Golden Sun

Acid · 25688

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
on: January 09, 2009, 11:00:22 PM
Even though we will not get a sequel in the next few years, I still felt like making this topic.

Golden Sun

I'm currently replaying this, and it's fantastic. Anybody else played these games?
They're simple and light hearted RPGs. If you enjoy turn based roleplaying games with stats in reasonable dimensions (e.g.: Lunar 1+2 and Breath of Fire 3) you should totally give this one a try. Both games are really long and the puzzles can grind your brain to dust (At least... that's what they did with mine).

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 11:03:33 PM
A good part is, they can be linked to each other. :3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:11:25 PM
I remember the graphics blew my mind away on the early days of the Game Boy Advance, and still look fantastic today. Also it spawned ONE OF THE MOST AWESOME COMMERCIALS EVER

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:16:46 PM
That was awesome. Even though it had nothing to do with Golden Sun.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 11:18:45 PM
one of my first sprite edits was based on a GS summon D:

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:21:43 PM
This is another one of those gems I missed out on due to circumstance. There's hope for a sequel though as the series isn't forgotten and Camelot wants to make another one. As for me, I guess I should get to hunting for em.

I remember the graphics blew my mind away on the early days of the Game Boy Advance, and still look fantastic today. Also it spawned ONE OF THE MOST AWESOME COMMERCIALS EVER

[tornado fang], I remember this one and the snowboarding in church commercials as some of the best stuff from the early GBA days. Still though the "Who Are You?" commercials were easily some of the best commercials ever.

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 11:22:19 PM
I like how Weyard's layout is so similar to Earth's layout millions of years ago. And it's flat 8D

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 11:23:08 PM
I played a lot of Golden Sun, until I read up that the last boss was just the first two badguys from the beginning of the game.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 11:27:57 PM
You should finish it anyway. And the play the sequel.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 12:03:42 AM
Randomly, does anyone know if there's an official artbook or random scanned art from this series?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 01:01:36 AM
I find it hard to find any kind of Golden Sun art.

in decent quality

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 02:30:06 AM
awesome game
i play through it at least once a year
and this game really brought me to RPGs

There is a 4koma manga collection i bought years ago i think there is a site were you can dl it.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 04:20:16 AM
I played a lot of Golden Sun, until I read up that the last boss was just the first two badguys from the beginning of the game.

Fused. As a dragon. A two headed dragon.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 04:22:51 AM
Yeah.  I never really liked Dragons as final bosses.  Especially after Fable's dumb plot twist.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 04:26:32 AM
You wouldn' like the 2 final battles of the second game then XD

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 04:41:30 AM
I still can't find a copy of the first one (I was wrongly sold the second and told it was the first >< ). Oh well, I'll find a way to play it.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 04:55:32 AM
1.-Find a ROM of the first one.
2.-Get all the Djinns and beat it.
3.-Start a new file in GSTLA with your GS password.
4.-Find Dullahan and get your ass kicked. A lot. By a lot I mean hundreds of times.
5.-Finally defeat Dullahan, get the final summon, and brag about how good you are for defeating Dullahan (you deserve it).
6.-? ? ?
7.-Profit

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 06:24:46 AM
I have fond memories of the multiplayer battle mode and how some friends would dare try to beat me... only to get their asses handed to them almost immediately. I think the only time I've ever come close to losing was when one of them started the battle right away with Charon and it insta-killed two of the three people in my party.

Unfortunately for him, the person left over was my healer and packed some very potent defense. That aside, I would always take out their healer's first, usually pretty quickly, and then rip apart whoever they used as support. Summoning was for pussies when Isaac was a Ninja Master who can randomly one-hit-kill with Annihilation or smack the sun into people with the Sol Blade.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 06:32:13 AM
Oh [tornado fang]ing hell yes.  I perhaps replays GS1 and 2 about....a good 3 times each and it's never boring and what I love about GS1 especially is how each playthrough, you'll never see the same equipment (aside from weapons) each time (especially if you decide to jack the [parasitic bomb] up of Ivan's agility<3).

Oh and the music and summons kickass.  I remember being ridiculiously impressed w/ its style and graphics, especially w/ the spells and unleashes during battles~.

Oh and multiplayer, I managed to beat my friend's lv.96 party once w/ a lv.50 party XD.  All it took was him to waste Iris on a party that has Flash Djinni set up XD

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 06:36:43 AM
I have fond memories of the multiplayer battle mode and how some friends would dare try to beat me... only to get their asses handed to them almost immediately. I think the only time I've ever come close to losing was when one of them started the battle right away with Charon and it insta-killed two of the three people in my party.

Unfortunately for him, the person left over was my healer and packed some very potent defense. That aside, I would always take out their healer's first, usually pretty quickly, and then rip apart whoever they used as support. Summoning was for pussies when Isaac was a Ninja Master who can randomly one-hit-kill with Annihilation or smack the sun into people with the Sol Blade.

This post randomly makes me want the game more and wish that Issac was a playable in Brawl. He sounds bad ass. XD

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 07:09:23 AM
or smack the sun into people with the Sol Blade.

MEGIDDO FTMFW!

That's, IMO, the best critical hit in any RPG. Most are simply a stronger version of the attack, but in Golden Sun, oh no, that's not enough, you're gonna get the [tornado fang]ing Sun dropped on you XD

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 09:06:39 AM
All my characters are tricked out in the strongest gear they could possibly use. So my main team is sporting stuff like Sol Blade, Tisiphone Edge, Excalibur and Lachesis' Rule... and I think I have Piers with cursed weaponry. I always did love the critical attacks in Golden Sun though. Like you said, it wasn't enough to just hit for more damage than normal. No, it got all flashy as the artifact weapons got better.

But I digress. Very enjoyable GBA RPG. People will immediately throw out the overrated card, but it's still a very shining portable RPG. I guess the only fault I can bring up is that it can get wordy at times, usually a character rephrases what another just said and, to make sure you're still alive, they ask you questions that can be answered Yes or No which, while it might change some dialog at best, doesn't have much of a difference on the story (with the exception of one instance at the very beginning of the first game: if you refuse to accept the burden of saving the world, the screen will go black and white and you'll get the "bad ending.")

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 09:52:14 AM
actually Golden Sun has two different kind of critical hits.
the normal critical hit were it zooms in on the character and the weapon summon.
some of these weapon summons, like the Tisiphone Edge or Swift Blade have a different numbers of hits.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 01:15:40 PM
I think Felix' and Isaac's Ragnarok skill looks cooler than Megiddo.

(A little confusion here, that attack where they ram a gigantic sword into the enemy is called Ragnarok in the US too, right?)

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 03:10:48 PM
Yep. I like the upgrade of it, Odyssey. Stabs them with two swords then finished with a gigantic one.