Protoman Blues · 50294

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #300 on: March 26, 2014, 10:54:45 PM
SNES VC has variable pricing too, usually between $7.99 and $9.99. I'm liking the GBA pricing because it's between NES VC and SNES VC pricing, similar to how the GBA itself was kinda between NES and SNES in terms of power (and sound).

I'm more surprised that we're actually getting these in one chunk instead of doled out slowly over the next 44 years as usual.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #301 on: March 26, 2014, 11:10:09 PM
The only SNES game I can think of that cost $10 on VC was Earthbound. I don't know of any import-only games on SNES VC.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #302 on: March 26, 2014, 11:11:40 PM
Well yeah, that is the only one, but it still shows variable pricing.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #303 on: April 05, 2014, 04:07:38 PM
Technically NES games on the Wii did that as well (Ninja Turtles, and a few Japan-onlys I think).  It's just really really rare.

I like the GBA-on-WiiU thing, but I really do have to wonder why they didn't bring GBA VC proper to the 3DS instead.  You know, handhelds.  And, for that matter, we STILL haven't even seen N64 games on the WiiU's native menu.

It really does seem like Nintendo's dragging their feet a bit.  I don't know if they're saving their muscle for when the WiiU gets some more retail releases to compliment it, or if they just don't have the manpower to support two systems (since Nintendo has to pretty much singlehandedly drive their userbase before most third parties will look at them, as illustrated with the 3DS).  Maybe a little of both...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #304 on: April 07, 2014, 01:50:07 PM
I imagine they're not putting GBA titles on the 3DS because they're using it as a draw to the Wii U.  "Everyone already has a 3DS, so let's make them buy the other console instead."  That kind of thing.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #305 on: April 07, 2014, 08:56:13 PM
That certainly seems to be the reason.

Those with only a 3DS will have to settle with the ambassador games then (those who were eligible, anyway).

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #306 on: April 10, 2014, 03:58:50 AM
I had to laugh when redeeming Mario Golf as a Club Nintendo reward, and the page warns you that the Wii Classic Controller necessary to play it is no longer being manufactured.

...seriously, Nintendo, no excuse.  They really need to get N64 games on the WiiU proper.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #307 on: April 10, 2014, 04:01:31 AM
I had to laugh when redeeming Mario Golf as a Club Nintendo reward, and the page warns you that the Wii Classic Controller necessary to play it is no longer being manufactured.

Wait, seriously? That's some bullshit.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #308 on: October 10, 2014, 02:58:29 PM
Oh wow, this thread's not seen use in a while.

Captain Toad's got himself a partner.
進め!キノピオ隊長 紹介映像

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #309 on: October 15, 2014, 02:53:54 AM
You can purchase digital copies of Wii U and 3DS games directly from Nintendo's website now.

US only obviously, but hey they're finally doing what Sony and Microsoft have had for ages.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #310 on: October 18, 2014, 06:31:13 AM
I wonder, with that GC controller adapter coming out, how many people are still interested in PDP's "Fight Pads"?  Basically, GC-shaped Wii Classic Controllers.

http://www.amazon.com/PDP-Wired-Fight-Pad-nintendo-u/dp/B00LSBNSAO/

I picked up the Yoshi controller the other day.  Unfortunately, their attempt to mimic the GCN's shoulder buttons got a little mixed up; the little buttons up top are the "standard" L and R and the big giant springy shoulder buttons where your fingers actually rest comfortably are the ZL/ZR buttons.  I can see that getting confusing real easily since an actual GCN controller has Z as the smaller button.  Also, I have a new appreciation for the GCN's C-Stick "nub"; a standard stick face in that area gets in the way of my giant thumbs when I'm reaching for the B button.

Still, it's a sweet Yoshi controller that'll work on my WiiU (particularly on N64 VC titles), and I'm happy with that.  The larger shoulder buttons have the nostalgic spring/click effect, though that is of course just for show; no controller has analog ZL/ZR buttons.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #311 on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:45 PM
But do Wii U games besides Smash even support the Wii's Classic Controller (Pro)?  I'm a little confused on that matter; it seems like controller compatibility was kind of a crapshoot with this thing.

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #312 on: October 20, 2014, 03:37:51 PM
Bayonetta 1 and 2

I need to try some of my other games to see what else it's compatible with.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #313 on: October 20, 2014, 03:54:49 PM
But do Wii U games besides Smash even support the Wii's Classic Controller (Pro)?  I'm a little confused on that matter; it seems like controller compatibility was kind of a crapshoot with this thing.

It really is.

Most games don't support it. Its basically mostly only used for Virtual Console stuff and for Wii VC stuff like N64 games where there isn't another alternative. Considering the Classic Controller is discontinued I wouldn't be surprised if this is the situation going forward. The Gamecube Controllers won't even be useable with Wii titles or any game that isn't Smash Bros apparently so the days of just having almost everything work are done apparently.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #314 on: October 20, 2014, 04:03:35 PM
To clarify, I don't know if the classic controller is compatible with the Bayonetta games, however, the Pro Controller is, indeed, compatible.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #315 on: October 21, 2014, 01:30:21 PM
Yeah, I was referring specifically to the Wii's controller.  The Wii U Pro controller is supposed to be compatible with the majority of Wii U games (anything that doesn't rely heavily on the touchscreen).

The Other Side

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #316 on: October 21, 2014, 05:20:25 PM
NoA tweeted that Link's Amiibo will be compatible with Hyrule Warriors. No info on what it'll do but it'll do something.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #317 on: October 22, 2014, 05:30:59 PM
It does SOMETHING so HURRY UP AND BUY.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #318 on: October 25, 2014, 05:24:27 AM
Yeah, I was referring specifically to the Wii's controller.  The Wii U Pro controller is supposed to be compatible with the majority of Wii U games (anything that doesn't rely heavily on the touchscreen).
Yeah, I don't really understand why Wii Classic compatibility is the crapshoot that it is; the button layout between the Classic Pro and WiiU Pro is IDENTICAL.  There's really no excuse for that.  However, unless the Wii-mode-VC starts accepting the GC controller adapter (doubtful), this will probably be my preferred way to play N64 games on WiiU for a while.

BTW, to those looking for the "GC controller in Wii Classic clothing" route, Hori's looks to be far more accurate than PDP's.
http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Battle-Luigi-Version-Turbo-u/dp/B00ND0E604/
The "Z" buttons are actually where they belong, and the C-Stick is more authentic.  I don't think they have the springy L/R buttons but without any actual analog function it's probably just as well.  Unfortunately, Hori didn't make a Yoshi version, so if you want that or Peach then you're SOL.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #319 on: October 25, 2014, 06:00:20 AM
Yeah, I don't really understand why Wii Classic compatibility is the crapshoot that it is; the button layout between the Classic Pro and WiiU Pro is IDENTICAL.  There's really no excuse for that.

This is just an educated guess, but it could come down to dev priorities. If the Wii Classic Controller requires them to implement a new device driver into the engine, they may not feel it's worth the time to put into it. In general adding new control schemes aren't hard as long as you think ahead and plan for it. You can make a good multi-source input code system in a day or two (or atleast thats all it took me in my work in progress PC port of Hamster Drop). The bulk of the time comes in where you're implementing the individual devices (keyboards, different controllers, mouse, touch screen, etc), getting the drivers working, etc. And drivers are not as easy as PC games in most cases. It's a bit more complicated in the console coding from what I understand, so I can see where that would be considered.

That's all I can think of honestly. Otherwise its a corporate decision to make people buy new controllers.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #320 on: October 25, 2014, 01:48:16 PM
One would think the opposite would be true with the whole driver thing on a closed system, but you would know better than me.  Also I'd wager you hit the nail on the head with "corporate decision". 

Thing is, I bought the WiiU Pro anyway for convenience (not being tethered to a remote/having a solid built-in battery).  But when friends are over, you really want to reach for a game where those old controllers work.  Thank God Mario Kart 8 is one of them.

The clickable sticks (which pretty much nobody uses on a Nintendo platform) are about the only functional difference.  If it wasn't for that, it probably would have been more economical to design the Pro to "fake" being a remote/classic combo, but obviously that ship has sailed.

As I said a while back in this thread, the Wii Classic controller was out of production for a while, but since Nintendo is licensing out third party Wii Classic controllers now (which you'll notice advertise as Smash and VC games being their main use), maybe they'll think about making its inclusion a bit easier on devs in the future?  One hopes, anyway.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #321 on: October 25, 2014, 05:54:35 PM
One would think the opposite would be true with the whole driver thing on a closed system, but you would know better than me.

For standard controllers, of course. This would include the WiiU Gamepad and WiiU Pro Controller. For last gen and third party hardware? That's where things get tricky.

For example, even though the Guitar Hero Guitar is essentially a Classic Controller with limited buttons and a different form, it is considered it's own device, and Activision had to work with nintendo to make drivers for it. These drivers are loaded in the system updates.

You'd imagine that perhaps the WiiU would have the old Wii device drivers kind of stock, since they seem to still be using the Wii Remote Plus in a lot of games, and the old non-Plus model still works on some games too. This however is hard to say for sure since I don't have access to a kit. And if I did, which I may in the future, I'm quite sure I won't be able to talk about it, lol.

There was actually an article related to this that I read yesterday, or the day before. The developers of Skull Girls made a driver themselves to support PS3 fight sticks on PS4, for their upcoming PS4 release of the game. SOny never provided such backwards compatibility, but they did sign off on the drivers once they were made so they're legit now. What's more is they're giving them out FOR FREE to any developer who wants to use them. How cool is that? Good Guy Lab Zero Games.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #322 on: October 28, 2014, 01:34:37 AM
You'd imagine that perhaps the WiiU would have the old Wii device drivers kind of stock, since they seem to still be using the Wii Remote Plus in a lot of games, and the old non-Plus model still works on some games too.
You'd be surprised how few WiiU games use Motion Plus (besides Nintendo Land and Wii Sports Club I'm honestly not sure which other ones do).  Unfortunately, Motion Plus games tend to demand that the controller be set down to calibrate itself; I'm sure a lot of devs don't want to interrupt the game like that if they don't have to.  So long as the game does not actively use Motion Plus, the original remotes work fine (I only have two Pluses, the other two remotes I keep with my WiiU are originals).

I'm sure the remote drivers at the very least are stock since Nintendo rebranded the Wii remote packaging immediately upon WiiU's launch; the remote is still considered a standard system controller.  Most likely the nunchuck as well.  It seems like it was the Wii Classic controller alone that they were phasing out, and I'm wondering if since the WiiU turned out to be a harder sell than Nintendo would have liked, if they've re-thought that position.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #323 on: October 28, 2014, 02:32:52 AM
From what I understand Smash4, MK8, Mario3D, MarioU allow Wii Remote use. I'm sure there's more too.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #324 on: October 31, 2014, 12:06:18 AM

Amiibo stuff. Yoshi's is apparently also compatible with Mario Party 10 and Wooly World. (And I assume the other Mario characters work in Mario Party as well, and Captain Toad will have some work but nobody knows which ones yet.)