Joseph Collins · 471275

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1875 on: February 08, 2014, 06:38:10 AM
Found out that my grandma was moved to the dementia ward. :\
Ouch that sucks.  I hope my abuelo doesn't end up there someday, or my own dad since he's been showing signs of dementia too, though that's because of the amount of meds he's had over the years.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #1876 on: February 08, 2014, 06:43:32 AM
My great-grandmother has had dementia for some time.

She was living with my grandparents up until christmas time 2012 and she was moved to a home because they just couldn't take care of her any more as her memory slipped farther and farther.

I think she's in her mid-90s and she's had it for a few years now.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1877 on: February 08, 2014, 06:59:50 AM
Thankfully, my family has great genes, especially from my mother's side. All of her siblings (including herself) look roughly 10 years younger than their actual age.

My grandfather had to use a wheelchair because of a car accident he got into when he was young, but even in old age, he was really strong.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1878 on: February 08, 2014, 07:03:02 AM
The thing is... When my brother and I visit her, she's fine.  We talk to her fine.  Though, she is hard of hearing, she's nearly deaf.  You need to speak loudly in her left ear, which we do, but no one else does.  And, we suspect that she puts on an act when my dad is around, because let's face it, he isn't a saint in all this by any means.

The reason she was moved to the ward was because she was trying to escape. 

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1879 on: February 08, 2014, 07:03:58 AM
The thing is... When my brother and I visit her, she's fine.  We talk to her fine.  Though, she is hard of hearing, she's nearly deaf.  You need to speak loudly in her left ear, which we do, but no one else does.  And, we suspect that she puts on an act when my dad is around, because let's face it, he isn't a saint in all this by any means.

The reason she was moved to the ward was because she was trying to escape. 
Wow that's horrible.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1880 on: February 08, 2014, 07:04:30 AM
That's sad. :(

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1881 on: February 13, 2014, 02:42:38 AM
I'll need to get in to see her without my dad around and preferably with my brother.  We'll be able to talk to her, then.  Perhaps find out what's really up.

Posted on: February 08, 2014, 06:06:49 AM
I had a chance to talk to my brother earlier and I told him what's going on with our grandma.  He won't be able to get over here this weekend, but he plans to come by at some point so we can go in and see her.  We think the problem isn't so much dementia, as it is deafness.  She can't understand anyone because she can't hear them, they don't know how to communicate with her, and she's unable to effectively communicate with the staff.  If she had a decent hearing aid, this wouldn't be a problem.

However, hearing aids are expensive, and since she's in a home, I don't think her insurance will cover one, as she's not living on her own and thus her deafness isn't impeding her ability to live independently.  I'll have to look into that, but I think that stupid little loophole is what's preventing her from getting a decent hearing aid.

It's really frustrating, and anything regarding Mammaw's care will have to go through my dad, as he won power of attorney over her.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1882 on: February 28, 2014, 03:28:49 AM
Dear UPS, please stop transferring my packages from Amazon to the post office to finish delivery. They are not delivering at the moment because of too much snow.

Sincerely, an annoyed customer.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1883 on: February 28, 2014, 03:41:58 AM
Dear UPS, please stop transferring my packages from Amazon to the post office to finish delivery. They are not delivering at the moment because of too much snow.

Sincerely, an annoyed customer.

See if your post office accepts Street Addressing. Then again, you'd need to pay for a PO Box for that to work.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1884 on: February 28, 2014, 04:14:42 AM
Eh, this just worked as motivation to go out and get rid of the last bit of deposit the plows left for me.

Mailbox isn't blocked now. They should have no trouble getting in tomorrow.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1885 on: March 02, 2014, 07:23:06 AM
I made a bit of headway in finding the right people to talk to regarding my grandma.  I'll have phonecalls to make next week.  This is not going to be easy, nor will it help repair any rifts in my family, but only serve to widen them and create new ones.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #1886 on: March 05, 2014, 11:52:18 PM
Standing at a bus stop across from my school, I mused such interesting things like, "I should talk to X, it's been a while and I'm curious" and "I should work on X project, I feel like making that concept work" and "I shouldn't beat myself up for X and just fix it".

Of course, when the rain picked up enough to blind anyone without glasses, and numerous cars splashed water full of tree gunk at me, all I could muse was "where is that [tornado fang]ing bus where is that [tornado fang]ing bus eww wtf is that in my hair where is that [tornado fang]ing bus".

Then when I was on the bus, where the oblivious driver blasted the AC despite the visibly soaked passenger, all I could muse was "cold cold cold cold cold pneumonia cold sick cold lungs cold I hope I don't get in trouble for leaking all over the bus floor".

today was just great

ten out of dogdamn ten

8U

what

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1887 on: March 06, 2014, 12:43:24 AM
Standing at a bus stop across from my school, I mused such interesting things like, "I should talk to X, it's been a while and I'm curious" and "I should work on X project, I feel like making that concept work" and "I shouldn't beat myself up for X and just fix it".

Of course, when the rain picked up enough to blind anyone without glasses, and numerous cars splashed water full of tree gunk at me, all I could muse was "where is that [tornado fang]ing bus where is that [tornado fang]ing bus eww wtf is that in my hair where is that [tornado fang]ing bus".

Then when I was on the bus, where the oblivious driver blasted the AC despite the visibly soaked passenger, all I could muse was "cold cold cold cold cold pneumonia cold sick cold lungs cold I hope I don't get in trouble for leaking all over the bus floor".

today was just great

ten out of dogdamn ten

8U

Speaking of Buses, I have learned that, on a campus where tobacco and smoking are completely forbidden, the City Bus Stop, the one place where it is legally defined as being forbidden to smoke, is where all the smokers hang out and smoke.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1888 on: March 10, 2014, 07:39:10 AM
I wanted to take some cold medicine but it expired more than a year ago.  Darn it. :|

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #1889 on: March 14, 2014, 08:45:51 AM
Due to my own mother's lack of knowledge regarding modern technology, her know-it-all attitude regarding computers, and her impatience, I essentially spent 200 dollars on a brick. My HDD is corrupted so I have to see if it's remotely possible for me to format it and then reinstall windows from scratch. Yay.

At least I backed up beforehand.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1890 on: March 24, 2014, 03:59:53 AM
What the [tornado fang] is happening to my mother?! She was perfectly fine this morning (enough to get smart with me on my brother's computer when obviously don't know anything about computers), later into the evening she started becoming sick as all hell and crying. Now she's dizzy and delirious and probably has to go to the hospital.

[tornado fang]! I can't stand to see my mom suffering like this, I [tornado fang]ing can't! I don't want to lose her.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1891 on: March 24, 2014, 04:05:18 AM
Well that escalated quickly, sorry that happened man.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1892 on: March 24, 2014, 04:15:42 AM
What the [tornado fang] is happening to my mother?! She was perfectly fine this morning (enough to get smart with me on my brother's computer when obviously don't know anything about computers), later into the evening she started becoming sick as all hell and crying. Now she's dizzy and delirious and probably has to go to the hospital.

[tornado fang]! I can't stand to see my mom suffering like this, I [tornado fang]ing can't! I don't want to lose her.

Maybe it's because in the morning her body has more energy to combat the illness, but near the end of the day it's exhausted.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1893 on: March 24, 2014, 04:19:40 AM
Maybe it's because in the morning her body has more energy to combat the illness, but near the end of the day it's exhausted.
That's probably it, I remembered I got that nasty stomach flu/food poisoning at night.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #1894 on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:28 AM
A large rock threatens the frail sanctity of my sanity. I need to scream but am too afraid of being seen. I want to be known but don't know why or what it would do for me. No matter what I do I only give more of myself away without asking so much as a thank you in return. Even when I do think about myself its usually through the eyes of another. Too preoccupied with appearance to be myself. To be free. Unable to break the cycle. I ask for some force to break me out of my walls only to find I fear the unknown too much to allow it to happen. And yet the rock teeters ever closer in my direction and I panic again.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #1895 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:00 PM
Thanks everyone. The doctors said my mom is going to be okay, she just need to take things easy and get some rest along with her medication.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1896 on: March 25, 2014, 09:45:58 PM
Well that's good.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1897 on: March 25, 2014, 11:17:21 PM
A large rock threatens the frail sanctity of my sanity. I need to scream but am too afraid of being seen. I want to be known but don't know why or what it would do for me. No matter what I do I only give more of myself away without asking so much as a thank you in return. Even when I do think about myself its usually through the eyes of another. Too preoccupied with appearance to be myself. To be free. Unable to break the cycle. I ask for some force to break me out of my walls only to find I fear the unknown too much to allow it to happen. And yet the rock teeters ever closer in my direction and I panic again.

Please don't kill anyone. At least not other people.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #1898 on: March 26, 2014, 02:44:39 AM
Your vote of confidence is very reassuring. You are truly empathetic to the emotional needs of others.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1899 on: March 26, 2014, 04:44:32 AM
I have plenty of empathy for other people. just don't hurt anybody.

Suicidal Tendencies - "Institutionalized" Frontier Records