• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #175 on: December 09, 2016, 06:29:51 PM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #176 on: December 09, 2016, 07:40:47 PM
Meanwhile everyone is trying to solve the mystery of Miyamoto's Samurai Mario shirt.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #178 on: December 10, 2016, 10:07:07 PM

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #179 on: January 13, 2017, 04:52:51 AM
The Switch presentation is less than 8 minutes away, ladies and gents. You can see the stream here:

https://www.twitch.tv/nintendo
https://www.youtube.com/user/Nintendo

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #180 on: January 13, 2017, 05:10:50 AM
The Switch is $300 and Region Free

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #181 on: January 13, 2017, 06:21:26 AM
O
M
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #182 on: January 13, 2017, 07:10:49 AM
Region free, YES!!!

I knew touch was coming but I was honestly surprised to see them doubling down on motion.  I got the impression that they were kinda abandoning that on Wii U since around the 2015 holiday, and figured if the JoyCons had anything beyond the IR pointer it would be cheapy/imprecise.  I'm glad the tech is there, I just hope they actually use it this time.  No more TENNIS GAMES WITHOUT MOTION, and no more WII REMAKES WITHOUT MOTION, okay, Nintendo?

I am curious about the "HD rumble" shpiel.  It's just one of those things you have to try for yourself to "get", I suppose.  But jeez, how much tech did they cram into those tiny things?

The wrist strap clip was a good idea, those suckers DESPERATELY need a bit more girth when using individually.

Loving the colors.  Also, secret shoulder buttons INSIDE the clips?  Well played, Nintendo.

No more free online after this fall?  Nintendo had better be SERIOUSLY stepping things up...  Smart move getting Splatoon 2 out before the cutoff, and while local multiplayer is nice, there seriously needs to be split-screen on the TV.  The dual pistols look like lots of fun if they do in fact allow using the JoyCons to aim in two directions at once, and this is coming from someone who hasn't played Splatoon before.

1, 2, Switch is the kind of thing that should be a pack-in, or at the very LEAST digital.  It looks like a fun intro to the Switch for your friends, but I don't see anyone carrying a dedicated cartridge for that.

Cannot possibly watch anything related to Arms without thinking of the "Dr. Wily fails at life" Spring Man joke.  You know the one.  Apparently, the Switch has not only all previous Nintendo system DNA, but also the Ultra Hand as well.

Xenoblade 2's intro had me seriously hoping Monolith was doing a team-up with Capcom, but alas, no such luck.  Still looks awesome, though.

SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP, FIRE EMBLEM WARRIORS!  SHOW ME IKE AND RAGNELL NOW, DARN YOU!!!

Loving both Dragon Quest and that pixel-art RPG, forgot what it was called.

Super Mario Odyssey, wow.  Just, wow.  I'm not a specifically 64/Sunshine "sandbox Mario" fan, but I swear I felt their collective orgasm across the planet.  A lot of people are happy about that one, I'll bet.  And I know I'll buy and love it too, I'm just saying, I was perfectly happy with 3D World.

Zelda is Zelda.  We all know we want it.

March 3, for both the system and for Zelda.  Sweet!  I was expecting mid-to-late in the month, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Was that Fast Racing Neo in the sizzle reel at the end?  Excellent!

I was surprised to see no mention of the Virtual Console, digital content storage, or connectivity.  Leaves a few unanswered questions, but hopefully Big N will drop some more news on websites, Treehouse, and such.

Also, no Smash Bros.  That's sad.  But there's so much awesome to digest that I have no room left for that sadness.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #183 on: January 13, 2017, 07:41:42 AM
So, NOT in the presentation:

Sonic Mania is now confirmed to ALSO be coming to the Switch (previously we only had confirmation of the 2017 not-Generations-2 game).

Also Bomberman R and a Puyo Puyo/Tetris mashup.

Disgaea 5!  I've been meaning to get into that franchise.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Trailer:
! No longer available

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #184 on: January 13, 2017, 07:42:42 AM
The Switch is $300 and Region Free
Your avatar really sells it. XD

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #185 on: January 13, 2017, 08:24:15 AM
So, NOT in the presentation:

Sonic Mania is now confirmed to ALSO be coming to the Switch (previously we only had confirmation of the 2017 not-Generations-2 game).

Also Bomberman R and a Puyo Puyo/Tetris mashup.

Disgaea 5!  I've been meaning to get into that franchise.
If you want Disgaea 1 is on Steam and Disgaea 2 is coming out on Steam soon as well.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #186 on: January 13, 2017, 08:31:04 AM
Silly question, but I take it that Pokemon Gen8 will be on this?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #187 on: January 13, 2017, 08:53:45 AM
Silly question, but I take it that Pokemon Gen8 will be on this?
Pokemon Co. has said that they know the Switch is the future but are moving cautiously, not willing to comment on specifics.  It is RUMORED that there will be a third version to Sun/Moon on the Switch, but nothing confirmed.

So, scouring the Switch website.

The one thing I'm skeptical about is this smart device app that's supposed to accompany their online.  I mean, an app to set play appointments is cool, but why in the blue hell is an extra smart device necessary for voice chat?!  Couldn't they have done that on the Switch itself?

Damn my 8 GigaCraptacularByte phone...

On the upshot, their paid service will include a free NES/SNES game-of-the-month upgraded with online play.  And apparently they'll be doing a PS+-style "exclusive deals" thing, too.

Some of the tech-details, much of which were rumored previously:
-Switch screen is 720p, capacitive multi-touch.
-Switch has 32GB internal storage with microSDXC expansion.  Max card size is not specified.
-Though they claim the battery can exceed 6 hours depending on usage, they specifically give Zelda as an example of gameplay lasting around 3 hours.
-There is a brightness sensor on the system.
-The dock has two USB 2.0 ports on the side, and a third USB port in the back whose version is not specified, along with A/C and HDMI.  The A/C Adapter port is specifically labeled as such, not sure if that connector is a different shape from the USB C on the bottom of the Switch tablet or not; it looks close but I can't see that clearly.  Also the back of the dock flips open, for some reason.
-JoyCons have small "release buttons" behind ZL/ZR.  Sync buttons are concealed in the rail.
-Accessories are not cheap.  Pro Controller is $70 (!!).  Extra JoyCons are $50 individually or $80 for a set of 2 (all JoyCons come with wrist clips).  A spare dock is $90 (What in the royal [tornado fang]?!  I thought the dock was just a fan and pass-throughs.).  Spare JoyCon grip is $30 and also functions as a charger (no word on if it includes the CABLE, though, or what type of port is on the grip).  The one cheapy accessory is JoyCon wheels, $15 for a pack of 2.  They look cramped, though; barely as wide as the JoyCons themselves.

I still haven't seen anything on what wireless signals the Switch supports.  I'm curious if it does 5Ghz or not.  Either way I'll probably want to upgrade my router since I have only an N.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #188 on: January 13, 2017, 09:37:27 AM
I know it's just a rumour, but a sequel to SM that is on a different console to SM is a very bad move.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #189 on: January 14, 2017, 05:21:00 AM
On the upshot, their paid service will include a free NES/SNES game-of-the-month upgraded with online play.  And apparently they'll be doing a PS+-style "exclusive deals" thing, too.
Will the free games be free to keep or will they only be available as long you subscribe? The one thing I like about Xbox LIVE's Games with Gold program is that can keep the games they giveaway, even after your Gold membership end.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #190 on: January 14, 2017, 06:20:24 AM
No keeps, it's free to play for the month only.

I know it's just a rumour, but a sequel to SM that is on a different console to SM is a very bad move.
The rumor is a third version and not a full sequel.  I don't see the problem either way, though.  I mean, Mystery Dungeon got away with having two versions on different platforms.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #191 on: January 15, 2017, 02:08:28 PM
But MD never had trading... Right?

Same Gen games have always been within the same family of consoles, but well rumours are rumours, so I'll just wait and see if I need to invest in a Switch. 300USD... Man...

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #192 on: January 16, 2017, 12:47:24 AM

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #193 on: January 17, 2017, 05:54:12 AM
But MD never had trading... Right?

Same Gen games have always been within the same family of consoles, but well rumours are rumours, so I'll just wait and see if I need to invest in a Switch. 300USD... Man...
Not trading, but they did communicate with each other.

Gen 3 was NOT exclusive to one system family, in that Colosseum and Gale of Darkness were both unique adventures that allowed trading with the GBA games.

And besides, we're already paying for Pokemon Bank for transferring across generations.  Compared to that, a 3DS-to-Switch wireless link would be cake.  It's actually desirable in that like Colosseum it gives you a way to do your own trade-evolutions without duplicate hardware.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #194 on: January 29, 2017, 06:13:28 AM
Nintendo Europe put up some semi-detailed specs, though nothing on the actual processor (of course).

USB ports are 2.0 but claim they will be updated to 3.0 in the future.  What they intend to do with those ports is anyone's guess, they were still on the fence about USB storage last I checked.  They did confirm the existence of a LAN adapter, though, so I guess there's that (I'd just as soon beef up my home wifi so that the connection is consistent when undocked, though).

Curiously, the tablet claims to support Bluetooth 4.1 in TV docked mode only, while the JoyCons specifically use Bluetooth 3.0.  The hopeful speculation is that this is another pointer at Switch-connected headsets (the other being the wired headset by Afterglow and the fact that it is advertised to connect to the system) so that the phone app is not mandatory for chatting.  Thing is, if that is true, that would mean that without the phone app, you'd be looking at Bluetooth only for docked, and wired only for portable.

SDXC cards require a system update before they work for some reason.  I guess not a biggie since if you don't have internet, you wouldn't need an SDXC card.

Nintendo's UK site is also more specific with games, telling you which ones are carts and which ones are downloadable (to be fair, the U.S. site has pricing on a few of the game, whereas UK does not).  The digital downloads so far are I Am Setsuna, Snipperclips, and Fast RMX.  Out of those three, Snipperclips is the only one the U.S. gives pricing on (20 bucks).

Skylanders footage shows the use of the touch screen for menu navigation, which apparently Nintendo has not shown otherwise.  Speaking of Skylanders, Switch version doesn't require a portal, the game can use the JoyCon NFC point, so traveling with figures is slightly less inconvenient.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #195 on: February 23, 2017, 05:33:19 PM

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #196 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:06 PM
I'll be checking out the Switch tonight. Impressions to come either tonight or tomorrow.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #197 on: February 24, 2017, 11:27:02 PM
Going to be getting one launch day and streaming it all the weekend. Playing Zelda of course.

Oh and giving one away too. Details to come on how to enter for that.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #198 on: February 25, 2017, 11:24:54 AM
Okay time for impressions.

Event opened, we walked down a red walkway right to the stage at the far end of the room it was set up in, that was nice. There were 4 demo stations for each game on display that was playable except Zelda, which had about 16 or so. Anyways, to go in order of what we played (went with my fiancé).

ARMS: Very intuitive controls. I picked the robo-girl and he picked Spring Man (really I just keep thinking MM when I hear that name). We went through the tutorial first. Very basic stuff. Tilt Joy-Cons to move, L/R dashes in the direction you're tilting, punch to punch, tilt to turn punch, ZL/ZR to activate Flurry which just lets you unleash a bunch of punches. That's basically it for controls. And then you get into it, where you get to pick which parts you want for each arm, and that's where the fun begins. You've got your basic fists, you've got the 3-fists-in-one that I had default as robo-girl, and then there's also a boomerang. In Flurry mode these get powered up and the boomerang basically becomes the Gale Boomerang from Twilight Princess. It's great fun, I can see it being fantastic for party mode.

Next up we played Disgaea 5 Complete, which was pretty standard as far as Disgaea goes. Nothing really special to mention there. After this we also grabbed our tickets for Zelda because we had to get in a group based upon time slots.

After that I went on stage to challenge someone in Quick Draw, part of 1-2-Switch. The way this works is both players get in position holding their Joy-Con down with their finger on the trigger (ZL/ZR depending on the Joy-Con) and listen for the audio cue. The game goes READY then STEADY... and when it says FIRE both players raise and fire to see who gets the shot off first. The game then says the exact time it took for each player to fire and even shows the angle the controllers were at while moving. I won the first game, but lost the second. Got a nice Switch hat. I was kinda on the fence about 1-2-Switch but I can see it's very well-made and will be a blast at parties.

Next up was Sonic Mania, which I didn't even know would be there. This took just one Joy-Con set horizontally to control. Knuckles was unfortunately not playable in the demo, and we could only choose between Green Hill Zone and Studiopolis. I picked the latter and it controlled wonderfully. Took a bit to get used to the Drop Dash but it's well made, and the level design is wonderful. Even more hype for this one now.

Then after that we played a bit of ULTRA STREET FIGHTER II. Did three rounds of this. First round I was Zangief and my fiancé was Dhalsim. I won in the 3rd round. Next up I was Ryu and he was Vega. He annihilated me lol, and he did again in the final battle between Guile and Blanka.

After that we did some Mario Kart 8 Deluxe battle mode. I needed revenge. Picked Fem-Villager and he chose Waluigi. Course was randomly picked, and it was Battle Course 1 from Super Mario Kart. The mode was Bob-Omb Blast, where the only item you get it Bob-Ombs and you can hold as many as you collect because the point is to blow EVERYTHING UP JUST BLOW IT ALL UP OH THE HUMANITY IT ALL BLEW UP. I was in the lead for a short while (when you're in the lead you end up wearing a crown and it goes away once you lose that lead) and ended up 3rd overall (we were playing against 10 CPU). I'm sure that in the full game you'll be able to turn off CPUs entirely in Battle Mode because you can do that in MK8 already.

After that we kept the explosions going in Super Bomberman R. Which is classic Bomberman action brought back to current consoles. So much fun. Also includes the whole "when you die you get to throw bombs from the edges" thing from some installments, and if you take someone out in this way you take their place and rejoin the fray. And if you land a bomb directly on someone while on the sidelines (you usually throw one space away, not in the adjacent one) you'll stun them. Great fun, and up to 8 players too iirc. We only had 4 though.

Then we went to Puyo Puyo Tetris. They had us stick to the Swap mode of multiplayer, which would keep you in Puyo Puyo mode for 30 seconds then swap to the Tetris board for 30 seconds and then back to Puyo Puyo for another 30 seconds and so on and so forth until someone lost. And the board you started on wasn't always Puyo Puyo, it would randomly choose at the start of each round. Very basic fare for both of those, and if you had a combo going in one mode as it swapped it would continue and affect the other. So it's really built for those who are good at both. However, my fiancé was rockin' the Tetris board while I was rockin' the Puyo Puyo side so we balanced each other out that way. So it works.

Lastly, we played our demos of Breath of the Wild. You start off doing a new game, and have to OPEN YOUR EYES. Then get the slate, get clothes and climb outside. From there you get to do anything, which we of course already knew. That's not the point of THIS impression. It's nice to be right into the game that quickly compared to other Zelda games that have absurdly lengthy intros *coughSScough*. I went right, found a stick, gathered mushrooms, then set the stick on fire and started a small grassfire because lol. Also apparently hitting apples with a burning stick bakes them, so that was nice. I then found an axe, cut down a tree, and entered the Temple of Time. Or the ruins of it, at least. Prayed to the statue of the Goddess Hylia, and then headed outside and tried to climb the temple. Failed. Walked 10 feet to the right and found a ladder. Climbed it, found a bow, and then jumped off... and died. Link's leg was bent in the completely wrong direction so that visual was well-done. Reloaded the save and then tried to climb down the ladder and ended up jumping off (not dying this time) and then found a Bokoblin base. Managed to take them out with the axe, including the really tough leader (this was in the skull rock y'all might've seen in screenshots being blown up). The leader kept leaving himself open long enough for my axe swing to connect twice and cancel his attack. He even leapt at me once and I knocked him like 10 feet away! Also stole his spiked club (which has like 3x the attack power of the axe) and killed him with it. Also when firing arrows you'll need to adjust for distance because the physics engine in the game is very well made. I killed a few more Bokoblins, stole their meat, and them climbed a rock... and then the demo time was up. And then we left because nothing else really interested us. My fiancé's playthrough consisted of him bumbling into the Talus Steppe thing (the giant rock golem) and getting murdered. He also successfully hunted a boar (headshots are the way to go, he says, as hitting them anywhere else causes them to flee, and you need to use a bow. Also be very aware of how much sound you're making, it tells you in the lower-right corner), and then fell to his doom and then drowned trying to catch a fish. Both of us were very pleased.

But yeah we left after that. They gave us cookies with the Switch logo on them as we left. All in all, great games. Didn't really check out anything else (wasn't interested in them). The controllers are very comfortable and lightweight. Forgot to play in tablet mode cause I didn't think about it, OH WELL.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #199 on: February 27, 2017, 11:08:22 PM
We have a confirmation of a Handheld/Touch Screen only game known as VOZE.  It was a rhythm game that once on IOS and Android.

Now before some of you start panicking about the Switch being a host of a ton of crappy ass mobile games hear me out.  I think this is actually absolutely brilliant.  It opens the window for more unique games and allows developers to not be forced to use the dock if they really don't want to for their game.  Granted I would prefer that it not be the other way around and having a lot of dock only games, though to me it honestly doesn't matter to me regardless because I plan to play games like BoW dock only anyway but I also know people will [sonic slicer] about not being able to play those games on the go since the portability is a major selling point of the Switch, it's still nice to give developers the freedom of choice.

It also gives me the idea that Square can make a Chrono Trigger DS port for the Switch but have the Mobile UI on the Handheld Mode if they want to, but hopefully nicer looking like the DS version.  I actually think the original Chrono Trigger UI on the SNES is kind of clunky compared to say Final Fantasy, but that's just me.

However Square better not use this as an excuse to port the Mobile Versions of FF5 and 6 to the Switch and call it a day.  Mobile FF1-4 okay though 3 and 4 need to have options for the Dock.  But they better not do FF5 and 6......