Karai · 2839

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
on: December 23, 2008, 05:14:41 PM
Here's the deal: you start new game with, let's say, two characters. One of them has high attack, but poor defence, and the other one has poor attack, but high defence. During your quest you find items that can permanently raise those stats, and amount of those items is very limited.
The question is: will you rather try to balance both characters, or abuse their potential and make a God-killing Machine and a Tank?

EDIT: woot! 100th post 8D

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 05:17:17 PM
Hehe, I'll try to balance the both of them up...
Been that way since... Yellow. XD

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 05:19:41 PM
Holy [tornado fang]. My dilemma in Battle Moon Wars... Make Takumi extremely killer or raise his defense to get him to bypass any damage?

In honest to goodness, I do both. First time playing, I usually balance it so that I am prepared for anything. Second time around, I abuse their power as much as I can since I know what is needed and what isn't.

When was the last time I poked you guys...

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 05:20:58 PM
A character that's good at some things and bad at others is better than a character that's good at nothing. POWER it is.

Or I dunno maybe balance them it depends on what the game's like I guess.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 05:46:28 PM
Usually you'll ruin your character if you balance its stats. Getting it as specialized as possible will hand you a character that's GODLY doing something so exploit that something or die, moreso if you can group it with other characters.

Holy [tornado fang]. My dilemma in Battle Moon Wars... Make Takumi extremely killer or raise his defense to get him to bypass any damage?

I made him tank stuff, he deals good damage anyways and I needed someone with high HP (14.500) to help out the middle range gang I use. Unless you're stupid is really difficult to gimp characters in BMW, and I suck at leveling characters.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 06:13:05 PM
Depends on what game you're playing, really.

There are benefits to both sides.  POWER gets you some really stubborn SOBs, while balance gives you some versatility against those who try to target your weaker department.  But it is true that if you overdo the "jack of all, master of none" shpiel, you can really shoot yourself in the foot.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 06:33:04 PM
In my entire gaming life, I don't think I've ever let any one character specialize in one attribute, ability, or otherwise. I've always tried to keep a fair balance or leaned towards play styles that allow me to find a decent balance. The main reason for this is because when facing front heavy opponents, I will almost always be able to find a way around it all with a solid overall character and a decent tactic or 3.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 06:36:00 PM
ROBO-KY SMASH GO BOOM! MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

*ahem*

Power all the way.

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 06:36:50 PM

In honest to goodness, I do both. First time playing, I usually balance it so that I am prepared for anything. Second time around, I abuse their power as much as I can since I know what is needed and what isn't.
LOL, you'll want to see my party. Takumi, Saber, Archer and Rider = Power Tanks. The two Shikis = Speedy Tanker-Sinkers. Len and the Maids = Speedy, Slippery Healers. Akiha and Rin = Long Range WMDs. :D Best [tornado fang]ing party ever. XD

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 06:55:31 PM
i am all about offense. examples:

-in Pokemon, i never used moves that caused poison or paralysis, unless they came with the superpowered move. i did use Recover, though.
-in X8, the Hermes buster is way too weak, even with the X Drive. give me Quick Charge and the normal Buster anyday. it's the closest thing to the Real Ultimate Buster. also, i'd never use the B Fan. D Glaive is where it's at.
-in the Kingdom Hearts games, i never used the defensive spells like Aero and Reflect. though Reflect is actually a really good offensive tool as well.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 07:03:14 PM
I think we already went through how much you like your party, DZ

Offline RockmanHalo

• Just a regular Cleveland...
  • Net Navi
  • Polackman
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 07:25:27 PM
Well, in Fallout, I usually make my guy more agile and intelligent than strong. It usually ends up good, I can't comment on Fallout 3 since I've found near every bobblehead and as such, my guy's a God-Killing Machine Tank...in Power Armor.

Talk. Fast.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 07:38:34 PM
It's all about power and stat abusing in RPG's. After all, that's usually why you have party members, right? Each character has a specialty to abuse the hell out of. Balancing out their stats would ruin them and make the game a lot harder. If you like challenges, I suppose you would find that more fun. Myself, I would find that frustrating. I guess it comes down to the person.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 07:44:19 PM
Balance. To be ready for anything and to have a reliable character is my choice.

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 10:12:29 PM
LOL, you'll want to see my party. Takumi, Saber, Archer and Rider = Power Tanks. The two Shikis = Speedy Tanker-Sinkers. Len and the Maids = Speedy, Slippery Healers. Akiha and Rin = Long Range WMDs. :D Best [tornado fang]ing party ever. XD

If that isn't devotion, I don't know what is...

When was the last time I poked you guys...

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 10:42:43 PM