Megagirl R / ロックガール R (Official Wip Thread)

Gatuca · 270738

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Apatchiman has to be my favorite!  <3

Speaking of Hitoshi Ariga, he should try spriting some of the fan-made robot masters that where in the stardroids manga!

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
well then.....

the (for now) Official English Title Screen (Take notice Vixy-nyan  :D)

[spoiler]

also if you're wondering why i did the Roll eyes like that, if because its a style of inafune that i saw on one of the megaman OVAS, but i think is also one of the ways Inafune used to draw the eyes before, as oppose as in megaman 9-10 when they were more circular[/spoiler]

Here's My Facebook Account, Join the Megagirl R project http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002211482262

if you want to know my skype account, send me a PM

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
If it's any assistance for you, Udon's Mega Man Complete Works art book has sketches and illustrations done by Inafking, including some sketches done for the OVA (with instructions given to the animators).

You might want to import it, as it's an invaluable ressource for MM fan artists. ;)

Offline Stardius

• Lazy and overall passive
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
well then.....

the (for now) Official English Title Screen (Take notice Vixy-nyan  :D)

[spoiler]

also if you're wondering why i did the Roll eyes like that, if because its a style of inafune that i saw on one of the megaman OVAS, but i think is also one of the ways Inafune used to draw the eyes before, as oppose as in megaman 9-10 when they were more circular[/spoiler]

Looking good  owob, only one thing really bugs me and that's Waltz's nose, imo it's little too straight giving her sort of animal-like look, maybe making it little more curved like Roll's.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
They have cat noses and really weird eyes

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
well, they were supposed to be Inafune Style Noses and Eyes.....

oh and BTW..........http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=12122137

Here's My Facebook Account, Join the Megagirl R project http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002211482262

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Yup, I saw that earlier.

This "Dr. BB" is a pretty big fan of your work, it seems. 8)

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
well, they were supposed to be Inafune Style Noses and Eyes.....
Ok, sure. But they didn't turned out well it seems.

Waltz eyes are especialy [tornado fang]'d up, you made them like they are from the front view, while it obviously should be from the side, and the eyelash doesn't make much sense right now. Roll's eye would need to be more curved to the left, it has a sad expression, and not in a good way.
As for the noses, you should make them a bit more pronounced and reduce the shaded bottom a bit more, and also remove the black outline separating the bottom and the nose, since that is what pretty much makes it look like a cat nose.

Offline Lilirulu

• Biometal Y
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "NO DICE"
    • View Profile
Ok, sure. But they didn't turned out well it seems.

Waltz eyes are especialy [tornado fang]'d up, you made them like they are from the front view, while it obviously should be from the side, and the eyelash doesn't make much sense right now. Roll's eye would need to be more curved to the left, it has a sad expression, and not in a good way.
As for the noses, you should make them a bit more pronounced and reduce the shaded bottom a bit more, and also remove the black outline separating the bottom and the nose, since that is what pretty much makes it look like a cat nose.

Should it look alittle like this?

Roll's face is based of off the ref image (turn around) in R20

The Catnose thing is actually how inafune drew noses. I'm assuming it's a male only feature but I don't have much reference to say otherwise  so I included it anyways (roll doesn't have that feature)

And Waltz's head looks bigger than roll's becuase of her hair >.>

"Sumo Wrestlers are sexy by DEFAULT!"-[DA]-[SA]-[Pixiv]

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
But that outline in the nose doesn't seem to work properly in sprite format. It shouldn't be a problem with a thin pencil line.

It looks much better there btw lili, Waltz eye looks terribly big on the sprite, the one you made looks like a huge improvement. I don't really remember how Waltz whould look exactly though. Let's see how this changes translate onto pixel art now...

Offline Lilirulu

• Biometal Y
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "NO DICE"
    • View Profile
But that outline in the nose doesn't seem to work properly in sprite format. It shouldn't be a problem with a thin pencil line.

It looks much better there btw lili, Waltz eye looks terribly big on the sprite, the one you made looks like a huge improvement. I don't really remember how Waltz whould look exactly though. Let's see how this changes translate onto pixel art now...

Well it has been used on MM sprites in MM4

Gatuca's Waltz and Normal Waltz look extremely different But I think there is a image of Gatuca's Waltz posted above.

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
well, first of all, waltz eyes are made like that because that's how i draw her in the newer concept art i made

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=12018891

plus since in theory she has never been used in the original continuity, even if her debut drawing was made by Ariga himself, i wanted to her look more like an equivalent of Bass or even the MM GB foes (enker, quint, ballade), and since this is an fangame, it kinda make's sense, plus i saw the draw Lilirulu made and honestly i kinda like it except that waltz eye's are too small.

also.....

this serve as a base for my redesign of the RM, and to be honest, i get more used than my old attemtps at
Ariga-Style, in fact, compare it with my 1st drawing of Waltz http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=7555347, the suit armor is something i made, since in the original Ariga Drawing when Waltz debuted, all she weared was more casual clothes rather than a battle armor, just saying,

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
In those sketches Roll's eyes are more rounded, that's the only thing I would correct of Roll.

Well, I made an attempt of this, dunno if it's any better

Offline Lilirulu

• Biometal Y
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "NO DICE"
    • View Profile
Actually Waltz's eye is the same size as Roll's but It looks smaller becuase of her hair and the massive space >_<; I probably should have used eyes similar to Splash Woman's eyes for  waltz

And I don't think Ariga drew that image I think It was Hideki Ishikawa...I might be wrong. But I'm 100% sure It wasn't Ariga who drew Waltz first. (If  that's what you were implying) And Wlatz was most likely designed to be Roll's equivalent to Bass , or Roll's Bass. Thus why she was in the casual clothes. But seeing as Roll is wearing battle armour in this it does make sense for Waltz to also.

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
You are 100% correct, Lili!

It was indeed Ishikawa who drew the alternate universe artwork, with Waltz in it. His reasoning for that was "the good guys have girls on their side, so why not let the bad guys have some too?".

But yeah, I'm fairly certain that she was designed as Roll's rival.

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
yep, i meant ishikawa actually, i suck

now koidrake, the shading of the faces is actually quite good, but, the eyes, i dont like them to beign honest, too much..................."Doujinshi"

you know what, someone has the images of Megaman 10 title screen with bass, so i can use it as reference?

PLUS the image you made Koi is in JPEG, I CANT USE THAT  :|

Offline Sapphire✧9

• ネビュラ★ブラック
  • Neo Arcadian
  • An Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
i hope those would be good enough

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
i hope those would be good enough

well Nebula, i like your recreatiuon, i just want to change those eyes, for mnore megamanish

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
yep, i meant ishikawa actually, i suck

now koidrake, the shading of the faces is actually quite good, but, the eyes, i dont like them to beign honest, too much..................."Doujinshi"

you know what, someone has the images of Megaman 10 title screen with bass, so i can use it as reference?

PLUS the image you made Koi is in JPEG, I CANT USE THAT  :|
Of course it is jpg, that wasn't supposed to be pixel art, I used a brush. You would need to trace it again anyway.

Well, I tried :P...

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
well, Koi, Nebula, im glad of your criticism, however i still wasnt convinced with the eyes Koi drawed.

so well.................

what do you think?

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Better, but Waltz's iris seems a tad too big.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
The problem is the width of the entire eye. At sideview, given foreshortening, it should in no way go that far back.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Roll has a "wtf?" look now

Offline Gatuca

• A-Class Hunter
  • Sprite Doctor
    • View Profile
how is that a WTF face in the last picture, i will re-edit waltz eye to make it less bigger, but roll's eye is now Ok right? >U<

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
It's a WTF face because the white of the eye is a lot bigger than the iris.