Super "What Are You Thinking?" ReBirth

Mr. Haxwell · 1058995

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #13800 on: January 01, 2014, 04:43:34 AM
I've been playing the new Ys game for a solid 30 hours on and off so I've been checking the site now and again for any notes on some of the more obscure [parasitic bomb] to unlock, etc etc.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #13801 on: January 01, 2014, 04:49:40 AM
Bought Ys I II Chronicles+ on Steam.

This would be my first time playing a Ys game.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #13802 on: January 01, 2014, 04:55:52 AM
if you find yourself frustrated at all then I'd strongly recommend just about any other game in the series that's available on Steam or PSN. That one sorta carries over all the original puzzles and level design prevalent in the original 1987 release.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #13803 on: January 01, 2014, 05:06:52 AM
Thanks for the heads-up.

I guess I'll see how far I can get without cursing at the game.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #13804 on: January 01, 2014, 05:12:43 AM
Ys I in particular has some rather obnoxious design in many ways, such as how the latter 2/3 of it is played. You'll see if you get there. Upside is, the level cap is only 10. Though that's in part to make sure you're all maxed out before the 3rd boss and final dungeon due to uh, well again you'll see what I mean.

Ys II is a fuckton better in every way, which seems odd given that the two of them were originally meant to be just one long game. The addition of a projectile attack alone improves the combat and bosses by a lot. In fact, all but the final two bosses require the fireball and its homing upgrade. Its probably the only boss rush in the series I'll come back to just because they're so damn fun. The bump combat is also easier because enemies will pretty much do nothing if you just run at them diagonally. Though that doesn't work as well on Nightmare difficulty. Also you can set villagers on fire. Or gift them flowers and [parasitic bomb] to the point that they blush whenever talked to.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #13805 on: January 01, 2014, 05:36:54 AM
I got a French Chansey, still no Turtwig or other starters that I don't have yet.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #13806 on: January 01, 2014, 06:16:03 AM
Hmm...

Capcom said to evaluate their anniversary efforts once December 31 elapses and well...

I give them a C-

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #13807 on: January 01, 2014, 06:30:44 AM
Happy New Year!

Time to get my laundry.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13808 on: January 01, 2014, 06:45:51 AM
Thanks for the heads-up.

I guess I'll see how far I can get without cursing at the game.

List time! From best to worst.

Ys IV(TGCD), Ys IV(SNS), Ys I&II, Ys 7, Ys Origins, Ys OiF, Ys V, Ys VI, Ys III

If you like turn based RPGs, try Legend of the Heroes(XSEED versions). If you like more action RPGs, try Xanadu, especially Xanadu NEXT.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #13809 on: January 01, 2014, 06:53:50 AM
Ys I in particular has some rather obnoxious design in many ways, such as how the latter 2/3 of it is played. You'll see if you get there. Upside is, the level cap is only 10. Though that's in part to make sure you're all maxed out before the 3rd boss and final dungeon due to uh, well again you'll see what I mean.

Ys II is a fuckton better in every way, which seems odd given that the two of them were originally meant to be just one long game. The addition of a projectile attack alone improves the combat and bosses by a lot. In fact, all but the final two bosses require the fireball and its homing upgrade. Its probably the only boss rush in the series I'll come back to just because they're so damn fun. The bump combat is also easier because enemies will pretty much do nothing if you just run at them diagonally. Though that doesn't work as well on Nightmare difficulty. Also you can set villagers on fire. Or gift them flowers and [parasitic bomb] to the point that they blush whenever talked to.

I heard something about Ys II being locked until you beat the first game. Not sure if it's actually true.

That would kinda suck, because if I lose motivation to finish the first, I'll be locked out of the sequel.

But yeah, I plan to start them this month.

If you like turn based RPGs, try Legend of the Heroes(XSEED versions). If you like more action RPGs, try Xanadu, especially Xanadu NEXT.

I like both turn-based and action RPGs, but I suppose I'd lean more towards turn-based.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #13810 on: January 01, 2014, 06:59:35 AM
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Seeing as its 2014 now Jupiter Time is over and I'll go and change my avatar to something different.

Doesn't mean Jupiter won't come back though.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #13811 on: January 01, 2014, 07:05:47 AM
I heard something about Ys II being locked until you beat the first game. Not sure if it's actually true.

That would kinda suck, because if I lose motivation to finish the first, I'll be locked out of the sequel.
The Steam version has both as separate installations so I can't imagine that being the case. I know for sure that after you beat Ys I it'll close itself and launch Ys II with all settings carried over, but that's about it.

Posted on: January 01, 2014, 01:04:20 AM

I never cared to try Mask of the Sun/SNES IV, but I'll certainly agree that its sibling is damned good. I enjoyed VI if only because some of its more aged aspects sorta stood out in comparison to its successors, if that makes any sense. Namely random critical hits and the weapon system come to mind. Also actual healing items, not that the game was hard enough to warrant them.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13812 on: January 01, 2014, 07:17:58 AM
The Steam version has both as separate installations so I can't imagine that being the case. I know for sure that after you beat Ys I it'll close itself and launch Ys II with all settings carried over, but that's about it.

Posted on: January 01, 2014, 01:04:20 AM
I never cared to try Mask of the Sun/SNES IV, but I'll certainly agree that its sibling is damned good. I enjoyed VI if only because some of its more aged aspects sorta stood out in comparison to its successors, if that makes any sense. Namely random critical hits and the weapon system come to mind. Also actual healing items, not that the game was hard enough to warrant them.

I get the impression that the fandom consider the SNES version canon, but I prefer the TGCD version. Also, the TGCD intermission between Ys I and Ys II is one of the better cutscenes I've watched.

PS: I played Ys VI on my PS2 with a Widescreen hack. Popup aside, I'd recommend it.

I like both turn-based and action RPGs, but I suppose I'd lean more towards turn-based.

Legend of the Heroes plays like a traditional RPG, but the random battles take place in a "grid" style battlefield and attacks and spells have ranges, area of effect, and some follow patterns, like lines). It plays like a tactics ame, excpet without the soul-crushingly boring tactics and 5 hour battles.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #13813 on: January 01, 2014, 07:22:03 AM
Yeah, Mask of the Sun was considered canon for the longest time by Falcom themselves, but Memories of Celceta that just came out here in the west on PlayStation Vita is the official version of IV's story now. Just beat it the other day even. The ending was left purposefully vague and says that the events of the game are rather 'ambiguous in interpretation' and all that, likely just to allude to their being 3 versions of the same event (4 if you count that PS2 remake from Taito).

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #13814 on: January 01, 2014, 09:04:40 AM
Can finally use Wiimotes with my PC.

Also, I've decided to forgo the "Drink champagne and act like an ass" part of New Years so I've not become a surly crybaby. Tonight was actually just a lot of fun.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13815 on: January 01, 2014, 09:11:24 AM
Yeah, Mask of the Sun was considered canon for the longest time by Falcom themselves, but Memories of Celceta that just came out here in the west on PlayStation Vita is the official version of IV's story now. Just beat it the other day even. The ending was left purposefully vague and says that the events of the game are rather 'ambiguous in interpretation' and all that, likely just to allude to their being 3 versions of the same event (4 if you count that PS2 remake from Taito).

The SNES version of Ys V was recently translated. It turns out that the "Expert" version of the game would take a lot of extra effort to translate. I hinted that the team might as well just work on the PS2 version. Then I got an informal warning. Totally worth it.

PS: I'll probably end up getting a Vita to play Ys IV. I've all but given up on a Wild Arms or Megaman game, and Castlevania seems stuck in it's Gabriel of War rut. How does it play? Does it play for like Oath in Felghana, or Ys 7?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEFHB9HDyoE[/youtube]

Can finally use Wiimotes with my PC.

Also, I've decided to forgo the "Drink champagne and act like an ass" part of New Years so I've not become a surly crybaby. Tonight was actually just a lot of fun.

All this time you've been drinking?

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #13816 on: January 01, 2014, 09:12:16 AM
It's midnight and people are blasting fireworks, yay.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #13817 on: January 01, 2014, 09:12:46 AM
I'm 12 minutes into the new year here in Vegas as well. I just wanna sleep. Happy New Year, RPM. I guess.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #13818 on: January 01, 2014, 09:32:51 AM
All this time you've been drinking?

Don't I wish. I've only had one glass of the bubbly.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #13819 on: January 01, 2014, 09:41:58 AM
My new year started off great.

The dryer is busted and didn't dry my clothes.

HULK SMASH

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Reply #13820 on: January 01, 2014, 10:53:15 AM
Just came back from watching the fireworks in San Francisco. Never ceases to amaze me that I keep on forgetting to just stay home and avoid the hoopla. It was chilly this year, too.

Let's have a fresh start this year, RPM!  ~w~

When was the last time I poked you guys...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #13821 on: January 01, 2014, 11:09:00 AM
I wish I could replace my X5 manual. I lost it years ago and it really bothers me that I don't have it. the case feels so naked without it.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13822 on: January 01, 2014, 11:12:38 AM
I wish I could replace my X5 manual. I lost it years ago and it really bothers me that I don't have it. the case feels so naked without it.

I think I recently saw mine.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #13823 on: January 01, 2014, 11:24:44 AM
I'm certain that it got tossed into the recycling bin with other papers. That sure taught me to leave things lying around carelessly.

Well... actually, no, it really didn't.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #13824 on: January 01, 2014, 11:24:57 AM
Just came back from watching the fireworks in San Francisco. Never ceases to amaze me that I keep on forgetting to just stay home and avoid the hoopla. It was chilly this year, too.

Let's have a fresh start this year, RPM!  ~w~
Since when the hell have you been in San Francisco?

I did stay home and avoid the hoopla. It was nice.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything