Does a Mega Man game need boss refights?

Sigma Zero X · 11250

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 11:07:52 PM
Boss refights are a must, IMO.  But teleporter hatches?  Not so much.  They can mix it up a bit, IMO.  Either spread them through the stage (ala R&F) or more than one stage (ala MM1).  Heck, it might be a nice change to have barely any wait time between fights and just have the next boss barrel into the room after the last one is beaten. 

On e thing I liked in 2 was that the layout of the room changed.  That's something that could bear repeating.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 01:11:03 AM
As was mentioned right away, the boss refights are a great opportunity to be able to play with RM weapons and figure out every weakness without having to look it up online or play through the game several times.  I don't particularly prefer the X1 method over the teleporter rooms, in terms of pacing, but removing refights altogether would be detrimental for sure.

I am, however, a big anti-fan of the Doc Robots.  If I wanted to fight the bosses from the last MM game, I'd be playing the last MM game.  I don't want to have to play through recycled stages to fight recycled bosses because the designers were too lazy to come up with something new.  Even in X1 or after every teleporter room, there's still a new boss to fight when it's all said and done.

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

Offline DiveMissle

• Net Navi
  • I am doing a nuzlocke!
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 01:57:54 AM
Even though I like the idea of doc robots,Capcom did a terrible job on it.It wold have been better if they changed the stages a LOT more :(

I lost to Guts Man and only cried for 5 hours.

I guess you could call me MANLY!!!

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 03:27:22 AM
I actually really like the Doc Robots and revisiting the old stages.  It was a real blast back in the day to see this mysterious robot appear in place of the robot master you've just defeated.  Also a fan of that first boss in 10 which partially copied previous RMs.  

But Doc Robot hasn't aged well.  At the time it was the very first time past robots were revisited and it was a novel way to do it.  But now they reuse old robots all the time, so it may as well just be them.  

Offline DiveMissle

• Net Navi
  • I am doing a nuzlocke!
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 04:35:15 AM
Also, I think it's very funny how doc robots just came and left without a trace >0<

I lost to Guts Man and only cried for 5 hours.

I guess you could call me MANLY!!!

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 07:21:42 AM
Mega Man is long overdue for breaking tradition, which is one of the reasons why Legends is so appealing as a series. One of the main reasons Mega Man became a niche franchise is because it became way too formulaic, familiar, and predictable.

With that said, my opinion on boss refights is pretty much my opinion on the structure of Mega Man games in general, in that they overstayed their welcome.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!