"What's Upsetting You Right Now?"

Joseph Collins · 469739

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
on: October 21, 2012, 07:38:44 AM
I've been putting this off for a little while because I've been in pretty high spirits lately.  But, I finally found something to turn my "rant mode" on.  But first, an introduction!
Had a bad day at work?  Toss it here.  Upset because you Chia Pet isn't growing like you thought it would?  Welcome!  Feel like crying because your baseball team got their asses kicked by the Detroit Tigers, of all teams, this year?  You've come to the right place!

Consider this thread the "negative" alternative to the "What Are You Currently Thinking?" thread!  While the aforementioned thread could be any kind of thoughts, this thread specializes in letting you let loose your darker side without fear of clouding up an otherwise emotionally random topic!  Need to yell?  Need to scream?  Need to be reassured you're not wrong?  Again, you've come to the right place!  And I welcome you to let it all hang out here (being mindful of the global and local rules, of course!  ;3) and what's bothering you and/or other people freely!  There is no such thing as "too much negativity" in ths thread.  :D
So, I said I had a something rant-worthy.  So what better way to start off the topic... than with something Sonic the Hedgehog related?

I don't know who drew this, but I find it amusing and accurate all the same.

So... this is apparently happening over at Archie Comics' "Sonic the Hedgehog" series.

On the left, the old, classic Princess Sally Acorn, vintage 1993ish. (?)
On the right, the new redesign after she's de-roboticized in the current storyline (I guess).

Where's that table flip graphic I keep handy?

It's not that I don't like the new design.  It's just... why fix what isn't broken?  ... oh, right.  Because Sega/Archie.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:56:35 PM by Phi »

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:07:46 PM
Naked ->
<- Naked [classy lady]!

For crying out loud, what's wrong with that!?!?!? I'm (half)naked all the time~! >0<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 06:25:15 PM
You know what's upsetting right to me right now?

People who constantly [sonic slicer] and complain about Archie and the changes they make. Not everything Ian does is GOLD, but I'll tell you this:

He's good. He's very good. He manages to make the comic entertaining, and at certain point I didn't think that was possible.

So, why does everyone [sonic slicer] about Sally's new outfit? Nobody bitched when Antoine got a bit of a wardrobe change.
Nobody bitched when Bunnie got a redesign.
Etc.

Yet, here it is, Sally with pants on and suddenly Archie is under attack. WHAT THE [tornado fang]?!

I mean, you can feel free to not like the design. But hating on it solely because it's different.

Or another matter for example.

"Flynn wants to kill off SATAM characters! BOO!"

That's bullshit too. There's shitload of characters from either SATAM and/or created solely for the comic. Just because for the sake of the story, some of them have been "missing" or "left" doesn't mean that's the case.

Of course, trying to explain this to the retards who worship SATAM like it's some kind of [tornado fang]ing sacred treasure... is well, impossible.

Speaking of which.

SATAM is... in my humble opinion, kind of weak. I fail to see this whole ultra dark atmosphere everyone creams their pants about. I like the music though.
It's just a typical cartoon where good must triumph over evil, and the only thing it has going for it (I guess) is the fact the villain controls the world since before the story begins.

And even then, it's not that original of a concept.

There. I finally got it out of my system.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:53:37 PM
For crying out loud, what's wrong with that!?!?!? I'm (half)naked all the time~! >0<
I approve of half-naked Vixy-Nyan.

You have the absolute right counter-arguments. (Though personally, I liked Bunnie better with her shorter, animal-like legs...  The long hair was cute, though.)  However, the Sally thing, in my opinion, is like when they did that "Ring of Wishes" thing with Amy Rose, but somehow in reverse.  I am rather interested to see how the heck they're going to explain away Sally suddenly getting smaller, younger(-looking, at the very least), and having a new set of clothes.

There's also rumors that this is Sega's doing.  Seems like Sega is actually taking some inititive in listening to the fans these days, what with Honey the Cat being a fully-playable character in the "Sega Model 2 Collection" re-release of Sonic the Fighters. (Dr. Robotnik, as well, but Honey is getting a fair bit more cheer, according to my friend.)

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:08:50 PM
I am way more interested in playing as Eggman than this Honey I have never heard about before in my life. Also, why does this collection thinger not have Sonic R? Man that game was awful fun

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 09:30:09 PM
Oh, it just has Sega's Model 2 games in it.  You know, Sonic the Fighters, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix... and um...  Daytona USA...?

... I actually have no idea what games are in this collection, other than the fighting games. (And I'm not even sure about Fighters Megamix.)

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 09:35:47 PM
What is Model 2? Daytona USA and Sonic R are both on Saturn, so maybe they'll be released together? Assuming Model 2 is some sort of rendering format or whatever.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:55:28 PM
Ladd...  Y U MAKE ME GO TO WIKIPEDIA??

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Sega Model 2 is an arcade system board released by Sega in 1993. Like the Model 1, it was developed in cooperation with Martin Marietta, and was a further advancement of the earlier Model 1 system. The most noticeable improvement was texture mapping, which enabled polygons to be painted with bitmap images, as opposed to the limited monotone flat shading that Model 1 supported.

Despite its high pricetag, the Model 2 platform was very successful. It featured some of the highest grossing arcade games of all time: Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, Cyber Troopers Virtual-On, The House of the Dead, and Dead or Alive, to name a few.
While I was at it, I also looked up what games are to be released in this collection.  Apparently, each of the following: Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Striker, Virtual On, Fighting Vipers, and Sonic: The Fighters, are going to be released individually on Xbox Live Arcade and the Playstation Network.  So, I was like... 50% right on my guesses.  Heh heh.

As for "Honey the Cat," she was a test character designed for Sonic the Fighters which hackers eventually found.  She's basically a yellow kitty-cat version of Honey/Candy from Fighting Vipers.  She has a cult following in the Sonic community, so news of her being brought back as a fully-playable character was met with uproarious cheering.  I'll admit, I thought that was pretty cool, too.  But yeah, I wanna play as Dr. Robotnik more.  XD

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:58:05 PM
I approve of half-naked Vixy-Nyan.

You have the absolute right counter-arguments. (Though personally, I liked Bunnie better with her shorter, animal-like legs...  The long hair was cute, though.)  However, the Sally thing, in my opinion, is like when they did that "Ring of Wishes" thing with Amy Rose, but somehow in reverse.  I am rather interested to see how the heck they're going to explain away Sally suddenly getting smaller, younger(-looking, at the very least), and having a new set of clothes.

There's also rumors that this is Sega's doing.  Seems like Sega is actually taking some inititive in listening to the fans these days, what with Honey the Cat being a fully-playable character in the "Sega Model 2 Collection" re-release of Sonic the Fighters. (Dr. Robotnik, as well, but Honey is getting a fair bit more cheer, according to my friend.)
But she is not "younger" looking. That's just the art style of Ben Bates, one of the artist's for the comic, and the one who I believe created this design.
I like his art for the comic, but I must say that if someone is not aware of all of this, then they might mistake her for being younger.

Plus, Robotnik did almost immediately modify Sally once she became... well, Mecha. He put a power ring inside of her, and all that.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 12:30:39 AM
Oh?  Well, if there's a legitimate excuse for it and it's acknowledged in the story, then it's not just arbitrary.  Even if it's as silly as the whole "Robo-Robotnik II is Eggman" thing was.  X3

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 12:39:46 AM
what's upsetting me right now is my loud-ass neighbor who apparently doesn't know the meaning of "inside voice" nor have any grasp of the concept of "respect your neighbors and the space you live in"

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:56:56 AM
Ladd...  Y U MAKE ME GO TO WIKIPEDIA??
While I was at it, I also looked up what games are to be released in this collection.  Apparently, each of the following: Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Striker, Virtual On, Fighting Vipers, and Sonic: The Fighters, are going to be released individually on Xbox Live Arcade and the Playstation Network.

I heard Sonic, Striker and Virtua Fighter 2 were getting a bundle on the PSN.

Anyway, I'm upset.
Not about anything really, just upset at many smaller things.

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 07:31:06 AM
Robo-Robotnik II is Eggman
What?

I have a question for you Sonic nerds (which I use in a complimentary manner):
Is Eggman's grandfather in anything other than SA2?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 04:59:48 AM
He was in Sonic X.  But, other than that, I don't know.  Haven't really been paying much attention to the comics.  Haven't really been paying much attention to any comics, for that matter.  Living far away from comic stores sucks. :(

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 07:40:15 AM
He was in Sonic X.  But, other than that, I don't know.  Haven't really been paying much attention to the comics.  Haven't really been paying much attention to any comics, for that matter.  Living far away from comic stores sucks. :(
He was mentioned in ShTH, and technically he's still alive in two of the levels (The Doom and Lost Impact.)

Anyway, what's upsetting me now is PS3 Lockups, why do they happen, why do they happen so often, and what the [tornado fang] is with the "BEEPBEEPBEEP"? Is it telling me "oops i [tornado fang]'d up sorry"?

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 07:47:35 AM
Kinda related

[spoiler=Many images are many]

[/spoiler]

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 08:32:37 AM
Dammit, when is Bunnie gonna get her cyborg parts back?  This new Bunnie is just so meh without them!  I demand the return of cyborg Bunnie!  She was cooler, she had power and could play with the big boys and kick their asses!  Now look at her.  Just a female piece of background.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:32 AM
Admittedly, the shorts on new-Sally are kind of sexy.  Or maybe it's just that one picture...  'w';

And yeah, Bunnie isn't quite as interesting without her crutches robotic parts.  Still cute, though.

Archer

Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 09:07:30 AM
Admittedly, the shorts on new-Sally are kind of sexy.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 09:13:38 AM
Man, I don't have anything relevant to this thread that I can actually share in here. Too many personal problems, is what's upsetting me right now!!

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 09:17:49 AM
While reading Sonic the Comic, I noticed that they have a larger variety of animal types as extras.  I've seen more insects in StC than I can recall seeing in the Archie comics.  Why this discrimination against the arthropod variety, Archie?  Insects and spiders need love too! :3

And in terms of actual things that are upsetting me...  The holidays are upsetting me right now.  Well, the prospect of the holidays.  Folks are separated; Mom is in Florida and Dad has a lady friend whom he sees for Thanksgiving, my brothers have their own families and plans; half-brother is going to Rhode Island with his family and younger brother will be dragged to his in-laws.  I have two options for Thanksgiving this year: Jack and all.  The same options that I had last year.  And Thanksgiving dinner is a big thing in my family; it was a time to get together with everyone and feast on turkey and watch the parade and dog show.

I guess I could order out for Chinese or something.  It's just going to suck, as seeing everyone else with their families and such will just further drive home that fact that my family is in pieces and I'm all alone.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 09:50:52 AM
I think there's like maybe... two insects in the Archie universe?  And I think one's dead.  She was a ninja spider, though, so that was pretty cool.  Despite the fact I hate spiders.  Then again, if you anthropomorphize just about anything, it becomes far less whatever-it-was-before compared to the original.  Try putting a face on a stop sign some time.  You'd never let that stop sign stop you.  Unless it was holding a stop sign.  Then you'd stop.  But only because the stop sign was holding a stop sign.

I'll tell you something, Q-Chan.  If I were in the neighborhood, I'd totally come celebrate Thanksgiving with you.  And I know a few people here would totally hitch a ride with me to do so, too. Thanksgiving isn't as huge a thing with my family, since... well... same thing, really!  We're just all so isolated in different parts of the country, and my parents are just so anti-social, that there's just no real "Thanksgiving party" any given year.  Hell, there hasn't been a Thanksgiving feast in our family for... God... I dunno.  Years and years, probably.  Oh, sure, we have a nice meal because of tradition, but otherwise?  Not so much so.

You know, I celebrated a Thanksgiving one time with my sister's friend's family one year and that was pretty groovy. (She was there, too, of course.)  We got to eat lots of different foods, there was lots of chatter from their extended family, lots of interesting stuff going on.  Man, that was awesome.  I was so happy to be a part of that.  It wasn't even awkward for me, since I knew some people there.  My sister, on the other hand...  I think she found it more awkward.  She didn't do it again after I left for Michigan.  Kind of sad she'd rather spend Thanksgiving alone than with them.  Then again-again, that family is... not as tightly-knit as they once were.  Bit of a mess, really.  Was shocking when I first found out, too.

*sigh*  The older we get, the less worth we put into traditions, I guess.  Not even Christmas is as big a thing as it once was.  It's kind of fun... but not as fun as it used to be, when everyone was around...

*bigger sigh*  Well, now I'm feeling the holiday blues...  I'm so clever.  Get to talking about things and end up feeling the blues himself... heh...  Oh well...

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 09:54:12 AM
Care to pay for a flight, JC? Aha.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 10:07:22 AM
My apartment is a small one-bedroom unit, and I only have two chairs for my tiny table, but I will make it work, somehow!  Even if we all sit around and eat on the floor in my living room!

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 10:12:20 AM
Man, if I had the money, I'd totally make good on that gesture.  And I think even if we just sat around on the floor eating Banquet turkey TV dinners or something, that would be just as awesome.  Sleeping arrangements, on the other hand, depending on the turn-out...  XD