 06:12:27 PM

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #146 on: December 12, 2010, 02:32:01 AM
That's pretty nice. The blue/purple(?) tone inbetween the light and dark tones in her right breast stands out a bit imo

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: December 14, 2010, 02:20:22 AM
It stands out because that's the darkest shade in the set, meant for lines, which this one depicts the breast shape.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #148 on: December 14, 2010, 02:46:55 AM
But it doesn't stand out in a good way. Both the red and the blue have very similar color values, so there isn't enough contrast between. Also, it doesn't help to put a cold line inbetween the red tones, so the line looks actually brighter than it really is. Besides, he's already giving the shape to the breast with the red shading.
It would look better without that line imo. Just my two cents.