GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 209208

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #625 on: September 15, 2010, 08:44:55 PM
I think it has a lot to do with his level of power and not exactly knowing what to do with the character.

This is where I hope Geoff Geoff's in and fixes that! XD
Uncle Johns is gonna fix it right. Heck, Green Lantern's power is also questionable, but Geoff made it reasoneable.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #626 on: September 15, 2010, 08:51:54 PM
Also made the Speed Force even more awesome!

He's great!  8D

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #627 on: September 15, 2010, 09:02:20 PM
Also made the Speed Force even more awesome!

He's great!  8D
Yeah, although the "Barry Allen made me the Flash" thing was a bit too much. >_>;;;

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #628 on: September 15, 2010, 09:03:36 PM
Heh, I kinda liked that! XD

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #629 on: September 15, 2010, 09:04:57 PM
Yeah, but one thing Johns does, is that he kinda overhypes certain characters a bit. =P

While GL: Rebirth kept getting more and more awesome, Flash: Rebirth got to the epitome of awesome at the end of the 4th issue, and then it got boring.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #630 on: September 15, 2010, 09:09:34 PM
I disagree. I thought it was great the whole way through, with all the Flashes coming together, the resolution with the twins, and so on! XD

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #631 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:01 PM
I thought it was bad due to two things.

Zoom retconning Barry's past by being to blame for EVERYTHING EVER.
The conclusion coming so fast, without any kind of fight or any kind of conflict, them just leading him into the machine was VERY anticlimatic.

Do you remember the ending of GL: Rebirth? The fight with Sinestro, the way the oath was said in that big splash page, the comebacks, the way "Give up God damn you." "I don't know how" caused manly tears?

Flash Rebirth was a disappointment mostly because of the constant delays, and the fact that Van Sciver's art doesn't just fit in everything, to be honest. The last few pages don't give a very good impression and seem rushed.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #632 on: September 15, 2010, 10:48:11 PM
I do think that Van Sciver's art is better suited for GL than Flash, but I thought it was done well.  I agree that the ending art could've been better. The art in the current comic though is fantastic.

To be honest, I really liked the Zoom aspect to Barry's life. It's unique, it's downright [tornado fang]ing twisted, and it's a new take on evil & villainy that's never really been explored before, I think ever.  Yeah, the ending was very anti-climatic and fast, but it didn't really bother me due to the overall quality of the rest of the series, IMO. The ending still gave me the same GL: Rebirth feeling in the end that Geoff Johns was about to craft a whole new direction and universe for the characters.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #633 on: September 15, 2010, 11:09:54 PM
I understand. BTW, allow me to post something which has really explained the way I feel about that ever-recurring subject here in this topic. I read this on /co/, and it seemed pretty fit for this.

"1995 was not a particularly good year. Sixth grade and the onset of puberty are difficult enough for the average twelve year-old boy, let alone a friendless one with Tourette Syndrome and an unfailing ability to alienate everyone around him. I suppose that is why, in the midst of the much-derided “Clone Saga,” that I began a life-long love affair with comic books, and with the Amazing Spider-Man in particular. In Peter Parker, I found a sort of salvation. Here was a man who was hopelessly at odds with the world around him, completely consumed by the weight of his own guilt. Nevertheless, he was a man who fought endlessly to protect those unable to protect themselves, and who went home every night to a woman whose physical beauty was matched only by the depths of compassion and love in her soul.

I cannot overstate how much that meant to me; a role model, however fictional, who suffered the same ostracism at the hands of his peers as I did mine, but who eventually grew out of it. He gained the respect of his classmates, the friendship of his high school nemesis, and the love of a beautiful woman. In short, he went through hell and came out on top. Granted, he would occasionally deal with minor setbacks (being framed for murder, thinking he was a clone, John Byrne), but he always rose above it all. Your time is too valuable to be spent reading yet another diatribe against the editorial decision to allow Peter Parker (the man who could not bring himself to kill the arch-enemy who both knew his secret identity and who had casually extinguished the life of his first great love) make a deal with the Marvel analogue of Satan. Far too much has already been written about “One More Day,” from CAPITAL LETTER RANTS penned by John Q. Fanboy to articles by commentators far more eloquent than I. No, instead, I thought I might offer a slightly more personal reflection on the controversy, especially in light of the recently concluded “One Moment in Time.”

Peter Parker has always been a uniquely organic character within the framework of the greater Marvel Universe. He graduated high school and fell in love, only to have both his heart and the metaphorical innocence of the silver age of comics ripped violently away. A character that had been previously written as little more than a “party-girl” foil for the sainted Gwen Stacy ended up pulling him back from the well of his grief. Peter and Mary Jane fell in love, only for the uncertainty of youth to pull them apart. Our hero tried his luck with a romance based on the mask rather than the man, yet found himself inexorably pulled back to Mary Jane Watson. Shortly thereafter, they married. Mary Jane was a woman who, unlike dear Gwen, knew of Peter’s double life and loved him all the more for it. Peter replaced self-aggrandizing photography (a holdover from Ditko’s interest in Randian philosophy that was always in tension with Peter’s role as a hero) with the selfless life of a teacher. Finally, he shattered the mold of the “loser loner” with his acceptance into the lofty ranks of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. In short, he grew up.

As my adolescent life became increasingly unappealing, I found myself escaping more and more into the life of Peter Parker. It did not matter if the stories were “Marvel Tales” reprints, new issues bearing a hefty $1.50 cover price, or those rare, musty gems that were stumbled upon during a treasured Saturday at the comic shop while my long- suffering father waited patiently in the car grading papers. Every outlet into the world of Peter Parker was a lifeline; every glimpse of that world was a sign from God that if I refused to surrender to the contempt of my peers and my own self-loathing, I would make it through the day. I would end up a winner, like Peter.

In first college and then law school, I found life changed more suddenly and dramatically than I would have thought possible. Although I still don’t quite understand how it happened, I found my Tourette Syndrome under control and women showing an interest in me. Where before I was literally without a friend in the world, I now had the enviable task of choosing which group of friends with which I would spend my evening. At the same time, JMS and Mark Millar were masterfully writing tales of Peter and Mary Jane Watson Parker as mature and grounded late 20-somethings who triumphed over the trials life put in their way by drawing on their love for each other. All was right with the world.

When “One More Day” hit the stands, I was not particularly bothered by it on an emotional level. While I was disgusted over the decision to end the marriage in the hopes of making Peter more marketable (It is no coincidence that sales plummeted when “Brand New Day” reduced Peter to a pathetic hard-luck loser just as they did when John Byrne had Peter sleeping on the streets), the methodology was so mind-numbingly absurd that it failed to elicit emotion reaction.

However, where “One More Day” failed to weigh on my mind, “One Moment In Time” has succeeded in leaving an indelible scar on my soul. Please, do not think me prone to hyperbole, but that storyline has legitimately made me question the passion for comic books that I have had for the majority of my 27 years on this Earth.

Where J.M. DeMatteis’ magnum Spider-Man opus “The Gift” (Amazing Spider-Man #400) celebrated the indefatigable bonds of love between Peter, Mary Jane and May Parker, “One Moment in Time” reduced them to a maudlin caricature of what had gone before. I am not going to rehash the plot points of “One Moment in Time,” as I assume anyone who has actually read this far into this self -indulgent little essay has a general familiarity with what occurred. Suffice to say, the wedding never happened, and at story’s end, Mary Jane “frees” Peter from the “burden” of their failed relationship.

The personal poignancy of the story is made all the worse by recent events in my own life as (knock on wood) I have found my own happy ending. I am practicing law by day, while spending my nights and weekends with my own, personal Mary Jane Watson.

For three years now, I have been blessed with the love of one of those beautiful “popular girls,” something I would have thought impossible in high school. Imagine, then, my difficulty in reading a story where, in Peter Parker’s post- Faustian world, his once greatest source of strength has been perverted into a burden. Apparently, Peter need no longer feel guilty when he has drunken one-night stands, let alone casual sex with two woman in the space of five issues (Yes, this actually happened in a Spider-Man comic).

As I come to a close, I am reminded of Alan Moore’s message to comic book readers while writing as Dan Dreiberg. He tells us that we must never fall into the trap of letting habit replace passion. While my love for stories like “Kraven’s Last Hunt,” “The Child Within,” and Mark Millar’s nameless run on Marvel Knight’s Spider-Man will never fade, my passion for the ongoing adventures of Peter Parker has been replaced with the monotonous habit of reading comic books for the sake of reading comic books. I began this essay with a quote that I now return to now.

“Today. Today. My best friend. The best person I’ve ever known-set me free.” During what I can only pray was the darkest period of my life, Peter Parker was my best friend. I grew up with him, and now it is time to say goodbye. In a sense, he was the best person I have ever known, and with the conclusion of “One Moment in Time,” he has set me free."

It is quite well-written. And I feel the same way. I read alot of Spidey growing up, and to see this set in words... I think this last comic made alot of fans realise how much this means. It means they're free. No need to keep following something they really shouldn't look forward to. No sense to keep reading garbage simply due to force of habit. This is good.

I pretty much know that... if I EVER read a Marvel Spider-Man comic again, it won't be for a long, long time.

...newspaper strip still rules. Go Stan!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #634 on: September 16, 2010, 12:01:49 AM
The only Spider Man I keep up with is the Newspaper strip one. But it goes all week, and I only get the paper sundays so I miss out on a lot.

Also, the Phantom. Thats still Weekly, and still awesome. Every sunday paper, I look forward to the Phantom to balance out all the typical Sunday funnies humor.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #635 on: September 16, 2010, 01:52:39 AM
I understand. BTW, allow me to post something which has really explained the way I feel about that ever-recurring subject here in this topic. I read this on /co/, and it seemed pretty fit for this.

"1995 was not a particularly good year. Sixth grade and the onset of puberty are difficult enough for the average twelve year-old boy, let alone a friendless one with Tourette Syndrome and an unfailing ability to alienate everyone around him. I suppose that is why, in the midst of the much-derided “Clone Saga,” that I began a life-long love affair with comic books, and with the Amazing Spider-Man in particular. In Peter Parker, I found a sort of salvation. Here was a man who was hopelessly at odds with the world around him, completely consumed by the weight of his own guilt. Nevertheless, he was a man who fought endlessly to protect those unable to protect themselves, and who went home every night to a woman whose physical beauty was matched only by the depths of compassion and love in her soul.

I cannot overstate how much that meant to me; a role model, however fictional, who suffered the same ostracism at the hands of his peers as I did mine, but who eventually grew out of it. He gained the respect of his classmates, the friendship of his high school nemesis, and the love of a beautiful woman. In short, he went through hell and came out on top. Granted, he would occasionally deal with minor setbacks (being framed for murder, thinking he was a clone, John Byrne), but he always rose above it all. Your time is too valuable to be spent reading yet another diatribe against the editorial decision to allow Peter Parker (the man who could not bring himself to kill the arch-enemy who both knew his secret identity and who had casually extinguished the life of his first great love) make a deal with the Marvel analogue of Satan. Far too much has already been written about “One More Day,” from CAPITAL LETTER RANTS penned by John Q. Fanboy to articles by commentators far more eloquent than I. No, instead, I thought I might offer a slightly more personal reflection on the controversy, especially in light of the recently concluded “One Moment in Time.”

Peter Parker has always been a uniquely organic character within the framework of the greater Marvel Universe. He graduated high school and fell in love, only to have both his heart and the metaphorical innocence of the silver age of comics ripped violently away. A character that had been previously written as little more than a “party-girl” foil for the sainted Gwen Stacy ended up pulling him back from the well of his grief. Peter and Mary Jane fell in love, only for the uncertainty of youth to pull them apart. Our hero tried his luck with a romance based on the mask rather than the man, yet found himself inexorably pulled back to Mary Jane Watson. Shortly thereafter, they married. Mary Jane was a woman who, unlike dear Gwen, knew of Peter’s double life and loved him all the more for it. Peter replaced self-aggrandizing photography (a holdover from Ditko’s interest in Randian philosophy that was always in tension with Peter’s role as a hero) with the selfless life of a teacher. Finally, he shattered the mold of the “loser loner” with his acceptance into the lofty ranks of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. In short, he grew up.

As my adolescent life became increasingly unappealing, I found myself escaping more and more into the life of Peter Parker. It did not matter if the stories were “Marvel Tales” reprints, new issues bearing a hefty $1.50 cover price, or those rare, musty gems that were stumbled upon during a treasured Saturday at the comic shop while my long- suffering father waited patiently in the car grading papers. Every outlet into the world of Peter Parker was a lifeline; every glimpse of that world was a sign from God that if I refused to surrender to the contempt of my peers and my own self-loathing, I would make it through the day. I would end up a winner, like Peter.

In first college and then law school, I found life changed more suddenly and dramatically than I would have thought possible. Although I still don’t quite understand how it happened, I found my Tourette Syndrome under control and women showing an interest in me. Where before I was literally without a friend in the world, I now had the enviable task of choosing which group of friends with which I would spend my evening. At the same time, JMS and Mark Millar were masterfully writing tales of Peter and Mary Jane Watson Parker as mature and grounded late 20-somethings who triumphed over the trials life put in their way by drawing on their love for each other. All was right with the world.

When “One More Day” hit the stands, I was not particularly bothered by it on an emotional level. While I was disgusted over the decision to end the marriage in the hopes of making Peter more marketable (It is no coincidence that sales plummeted when “Brand New Day” reduced Peter to a pathetic hard-luck loser just as they did when John Byrne had Peter sleeping on the streets), the methodology was so mind-numbingly absurd that it failed to elicit emotion reaction.

However, where “One More Day” failed to weigh on my mind, “One Moment In Time” has succeeded in leaving an indelible scar on my soul. Please, do not think me prone to hyperbole, but that storyline has legitimately made me question the passion for comic books that I have had for the majority of my 27 years on this Earth.

Where J.M. DeMatteis’ magnum Spider-Man opus “The Gift” (Amazing Spider-Man #400) celebrated the indefatigable bonds of love between Peter, Mary Jane and May Parker, “One Moment in Time” reduced them to a maudlin caricature of what had gone before. I am not going to rehash the plot points of “One Moment in Time,” as I assume anyone who has actually read this far into this self -indulgent little essay has a general familiarity with what occurred. Suffice to say, the wedding never happened, and at story’s end, Mary Jane “frees” Peter from the “burden” of their failed relationship.

The personal poignancy of the story is made all the worse by recent events in my own life as (knock on wood) I have found my own happy ending. I am practicing law by day, while spending my nights and weekends with my own, personal Mary Jane Watson.

For three years now, I have been blessed with the love of one of those beautiful “popular girls,” something I would have thought impossible in high school. Imagine, then, my difficulty in reading a story where, in Peter Parker’s post- Faustian world, his once greatest source of strength has been perverted into a burden. Apparently, Peter need no longer feel guilty when he has drunken one-night stands, let alone casual sex with two woman in the space of five issues (Yes, this actually happened in a Spider-Man comic).

As I come to a close, I am reminded of Alan Moore’s message to comic book readers while writing as Dan Dreiberg. He tells us that we must never fall into the trap of letting habit replace passion. While my love for stories like “Kraven’s Last Hunt,” “The Child Within,” and Mark Millar’s nameless run on Marvel Knight’s Spider-Man will never fade, my passion for the ongoing adventures of Peter Parker has been replaced with the monotonous habit of reading comic books for the sake of reading comic books. I began this essay with a quote that I now return to now.

“Today. Today. My best friend. The best person I’ve ever known-set me free.” During what I can only pray was the darkest period of my life, Peter Parker was my best friend. I grew up with him, and now it is time to say goodbye. In a sense, he was the best person I have ever known, and with the conclusion of “One Moment in Time,” he has set me free."

It is quite well-written. And I feel the same way. I read alot of Spidey growing up, and to see this set in words... I think this last comic made alot of fans realise how much this means. It means they're free. No need to keep following something they really shouldn't look forward to. No sense to keep reading garbage simply due to force of habit. This is good.

I pretty much know that... if I EVER read a Marvel Spider-Man comic again, it won't be for a long, long time.

:'(

[tornado fang]ing beautiful and [tornado fang]ing tragic. He has pretty much stated exactly why I had such an issue with OMD, and why it's such a tragedy. This is PRECISELY why I always considered Peter Parker to be a hero to all nerds, more so than perhaps any other super-hero out there.

I am happy that this person found his Mary Jane, and I'm pretty sure he won't sell his love for her to Mephisto.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #636 on: September 16, 2010, 03:15:23 AM

QFT, man.

Did Joey Q forget that most of the comic's consumer base is aging nerds like us? If you ask me, the marriage was never the reason for declining sales it was a combination of horrid storytelling through the 90s and the fact that comic books have more competition now than there was when he was popping zits. There isn't really much I can add to that.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #637 on: September 16, 2010, 08:42:30 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if Joe "Quesadilla" was ever truly a nerd.  Perhaps he was a jock or a bully and therefore cannot seem to understand nerds.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #638 on: September 16, 2010, 08:51:29 AM
He's probably just a loser fanboy who had a certain vision of Spider-Man and didn't care anything about the character. Clearly.

Oh yeah, can you send me the link to that, Superbat?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #639 on: September 16, 2010, 10:09:05 AM
4chan, dude. /co/. It's gone, man.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #640 on: September 16, 2010, 08:16:26 PM
Ahhhh okay. Thanx.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #641 on: September 17, 2010, 08:23:57 PM
We have some awesome Multiversity news here. Morrison's gonna Morrison like he never Morrisoned before.

We thought it would be appropriate to re-think and update the kind of in-your-face self-relecting narrative techniques used by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons and to apply them to a whole new story which asks ‘what if Watchmen had been conceived now, in the contemporary political landscape and with the Charlton characters themselves, rather than analogues?

So the cover hs a close-up on a burning peace flag and a Delmore Schwartz quote – ‘Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn’ – and it all blossoms from there.

Oh, and if Alan Moore bitches about the lack of creativity at DC today, saying all stories have been his own stories remade...

They’re designed to be told over and over again. If you were an Aboriginal kid or a tribal shaman, that’s what you’d do, you’d participate in the recycling of old stories, the ‘revamping’ of characters and scenarios, the explaining away of plot holes. Some to the job with more skill than others, but if you work with Marvel, DC or other companies’ pulp fiction characters, you’re basically repainting pictures of the ancestors on cave walls.

Basically, [tornado fang] OFF, ALAN MOORE. MORRISON IS GOD OF COMICS NOW.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #642 on: September 17, 2010, 08:40:13 PM
Heh. Interesting indeed.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #643 on: September 17, 2010, 10:28:39 PM
Basically, [tornado fang] OFF, ALAN MOORE. MORRISON IS GOD OF COMICS NOW.

Come to think of it, has Alan Moore written anything of note over the past five years?

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #644 on: September 17, 2010, 10:42:06 PM
Come to think of it, has Alan Moore written anything of note over the past five years?

No, I'm pretty sure he's gone even further off the deep end.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #645 on: September 17, 2010, 10:59:18 PM
He's been degrading more and more every year.

In his last few moments of brilliance, he delivered epics like Tom Strong and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen while writing [parasitic bomb] like porn and zines.

...he hasn't produced something good since 2006 or so. League is recent, so I guess I dunno if that counts...

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #646 on: September 17, 2010, 11:07:11 PM
Speaking of God Morrison, I really want him to make a new New Gods comic.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #647 on: September 17, 2010, 11:24:29 PM
I dunno if that would be a good fit for him. See, while Jack Kirby made the New Gods into amazing cosmic forces colliding and doing epic crazy [parasitic bomb], Morrison prefers the New Gods to be ideas in a platonic world. Something more serious. An actual New Gods comic would have to change the style completely and go All-Star style.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #648 on: September 18, 2010, 12:25:47 AM
I love when he writes New Gods stuff though. JLA: Rock of Ages was excellent, and I just think it's such a perfect fit for him.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #649 on: September 18, 2010, 12:38:30 AM
I love when he writes New Gods stuff though. JLA: Rock of Ages was excellent, and I just think it's such a perfect fit for him.
Yeah. But in the current DC, they oughta give the New Gods a rest. They're good for the IMMENSE EPIC every ten years or so.