General PS4 Hype N' [parasitic bomb] Thread! (Formerly: Playstation 4 Announcement on 2/20)

Police Girl · 6806

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 06:43:15 AM
I have no real insight on how these things, but I would assume they don't have a price for it yet.  They probably wanna feel it out first, I would have to guess that half of the price is made up to make a profit from making them and the other half is public opinion?  If it seems like the opinion is good they could go for more, and visa versa.  If I had to take a guess I think they'll try and get as close to $300-$400 as they can.  Wii U was what, $250?  They gotta stay close to that.

Perhaps we can discuss the matter in bed!  [eyebrow]

Seriously and less pervertedly though, judging by the hardware specs, the addition of the new camera which comes with it, and the probable cost of the controller itself, if it was at least $400 I think that'd be a more that fair asking price. I think it's also the only way it'll make a profit out of the gate. Like you said, they have to stay close to that. $500 is really pushing it for an upgraded PS4. I'm no graphics [classy lady], but I really did not see that the graphics had improved all that much to warrant an upgraded system. We'll get more info at E3.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 07:02:43 AM
Hmm, thinking it would be best to lock this for a while, that or change it into a General PS4 Hype n' [parasitic bomb] thread.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 07:03:24 AM
No need to lock it. Just rename it. I'm sure we'll be talking more about it around E3 time.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
:P

I'm no graphics [classy lady], but I really did not see that the graphics had improved all that much to warrant an upgraded system. We'll get more info at E3.

Unfortunately that's gonna be the case from now on really.  The structure of improvement for consoles has been: spirites -> better sprites -> 3D -> Better 3D -> ??? so there's not a whole lot to go to next ^^;  Sure, like they showed, they can try to make everything look hyper realistic, but that doesn't really matter if all you wanna do is run around punching and stabbing things x3

I guess the only thing they can try for now is true virtual reality.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Up until now, I never knew that [classy lady] had a censor.

Its not even a good one, its not a weapon!

Anywho, we already established that we really can't get much better with the graphics now.

We've hit the peak, everybody. Its all gonna be the same from here on out.

Archer

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Lol, that's the worst placeholder price ever xD

Archer

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
:P

Unfortunately that's gonna be the case from now on really.  The structure of improvement for consoles has been: spirites -> better sprites -> 3D -> Better 3D -> ??? so there's not a whole lot to go to next ^^;  Sure, like they showed, they can try to make everything look hyper realistic, but that doesn't really matter if all you wanna do is run around punching and stabbing things x3

I guess the only thing they can try for now is true virtual reality.

Pretty much. We should discuss this new true virtual reality in bed!  [eyebrow]

What a bargain.

HAHAHA

lel

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I bet it will still be 500+ bucks.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
The only way they could acceptably do that is if microsoft announces 720 soon and it's $500.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Even if Microsoft does it, I still think it's pushing it. Unless Microsoft really comes out with something that's going to warrant an upgraded 360.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Perhaps, but at least MS doesn't have the 500 US Dollars stigma, plus I think 360 is probably more popular in the US than PS3 so I can see people shelling out more without much thought.  And then Sony can go "hey, if at least one of the consoles is going $500 this gen then we can too!"

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Hmmmm, it's possible. Perhaps we should discuss this pricing & console wars matter in bed!  [eyebrow]

I dunno, you could be right. If the original 360 proved anything, it's that it can have a more than 50% failure rate at one point and still sell. Outside of a gaming system, I can't imagine any other piece of electronics hardware being able to accomplish that. I agree that the 360 is probably more popular in the US than the PS3. One thing the PS4 has going against it that the PS3 had was the Blu-Ray player addition. So a $500 price tag for a mere gaming console is steep. I wonder if the new XBox will go with a Blu Ray player. I dunno, I'm just skeptical about half a grand for gaming. But that's me though.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile

What a bargain.

Is it sad I can actually see stores here asking a price similar to this one for about the first year after lunch?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
So pretty much so far nothing was really announced about the PS4, people on EBay are stupid, and PB really wants Cephi in bed.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
That's EB Games (AKA Gamestop), not Ebay.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Oh sorry I assumed it was EBay, now that's even more stupid!

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
You were correct about the PB wanting Cephi in bed though.  [eyebrow]

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
I stand correct, then?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
What did you guys think of some of the PS4 trailers? IMO some of that [parasitic bomb] actually looks pretty neat.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Yeah, Trailers tend to look better than the final product. So for now I'm keeping my expectations low.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
To me, the visuals looked pretty darn sweet, but as I never actually owned a 360/PS3 I wasn't constantly immersed in the "HD graphics" stew of the last five years.  And Sony trying to do a gaming-facebook-profile thing is interesting.

But at the end of the day it'll all be ridiculously expensive, probably cut half of its advertised features, and have few games that interest me outside of Armored Core.  It'll still be fun to look at, though.

Hmmmm, it's possible. Perhaps we should discuss this pricing & console wars matter in bed!  [eyebrow]
What are you, an animal?  Do you not see how grossly wrong that was?  Learn how to treat a lady!

The bed's too crowded; try the hot tub. :V

I dunno, you could be right. If the original 360 proved anything, it's that it can have a more than 50% failure rate at one point and still sell. Outside of a gaming system, I can't imagine any other piece of electronics hardware being able to accomplish that. I agree that the 360 is probably more popular in the US than the PS3. One thing the PS4 has going against it that the PS3 had was the Blu-Ray player addition. So a $500 price tag for a mere gaming console is steep. I wonder if the new XBox will go with a Blu Ray player. I dunno, I'm just skeptical about half a grand for gaming. But that's me though.
In all fairness, Blu-Ray wasn't the "definitive" disc format when the PS3 came out.  There was that long and bloody format war to decide that after the point.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)