Jericho · 23980

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 01:41:05 AM
Why be sad?

I'm just mildly amused at the notion that people are seemingly REALLY taking one guy's opinions to heart.  8D

Like my Grandma used to say: Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one, and no one said you had to like anything that comes out 'em. So, that said, why care so much for what's basically [parasitic bomb] any way?  8D

This is the truth though. Regardless of everything else, at the end of the day, this event will be forgotten about. The other amusing part about this though is just figuring out who would agree to these criticisms 100% though.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 01:45:04 AM

don't be sad~
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 01:34:57 AM by CephiYumi »

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 01:48:37 AM
I kinda take offense to the female lead character thing not all female leads are there just for eye candy.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 01:53:26 AM
Less whining and a little more STFU! This is just stupid, IGNorance, I'd like you to make a Bakugan game for the DS, make it super gimmicky, and see what everyone else says about it.

That's just it, some people are just downright stupid.. If only I had the Death Note.. Still, women being eye candy is strangely sounding like movies and television.

Wait, Games and Movies/TV becoming one? impossible!

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 01:54:37 AM
I kinda take offense to the female lead character thing not all female leads are there just for eye candy.

I think it's more of the lack of strong female leads that aren't eye candy. How many women in games have a huge rack and nice ass compared to those that don't? A select few only come to most minds, and that's kind of the problem.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: January 16, 2009, 01:56:29 AM

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 01:59:45 AM
Ok, now that I finally completely read it and because I need to distract myself from doing my homework, here's my opinion 8D

1. A Great Cast with a Dud Script
-I agree that you don't need celebrities to have a good story, however, I also think that you don't need a good story at all unless you're an RPG/point and click adventure/MGS game.

2. Unreal Engine Overdose
-Can't say anything about this.

3. Sequelitis
-I agree and disagree. I agree mostly because of Activision and Guitar Hero, and disagree because of all the sequels to games I like.

4. Too Human Syndrome
-Agreed.

5. Wii Production "Values"
-Best selling console gets tons of shovelware. In other news, the sky is blue. More news at 11.
Also, the seal of quality has never meant anything other that the game works.

6. Sonic and Mario Visit the Rainbow Dentist (WTF?)
-I wouldn't call one main game each console generation as overused, and Sonic isn't that overused. Also, does he seriously expect a game where only one or two characters will ever win? There is a good reason for Sonic having his speed nerfed.

7. Motion "Control"
-Agreed that either it works or it doesn't, but really disagree with having Mario Kart Wii as an example.

8. Promises, Promises, Promises
-Agreed.

9. STRONG FEMALE LEAD CHARACTER = EDGY, CLEVER AND DESIRABLE
Lara Croft still kicks around, as does Samus. But alongside those two comes Alyx Vance (Half-Life 2), Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark), Rayne (BloodRayne), The Boss (MGS), Zoe and April (Dreamfall: The Longest Journey), Jill, Claire and Ada (Resident Evil series), Elika (Prince of Persia) and the list goes on. It's not clever anymore; it's not special. It's become a bad cliché that is as predictable as it is ultimately degrading. Let's stop pretending that's it's still a unique feature.

It is this single paragraph that makes this fail so much. Seriously, a strong female character that can defend herself and avoid being just another damsel in distress is just a cliche now? Seriously?! Also, WTF at his examples?! The Boss?THE BOSS?! Seriously?! Did he somehow miss EVA? And what about Ivy and Taki from Soul Calibur, or the whole female roster of the Dead or Alive series? Some one explain me how he could miss the REAL offenders?

10. CASUAL GAMING
-What? Are you telling me videogames are not toys?! I'VE BEEN LIVING A LIE MY WHOLE LIFE! D:
Seriously, does it really bothers you THAT much that other people now play videogames too?

There, I'm done I think.

The thread is making me sad.

D: *hugs*

Why be sad?

I'm just mildly amused at the notion that people are seemingly REALLY taking one guy's opinions to heart.  8D

Like my Grandma used to say: Opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one, and no one said you had to like anything that comes out 'em. So, that said, why care so much for what's basically [parasitic bomb] any way?  8D

So true XD

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 02:01:37 AM
I think it's more of the lack of strong female leads that aren't eye candy. How many women in games have a huge rack and nice ass compared to those that don't? A select few only come to most minds, and that's kind of the problem.
That is true I mean I can make better strong female lead characters without the big racks.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 02:05:53 AM
Well... he does have some points, although the way he worded it in most cases was on the stupid side of things. I find it amusing that he's acting like the Wii was the first console with horrible games, when every single console has had a nice library of less than stellar games.

Also, concerning the promises... it's quite possible that they thought they could do it, but in the end couldn't pull it off. It's a very, very common occurence for this type of thing to happen.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 02:07:33 AM
Well... he does have some points, although the way he worded it in most cases was on the stupid side of things. I find it amusing that he's acting like the Wii was the first console with horrible games, when every single console has had a nice library of less than stellar games.
*insert some reviews of the irategamer* *shot*

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 02:36:44 AM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 03:52:23 AM

I like my version better.  "Opinions are like PB vs. Ninja Lou.  In the end, I always win!"  8D

Seriously though, it really is just one guys opinion, and he does bring up some interesting and yet debatable points.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 08:59:55 PM
Seems I've been away for too long.  Missed out on a fun thread yet again. 8)

Thoughts:

1. A Great Cast with a Dud Script
Many of my favorite games have little to no dialogue, thus I don't set the bar all that high.  And when they do write something absurd it's usually good humor (Where's that DAMN fourth Chaos Emerald?).

2. Unreal Engine 3 Overdose
Funny picture.  My lack of PS3/360 doesn't allow for much else.

3. Sequelitis
This whole "sequelitis" thing bothers me.  IGN in general has a bad track record for "failure to reinvent the wheel" being a frequent criticism.  It's true that there is such a thing as incremental upgrades that dull in value over time, but it's another thing altogether when people insist that a great concept never be revisited and improved.  If all devs followed that logic we'd have never seen A Link To The Past.  This clown, I think, comes pretty close to such a ridiculous extreme, with his Mario/Sonic stab at the end.  By what possible logic does Mario fall under sequelitis?  We've had, including handhelds, five platformers since the N64's launch in 1996 (SM64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Yoshi's Island DS, and New SMB).  While I don't think highly of Sunshine, it did at least differentiate itself.  YIDS is the only one that failed to establish an identity separate from its predecessor.  But considering said predecessor was well over a decade old, I think it's forgivable.  You could perhaps make a decent argument against Mario on ports and spinoffs, but neither of those qualify as sequels.

4. Too Human Syndrome
Why does anyone care this much about announcing developer intent?  Whatever they WANT to do, their bosses and their sales will dictate what will actually be done.

5. Production Values vs. Wii Production "Values"
Shovelware has existed since the dawn of a successful console.  And for that matter the concept of cheap cash-ins is not exclusive to games, either.  Deal with it, weeding out the crap is part of life.

6. Sonic and Mario Visit the Rainbow Dentist
The Sonic discussion is older than dirt, yes we all know of Sonic Team's woes now.  The continuing and annoying prejudice against earlier 3D Sonics aside, I have to once again ask why Mario is on there.  I guess featuring a mascot in sports games is a crime now.

7. Motion "Control"
There is such a thing as personal preference in control methods, and it's something that no "professional" press seems willing to admit.  Movements that are second-nature to some are tricky for others, and this is why options are important.  As are the ability to RECOGNIZE those options.  Oh, THERE'S NO RESISTANCE ON THE WHEEL AND I CAN'T CENTER IT MYSELF, THE GAME IS BROKEN.  Plug in a classic controller, dumbass.

8. Promises, Promises, Promises
Like Sonic, the hype train debate is another older-than-dirt discussion.  Cute that he presents it as if it's something new, but at least it's one of the more intelligent ramblings.

9. Strong Female Lead Character = Edgy, Clever and Desirable
You mean it isn't?
Okay, as the guy who drools obsessively over the first female Reploid introduced, I probably have no right to speak.  But you know, SOMETIMES, it's not about eye-candy.  Some people just like women who are supportive, some people like women who can kick ass in their own right.  It's not as if the gaming industry is overrun with female leads.  It doesn't have to be new, it doesn't have to be edgy.  It may or may not break the norm.  None of that should matter.  Male leads aren't new or edgy either.  Gender is not a criticism.

10. Casual Gaming
So there's a new cash-cow on the block, quit your bitching.  Hey, I'm not that big into casual titles (that do not involve insane bunnies) either, but you know what?  The big hits are still out there.  Take a freaking moment and enjoy them, realize that maybe you DON'T have to play every game, or even every genre, obsessively.  You're allowed to choose what you like.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: January 18, 2009, 10:13:18 AM
I have looked at this thread since it was posted and now, three days later, still have no intelligible response.

Also how the [tornado fang] did I know boobs would come up in this thread so many times? Goddamn.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: January 18, 2009, 10:18:08 AM
Also how the [tornado fang] did I know boobs would come up in this thread so many times? Goddamn.

By virtue of being RPM, boobs had to be mentioned before a point was made. XD

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: January 18, 2009, 06:41:43 PM
People seem to love fatty sacks of flesh.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 07:20:51 PM
People seem to love fatty sacks of flesh.

Personally, I prefer the behind.

*in before tasteless black jokes* 8D

Still, for the sake of the topic, I'll admit that I'm none too fond of over sexualizing women in main roles, but I won't complain if it's tasteful.

Offline pyromonki12

• Net Navi
  • Just Jump On It!
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: January 18, 2009, 09:59:11 PM
The female lead thing is kinda true, usually all the women are stacked.

But that's like complaining that most male protagonists aren’t ugly. WTF, honestly, I can’t unsee raiden from MGS.